Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Continuing to investigate the Inked Vol. 12 UV concern that @DarwinsMishap brought to my attention, I tried Ivan 7. I looked only at the upper body. It has so many gaps and misplaced  tattoo areas, I don't see how it could be used at all. I've updated my help request to point out these issues and question the product page statement that Inked Vol. 12 "can be applied to any Genesis 3 Male Character". It can't even be used on the Daz original characters, unless they use Base Male UV. Do any of them use Base Male UV?

You can change the UV maps of any base model to the G3M base UV's in the materials/surfaces tab. I can't do a screenshot (at work), but the option is usually down by the displacement options.  Change them there and try again?

@DarwinsMishap, well, yes you can change the UV in the Surfaces pane, but then the character's skin won't fit the model. The skin itself will have all the gaps and discontinuities. This Inked product says it is a full bodysuit, but it is really just isolated areas applied with LIE to the character's skin with a multiply blend. The only way I can think of to use this Inked product on characters with another UV, is to use Map Transfer to actually remap the character's UV and generate new skin maps. I don't even know if Map Transfer works with Genesis 3. Do you?

In the attached image, I tried your suggestion. The tattoo fits Base Male UV (although it still has the basic seam flaw of the product), but now Ivan's skin doesn't fit him. Look at the white gaps at the shoulder and underarm, the dark fingernails, the flesh colored wedge on his head and neck, etc.

Edit: Well I know of another way to apply one UV over another UV, and that is a Geometry Shell. But I don't know how to make the Geometry Shell do the proper multiply blend to make the tattoo look right. Does anyone know how to do that. It could be an elegant solution to the UV issue.

Ivan 7 UV changed in Surfaces pane.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 545K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2017

I really don't like those fingernails either!

Post edited by Novica on
  • I suspect that the Inked description means any character using the Genesis 3Male UVs, rather than any G3M character

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Inked Vol 12 needs to come with a No Regerts tattoo decal you can place over areas where the seams don't line up. :D

I suspect that the Inked description means any character using the Genesis 3Male UVs, rather than any G3M character

Well, that pretty much eliminates all the Daz Original characters, doesn't it?

The UV issue is the second inaccurate statement in the description of this product, Daz already updated the product page once, to delete the statement about it including multiple styles, sizes, and black and white and color. Sounds like they need to do another fix.

edited March 2017

Inked Vol 12 needs to come with a No Regerts tattoo decal you can place over areas where the seams don't line up. :D

LOL!  Get that dude a Snickers bar. (Edit- not sure if people overseas get that commercial- but it has to do with people not doing well until a certain chocolate candy bar is consumed.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

Here's another of Aether, wearing Lani Hair.

aetherLaniHair2.png
    826 x 804 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Thank you for getting us back on a positive track.

edited March 2017

Here is 50% Aiko 7 and 50% Lilinoe for Kalea 7. The skin is Aiko 7. The background and lighting is Ultra Genesis Bokeh Vol 1 - Natural. The hair is Georgia Hair and OOT Hairblending 2.0 for Genesis 3 Female(s). The dress is Starlight Dress for Genesis from the Daz Freebies, still free as of now. The necklace is from Jewelry Basics for Genesis 3 Female.

Aiko Lilinoe bokeh Georgia hair_004.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

Very nice render, Barbut. I Aiko 7 can be the base of some very beautiful photorealistic women for being marketed as a big-eyed Anime cartoon character. :) 

I just couldn't pass up the chance at that No Regerts shot at Inked 12, Novica. It was just right there waiting for someone to do it! 

On the fingernails... I get that nail-fungus color sometimes when I add shaders or a LIE layer or mess with a geoshell or otherwise mess with the default surface. The trick is often to either just select all surfaces EXCEPT nails - or to go in and turn the glossiness down to zero if you get nails that look funky. 

Very nice render, Barbut. I Aiko 7 can be the base of some very beautiful photorealistic women for being marketed as a big-eyed Anime cartoon character. :) 

I just couldn't pass up the chance at that No Regerts shot at Inked 12, Novica. It was just right there waiting for someone to do it! 

