Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited March 2017

Well, that was scary! The daz store went down JUST as I was wiping ALL my content and getting ready to start again with downloading and installing EVERYTHING. And someone I managed to delete the CMS thingy - the postwhatever it is - and couldn't get on to the store to manually download it!!! And to top it off, we had a power blackout! It was a weird one - the power died, but lightbulbs were glowing...like a brownout. I don't miss many things when the power goes out - I can deal with the computer being on, and we have a tiny gas camping stove to boil water for a cuppa or make a one saucepan dinner...but omg I cannot deal with NO FANS!! It is SO hot and we were sweltering. I started to think the world had exploded, what with daz going down and then us losing power! HA HA. Power was off for a couple of hours, and just came back half hour ago. 

So right now, I'm getting ready to reinstall everything and have a clean sweep. 

A really good friend surprised me this afternoon with a daz g/c!!! I was SO surprised and thankful - he's a sweetheart! :) And then I got SUPER EXCITED to see today's releases and see that Stonemason Urban Future 5! I managed to get Urban Future 5, the oot bodysuit and the add on textures for it for about $25 (i paid a grand total of $8!!!! as i had nabbed two pc items earlier with the g/c) - which then got EVEN BETTER to see that I could get 3 of those DO's for free....I went straight away to the Galactic Bundle which I've wanted since it got released, and then I nabbed Sci fi hanger a and sci fi corridor a all for FREE. I am SO excited! Without my dear friend surprising me like that, I would never have been able to get them. It's been a very lean MM for me this year - o for the old days where I had like a hundred dollar budget a WEEK for daz stuff. *laughs*

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

DIM is still down. I'm off the computer for the night (4:30am) but if I were still on, I 'd be checking the prices to see if they are going to see-saw. The Chastity figure was $4.53, the Streets of Asia lights were $5.38, Aurora Bot was $10.42 when the site came back up. Just so you can compare and see what you're getting later on today (I won't be online until much later. Sleeping then errands.) 

Happy for you Jakiblue! yes  Is your DIM working right now though?

Nope, i'm getting "unable to log in to specified account" with it. Someone else posted in the forums that DIM is down, although didn't say the error message.

If i can get the Postgresq thing, then I can see if downloads are going alright through connect/smart content.  

Novica said:

DIM is still down. I'm off the computer for the night (4:30am) but if I were still on, I 'd be checking the prices to see if they are going to see-saw. The Chastity figure was $4.53, the Streets of Asia lights were $5.38, Aurora Bot was $10.42 when the site came back up. Just so you can compare and see what you're getting later on today (I won't be online until much later. Sleeping then errands.) 

Happy for you Jakiblue! yes  Is your DIM working right now though?

Hmmmm DAZ Studio won't connect either. Trust me to want to reinstall and everything on the day that DAZ site exploded. This is getting annoying. Can d/l from the site, but neither DIM nor Connect are working. 

jakiblue said:

Hmmmm DAZ Studio won't connect either. Trust me to want to reinstall and everything on the day that DAZ site exploded. This is getting annoying. Can d/l from the site, but neither DIM nor Connect are working. 

LOL, now there's more people than just me getting cranky LOL. 

I generally get cranky at daz at least once a day. LOL.  

Novica said:

jakiblue said:

LOL, now there's more people than just me getting cranky LOL. 

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Continuing to investigate the Inked Vol. 12 UV concern that @DarwinsMishap brought to my attention, I tried Ivan 7. I looked only at the upper body. It has so many gaps and misplaced  tattoo areas, I don't see how it could be used at all. I've updated my help request to point out these issues and question the product page statement that Inked Vol. 12 "can be applied to any Genesis 3 Male Character". It can't even be used on the Daz original characters, unless they use Base Male UV. Do any of them use Base Male UV?

You can change the UV maps of any base model to the G3M base UV's in the materials/surfaces tab. I can't do a screenshot (at work), but the option is usually down by the displacement options.  Change them there and try again?

@DarwinsMishap, well, yes you can change the UV in the Surfaces pane, but then the character's skin won't fit the model. The skin itself will have all the gaps and discontinuities. This Inked product says it is a full bodysuit, but it is really just isolated areas applied with LIE to the character's skin with a multiply blend. The only way I can think of to use this Inked product on characters with another UV, is to use Map Transfer to actually remap the character's UV and generate new skin maps. I don't even know if Map Transfer works with Genesis 3. Do you?

