Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

You can add more sections to the hair by clicking the blue button on the bottom of the plugin. There are two buttons at the bottom and one of them lets you change a few settings including how many sections hair can have.

Ah... thanks.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:
    My little attempt. Thanks Alex for all the help!

Bruno morphs and skin by me.

Thanks to you for your patience Richard.
    Is this render done in Lux? It looks really cool! :)

Hiya Alex,

No, it's I that's been ever so thankful for all your help and your patience with me for all my questions. I simply can not wait for the update though. I don't use Reality. I used Photoshop for a little bit of filter magic. I'm a huge Photoshop fan. Have some pretty nice upscale plugins for it from Alien Skin, Topaz Labs and Flaming Pear.

The one thing I see that would put more of an advantage to getting realistic curly hair as what Stevie wants is, from what I can see when trying to just get the strands to curl slightly, is that there are not many sections per strand. Perhaps for curly hair there can be a way to simply put a slider there to add more sections to the hair. Might cause longer render times but compared to transmapped hair .... you get the picture.... Some of that hair takes FOREVER to render.

Dearly looking forward to the shaders. I read that others here are already importing shaders but I'm not seeing how to do that. Can you explain how that's done? If it's down at the paint section that means that's where my suggestion comes in to where it would be nice to have a way to check off all the areas we want the shader to affect without having to select one body section at a time to apply the shader too.

Hi Richard, here is how you can change the shader on a LAMH Renderman Group node.

First image shows a quick render of a furball, as it comes from LAMH. In the Scene Explorer, I choose the RenderMan item (in case you have a figure you can also do a multi-select), and I can apply a shader from the Library: in the 2nd image I applied a uberSurface shader, changed the Diffuse Color from the Surface Panel and rendered.
    You may even create a brand new shader or edit an existing one in the Shader Mixer, and apply it to the Renderman surface.
    Hope this helps...

rendered_with_new_shader.jpg
    1914 x 1121 - 360K
    furry_ball.jpg
    605 x 606 - 199K
    edited December 1969

Ah, but this is all taking place in DAZ Studio Surfaces tab and not the plugin itself, correct??

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Ah, but this is all taking place in DAZ Studio Surfaces tab and not the plugin itself, correct??

Yes, in LAMH you can "only" assign 3 shaders (standard, advanced, ambient occlusion and soon the new human hair), but if you want to get wild and apply other shaders, you can do it directly in the Studio viewport...

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    So I've got this idea to try and replicate Merida from the Brave movie, but can't seem to figure out how to twist the hair so that it looks like the curls in the picture below. Anyone have any ideas....?

Hi Stevie, I think what you could try to do, is to setup the project with 25 or maybe also 30 hairpoints (you can access that setting from the blue button on the UI bottom right); after that I'd try to spherize and shape the hair a little, use the curl deformer, and after that apply some clumping to the hair.
    That should give you a similar result.

Thank you Alessandro! Shall try that soon!

edited December 1969

I don't have any hair shaders that look natural. SO I messed with the simple one that we have for now and got an acceptable look. No sheen to the hair but it's OK... New style... Male Mod! :P

MaleMod.jpg
    735 x 713 - 90K
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You're a hair-dresser, Richard, so this should be right up your alley! Hmm, maybe you can even previs various styles to your customer, the only limit is the imagination. I watched a program on Discovery or National Geographic and there is a software-program that can previs clothes directly onto a client on a monitor. With just a click of the mouse, they could change everything. The client turns around, and this shows up on the monitor in real-time. Think how cool it would be to previs your clients with different styles of hair, and as they turn their head, it shows in real-time on the monitor.

edited December 1969

It's a thought but honestly I have such a vivid imagination and my clients are pretty happy with what I do I found those programs a bit annoying. Previs = preview?

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I don't have any hair shaders that look natural. SO I messed with the simple one that we have for now and got an acceptable look. No sheen to the hair but it's OK... New style... Male Mod! :P

The styling it's really cool! Please hang in there while we complete 1.1 and provide you a more realistic shader. BTW Richard, is this rendered with a UE2? Did you try increasing specular intensity in the shader?

