Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited January 2013

DaremoK3 said:
    Gone:

"And that's how easy it can be."

How, pray-tell, does one get to the "And that's how easy it can be" stage?

I tried creating a wearable asset following all info offered in the entirety of this thread (a simple Goatee for males). I was successful in saving such an asset, it can load onto a new Genesis figure, it is assigned to the new Genesis figure, is editable in the editor, and even follows movement.

However, it refuses to render. I think I might be missing a critical step in the saving process.

Could you, please, detail your saving work-flow to create a working preset.

Note: My last test with this was in DSPro 4.5.0.114 using Garibaldi beta 10. I've moved up to DS ~ .1.56, and Garibaldi beta 12, and would like to try again hoping it was previously unattainable with the earlier setup.

From what you are saying, I can't understand why it's not rendering - you may have to consult wiser heads than mine.

As for saving, there are 2 ways to do it depending on whether you want to make metadata or not. I'll cover the quick and dirty, no metadata method.

After you have created your masterpiece hair, go to the scene tab and rename the hair node to something with a bit more zing. Besides, it will make life easier after you've built up a library of hair and have more than one loaded onto your character.

Now move the hair node up to the head node of your character so that it becomes a child node of the head. Check in the parameters tab to make sure the hair is "fit to" your character.

With both those actions complete, select your character and go to File->Save As->Wearable(s) Preset. A save screen will open (default is Genesis content->Figures). Use that location or navigate to where you want to save and give it the name of the hair. A new dialog will open showing all the nodes that can be saved. Uncheck everything but the hair (if there is anything else) and save.

You now have a wearable asset you can load to any compatible figure but you will have to access it through the Content Library tab.

Good luck.

Post edited by Gone on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You may want to take the time to render a 'real' icon for it...I've noticed that the quick render that is used for rendering the saved item icons, doesn't actually render the hairs.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Gone.

I tried the old file with the new setup, and it renders now. Go figure.

I think those are the steps I used to create it, but I don't remember the parent to head. Maybe I neglected that step, but since it is working, maybe not.

I will definitely follow those steps, so thank you for posting them.

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Thank you, Gone.

I tried the old file with the new setup, and it renders now. Go figure.

I think those are the steps I used to create it, but I don't remember the parent to head. Maybe I neglected that step, but since it is working, maybe not.

I will definitely follow those steps, so thank you for posting them.

Glad to hear its working for you.

I did a bit more poking around with the parenting since I was curious as to where you would need to parent body/limb hair. It turns out that it doesn't matter where you parent the hair as long as it is parented to the character.

In other words, any hair node can be dropped on the root node of the character and it will be parented to the correct body part. All that is required is that the hair node show up in the selection list when you create the wearable.

Following up on MJC1016's message, you will, by now, have noticed that DS automatically generates a thumbnail image when you create the wearable - just like it does for any save operation.

Keeping that in mind, you may want to frame your hair and hide any extraneous content when you make the save so that the hair dominates the image. Since it is saving essentially a screen cap, all you're going to see is the hair curves in the thumbnail so you may want to render a 901x901 image and use it in place of the autogenerated thumbnail so you can see the pretty hair. If you do that, just remember that the rendered image will have to be renamed to match the thumbnail it replaces.

edited December 1969

Lord help me! I must be losing my mind.

WildThing.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 489K
    edited December 1969

Anyone remember the TV show with characters wearing this hair style?

Guess.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 243K
  • fairyfantasticfairyfantastic Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

hi there i down loaded the bete yest insatlled ok and wen i wen to edit i dont see model in main editor all i get is a black screen im not very technical on things like this hope u can help
    also there are some very cool render people are doing well done to u all xx

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited January 2013

Gone said:

the hair was taller and came down to the ears more
    good work

edit - show was Babylon 5

Post edited by bigh on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I'm sure if one went to the planet, there would be variations so that would qualify :)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Gone said:

the hair was taller and came down to the ears more
    good work

edit - show was Babylon 5

That was Londo. Vir's hair was shorter and not fanned as much. :-)

I'm currently rewatching the series and several of Londo's guests had styles not too much different.