In the attached image, I tried your suggestion. The tattoo fits Base Male UV (although it still has the basic seam flaw of the product), but now Ivan's skin doesn't fit him. Look at the white gaps at the shoulder and underarm, the dark fingernails, the flesh colored wedge on his head and neck, etc.

Edit: Well I know of another way to apply one UV over another UV, and that is a Geometry Shell. But I don't know how to make the Geometry Shell do the proper multiply blend to make the tattoo look right. Does anyone know how to do that. It could be an elegant solution to the UV issue.

Well-I'm sorry it didn't work.  The basic seam issues are enough of an issue, add the pelvic area issues as well when using the anatomical elements...I don't know.  I know how *I* would fix that, but I wouldn't be able to share the fix since it's not my product.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919
    Novica said:

I reinstalled Shayla and she works from the (Content Library) Characters then the Avatar. Ears are fine. 

HOWEVER- in Content Library- Characters Avatars (images), Mika is not there. In the Characters list, ONLY THE MORPHS ARE THERE. No materials. I have to go to Products to get the materals, morphs, and Actor. And the Elf Ears Remove WORK from the Products list. 

Someone double check me?

Odd. She shows up fine for me in content library, in Genesis 3 Females > Characters folder.

When you're in Products, right click on Mika 7 (actor). Then select Show Asset In > Content Library Mapped Folder. That should take you to where she is located in your content library tab.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

The cart prices on today's sale seem pretty consistent, Novica. I went to bed at about 1 AM and Chastity was in my cart at $4.52 and she is still at the same price this morning around 8 AM. 

Maybe the big downtime was them ensuring there wouldn't be any major stacking fubars on this sale. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited March 2017

Some good products in Fast Grab

Provence, Vaulted Hall Library BundleLake VillageRoman Doric Forum Starter BundleMedieval Construction Bundle. I have the first 3 already and the last two have been on my wishlist for some time.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I finally got my Vaulted Library! Been drooling over that bundle forever. The rest have to wait. There are fairy wings to buy! LOL

Llynara said:

I finally got my Vaulted Library! Been drooling over that bundle forever. The rest have to wait. There are fairy wings to buy! LOL

I have it in my wish list, and it is at the price I set for a notification if it went below... 

But now I can't remember why I wanted it bad enough to add it to my wishlist and to set the notification if the price went that low. 

I've got lots of stately wooden reading-room kind of sets. I'm just not sure I need another. At one time, though, it must have been high on my list. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Continuing to investigate the Inked Vol. 12 UV concern that @DarwinsMishap brought to my attention, I tried Ivan 7. I looked only at the upper body. It has so many gaps and misplaced  tattoo areas, I don't see how it could be used at all. I've updated my help request to point out these issues and question the product page statement that Inked Vol. 12 "can be applied to any Genesis 3 Male Character". It can't even be used on the Daz original characters, unless they use Base Male UV. Do any of them use Base Male UV?

You can change the UV maps of any base model to the G3M base UV's in the materials/surfaces tab. I can't do a screenshot (at work), but the option is usually down by the displacement options.  Change them there and try again?

@DarwinsMishap, well, yes you can change the UV in the Surfaces pane, but then the character's skin won't fit the model. The skin itself will have all the gaps and discontinuities. This Inked product says it is a full bodysuit, but it is really just isolated areas applied with LIE to the character's skin with a multiply blend. The only way I can think of to use this Inked product on characters with another UV, is to use Map Transfer to actually remap the character's UV and generate new skin maps. I don't even know if Map Transfer works with Genesis 3. Do you?

In the attached image, I tried your suggestion. The tattoo fits Base Male UV (although it still has the basic seam flaw of the product), but now Ivan's skin doesn't fit him. Look at the white gaps at the shoulder and underarm, the dark fingernails, the flesh colored wedge on his head and neck, etc.

Edit: Well I know of another way to apply one UV over another UV, and that is a Geometry Shell. But I don't know how to make the Geometry Shell do the proper multiply blend to make the tattoo look right. Does anyone know how to do that. It could be an elegant solution to the UV issue.