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    It's a thought but honestly I have such a vivid imagination and my clients are pretty happy with what I do I found those programs a bit annoying. Previs = preview?

Well, just a thought.

Previs=Pre-visualization.

edited December 1969

Hi Alex,

I never use advanced shaders. I like basic shaders. All the freebie packs I've ever done make use of what's revealed in the Surfaces tab by default so as not to confuse new users. So no, this is only basic shader surfaces I used. I'm sure I could get more out of it if I were using one of the advanced shaders but DAZ has not revealed those by default as of yet (as in load up a figure, go to the Surfaces tab and see all the new options. They slowly reveal things like tiled surfaces and what not.

Sorry Norse Graphics, I didn't under stand your shorthand.

edited December 1969

Bruno wearing Crazy Hawk - Black roots, Red tips and Brick Specular - Polished up in Photoshop to bring out more skin detail. Hawk is as it appears in the render...

Bruno-CrazyHawk.jpg
    997 x 1068 - 303K
    edited January 2013

Rendered in DAZ Studio with one directional light and Uber Environment 2 light-set. Postwork in Photoshop CS4; Blizzard-action applied on top of picture. Used only the basic long-fur in LAMH, maybe a little shortened. Exported at 750.000 to DS 4.5 Pro as Renderman splines. Time used on the original 2560x2048 picture; 1 hour and 40 minutes. Time saved by using LAMH; 8-9 hours easily...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8397305634/in/photostream

8397305634_d6f935fb37_c.jpg
    800 x 640 - 323K
    Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm...Now that I have this plug in, I've always wanted to do a wet-skinned render of one of my characters, but could never find good wet hair; any tips for how to go about this on LAMH? http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/selene-hair/61616 ~ This'll be the exact hair I'm attempting to wettify (xD) if that helps any at all! Don't know if it makes a difference though, all wet hair's dark, clumpy and shiny, right?

edited December 1969

You would need a really good shader to add the sort of sheen you would need to make it look wet. I think Alex is working on shaders.

edited December 1969

Brush Up Style.

BrushUPStyle.jpg
    1084 x 945 - 332K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Ohhhh wow RamWolf !! that's cool!!

edited December 1969

Thanks so much. Lost the file. Redid it. Tried my hand at exporting it as an OBJ and then took it into Hexagon to clean it up and then ZBrush to move a few hairs around since I know it won't crash out on me. Imported it back into DAZ Studio and applied one of my own hair textures. Came out fairly well. This would most certainly look better on a female character with the curled burns but Oh well. Bruno didn't mind modeling it for me! :P

I have a few questions for Alex when he gets back. I hope his cold is better. I got hit with it. Not how I wanted to spend the tail end of my vacation but it is what it is.

1) What export settings should I use to export in obj?
    2) Is this UV Mapped and if not then how do I go about doing that? I don't need anything fancy but I find my texture maps seems to be "sideways" since the roots are to the back and then tips are being put to the front of the bangs and that one curled side. Looks odd but kinda punk so no biggie for now.
    3) Wish there was an eraser tool. I see one but I don't see any brushes for it. I really need to learn how to clean up areas around the face and ears.

Thanks Alex. :-) Really loving the plugin at this point .

First_Hair_from_LAMH.jpg
    997 x 1068 - 176K
    edited December 1969

OK... went all the way. Transferred the hair to Genesis. Worked. Redid the texture map in Photoshop, mostly worked but Bruno is now saying:

"Why do I feel like I have a babushka on my head? Seriously Richard, WTF dood!"

:P

First_Hair_from_LAMH02.jpg
    997 x 1068 - 185K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks so much. Lost the file. Redid it. Tried my hand at exporting it as an OBJ and then took it into Hexagon to clean it up and then ZBrush to move a few hairs around since I know it won't crash out on me. Imported it back into DAZ Studio and applied one of my own hair textures. Came out fairly well. This would most certainly look better on a female character with the curled burns but Oh well. Bruno didn't mind modeling it for me! :P

I have a few questions for Alex when he gets back. I hope his cold is better. I got hit with it. Not how I wanted to spend the tail end of my vacation but it is what it is.

