Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    I'm having a silly issue with the GH viewport... And I have no Idea why or how this happened. I closed it and even restarted Daz, but it's not fixing it...

Thats a weird one. The user interface elements are not ment to be allowed to exceed the width given. The only thing i can think of is have you used a texture control map with a particularly long name in one of that workspace settings?
    I'll double check the user interface code for the next Beta to check everything is set up correctly.

The names used were:
    V5 EyeBrows Kiesha Distribution
    V5 EyeBrows Kiesha Distribution Invert

That could be the issue... They were imported textures. Named as such, because I have a vast amount of GH textures lol

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Our generous and intrepid FutureBiscuit commented about the lack of feedback relative to the download numbers: I for my part haven't even gotten G-Ex open since um, Beta 6 or so. It's been busy, with Christmas, a wife and toddlers!

One of the main unexpected things about Garibaldi is seeing it as a social experiment. I only get a small fraction of feedback from people who download every version as it comes out, which is strange as I know there issues with Garibaldi especially in the earlier versions.
    But one of the most surprising things is even though I allow these test versions of Garibaldi to be downloaded for free, it has been made available through 'non official' channels which I find very Bizarre.
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    That could be the issue... They were imported textures. Named as such, because I have a vast amount of GH textures lol

I've just checked and it is the issue. Even if the texture name is not used the popup texture selection menus expand to be as wide as the longest texture name.
    I don't understand why this is the behaviour in QT... another thing for the list...
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

I've just checked and it is the issue. Even if the texture name is not used the popup texture selection menus expand to be as wide as the longest texture name.
    I don't understand why this is the behaviour in QT... another thing for the list...

I think it's because there isn't scrolling in the text boxes...at least by default. I'm not much of a QT programmer (heck, not much of any kind, any more), but I think you need to define them in a different way to get them to do actual width or scroll...

edited January 2013

Spyro said:

So temporarily, until such time as the issue is resolved, Should I be using short names for the folders of textures I import to GH?

Yep, tried it, works fine as expected :) (And I was able to recover my work that had the issue by deleting the long named imported images, and importing new shorten named ones)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • fairyfantasticfairyfantastic Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

futurebiscuit i have donre wat u sugested wat u said to do on the global part and its still the same nice name by the way also u lost me on the first part tlking ab ot the graphics card lol all to tech for me so im stuck at the mo on wat to do

edited December 1969

Something different :)

I had a fare bit of trouble with the auto parting on this hairsyle... particularly with the ears and the crown. (Crown was edited on this render). Despite my efforts in the styling, I could not get rid of the unwanted sticking up hair, nor could I get the hair to not go through the ears.

By lowering the auto part even a little, instant bald patches at the crown, and clump and scraggle did nothing to help it. I read here that people seem to use "Reduce Auto part" with ease. Every attempt I've made to reduce on my hairstyles, goes wrong. (I never reduced below 100, but if it's not the top default value, it ends up balding the hair) I dont know what I'm doing wrong. :-/

Anyways, the render... LOL! :-P

GHair_Renders_Working_Kiesha1.png
    925 x 925 - 1M
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I have spent the weekend reworking my unicorn image... It is not so dark now and I am much happier with the hair.

4 GH nodes in all. 3 on the horse and 1 for the red hair.

GHUncorn12s.jpg
    2000 x 1414 - 387K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Looks wonderful!

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,524
    edited December 1969

One of the main unexpected things about Garibaldi is seeing it as a social experiment. I only get a small fraction of feedback from people who download every version as it comes out, which is strange as I know there issues with Garibaldi especially in the earlier versions.
    But one of the most surprising things is even though I allow these test versions of Garibaldi to be downloaded for free, it has been made available through 'non official' channels which I find very Bizarre.

I have sort of stopped downloading them but I want to use it. I am just in the middle of a big project and I don't have time to test it properly. But I really want to use it and I will do so, once I am done with this thing. :)

• GoneGone Posts: 832
    edited December 1969

More hair.

Messy.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 238K
  • JuliKJuliK Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi!
    I finally instaled GH 12 and it worked ok! No problem so far! (but i didn´t render it with lights yet)
    I watched the video on the site and it´s not so dificult as I though. =)
    But really requires some practice to do a nice hair. I´m a little impatient girl. :P And i ´m lost.
    It´s possible someone to do a simply ,small and quick tutorial about how to make a short hair? Or any tips?
    For now I gave up on long hair, but I still want to try to make short hair and fur.
    I can´t make nothing right. *sniff*
    And the hair insists on going through the head ( I don´t know if you understood what I'm saying), as if they don´t collide ...
    But I think this is because I don´t know what I´m doing.. so ... help. :P

edited December 1969

Alfinin said:
    Hi!
    I finally instaled GH 12 and it worked ok! No problem so far! (but i didn´t render it with lights yet)
    I watched the video on the site and it´s not so dificult as I though. =)
    But really requires some practice to do a nice hair. I´m a little impatient girl. :P And i ´m lost.
    It´s possible someone to do a simply ,small and quick tutorial about how to make a short hair? Or any tips?
    For now I gave up on long hair, but I still want to try to make short hair and fur.
    I can´t make nothing right. *sniff*
    And the hair insists on going through the head ( I don´t know if you understood what I'm saying), as if they don´t collide ...
    But I think this is because I don´t know what I´m doing.. so ... help. :P

There are so many things you can do and so many different approaches that I don't think there is a "simple" tutorial.