Yes, that was the show that made me do it. :lol:

edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:
    hi there i down loaded the bete yest insatlled ok and wen i wen to edit i dont see model in main editor all i get is a black screen im not very technical on things like this hope u can help
    also there are some very cool render people are doing well done to u all xx

We're going to need more info in order to help but at a guess, I think you are going into the style workspace without selecting anything in the set up workspace.

You need to follow the workspace tab order.... Setup - to choose which surfaces you want to put hair on; Paint - to paint the parts of the surfaces to grow the hair from; Distribute - to determine how much hair and what colour.

Until you've done those things first there will be nothing in the Style workspace.

Of course, this assumes you've actually made it to the Garibaldi editor. Is it Garibaldi that is giving you a blank screen or DAZ Studio? Which version of Studio are you using? Did you get the correct version of Garibaldi for your operating system?

edited December 1969

hi ive put a pic up of wat i get im use ing daz 4.5.1.56 iv got good spec lappy

Capturegarabaldi.JPG
    1327 x 733 - 88K
    edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:
    iv got good spec lappy

And???

What are they laptop's specs?

edited December 1969

ooops sorry iforgot to put here u go
    Machine name:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP G61 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: n/a
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3998MB RAM
    Page File: 4654MB used, 3341MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:
    ooops sorry iforgot to put here u go
    Machine name:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP G61 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: n/a
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3998MB RAM
    Page File: 4654MB used, 3341MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

you have very low end system - don't see graphic card spec ( hope you have one )

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    LOL! So thats what happened to the lead singer for the group A Flock Of Seagulls. (Real rock group back in the day)
    edited December 1969

here u go hun

Capturegraficcard_spec.JPG
    727 x 503 - 59K
    edited January 2013

fairy_37 said:
    here u go hun

Looks like an Intel graphics...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

wat does tht mean hun like i said im not tht technical on these things does it make any differnce on the garabaldi express

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2013

I'm having a silly issue with the GH viewport... And I have no Idea why or how this happened. I closed it and even restarted Daz, but it's not fixing it...

I have lost the ability to minimize and maximize optional tools and settings as I cant see or click on the drop down button (Minimize/Maximize button). I tried adjusting the window size, but it doesn't give more room on the tools/options panel. There is no slider on the window to move left to right. Only up/down.

I dont know how to fix this :( So I cant use several tools that are minimized...

What's off is that it's not an issue with other nodes in the same scene.

GH_Window_issue.jpg
    417 x 864 - 174K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited January 2013

fairy_37 said:
    wat does tht mean hun like i said im not tht technical on these things does it make any differnce on the garabaldi express

Intel Graphics is notorious for having problems with OpenGL. Daz Studio and Garibaldi are OpenGL apps...and Futurebiscuit would have to answer, but I'm guessing that what's going on is that the Intel drivers are not correctly interpreting the way to display the viewport, possibly because it's an 'overlay'.

Best guess at a solution...make sure that the video drivers on that laptop are up to date (not sure if the HP files are matching the Intel versions, but use the latest one from HP). The G61 is the 'family'...there will be a specific model, somewhere on it, probably on a sticker on the bottom...you'll need to find that to go looking for the drivers.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Gone said:
    LOL! So thats what happened to the lead singer for the group A Flock Of Seagulls. (Real rock group back in the day)

And I ran...I ran so far away...

edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:

My first thought on seeing your screen cap was that it was an OGL issue. I tried to look up the specs for your machine and it appears there are several series of G61. The 300+ series use AMD/ATI processor/display while the 100 series uses Intel - which seems to be what you have.

I think I read somewhere that this chipset doesn't support anything higher that OGL 2.0. I'm not sure if Garibaldi needs a higher OGL version.

In any case, I'm inclined to agree that the problem is with the OGL - but don't take my word for it. I'm not all that tech savy myself.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    I'm having a silly issue with the GH viewport... And I have no Idea why or how this happened. I closed it and even restarted Daz, but it's not fixing it...