2) Is this UV Mapped and if not then how do I go about doing that? I don't need anything fancy but I find my texture maps seems to be "sideways" since the roots are to the back and then tips are being put to the front of the bangs and that one curled side. Looks odd but kinda punk so no biggie for now.
    3) Wish there was an eraser tool. I see one but I don't see any brushes for it. I really need to learn how to clean up areas around the face and ears.

Very nice, RAMWolff!

I'm sure I speak for Alex when I say that we're glad you're liking LAMH. More fun is on the way, I promise.

Kendall

edited December 1969

I have a problem ......LAMH has disappeared .......Ican't find it in the Studio .......I tried reinstalling it and I keep getting an error message unable to unpack the .dll,

edited December 1969

Thanks Kendall. And thanks for your help as well as Alex'

I hope you find a solution Carrie. That really sux hon! :-(

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    I have a problem ......LAMH has disappeared .......Ican't find it in the Studio .......I tried reinstalling it and I keep getting an error message unable to unpack the .dll,

Hi carrie,

There is nothing to "unpack" with the dll. Please contact me via email so that I can help resolve your issue: krsears (at) trdc.biz

Kendall

edited January 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8400907049/in/photostream

With use of LAMH on Genesis in the Diner set. Uber Environment 2 light, and one directional light.

8400907049_66ef5afbc1_c.jpg
    640 x 800 - 208K
    Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Brush Up Style.

Well, that happens when tools are in the right hands. Richard is a hair dresser and this model is really really good. I couldn't come any closer to this even having a longer experience with using LAMH.

edited January 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8400907049/in/photostream

With use of LAMH on Genesis in the Diner set. Uber Environment 2 light, and one directional light.

Very well done Norse! :)

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Dear Richard, here I am and I'm glad you are loving it :) Your render it's really really good, congratulations!
    Indeed LAMH, as all other applications, does need some experimenting and acquaintance but once you get a grip on it, you won't regret it, I promise. Also, Kendall and I have collected lot of user input and we are getting close to release a major update which will bring LAMH to a higher level. Wait and see ;)

1) To answer your first question, I'd try to export to OBJ with the following settings:

- hair root width=30
    - tip width=10
    - hair count= 120,000 hairs (average human hair count)

This will produce a larger OBJ file, but the hair strands will be much thinner and so more resemblant of real hair.

Also, before I export a large mesh from LAMH to Studio, I usually set the display style to "Bounding Boxes" so that Studio interface will be responsive: I set the camera, the lights, check if all is good turning display style to "Texture Shaded" and eventually render in Lux or Studio.

Tell me if the above makes sense.

2) the OBJ is already transmapped and if you assigned a texture to gather hair colors from, LAMH will even produce that. If you take a look at your Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmhairAM/geometry folder, there you will find the exported OBJ and the related texture map.
    So, for example, you'd find a Genesis_0.OBJ and Genesis_TMap_0.jpg. Those files are what you need to give to Lux/ZBrush/Vue etc. in order to get a textured render. Of course, since the OBJ is already UV mapped, you can just load it in ZBrush and texture it there, if you like...

3) you can "cut" the hair but there is no eraser tool. But I assume that you'll be very pleased to know that there will be one buzzer tool in 1.1 which will make clearing such "delicate" areas much easier ;)

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

I find a metalic shader tends to make the hair look wet, btw, Ramwolff! fantastic style you made :D

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:

Hi carrie,

There is nothing to "unpack" with the dll. Please contact me via email so that I can help resolve your issue: krsears (at) trdc.biz

Kendall

It seems I am have one of those days or weeks maybe ,I PM'd you Kendall ,seems I'm haveing issues with more then LAMH ........

edited December 1969

Hi Carrie, it might be (so it's just a possibility) an hardware related issue. Have you tried some other installers, if they also fail as well?