On the fingernails... I get that nail-fungus color sometimes when I add shaders or a LIE layer or mess with a geoshell or otherwise mess with the default surface. The trick is often to either just select all surfaces EXCEPT nails - or to go in and turn the glossiness down to zero if you get nails that look funky. 

The nails on that Ivan render look bad because of the the experiment to change the UV selection. That Base Male UV is inappropriate for the  Ivan 7 skin maps, and the wrong parts of the arms image map are put on his fingernails. Ivan 7 with his correct UV map looks fine.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Just a heads up if it hasnt been mentioned, if you bought or are going to buy Mika 7 pro bundle and are a bonus buyer, the gift cards go to 24%.  I wasn't actually that interested in the Mika bundle but at $23 bucks the hair and clothes alone were worth it.  So buy the buncle first and check out then buy your gift card.

Yeah. They got me the first day on the Mika 7 pro bundle. I didn't realize I could buy her with a gift card and then buy a gift card for the bigger discount afterwards, so now I'm sitting on around $100 of store credit. By the time I was done, I got her for $17.50 with the flowers prop and a texture for one of her outfits. I guess if you bought a $100 gift card, she could be purchased for as little as 81 cents. :) 

Other than the blow-out day on utilities, this sale hasn't really been blowing me away. Last year at this time I was scooping up Generation 4 Pro Bundles for $4... There haven't been a lot of deep discounts on Pro Bundles this time around, and other than Mika, you had to be quick to get 'em - and there are only a few left I want to add - so I'm hoping we see some deep discounting on those. 

I did finish up on buying all of the RDNA items that I wanted as Freebies during Christmas at $0.12 - $0.80 each... But overall, my spending has slowed way down this year. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Mine has too.  I've got more than enough stuff although my wishlist keeps growing.  I take a serious look at my content before I purchase anything to make sure I don't have anything in my runtime that will do the job.  And, I've started buying things that allow me to use items across generations which has also helped a great deal.

Okay, so how do you get Mika without those elf ears?  When I load her they are on her, and REM does nothing. Same with Shayla. I don't want the ears!

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

The Mika 7 elf ears remove works for me.

There's also a morph in parameters pane called 'Mika 7 Elf Ears'. You can set that to 0.

Novica said:

Okay, so how do you get Mika without those elf ears?  When I load her they are on her, and REM does nothing. Same with Shayla. I don't want the ears!

If I recall correctly, Izabella had the same problem. The "remove ears" preset would only work if you applied the ears separately, but not if you loaded the character with the ears. I don't remember whether they ever fixed that or not.

I already tried the Parameters, I tried loading Mika, then Shaya, I tried every combination I can think of but nothing gets rid of the ears. The REM definitely does NOT work when Mika is loaded from the Character avatars. Can I load Gen3F then Shayla- will the Mika be built in? Arrgh.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

That's odd. I just go to products > mika 7 > Figures > Mika 7 (actor). Then I select shaping (also from smart content products tab) and double click Mika elf Ears Remove. Works like a charm!

Oddly the Mika 7 Head Remove -Shape doesn't work but the morph dialed to 0 works for that.

I used DIM to install. Did you use Connect?

If I load G3F and dial in Shayla...Mika7 gets dialed in automatically to 50%.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Can you just apply the skin to genesis 3 female and then laod a non-elf morph?

edited March 2017
    havsm said:

That's odd. I just go to products > mika 7 > Figures > Mika 7 (actor). Then I select shaping (also from smart content products tab) and double click Mika elf Ears Remove. Works like a charm!

Oddly the Mika 7 Head Remove -Shape doesn't work but the morph dialed to 0 works for that.

I used DIM to install. Did you use Connect?

If I load G3F and dial in Shayla...Mika7 gets dialed in automatically to 50%.

I'll try again in a few minutes. Rendering something else at the moment. I uninstalled and installed again. I use DIM. Thanks for the specifics, I'll try it again. I don't use Shaping- and we shouldn't HAVE TO. It should load and work with ear remove.

Post edited by Novica on

And, I've started buying things that allow me to use items across generations which has also helped a great deal.

