Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,780

Ahh  this one : ULTRAGENESIS : Faces of G ? 

https://www.daz3d.com/ultragenesis-faces-of-g

That totally looks like it but she said it was for G3 not Karen or Eva...

Novica said:

This is a Rendo car, I really want something that looks modern. This car is amazing, the hood opens and is fully loaded, the interior opens up and very detailed (haven't even STARTED on that yet.)  The trunk also opens.  If you put "car" in the search engine over there, you'll see a nice variety, including SUV's.

You may have to totally shader some of the older models (if it says Daz Studio 4.3, etc)  This is done from scratch, and hasn't been easy, there's so many small parts and things you just have to "catch." Meaning, the stupid tire front and the sides are two different zones, only one is listed in the Scene breakdown, so if you think you are shading the entire tire, you get a surprise (and not a good one.)  However, it's nice that the small details ALSO have their own material zone, even the discs in the interior wheel wells are separate. Those tires took a long time to get what I wanted. You can see how weird the interior is (never seen that before) as I haven't started on that yet. 

I do have a question- what glass shader would be recommended for car glass? This is just using the thin glass that comes with the studio (in the group with the Uber Base.) 

That looks amazing except maybe try a different glass shader and I'm not sure what the two grey things are on the front headlight. Otherwise, fantastic!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869

Those are the lights. I asked about a glass shader but so far no one has suggested one. I was wondering what most people used for their car windows and headlights.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

A lot of the people who do morphs name the different faces.  So Karen is not Karen 7 but just a generic Karen for that particular set of morphs.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Well, I totally missed that one, but got to look at a lot of products I forgot about. I have the Ultragenesis faces. I guess I should use it sometime!

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I knew it would be one I actually had. 

And UltraGenesis seems like a very logical guess - because the women in both of those packages tend to look a bit more real world and hagard. I wish I had thought of that. 

It is totally the 7th Karen face. 

Yeah the product is for Karen 7 and Eva 7...

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883
    Novica said:

Those are the lights. I asked about a glass shader but so far no one has suggested one. I was wondering what most people used for their car windows and headlights.

I haven't tried using glass shaders on cars etc. yet, but there are glass shaders in https://www.daz3d.com/mec4d-pbs-shaders-vol-2-for-iray   and in https://www.daz3d.com/colored-and-broken-glass-iray-shaders  :) 

edited March 2017

So I started a render that I thought would go overnight but I forgot to reset it and it ended early at 2 hours, still grainy on my CPU only computer so had fun playing with it in iPad apps. Akiko for Mei Lin 7 again with a bit of youth morphs and Anime Kitten Hair, not sure if that was displayed here yet, it's for Keiko 6 and I iRayed it and added in blue tones. One thing I noticed is that vendors never show their characters with their mouth open or using expressions. They just stare blankly ahead which is fine to show the plain morph but it would be nice to see how well they take expressions. I think Akiko takes them pretty well... The only problem I'm having with her is that her palms look too white compared to her skin. (Discovered from an earlier render)

Forgot to mention I used different eyelashes and eyes, so those are not Akiko and I made the iris bigger. And the youth morphs...

Post edited by Wonderland on
    Novica said:

I haven't tried it yet but do you have Mec4D's shaders? There are some glass ones and ones that look kind of grilled or beveled which might work on the headlights. And there are tons of glass shaders out there, I bet you own a few! I've been doing mostly people so I haven't had a chance to test any.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited March 2017

YES!!!
    We have a winner!

@Ferretmania I will PM you the GC code immediately. Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

The product is UltraGenesis Faces of G.I used the Gumdrop Granny preset. A double click on that preset automatically dials a bunch of morphs. That is how shaping presets usually work. That is why you see so many products requiring the Daz Genesis 3 Female Head Mophs and Body Morphs. This product dials Eva 7, Karen 7, and/or Victoria 7 morphs as well. But, as I said, I started with the basic G3F, not one of those characters. All the morph dialing was done automatically when I clicked the preset.

