Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited March 2017

Anyone interested in the Woodland Kobold character... mine has a very abrasive attitude. 

buggeroff.jpg
    1017 x 921 - 571K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Anyone interested in the Woodland Kobold character... mine has a very abrasive attitude. 

But it's not the middle finger! 

He reminds me a little of Louie Devito. :) 

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506

Never gave him a second thought til now lol.

As for the finger... that exposes one of the problems with him. He is very difficult to work with in the texture shaded preview mode. I've got a 27" monitor, so I've got a decent sized aux-viewport window too... but some iray characters look kind of dusty and indistinct... I didn't even notice it was the wrong finger until you pointed it out. I'm just going to chalk it up to Kolbolds having an imperfect understanding of human insults. He knows what he MEANS...  :D 

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Aww  he's cute and I want one as a pet :D 

edited March 2017

So, I know that it was in a thread somewhere here, and it was a question I asked, but I can't find it.

​I've made a custom categories library titled "favorites," and I know there is a way to back it up and restore it to another PC with the same library installed - but I can't remember how to do it or where it is.

Anyone here remember how to do it?

​I just spent the last two days organizing everything I've bought or downloaded as a freebie since last Black Friday - and I don't want to risk losing all my changes.

Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

So I picked up the D4M Charity hair after passing on the Faith edition and vaguely regretting it. Would anybody like to hear about them, or have any particular questions? I have a few thoughts but I'm still playing with them/it. I looked back a few pages and it didn't seem like anybody else had mentioned them yet....

I found the link on backing it up.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/990669/#Comment_990669

​don't remember exactly how I restore it at a destination PC...

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

A review and renders on them woudl be good. :) 

So I picked up the D4M Charity hair after passing on the Faith edition and vaguely regretting it. Would anybody like to hear about them, or have any particular questions? I have a few thoughts but I'm still playing with them/it. I looked back a few pages and it didn't seem like anybody else had mentioned them yet....

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited March 2017

Anyone who picks up the new Knights of Valour PC outfit, can you do a review? The promos are showing some really bad strange things on the legs that I'd like to know whether are the lighting or in the model itself. (you can see them in the first "clay" promo and the first promo of the thumbs)

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    RGcincy said:

But it's not the middle finger! 

Which is a good thing as that per the TOS would be considered "prophanity" and consequently would get deleted. It has happened...frown

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    barbult said:
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

Great deals on TheAntFarm, Magix 101 with sku# under 1600! 72% off which is better than FastGrab which seems good since there hasn't been good stacking in ages!

How did you get them that low? What else has to be in the cart?

I think she's saying the sku's are in that range, under 16000 (note is 16000 and not 1600)

But how 72% off?

Oops, sorry, was away from forums. You needed to buy two new items...

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

They seem to be full of mischief those kobolds.

With renders usually talking at least half a day, and spending most of last week on the same render (with the final render taking over 2 days of rendering time) it was a welcome change to just throw something together quickly with a HDRI and have it render in 2 minutes.laugh

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883
    jakiblue said:

Anyone who picks up the new Knights of Valour PC outfit, can you do a review? The promos are showing some really bad strange things on the legs that I'd like to know whether are the lighting or in the model itself. (you can see them in the first "clay" promo and the first promo of the thumbs)

I want to know too 'cause when looking at the promos for the https://www.daz3d.com/knight-of-valor-poses it's very noticable too.

• Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995

Do these help?

Knight of Valor 01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 112K
    Knight of Valor 02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 110K
    Knight of Valor 03.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 103K
    Knight of Valor 04.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 106K
    Knight of Valor 05.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 52K

Which is a good thing as that per the TOS would be considered "prophanity" and consequently would get deleted. It has happened...frown

I was worried about that when I posted the image - and was a little relieved when it was pointed out that I rendered the wrong one-fingered salute. 

At the same time, I've always been a "better to ask forgiveness than permission," kind of guy. :D 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2017

I was worried about that when I posted the image - and was a little relieved when it was pointed out that I rendered the wrong one-fingered salute. 

At the same time, I've always been a "better to ask forgiveness than permission," kind of guy. :D 

Sorry, I would  have flagged it for removal in a heartbeat. The "culture" of this thread has been established since 2012 as family friendly. I knew you meant it with humor though.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

So this is still cooking--Still at 0% after 1 hour and 28 minutes on my CPU laptop! I'm not doing an official contest, but if you want to guess who she is, go for it! I made the eyelashes longer and the irises bigger and whitened the teeth but her teeth were not shown in promos. Hair is Simply Elegant Hair.

Edited to add that this is now at 3 hours and 9 minutes and still at 0%!!! I'm not sure if it's the hair slowing this down or what...

Render Test.JPG
    651 x 584 - 124K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

If anyone has Simple Elegance hair, does it take FOREVER to render? The image I posted above still looks pretty much the same but now at 3 hours and 42 minutes still showing 0%!!! I can't imagine what else it would be...

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170

This is probably not helpful, but I've had renders take over 6 hours to show 1% and then completely finish (not time out) within 8 to 12 total hours with CPU-only rendering.  This is a recent thing with DS renders.  Not sure why it's doing that.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited March 2017

OK. Heres my thoughts on the D4M Charity Hair bundle (https://www.daz3d.com/d4m-charity-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s-bundle). All pictures should be clickable to open large versions.

The first thing I did was render all three hairs on the same model in the same (basic HDRI) lighhting. I'd been somewhat confused by the RE|Doll and EN|game notation on the promo picks and I wanted to get them straight. EN|Game is, oddly, the low-res one. When I was rendering that version my spouse said, "That looks like a Japanese resin kit.... and it does." It's very nice plastic hair and I'm glad I have it. No shaping morphs to speak of, but plenty of pose dials.

