Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,149

@Novica  Ah, found it!  It was Dumor3D not Predaton.  This product is excellent when it comes to everyday type glass shaders.  Iray Glass Shaders, the plexiglas one has an IOR value that is close to car glass and works really well for car windows.  This is the one I use all of the time when I need a glass shaders for 3Delight product I'm converting over to Iray.

I generally just use the Daz Thin Glass for car windows. I'll have to try Plexiglas. Mec4D PBS Shaders Vol, 2 also has Plexiglas. Or, if you have any of Dumor3D's Iray car conversions from PC+, maybe you could look at those to see what settings were used for car window glass. So many possibilities!

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Ahh  this one : ULTRAGENESIS : Faces of G ? 

https://www.daz3d.com/ultragenesis-faces-of-g

YES!!!
    We have a winner!

@Ferretmania I will PM you the GC code immediately. Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

The product is UltraGenesis Faces of G.I used the Gumdrop Granny preset. A double click on that preset automatically dials a bunch of morphs. That is how shaping presets usually work. That is why you see so many products requiring the Daz Genesis 3 Female Head Mophs and Body Morphs. This product dials Eva 7, Karen 7, and/or Victoria 7 morphs as well. But, as I said, I started with the basic G3F, not one of those characters. All the morph dialing was done automatically when I clicked the preset.

I got this product back in December. I think it was free at the time (or free with some purchase maybe??) I bet a lot of you have it, too.

Congratulations @Ferretmania! :)

One of the reasons I haven't bought this product and others--or guessed it in this contest--is the confusion (at least for me) between "compatible figures" and "required products." It says it's compatible with G3F, but V7, Eva 7 and Karen 7 are required. Just like I wouldn't buy an add-on unless I had the main product it extends because it would be useless, I don't own Eva 7 or Karen 7, so in my thinking it won't function without them.

If you look at the "Whats included and features" section, it only says it includes 12 face shapes for Eva and 12 face shapes for Karen. It says nothing about facial shapes for the G3F base, yet another reason I wouldn't think to buy it without Eva 7 and Karen 7.

I wish Daz would come up with a better way to describe exactly what you need to have in order to use products.

Post edited by dawnblade on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    dawnblade said:
    barbult said:

YES!!!
    We have a winner!

@Ferretmania I will PM you the GC code immediately. Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

The product is UltraGenesis Faces of G.I used the Gumdrop Granny preset. A double click on that preset automatically dials a bunch of morphs. That is how shaping presets usually work. That is why you see so many products requiring the Daz Genesis 3 Female Head Mophs and Body Morphs. This product dials Eva 7, Karen 7, and/or Victoria 7 morphs as well. But, as I said, I started with the basic G3F, not one of those characters. All the morph dialing was done automatically when I clicked the preset.

I got this product back in December. I think it was free at the time (or free with some purchase maybe??) I bet a lot of you have it, too.

One of the reasons I haven't bought this product and others--or guessed it in this contest--is the confusion (at least for me) between "compatible figures" and "required products." It says it's compatible with G3F, but V7, Eva 7 and Karen 7 are required. Just like I wouldn't buy an add-on unless I had the main product it extends because it would be useless, I don't own Eva 7 or Karen 7, so in my thinking it won't function without them.

If you look at the "Whats included and features" section, it only says it includes 12 face shapes for Eva and 12 face shapes for Karen. It says nothing about facial shapes for the G3F base, yet another reason I wouldn't think to buy it without Eva 7 and Karen 7.

I wish Daz would come up with a better way to describe exactly what you need to have in order to use it.

A lot of character and morph products work really well on the base even if they are listed for a specific character.  They won't look exactly like the promo if you don't use the required product but you can get some really nice results that way.  The best way to find out if something actually needs the required products or not is to ask in the Commons or even here in Novica's thread.  Lots of people who have the product are more than happy to share shots of what a particular morph product will look like on the base figure without the required product so you can see what it would look like before you buy.  Even some vendors are more than happy to show off what their morphs look like on the base figure.  All you have to do is ask.  There are plenty of people to help you out.

dawnblade said:
    barbult said:

YES!!!
    We have a winner!

I wish Daz would come up with a better way to describe exactly what you need to have in order to use it.

I think the  required products listed really are required in this case, because although I started with G3F base, the presets in this product dialed in some of Victoria 7, Karen 7, and/or Eva 7 morphs, depending on the preset chosen. So, those products are required and the result would not have looked the same without Victoria, Karen, and Eva. I agree, it is very confusing. Once you have the product and use it, you can see what it does and why those morphs are required. Before you buy it, the product page is very confusing. I got it free, so I didn't pay that much attention to the details. I do own Victoria 7, Eva 7, and Karen 7, so I didn't worry about those requirements, either. If you don't have those three models and the product isn't free when you consider buying it, I would not recommend getting it, unless you just want some different face shapes and don't care if they don't really match the promo images.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited March 2017
    dawnblade said:
    barbult said:

YES!!!
    We have a winner!