I'm going to assume you already know how to use Setup, Paint, and Distribute so for a quick and easy short hair you can do this:

In the Style workspace, select the curl tool (second row, third icon) and set it to 0.2. This will make all the hair curl outwards evenly. Then use the surface attract tool (second row, fourth icon) and slide it to the right. This will pull the hair down evenly towards the head. From there, you can experiment with the scale and extend tools (second row, first 2 icons) to change the length of all the hair guides. Play with the comb and selection tools (both on the first row) to shape the style and control selected sections without affecting all the hair guides. To avoid the tuft of hair that will result, open the Autoparting selection and change the value to 100.

When you are satisfied with the shape, go to the clump and tweak workspaces to give the hair more realism. Pay particular attention to the tweak tools.

Remember, the total hair count is controlled by the value you set in the distribution workspace (default is 10) so you get more or less hair.

You can get some good short hair results just using the curl and surface attract tools and then modifing in the clump and tweak workspaces.

Once you get comfortable with that, we can talk about what you want to do next.

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,223
    edited January 2013

Hi using beta 12, Mac 64bit

Did a little more testing today and everything I used seemed to be stable and working great.

I have attached a Mohawk hair style.

Mohawk.jpg
    600 x 812 - 91K
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

There are so many things you can do and so many different approaches that I don't think there is a "simple" tutorial.

I'm going to assume you already know how to use Setup, Paint, and Distribute so for a quick and easy short hair you can do this:

In the Style workspace, select the curl tool (second row, third icon) and set it to 0.2. This will make all the hair curl outwards evenly. Then use the surface attract tool (second row, fourth icon) and slide it to the right. This will pull the hair down evenly towards the head. From there, you can experiment with the scale and extend tools (second row, first 2 icons) to change the length of all the hair guides. Play with the comb and selection tools (both on the first row) to shape the style and control selected sections without affecting all the hair guides. To avoid the tuft of hair that will result, open the Autoparting selection and change the value to 100.

When you are satisfied with the shape, go to the clump and tweak workspaces to give the hair more realism. Pay particular attention to the tweak tools.

Remember, the total hair count is controlled by the value you set in the distribution workspace (default is 10) so you get more or less hair.

You can get some good short hair results just using the curl and surface attract tools and then modifing in the clump and tweak workspaces.

Once you get comfortable with that, we can talk about what you want to do next.

Thank you very much!! =)
    I´ll try again tomorrow because it´s very late here.
    Good night, world! :)

edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:

Did a little more testing today tried exporting the Hair placement maps.

Not sure if this is a noted bug.

Everything seemed to work okay until I imported onto a new hair piece and a split appeared
    Seems to only happen when applied to a new hair piece. It could be to do with the seams as well.

I have attached some samples of the event.

Everything else I used seemed to be stable and working great.

I also attached a Mohawk hair style.

Looks like a UV issue perhaps... has your character got a different UV set from the character you painted the distribution map on? I once had that issue... then I worked out I had painted it on M4, and was trying to import an m4 distribution map on an M5 Uv character.

I absolutely love that Mohawk render! Beautiful detail :)

edited January 2013

Gone said:
    More hair.

Well done man! I like the look of him :) Some great personality coming from this piece :cheese:

------------------------------------------------------

Question for anyone in the know...

I'm using a prop hair tie, in which hair is distributed from to form the ponytail (Which hugely cuts down render time, and is much more manageable that using the hair on the head of the character) Anyway - I'm finding I cant get enough hair strands count (Count of max 500 is half what it needs) I certainly have enough verts for hair curves to create and style the pony tail... but not a large enough scale for GH to give me enough hairs :(

I hoped sub dividing the hair-tie model would allow more hairs to generate, but it doesn't :( How can I get a higher hair count beyond the max 500 count? Two/multiple hair nodes can be used, but its difficult to control and match up accurately with every hair node on the tie. (Especially when your styling it for movement)

Ponytail.jpg
    413 x 386 - 50K
    edited December 1969

Tried a few more things, again OS X 64 bit B.V12

Save, open, merge - OK
    Genesis - Extreme Morph Figure, Changing UV Set, Changing Texture OK
    Uber Environment, Daz Lights, Shadows OK
    Apply create an instance on Hair - No Crash Just empty node created - OK
    Load a new Genesis and change FIT TO from orginal Genesis to New(Transfer Hair Piece) OK
    Used all translation, Scale and rotation settings in Daz Parameters - OK
    Delete and Undo - OK
    Pushed, prodded poked lots of in plugin settings OK

So looking pretty stable at this point :)

ORcHair_Daz.jpg
    600 x 808 - 59K
    edited January 2013

Spyro said:
    Razor 42 said:

Did a little more testing today tried exporting the Hair placement maps.