Well-I'm sorry it didn't work.  The basic seam issues are enough of an issue, add the pelvic area issues as well when using the anatomical elements...I don't know.  I know how *I* would fix that, but I wouldn't be able to share the fix since it's not my product.

@DarwinsMishap perhaps you could share your fixing technique with the vendor @ShanasSoulmate. This could be a nice product, if the seams were fixed and it fit more than just the Base Male UV. That fact that it doesn't even support Daz original G3M characters is a no-go for me. I'm waiting to see if there will be an update within my 30 day purchase window, rather than requesting an immediate refund. Personally, I don't care about the anatomical elements, because I don't render nudes, but other people do care, so I pointed out the issues with that.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    RGcincy said:

Provence, Vaulted Hall Library BundleLake VillageRoman Doric Forum Starter BundleMedieval Construction Bundle. I have the first 3 already and the last two have been on my wishlist for some time.

Most of the are on my wishlist.  Now, my wishlist is slightly less lol. 

edited March 2017
    But now I can't remember why I wanted it bad enough to add it to my wishlist and to set the notification if the price went that low. 

The Vaulted Library Bundle contains 4 products, one of which is Treasury of Books. We were showcasing book props in January and that was one that was shown. Another product in it is Maps of the Empire. Perhaps it was for one of those rather than the room. At $7.49 for the bundle (even less with MM buyer bonus), it's $1.87 each for 4 good products.

Post edited by RGcincy on
    RGcincy said:

There's been several really good Fast Grabs days in the past month or so, today's was another one.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    RGcincy said:
    RGcincy said:

There's been several really good Fast Grabs days in the past month or so, today's was another one.

Definitely.  Fleshing out my Faveral library is always a plus lol.  I did get the library as well, as its been on my wishlist for a long time.  And the creature morphs bundle as well.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    RGcincy said:
    RGcincy said:

Yep, sure have.  Fleshed out my Flipmode products and got a few more of those out of the wishlist the other day and into my library.  Picked up three all in one go.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited March 2017

Not sure if anyone showed this yet but it's Shaya (still endlessly rendering) for Mika with Georgia hair which you can make long, wavy, go behind ears, my new favorite hair! And I'm still in love with Mika and her addition to the gene pool!  I'm getting Stonemason's set but probably can't use it until I can figure out how to get NVIDIA on my Mac or laptop... The FWSA character looks too much like Shaya without the Mika morph...

Shaya.JPG
    448 x 487 - 43K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

The Vaulted Library Bundle contains 4 products, one of which is Treasury of Books. We were showcasing book props in January and that was one that was shown. Another product in it is Maps of the Empire. Perhaps it was for one of those rather than the room. At $7.49 for the bundle (even less with MM buyer bonus), it's $1.87 each for 4 good products.

Darnit. That must have been it. I think I'm going to have to go buy it now. 

OOT hair products are always top notch, and the prices generally reflect it. They tend to stay in my wishlist because they never get to a price I can bring myself to pay. 

edited March 2017

Hey @Wonderland   It doesn't matter if a product has been shown before or not, we love seeing the renders. I've done two characters, one is Shayla, and I'll post her in the next day or two. Want to get started with Grace.

FWSA Grace for Victoria 7       Frosty Winter (Gen3F)    

I wanted Grace because she has a different nose than most of the Gen3F, particularly from the side view.  She's wearing Vidra Hair, which we've showcased many times. I am still looking, but the front morphs seem lacking, there's no way to tweak the front. It looks like a stiff bell, with the front raised up a bit. I went into Scene and broke it down all the way through the bones, I tried Parameters. I didn't find a good movement or morph for the front but they must be hiding somewhere. 

Edit: nope, no good morphs for the front. It's got loosen sides, loosen this and that, but really not much else for any part of the shirt. 

GraceFrostyWinterVidraHair.png
    771 x 800 - 910K
    GraceFrostyWinterVidraHair2.png
    771 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited March 2017

OOT hair products are always top notch, and the prices generally reflect it. They tend to stay in my wishlist because they never get to a price I can bring myself to pay. 