I got this product back in December. I think it was free at the time (or free with some purchase maybe??) I bet a lot of you have it, too.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2017

Karen 7, Eva 7, etc. are required products for this product. That is because the presets in this product dial in partial values of some of those morphs, as well as a bunch of other morphs in the Starter Essentials (also listed as required). You do not start with those Daz characters. You start with Genesis 3 Female. (At least that is what I did, and I believe that is correct.) I'm sorry if that list of required products threw you off.sad I can see how that confusion could easily happen when looking at the product page. Gosh, I feel bad now. crying Please don't be mad. I didn't intentionally try to mislead people. I promise. I should have looked more carefully at the product page before starting this whole thing.

Post edited by barbult on
  • FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Yipee! Thank you and thank you for doing such a fun contest. 

I had so much fun trying to find that product and it was sitting in my wishlist *doh* Probably why I thought that face shape looked so familiar lol 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,828

Congratulations Ferretmania!

barbult Thanks for you contest. I got to look at a lot of products I have and don't have - some are on my wishlist now. They add so many new products everyday it's easy to overlook some.

barbult said:

Karen 7, Eva 7, etc. are required products for this product. That is because the presets in this product dial in partial values of some of those morphs, as well as a bunch of other morphs in the Starter Essentials (also listed as required). You do not start with those Daz characters. You start with Genesis 3 Female. (At least that is what I did, and I believe that is correct.) I'm sorry if that list of required products threw you off.sad I can see how that confusion could easily happen when looking at the product page. Please don't be mad. I didn't intentionally try to mislead people. I promise.

I am mad because now I discovered hundreds of dollars of more things I want to buy and can't afford! devil Daz should really sponsor more contests like this. It was more fun than hunting for stacking sales or hidden banners...

barbult said:

Karen 7, Eva 7, etc. are required products for this product. That is because the presets in this product dial in partial values of some of those morphs, as well as a bunch of other morphs in the Starter Essentials (also listed as required). You do not start with those Daz characters. You start with Genesis 3 Female. (At least that is what I did, and I believe that is correct.) I'm sorry if that list of required products threw you off.sad I can see how that confusion could easily happen when looking at the product page. Please don't be mad. I didn't intentionally try to mislead people. I promise.

I am mad because now I discovered hundreds of dollars of more things I want to buy and can't afford! devil Daz should really sponsor more contests like this. It was more fun than hunting for stacking sales or hidden banners...

I'm just thankful that you aren't mad at me! I really felt bad when I read you message and then scrutinized the product page.

So I started a render that I thought would go overnight but I forgot to reset it and it ended early at 2 hours, still grainy on my CPU only computer so had fun playing with it in iPad apps. Akiko for Mei Lin 7 again with a bit of youth morphs and Anime Kitten Hair, not sure if that was displayed here yet, it's for Keiko 6 and I iRayed it and added in blue tones. One thing I noticed is that vendors never show their characters with their mouth open or using expressions. They just stare blankly ahead which is fine to show the plain morph but it would be nice to see how well they take expressions. I think Akiko takes them pretty well... The only problem I'm having with her is that her palms look too white compared to her skin. (Discovered from an earlier render)

Forgot to mention I used different eyelashes and eyes, so those are not Akiko and I made the iris bigger. And the youth morphs...

Nice character, Wonderland. You are right about promos not showing open mouths and expressions very often. I've had to write several help requests about characters with messed up teeth because the vendor didn't zero out the Mouth Realism HD before creating their character. You would think that a PA would at least look at their character's teeth. After all, they make textures for them. And I am doubly disappointed that Daz QA didn't even check the mouth.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

I'm just thankful that you aren't mad at me! I really felt bad when I read you message and then scrutinized the product page.

No problem, it was all in fun. Actually it should be the PAs who are upset because that product doesn't come up in searches for G3 female or morphs so I don't know how people would find it to buy it except in RDNA sales. And I do own it, but haven't tried it yet, so now I will, thanks to you laugh And that was very sweet to sponsor a contest at all!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I really enjoyed it as well and appreciate your doing it. I too have seen quite a few products that I have never seen before and have added items to my wishlist as well.  It was fun!

barbult said:

Nice character, Wonderland. You are right about promos not showing open mouths and expressions very often. I've had to write several help requests about characters with messed up teeth because the vendor didn't zero out the Mouth Realism HD before creating their character. You would think that a PA would at least look at their character's teeth. After all, they make textures for them. And I am doubly disappointed that Daz QA didn't even check the mouth.