Not sure if this is a noted bug.

Everything seemed to work okay until I imported onto a new hair piece and a split appeared
    Seems to only happen when applied to a new hair piece. It could be to do with the seams as well.

I have attached some samples of the event.

Everything else I used seemed to be stable and working great.

I also attached a Mohawk hair style.

Looks like a UV issue perhaps... has your character got a different UV set from the character you painted the distribution map on? I once had that issue... then I worked out I had painted it on M4, and was trying to import an m4 distribution map on an M5 Uv character.

I absolutely love that Mohawk render! Beautiful detail :)

I think your spot on did a little experimenting with changing the UV map and that seems to be creating the issue. I'll edit the above post :)
    Thanks mate!

PS You've got some cool renders through this thread!

Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Question for anyone in the know...

I'm using a prop hair tie, in which hair is distributed from to form the ponytail (Which hugely cuts down render time, and is much more manageable that using the hair on the head of the character) Anyway - I'm finding I cant get enough hair strands count (Count of max 500 is half what it needs) I certainly have enough verts for hair curves to create and style the pony tail... but not a large enough scale for GH to give me enough hairs :(

According to Futurebiscuit in post 921 on page 62 the distribution amount is number of follicles per square centimeter. So if your tie only has 4 square cm of surface, for exmple, you won't get more than 2,000 hairs if the max count is 500.

Looks like you will either have to find more surface area or use multiple nodes - unless you can talk him into upping the follicle count in a future release. But I expect there is a limit on how much you can cram into a square centimeter without blowing something up. ;-P

edited January 2013

Ah yes, I was aware the surface space had effect of how many hairs... and I totally understand why the 500 limit is in place... if you went too high by accident, the computer would certainly have a fit. (A bit like accidentally changing interpolation widths to extremes in fast movement... Freezes my computer instantly (If music is playing at the time, the music instantly gets frozen too like a scratched CD stuck on one frequency) Only way out is to force shut down computer) So yeah, it must have the limit of hair count.

Wasnt sure if there was any other way that could increase the hair amount. I recall a post that mentioned sub division... but it did nothing to the object in garibaldi... And rescaling the hair tie just looks wrong. Hair ties are tight lol.

Not to worry. Multiple nodes it is :)

mjc1016 said:

I posted a render using that technique a couple of weeks ago...

And yeah, you either need to subdivide the heck out of it or use a couple of nodes. On of the things I found is that if you make a filled circle, in Blender, by extruding the outer edge in, several times, before having them all meet in the center and then subdividing that in Blender, you can get a better/more faces to use. I can't remember, exactly how many...but I was getting the best results, for a single node, starting with a couple of hundred faces...I'll run a couple of more tests.

Quoted from Post #846 - Sounds like MJC was getting more surface area by indenting the hair distribution area of the model inside the hair tie... He'd get more hair out of it but I dont think it's enough surface to warrant only one node. My tests with SD didn't change the nodes OR Amount of hair.

edited December 1969

futurebiscuit i have donre wat u sugested wat u said to do on the global part and its still the same nice name by the way also u lost me on the first part tlking ab ot the graphics card lol all to tech for me so im stuck at the mo on wat to do

edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Quoted from Post #846 - Sounds like MJC was getting more surface area by indenting the hair distribution area of the model inside the hair tie... He'd get more hair out of it but I dont think it's enough surface to warrant only one node. My tests with SD didn't change the nodes OR Amount of hair.

If I understand correctly, FB says that subdivision will give you more guide hairs but has no effect on generated hairs (follicles). That's a function of distribution count/sq cm regardless of how dense the poly count.

edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:

I belive he is saying there is a problem with your graphics chip. He has ordered a motherboard with that chipset and will be testing if it is possible to support it - but the functionality will likely be reduced.

edited December 1969

thnk u gone for yr reply i will wait patiently for the resuslts as i cant wait to have a play on garabaldi

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Ah yes, I was aware the surface space had effect of how many hairs... and I totally understand why the 500 limit is in place... if you went too high by accident, the computer would certainly have a fit. (A bit like accidentally changing interpolation widths to extremes in fast movement... Freezes my computer instantly (If music is playing at the time, the music instantly gets frozen too like a scratched CD stuck on one frequency) Only way out is to force shut down computer) So yeah, it must have the limit of hair count.