I have lost the ability to minimize and maximize optional tools and settings as I cant see or click on the drop down button (Minimize/Maximize button). I tried adjusting the window size, but it doesn't give more room on the tools/options panel. There is no slider on the window to move left to right. Only up/down.

I dont know how to fix this :( So I cant use several tools that are minimized...

What's off is that it's not an issue with other nodes in the same scene.

That's a new one. Did you try to reinstall GH? Other than that, I have no clue what might help.

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:

So even though your laptop has a good specification in some areas, 4GB RAM, 64bit OS etc... It appears you have an Intel 4500m graphics chipset.
    Unfortunately the pre Intel HD graphics are not well suited to realtime 3D graphics and don't support some OpenGL features that even low end ATI/AMD/Nvidia cards have supported for a very long time. I have had reports that the intel 4500 has had limited sucess with some graphics drivers and Garibaldi but then show other graphics issues.
    Garibaldi Express is meant to show warning dialog boxes if required OpenGL features are not available, but as I don't have the computers personally that don't support these features I haven't been able to test them.
    I actually am currently waiting the delivery of a motherboard with Intel x4500 (the desktop pc version of your laptops graphics chipset), I was planning to see first hand what issues Garibaldi has with these graphics chips as I have had quite a few emails from people asking about the same issue as yours. I need look into the details but I may add support for the Intel 4500 as it's still quite popular, but functionality may be limited in areas.
    The following chart illustrates the performance comparison between the Intel 'GMA X4500' and ATI/AMD/Nvdia graphics:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Tell me about it lol... It was the eyebrow node for a new character I've almost got ready to render... I deleted the node then started to recreate the work that the GH window screwed up on me... then it froze my computer when I altered the Interpolation :( I'm not having a good run today.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    In any case, I'm inclined to agree that the problem is with the OGL - but don't take my word for it. I'm not all that tech savy myself.

The current minimal Garibaldi Express requirements are roughly a Nvidia 6200 or ATI X300 graphics cards. Although it is highly recommended to turn AntiAliasing and OpenGL shader effects off in the Garibaldi Editor 'Global Settings' interface tab for older generation graphics cards.
    Intel HD graphics ('i' series CPUs) should work also, but I have yet to personally test Garibaldi with these.
    edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:

So even though your laptop has a good specification in some areas, 4GB RAM, 64bit OS etc... It appears you have an Intel 4500m graphics chipset.
    Unfortunately the pre Intel HD graphics are not well suited to realtime 3D graphics and don't support some OpenGL features that even low end ATI/AMD/Nvidia cards have supported for a very long time. I have had reports that the intel 4500 has had limited sucess with some graphics drivers and Garibaldi but then show other graphics issues.
    Garibaldi Express is meant to show warning dialog boxes if required OpenGL features are not available, but as I don't have the computers personally that don't support these features I haven't been able to test them.
    I actually am currently waiting the delivery of a motherboard with Intel x4500 (the desktop pc version of your laptops graphics chipset), I was planning to see first hand what issues Garibaldi has with these graphics chips as I have had quite a few emails from people asking about the same issue as yours. I need look into the details but I may add support for the Intel 4500 as it's still quite popular, but functionality may be limited in areas.
    The following chart illustrates the performance comparison between the Intel 'GMA X4500' and ATI/AMD/Nvdia graphics:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

You want to know the funny thing about most of the Intel OpenGL problems?

It's the drivers...flat out. The Intel MESA drivers support a lot more functions than the Windows drivers do, in many cases. Intel has thrown driver support to DirectX at the expense of decent OpenGL implementations. So this is a case, where Linux/Wine may actually work better than Windows...especially if one is using the MESA drivers for Intel video.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Gone said:

That is so weird! I don't know the group so I had to look them up.

I thought I was just goofing around but, it seems, there is nothing new in hairstyles. If you can think of it - it's probably already been done. :lol:

edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Thats a weird one. The user interface elements are not ment to be allowed to exceed the width given. The only thing i can think of is have you used a texture control map with a particularly long name in one of that workspace settings?
    I'll double check the user interface code for the next Beta to check everything is set up correctly.
This discussion has been closed.