As part of the bundle with the Georgia character and underwear, it was about $14.00 for all three! Totally worth it! Now I want to get the extra fantasy colors for all their hairs, hoping for another big sale on their hair soon. 64% is not enough for me now, hoping for 70% off or more! 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I like grace's nose too. That is a shape that is missing from the male genetics that is really common in comics. Would love a nose with that bump in it

• DareshiranuDareshiranu Posts: 177

Anyone happen to know if FWSA Chastity's facial piercing is part of her material or something that can be added like tattoos? I get quite a few figures these days for the quality of the skins and such more than anything and I like hers but I hate face jewelry... and moles or beauty marks. Though I like freckles, go figure. So I pretty much ignore any figure that has a prominant facial mole/beauty mark. But in this case it looks like it should be removeable. The $100 question is...

edited March 2017

Anyone happen to know if FWSA Chastity's facial piercing is part of her material or something that can be added like tattoos? I get quite a few figures these days for the quality of the skins and such more than anything and I like hers but I hate face jewelry... and moles or beauty marks. Though I like freckles, go figure. So I pretty much ignore any figure that has a prominant facial mole/beauty mark. But in this case it looks like it should be removeable. The $100 question is...

I bought FWSA Chastity, and I don't think the piercing is even included in the product. I can't find any file for it. It isn't listed as being included in the product page either. I'm seeing more and more product promos showing things that aren't included. You really have to read carefully. Like the new Stonemason set. People are saying that none of the atmospheric effects that are shown in the promos are included. Of course the cars, robots, etc. aren't included either in that set.

Edit to add; She is not my favorite FWSA female, but worth the bargain price I paid, for sure. I don't care for the gray fingernails, gray lachrymals, or the greenish teeth. They can be altered in the Surface pane if you are willing to experiment. The very sunken cheeks are a little extreme for me, too, but that is just my taste. I'll play with mixing her with other characters. She has some interesting eye color choices, including eyes that don't match (heterochromia). If you use the high translucency option, she is not as pale as the promos look. I've had a little trouble finding expressions that look OK on her. The image below is supposed to be a smile. I think she'll be a nice addition to my runtime with a little tweaking. She renders pretty quickly. This image with all the hair, jewelry, and clothing took only 10 minutes. Lighting is an HDRI.

Im adding a second image that shows the fingernails, lachrymals, and teeth. Those wrinkles aloing the nose look a little strange to me with this expression.

Chastity Rev Hair NYE suit.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Chastity Rev Hair NYE suit 2.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I bought Chasity just to make up the numbers (what I wanted would have been massively more expensive without her). Having done a quick test render, I think she's a bit pale and extreme-looking for a 'girl next door' type, but should have her uses in fantasy/horror renders. I looked for any sign of the piercing in the product description and didn't expect to find it included, but think it really daft that it was shown in every single image of her. I like her eye options and her spider tattoo though, and do expect to use her now and again. Nice renders, barbult, particularly the first one. I agree she needs to work a bit on that welcoming smile though!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Not sure if anyone showed this yet but it's Shaya (still endlessly rendering) for Mika with Georgia hair which you can make long, wavy, go behind ears, my new favorite hair! And I'm still in love with Mika and her addition to the gene pool!  I'm getting Stonemason's set but probably can't use it until I can figure out how to get NVIDIA on my Mac or laptop... The FWSA character looks too much like Shaya without the Mika morph...

Oh, wow, Wonderland! That's gorgeous! Love this combo! And didn't know that about the hair. Thank you!

I bought Chasity just to make up the numbers (what I wanted would have been massively more expensive without her). Having done a quick test render, I think she's a bit pale and extreme-looking for a 'girl next door' type, but should have her uses in fantasy/horror renders. I looked for any sign of the piercing in the product description and didn't expect to find it included, but think it really daft that it was shown in every single image of her. I like her eye options and her spider tattoo though, and do expect to use her now and again. Nice renders, barbult, particularly the first one. I agree she needs to work a bit on that welcoming smile though!

Definitely a better evil queen than girl next door!

I'm a happy camper! I've been wanting to try my hand at rigging a prop and did my first one last night. It turned out to be fairly straightforward with the bus prop I was using. I share the steps I followed in my Big City thread. I may have to try it on a non-opening door in a room to see if it works as well.

This discussion has been closed.