Next: the RE|Doll hair, which is somewhere.... in between. I don't know. I guess I might use it for distant characters? Geometry-wise, it's definitely in the middle: (9k vertices vs 25k vs 39k-- interestingly, the high-rez has many fewer FACES than the mid-rez) It looks okay.  It doesn't make me think of dolls, though. Its shaping and pose tabs are identical to the low-res hair.

Then we get to the high res. I was unpleasantly surprised the first time I rendered it, because it still looked like plastic... just thin flat strands of plastic. So I did a few more renders as experiments. The first is a closeup that shows what I mean. Then I went around into the parameters and found this hair has quite a few shaping dials for style and stuff, including one called 'messy'. Once I fiddled them, it looked much better, but I still wanted to see how much of it was the texture, so I also did a couple of renders with other hair shaders: Sloshwerks' UHT and Sveva's Kandy.

Straight from the box and disappointing:

Mussed up, better:

UHT2 applied. Which, meh. I'd want to tweak it some.

Kandy shaders. I actually like these on this hair the best.

Finally, I was curious how the low-rez hair would look with the other shaders applied to it. I experimented and discovered something interesting about how the shaders work. The Sloshwerks shader can't completely overwrite the D4M one; the D4M high-rez one uses a flat color in the Base Color field and puts the texture in the Diffuse Overlay. The med-rez one has a texture in both Base Color AND all the places the HR one does, so I'm not quite sure what's up with that. (They both also use displacement and surface subd3.)

Anyhow, UHT2 puts a texture in the Base Color but ignores Diffuse Overlay so when you apply it, you get a kind of hybrid of both. The Kandy shader resets Diffuse Overlay, though, so applying it cleared the original shader and let me apply UHT to the Low-Rez hair. Which... there's not much reason to do again now that I've done it. 

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and will be picking up Faith when it's discounted again. 

Resin Figure.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Resin Figure3.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Resin Figure Med Rez.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Resin Figure4.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Resin Figure5.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Resin Figure6 Slosh Hair.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Resin Figure6 Sveva Hair.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Resin Figure Low Rez Hair Slosh textures.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

OK. Heres my thoughts on the D4M Charity Hair bundle (https://www.daz3d.com/d4m-charity-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s-bundle). All pictures should be clickable to open large versions.

Nice review! :) I do find it interesting that the promos for the hi res look so much better than it actually rendered. But, your review confirms that this and the Faith set stay on my wishlist.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited March 2017

Some one asked for a render of the Knights of Valor for Gen3M.

Edited to add, the poke through at the top on the torso armor is my fault as I did not dial the morph for Darius 7 into the clothes. There is a morph there and it works perfectly, I just forgot to do it.  Once i did it fit over the the other parts perfectly.  Also, the only reason his head is at that angle is because its part of the pose I picked lol.  Has nothing to do with the neck its find when his head is in a normal position.

KNIGHTS OF VALOR.png
    988 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

@dreamfarmer  Thanks for showing those and the explanation. It will help people determine what they need.
    @icedragonart   Appreciate the Knights of Valor  (and @bluebird3d   ) 

If anyone has Simple Elegance hair, does it take FOREVER to render? The image I posted above still looks pretty much the same but now at 3 hours and 42 minutes still showing 0%!!! I can't imagine what else it would be...

What size render is that? Over 1000 px? 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Here is an example of how the UltraGenesis presets differ if you don't have the required character morphs. I have also discovered that the product  requires Genesis 3 Female Head Morphs, which are not listed on the product page.

This is Edith, which dials in some of Victoria 7 and some of Eva 7 as well as various morphs that I believe are from Genesis 3 Female Head Morphs.

This is Edith, without Victoria 7 or Eva 7. You can see that she looks quite a bit different, but not bad.

I bought the set for a song in the sale and this is my rendering of Gumdrop Granny. I don't have Eva or karen so I just dialed her in to a standard G3F. The skin is Ceridwen and that's Toulouse hair with UHT2 shaders.

Jean_portrait.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by marble on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    marble said:
    barbult said:

Here is an example of how the UltraGenesis presets differ if you don't have the required character morphs. I have also discovered that the product  requires Genesis 3 Female Head Morphs, which are not listed on the product page.

This is Edith, which dials in some of Victoria 7 and some of Eva 7 as well as various morphs that I believe are from Genesis 3 Female Head Morphs.

This is Edith, without Victoria 7 or Eva 7. You can see that she looks quite a bit different, but not bad.

I bought the set for a song in the sale and this is my rendering of Gumdrop Granny. I don't have Eva or karen so I just dialed her in to a standard G3F. The skin is Ceridwen and that's Toulouse hair with UHT2 shaders.

She looks pretty good even without the "required" character morphs. The only thing that looks a little off is her eyes. They seem to be very angled down toward the outer edges. Or is it just her makeup that gives that effect?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:

She looks pretty good even without the "required" character morphs. The only thing that looks a little off is her eyes. They seem to be very angled down toward the outer edges. Or is it just her makeup that gives that effect?

Yes, I wasn't happy with the eyes either. They also seem a little crossed to me. I guess I could work on those bits though should I need to use her in a scene. I wish we had some more mature skins to select from though. I can add ageing morphs and a few veins but, apart from Opal, I don't have anything to suggest an older woman.

Post edited by marble on

Very nice, @Marble!  She's a unique combination and a very down-to-earth character. Thanks for showing her.

Check out FD Odelle over at Renderosity. She's a gem for an older texture for G3F.

This discussion has been closed.