A lot of character and morph products work really well on the base even if they are listed for a specific character.  They won't look exactly like the promo if you don't use the required product but you can get some really nice results that way.  The best way to find out if something actually needs the required products or not is to ask in the Commons or even here in Novica's thread.  Lots of people who have the product are more than happy to share shots of what a particular morph product will look like on the base figure without the required product so you can see what it would look like before you buy.  Even some vendors are more than happy to show off what their morphs look like on the base figure.  All you have to do is ask.  There are plenty of people to help you out.

Or, they can just be clear in the product description. Something like "Although Eva 7, V7 and Karen 7 are required, this product will work great with G3F." That would nail it.

You are right that forums and vendors are super helpful. I do search the forums to learn about products before I buy them. Threads describing issues like "the product says it contains Iray materials but they aren't there" or "this product has a visible seam through the center of the figure" etc. have saved me from buying faulty products.

Here is a super helpful statement for Hall of the Ancients. It says it is for Iray only, but since the vendor was helpful enough to clarify "Daz Studio Materials are in Iray format, but perform very well as is in 3DLight" I will be buying it because I like to render with 3Delight. I might not even have put it in my wishlist otherwise.

At the time of this post there are no forum threads (that I could find) for Hall of the Ancients to confirm that it indeed works very well in 3Delight. I have no idea how an Iray material can  also be used in 3Delight whereas most other Iray products can't, so I can only go with what is stated in the product description.

Post edited by dawnblade on
    edited March 2017
    dawnblade said:
    dawnblade said:
    barbult said:

YES!!!
    We have a winner!

Or, they can just be clear in the product description. Something like "Although Eva 7, V7 and Karen 7 are required, this product will work great with G3F." That would nail it.

You are right that forums and vendors are super helpful. I do search the forums to learn about products before I buy them. Threads describing issues like "the product says it contains Iray materials but they aren't there" or "this product has a visible seam through the center of the figure" etc. have saved me from buying faulty products.

This is one of those RDNA products brought over from the other store. It was a pretty bare bones transfer for these products. They don't have readme files. They don't have metadata for Smart Content. The product page is minimal. The product promo images are not very good...

But some of the content has been pretty useful.

Post edited by barbult on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

What skin maps did you use for your renders, Barbult?

The problem with aged characters tends to be the same problem with youth characters... Most DAZ skin maps are right in the middle, and they don't look quite right at the extremes.  

I almost always take a shot at characters that "require" other base characters in order to work. So far, most of them work pretty well. I ended up getting Cian for Darius 7, but he works great just as a G3M character. I think he was a limited time special so you can't even get him now. Couldn't find him in the store. 

What skin maps did you use for your renders, Barbult?

The problem with aged characters tends to be the same problem with youth characters... Most DAZ skin maps are right in the middle, and they don't look quite right at the extremes.  

One was Opal and the other was Mei Lin 7.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I almost always take a shot at characters that "require" other base characters in order to work. So far, most of them work pretty well. I ended up getting Cian for Darius 7, but he works great just as a G3M character. I think he was a limited time special so you can't even get him now. Couldn't find him in the store. 

I have several characters that technically require a different model than G3M or G3F.  All of them have worked quite well so far although they do look slightly different.  Which isn't in my opinion necessarily a bad thing.

edited March 2017

Here is an example of how the UltraGenesis presets differ if you don't have the required character morphs. I have also discovered that the product  requires Genesis 3 Female Head Morphs, which are not listed on the product page.

This is Edith, which dials in some of Victoria 7 and some of Eva 7 as well as various morphs that I believe are from Genesis 3 Female Head Morphs.

This is Edith, without Victoria 7 or Eva 7. You can see that she looks quite a bit different, but not bad.

Edith.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 997K
    Edith without Victoria or Eva.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 943K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@Novica  Ah, found it!  It was Dumor3D not Predaton.  This product is excellent when it comes to everyday type glass shaders.  Iray Glass Shaders, the plexiglass one has an IOR value that is close to car glass and works really well for car windows.  This is the one I use all of the time when I need a glass shaders for 3Delight product I'm converting over to Iray.

Thanks! I have that and will give it a try. Just popping in to see how the contest was going, congrats to Ferretmania! Now back to errands.

edited March 2017

Edith looks a little strange in the gray image above, but I really like her morph with skin, This skin is Brigitte for Genesis 3 Female.

This is Edith dialed to 80% with Cailin skin and hair.

Ultra Genesis SREdith Brigitte skin.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Edith without 80% Cailin skin and hair PS.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

ha ha I've had that Ultragenesis product since it was first released at RDNA, and I've used it quite a few times, but not once have I noticed it has a 'mature' morphs! holy cow, the things you learn! *laughs*

jakiblue said:

ha ha I've had that Ultragenesis product since it was first released at RDNA, and I've used it quite a few times, but not once have I noticed it has a 'mature' morphs! holy cow, the things you learn! *laughs*

I think almost all of them look more like real people than most characters in the store. I am enjoying them. The more extreme ones are nicer (to me) when dialed to less than 100%. You can find the dials in the Parameters pane under Actors. They have SR in front of their name for some reason. Like SREdith. So, you can click the preset thumbnail to load the shape 100% or dial the morph to the value you want.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    barbult said:

Edith looks a little strange in the gray image above, but I really like her morph with skin, This skin is Brigitte for Genesis 3 Female.