Yup. My big wishlist items all deal with bringing different content across generations at this point. Cayman Studio's G3 UVs for G2 and V4 are a big ticket item for me right now... Zev0's pose converters for V4 and from G2 to G3... GenX for moving morphs and expressions around... shaders to repurpose older items. Anything that can breath new life into old content is what I'm after. That is part of why that utility-deal day busted my bank. :) 

I had no problem getting rid of her Elf Ears, but I don't remember exactly how I did it. 

Couldn't you just load one of the other characters... Sparkle is human by default, and then dial down the Sparkle and dial up the Mika in Parameters or Shaping to full then apply the right texture? 

I just noticed you are using Smart Content. I am a Content Library loader. I'm glad people have found ways to load her up, using other tabs/panes, but seriously?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

A 'rem elf ears' SHOULD work. Regardless of how you are loading her or from where. The fact it doesn't would get me cranky. Have you put a ticket in? 

Novica said:

I just noticed you are using Smart Content. I am a Content Library loader. I'm glad people have found ways to load her up, using other tabs/panes, but seriously?

edited March 2017

I reinstalled Shayla and she works from the (Content Library) Characters then the Avatar. Ears are fine. 

HOWEVER- in Content Library- Characters Avatars (images), Mika is not there. In the Characters list, ONLY THE MORPHS ARE THERE. No materials. I have to go to Products to get the materals, morphs, and Actor. And the Elf Ears Remove WORK from the Products list. 

Someone double check me?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017
    jakiblue said:

A 'rem elf ears' SHOULD work. Regardless of how you are loading her or from where. The fact it doesn't would get me cranky. Have you put a ticket in? 

Novica said:

If this is this screwed up, I'm done playing. Forget a ticket, I'm going to track down the CEO and complain about the absolutely lousy job QA has been doing. There's no excuse- NONE- for all the problems everyone has had with product releases. This is SO noticeable it isn't something that WAS EVEN TESTED.

Poor Barbult- if she were paid $1 PER GLITCH she'd retire extremely wealthy. I've had counters in kitchens not attached to the cabinets, signatures in hairlines, you name it. Although QA helps the vendors, if their job ISN'T to test the products, the CEO needs to get an earful. ( I'm past cranky, obviously.)

Post edited by Novica on

The store is down and the forums are blue. Now more people can be cranky.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    Saba Taru said:

Anyone else having this problem with the Princess Aaliyah dress? It bends where it shouldn't. (I used shaders on it)

Which part are you asking about?  I see a dress that is rigged to follow the thighs and has some modeled in "wrinkles" around the torso and waist.  I'm not seeing it bend anywhere it shouldn't in the front (and I tried it with a lot of poses).  Not saying there isn't a problem, just that I can't immediately identify which part you're asking about.  Which pose did you use in your image?  Does it do it with other poses?  Rigging is generally built for "most" poses, but some poses will cause problems no matter what you do.

I do, however, see several instance where the inset panel in the front splits from the trim at the bottom hem and a strange indent in the back (dead center) of the dress at the bottom hem when certain (non-extreme) poses are applied.

Yeah, the crack in the middle that looks like it would be between her legs but it's not.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    Novica said:

The store is down and the forums are blue. Now more people can be cranky.

Yup. Just dumped about 50 items from my cart, PC and unicorn stuff that of course jumped up in price after the store came back up,,,

Well, I'm tired of figuring prices, I do the quick math and if it's cheaper than what I have figured, and it is a good deal, I get it. I got three wishlist things free just now by buying three of the newly mad. The Aurora Bot, Streets of Asia Lights (which I figure I can use)  and Chastity. I can always use her morphs and change up the skin. Those came to about $20 and I got $36 for free of items I almost bought the past few days, and they would have totaled at least $15 or more.

We talked about  Polish's Heavy Motorcycle Road Cruiser, there's a way to really change that up with the Wasteland Add-on.  The Explorer Suit (Gen3M) is rather unique with that face (I don't care for the thing on the back, but camera angles take care of that.)  Starslayer is sleek, I love the cushioned boots with flat soles, and it comes with the rifle. Great for free!  While you're surfing the freebies, look at the prices. Get the more expensive ones from your wishlist.  These three were on my wishlist- yippee!

TIP:  I know us old timers know this, but for you newbies- NEVER use a PC+ code when you have freebies in the cart. It will deduct from all items in the cart and you will waste some of your discount.

This discussion has been closed.