Yes, and some you just can't make smile at all, the face just distorts weirdly like FWSA Pepper for Genevieve looks horrible with a smile.

barbult said:

Yes, and some you just can't make smile at all, the face just distorts weirdly like FWSA Pepper for Genevieve looks horrible with a smile.

Did you return it and tell them why?

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    Llynara said:
    Llynara said:

Oh, they are cute! I shop there a lot too. Just got the new Fabiana Glitter shaders and DM's new set (it's BOGO, yay!) And I picked up Fabiana's AlterGlow products. They are a really neat emissive shader system. I've been working on a render with those, will post today.

Fabiana glitter shaders? Awesome! Oh, wait. I'm not going to spend any more money. Really I'm not. Those glitter shaders don't tempt me at all. Not at all. Ooh - presets for the Fabiana sheers shaders I bought there recently. Got to have! No. Not tempted. Not in the slightest. Wow - body glitter presets! I'm not in the least bit interested, honestly.

They are so going to on my hard drive by the end of the day. Sigh... :)

I'm playing with those next! Between her glitter shaders and Ron's glitter brushes, psds, etc, I'm going to have some major fun blinging things out! 

Here's a render with Fabiana's AlterGlow, AlterLove and AlterPlanets, plus Marshian's Body of Light and Iggy's Gemology Iray Shaders. I love how it turned out. Click for a bigger pic and zoom in to see the details. 

"Lifted"

May love lighten your burdens
    And wash the dust from your weary soul.

That is fantastic! Wow!

No hard feelings. It is kind of hard to be picky about a simple mistake when another end-user creates a fun contest for $5 for no other reason than to have a good time. 

And I wouldn't have noticed, if I had found the Faces of Genesis package, that it required Eva and Karen 7 in order to dial in this morph. I wasn't looking in that much detail before I made my choices. 

And looking at the other guesses, neither was anyone else. :D 

Thanks for a couple of days of fun digging through the catalog without spending money. :) 

And I'll probably play around with Faces of Genesis now, too. So... winners all around. :) 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Congrats, Ferretmania!  I had thought it might be one of the Ultragenesis ones but when I went looking for it I couldn't find the one I remember seeing, just the Ultragenesis 2/3 which I knew wasn't it.  Good eye!  :)

edited March 2017

Speaking of which... the whole idea of turning off limits on hair - if you have Aldora Hair (which is free all the time,) turn off the limit on HeadLonger under Actor and dial that up to about 375% and you've suddenly gone from a cute sprite bob cut to shoulder length long flowing hair. That was brilliant advice that increases the range of possibilities with hair tremendously. 

Here is YT Julie wearing Aldora Hair with limits turned off and adjusted as above. Just a 3Delight render as an example. I'm sure you could play with the limits on all of the other parameters to really dial in whatever hairstyle you were going for, and a couple custom D-Formers would probably fix any weirdness like what is going on on her left shoulder. 

JulieYT .jpg
    711 x 851 - 176K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on

@Novica  I'm trying to track down a set of glass shaders I purchased that has a real good glass in it for car windows.  I just can't remember which one it was.   I think it was by Predaton but I haven't found it yet.  It was a series of glass shaders that had a whole bunch of different shaders from pyrex to plexiglass.  I'll let you know which one it was when I track it down.  For some reason, I must not have it installed since I switched over to Linux.  I have't done all that many renders that have needed glass recently so I hadn't noticed it wasn't installed.

@Novica  Ah, found it!  It was Dumor3D not Predaton.  This product is excellent when it comes to everyday type glass shaders.  Iray Glass Shaders, the plexiglass one has an IOR value that is close to car glass and works really well for car windows.  This is the one I use all of the time when I need a glass shaders for 3Delight product I'm converting over to Iray.

This discussion has been closed.