This one looks like it could be used as a less "toon" version of Mother Gothel from Tangled...

edited March 2017

@Barbult single handedly gave everyone on the thread a renewed interest in the Ultragenesis morph packages they probably got for free around Christmas time. 

This is Gumdrop Granny for K7 and E7 on GF3, with a touch of Bethany and some custom dialed morphs on the body, transferred via GenX2 to G2F, wearing V4:Horizon skin with V4 UVs. 

The clothes and jewelry are a combination of V4, G2F and G3F. 

TheHostess.jpg
    1017 x 921 - 580K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on

I was sitting here trying to figure out how I was going to get a V4 skin onto a G3F character. I just bought Cayman Studio's Legacy UVs for Genesis 3, Vol 1, G2F a few days ago... but that wasn't going to bridge this gap... 

So instead of trying to bring V4 to G3F or G3F to Victoria 4, I decided I'd have them meet in the middle. :) 

But seriously... appropriate clothes and hair for mature characters seems to be just about as difficult to find as appropriate clothes and hair for younger models. 

Valandar said:
    barbult said:

This one looks like it could be used as a less "toon" version of Mother Gothel from Tangled...

Maybe so, with some bushier hair, she just might do.

But seriously... appropriate clothes and hair for mature characters seems to be just about as difficult to find as appropriate clothes and hair for younger models. 

And getting the clothes to fit the sagging boobs of characters like Tha Hag or Opal is another challenge.

@Barbult single handedly gave everyone on the thread a renewed interest in the Ultragenesis morph packages they probably got for free around Christmas time. 

This is Gumdrop Granny for K7 and E7 on GF3, with a touch of Bethany and some custom dialed morphs on the body, transferred via GenX2 to G2F, wearing V4:Horizon skin with V4 UVs. 

The clothes and jewelry are a combination of V4, G2F and G3F. 

That sounds like quite a struggle, but it came out well.

And getting the clothes to fit the sagging boobs of characters like Tha Hag or Opal is another challenge.

If you look closely, you migh notice some poke-through on Gumdrop Granny in my render. I believe she might be welcoming us to the Hotel California. :) 

I'm playng around with the render some more. The Grand Staircase and lighting are non-Iray... it is interesting seeing the different effects 3Delight, Iray Photorealism and Iray Interactive create with various different lighting schemes... Distant Lights, Dome and Scene, Scene Only... photometric... I wish I understood Daz lighting better. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited March 2017

Here's a few renders of The Briefing Room, a product released in 2013. Although the promos mostly show it in use by the police, it is a very versatile room for any type of modern meeting: business, civic, church, school, or learning center as it has a projector, flat screen TV, whiteboard, copier, and several other props (this is the room that contains the cabinet I recently wrote a rigging tutorial about).  In addition, it has several different table/chair configurations. This predates Iray so you'll have to come up with a way (like ghost lights) to light an enclosed interior. 

Briefing Room U table.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 779K
    Briefing Room chairs.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 746K
    Briefing Room tables.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 615K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have a quick question.  I am batch converting v4 skins to Gen2f with the batch conversions script.  It keeps saying I need the v4 uv's to Genesis 2F to use but I can't find it in my library and I can't find it in the store.  And, they are working just fine on Genesis2F, no issues at all with seams, eyes, make up or anything else with the 5 I've done so far.

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Thank you all for the congrats. This was a fun contest and like others I discovered a lot of "new" stuff to put on my wishlist. 

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Hello all!  

Can anyone here that bought that new guy "Jaque" from JavierMicheal tell me if the hairy arms and legs are actually in the product? The promos that JM himself did for the product all show hairy arms and legs, but the product details do NOT mention any hair except "facial hair," so I'm wondering about that.  

Thanks for any info,

-Gen

Is it just me, or does he somehow look like a mash-up of M6 and M7?!   

edited March 2017

Ice Dragon... 

In your surfaces tab for the G2F character, go to UV, and see if it says Base of Victoria 4. 

If it says base it *shouldn't* be working. 

I just bought the M4 to G2M UV because I didn't have that, yet. 

https://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-for-genesis-2-male

Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Congratulations Ferretmania and thanks to Barbult for launching the contest!

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

Why does nearly every figure released by a certain PA look exacty the same, except for maybe 2? I count 21 that look nearly the same. Do people actually buy more than one of these, and if so, why?

I thought it was supposedly difficult to get products approved by DAZ, but it seems like there's no shortage of brunettes with long bloated shiny torsos. The demand is clearly extremely high. But I still can't buy clothing for males that have movement morphs or that fits right.

This discussion has been closed.