Wasnt sure if there was any other way that could increase the hair amount. I recall a post that mentioned sub division... but it did nothing to the object in garibaldi... And rescaling the hair tie just looks wrong. Hair ties are tight lol.

Not to worry. Multiple nodes it is :)

mjc1016 said:

I posted a render using that technique a couple of weeks ago...

And yeah, you either need to subdivide the heck out of it or use a couple of nodes. On of the things I found is that if you make a filled circle, in Blender, by extruding the outer edge in, several times, before having them all meet in the center and then subdividing that in Blender, you can get a better/more faces to use. I can't remember, exactly how many...but I was getting the best results, for a single node, starting with a couple of hundred faces...I'll run a couple of more tests.

What I meant, is subdivide it in the modelling app so you can actually change the number of sides/over all shape...but not using a subdivision modifier or algorithm. An actual 'cut' type division.

But...

What I'm getting is very odd and inconsistent. And not what I expect.

I create a flat disk, in Blender, with any number of polys, UV map it and export it as on obj. I take it into DS and don't scale it or anything and it's 2cm in diameter. I create a hair node on it and leave it at the default distribution (10). I get 52 hairs...

Now, if I up it to say 100...I get 362 hairs (which, is closer to the the 315 it should be, if it is actually hairs/cm2), but if I take it to 500, I get 1545. I can manually type in over 500 (up to 1000...the slider goes to 500). At 1000, I get 3072...

Not too unexpected/outrageous.

Now here's where the oddity starts coming in.

I follow the above steps, but have a 4 cm disk. At 100 you'd expect over 1200 hairs...which I get. Now the really odd thing is, if I take that disk and scale it down, depending on HOW I scale it (this is BEFORE creating hair on it) I can still get over 1200 hairs, if I drop it back to a 2 cm size (scale xz down to 50%). I can create the hair AFTER scaling and end up with 300+ if I use the sliders, but if I use a script, I'll still get 1200+. And if I save it, the count will 'lock' in at that rate...I think that's how I ended up with some items that are giving me over 5 million hairs, when by calculating it out I should be getting right around a million (for the entire object). This behavior, I believe is a bug...but I'm not sure where the bug is, without further testing. I think it's not anything to do with creating the hair, because it works the other way, too...scaling up, using the sliders, works...using the script, it stays the same. Of course if I export the scaled item and reimport it before creating the hair the results are as expected.

Altering the geometry produces differing results...some of which show that either DS or Garibaldi is assuming the item is a square or circle...not necessarily the number of sides the object actually has (tried to make something with 18 sides and it came out as if it was a circle, as far as hair count goes). But things get really weird when making convoluted objects or squashed spheres...like if I take a circle made with 32 segments and pull up every other one, I get over 1900 hairs (4 cm circle)...and with a sphere, I can 'sqaush' it in such a way that I get over 2300 for a 4 cm dome (cut sphere in half before squashing).

So, it's not as if the area calculations are quite simple/straight forward

edited December 1969

Here's a quick render (no real styling on it, other than a general 'downward curve') of my 'squashed dome' that in the 4 cm version with 1000 typed in the distribution, was giving around 24000 hairs, in the 2 cm version, it gives about 6000 (as expected)...

squasheddome.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 152K
    edited December 1969

My attempt.
    Is still far from being cool, but now I believe I'm on the right track.
    Thank you, Gone.

tteessttee.jpg
    405 x 513 - 110K
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Here's a quick render (no real styling on it, other than a general 'downward curve') of my 'squashed dome' that in the 4 cm version with 1000 typed in the distribution, was giving around 24000 hairs, in the 2 cm version, it gives about 6000 (as expected)...

That's really interesting. I didn't realize that different primitives used to create the part which hair is intended to grow on had an affect on the hair generation. I used The end of a cylinder, in which I edited to form a round plane. I also didn't know you could type in over 500 hair count. (Max of 1000)

With the squished dome, are you using the inside faces or the outside faces? (In max, the dome is made of a sphere primitive, which from memory is not solid. )

And cheers for the confirmation on what you were doing with sub D. It was to do with the verts for curves (Before imported to Daz. Got ya :) )

edited December 1969

Alfinin said:
    My attempt.
    Is still far from being cool, but now I believe I'm on the right track.
    Thank you, Gone.

The right track is always a good place to be. :-)

In the distribution workspace, you should increase the hair count to thicken the volume. In the style workspace, move the Surface Attract tool to the left to lift the hair slightly off the head and change the autoparting from the default of 180 to 100 and you should see a big improvement.

Have fun playing with this great tool.

This discussion has been closed.