Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Been meaning to try this for a while now - finally got around to it. :-)

Scorpion.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 255K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2013

mjc1016 said:
    Spyro said:
    Heres a hairstyle I just made in GH12.

With that hair, it's really noticeable how bad the eyebrows are...they look like someone shaved them off and then drew them on with a pencil .

That's true, I'll be making some eyebrows soon, I have toyed with facial hair an body hair... But thus far I've found it a bit difficult to work with hair beyond a certain shortness. Having said that though, the new feature that helps prevent hair going through the figures geometry will be very useful for eyebrows, especially since it's so close to a persons skin surface. With eyebrows, I'm thinking OBJ export will be necessary, since the eyebrows are important to be visible in the view port for face shaping and expressions. - I'm also a bit concerned that there wont be enough curves to control the eyebrows, but again, I haven't yet got to it.

The greyness is impacted by my light set up, theirs a stronger specularity in that point of the image, it's also pretty white lighting with subtle blue tinge ... Brown hair is easier to control than black hair... I think I'll try darkening his hair, a tad, and add some more brown vibrancy to the specular channel. :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

That is very cool! I have been looking at several buz cut images that have artistic patterns on them. But haven't yet tried it. Great job man :)

edited January 2013

First attempt at Eyebrows.

As expected, it was more difficult to control, Not just the combing, but the length aswell due to limited curves and short length. Distribution maps had to be finner than the texture reference Diffuse. Root Angle is very useful for fine eyebrows.

I think It really does need a transparency map and Colour texture to help reduce its predominance. I also think a map is needed for the thickness, eyebrows are thinner follicles on the outer edges and the inner halves.

I also noticed hair follicles appearing outside the distribution white paint zone. And the render of the eyebrows makes it look more realistic and 3D but at the same time, more predominant.

Amount of hair folicles needed to be rather High also, due to the limited surface space.

GHair_Renders_Working_SpyroV6_Eyebrow.png
    925 x 925 - 913K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

For a first go, the eyebrows look great. Much better than the drawn on ones :-)

edited January 2013

Trial and Error... Lots of Trial and Error LOL!

I'll make a start on the notes I posted with the render, I'm also thinking it may need a little more hair count. It's already set to like 420/500

edited January 2013

Ok You cant add a map to control it's width :( And I also dont know how to add a map to the opacity either.

I tried a width lower than the default. It really improves the outer edges... But dont work well with the center and outer hairs. I'm using a map on the new 'reduce length setting' at the value of 0.1, Sounds small, yet very effective. That map is an inverted and slightly adjusted Distribution map. I tried the colour map to help create the illusion of thinner hair, but it didn't work well for what I was trying to do.

So, I think it comes down to, needs An opacity map, needs the ability to add a map to control the thickness so that the inner ends and the outer edges of the brow are thinner than the center. (Unless, you use two nodes.) It's a shame about genesis resolution, more curves would really help.

Nonetheless, This is what I came up with.

2 Maps...
    - Distribution
    - Reduce Length (Altered Inverted Distribution)

GHair_Renders_Working_SpyroV6_Eyebrow_5.png
    925 x 925 - 912K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Ok You cant add a map to control it's width :( And I also dont know how to add a map to the opacity either.

I tried a width lower than the default. It really improves the outer edges... But dont work well with the center and outer hairs. I'm using a map on the new 'reduce length setting' at the value of 0.1, Sounds small, yet very effective. That map is an inverted and slightly adjusted Distribution map. I tried the colour map to help create the illusion of thinner hair, but it didn't work well for what I was trying to do.

So, I think it comes down to, needs An opacity map, needs the ability to add a map to control the thickness so that the inner ends and the outer edges of the brow are thinner than the center. (Unless, you use two nodes.) It's a shame about genesis resolution, more curves would really help.

Nonetheless, This is what I came up with.

needs a hair cut ;-)

edited December 1969

Maybe his bro will shave of his eyebrows in his sleep :-P

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Nice brows Spyro!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

Oh I love this.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited January 2013

Spyro those eyebrows look very good.

Post edited by scorpio on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 1969

Very impressive stuff being done here.
    I just installed Beta 12 (first one I've tried to use) and am finding it a mixture of great fun and some frustration - had a couple of crashes. Should there be a log file somewhere to see what went wrong?
    Anyway, here is my first and second (ever) trials. They are very much playing rather than particularly good, but show what I managed in a relatively short time this evening.

High-Tail-1.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 338K
    Grey-Wizard.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 409K
  • foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited January 2013

Playing with Beta 12...My evil creature is having major problems but nothing that cant be fixed tho...so here is something I whipped up when I got frustrated with Evil...

Girl4Pinup1.png
    1024 x 1024 - 245K
    PinupGirl4_1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 712K
    Post edited by foleypro on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys! :cheese:

@ Foley - Yeah, long hair can be a drag to render, bumps up my render time by 5-6 times longer than usual.

@Melanie - Nice, I like the beard. Nice work :) I'd add a stronger straggle frequency to make it more a scraggly beard, and Root angle will be particularly useful for facial hair as well :)

edited December 1969

A simple hair style.

SimpleHair.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 570K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I like it Gone :-) Looks similar to the Bubblegum hair style in the store.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I've run into a problem...I created a mesh, specifically for something...it's mapped and everything. No problems, there...I can load a node it and everything...except when I go to distribute, anything over 10 gives me a bazillion hairs. I've got it at 5 and for something that is a scaled 15", I end up with almost 200,000 hairs...or about 700 hairs/sq inch (not the entire mesh is covered with hair)...did I make the mesh 'too' finely divided? Is there a practical limit when it comes to the mesh?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Thanks guys! :cheese:

@ Foley - Yeah, long hair can be a drag to render, bumps up my render time by 5-6 times longer than usual.

@Melanie - Nice, I like the beard. Nice work :) I'd add a stronger straggle frequency to make it more a scraggly beard, and Root angle will be particularly useful for facial hair as well :)

Thanks - I've only just started with this, so not entirely sure what effect the various parameters have. I watched the intro video and am looking forward to more help stuff. It certainly looks like a very good product - I hope I can afford it when it goes on release! :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just a random question I can not find an answer to. Has the Cross-Talk issue between LAMH and GB been fixed? On my PC I can not have both installed at the same time. If I do neither one will run, they both crash when I try to use them.

I'm only using one at a time not both at once. I know better than to try that.

edited December 1969

I cant confirm that its they dont work if both installed. But I have came across people that have said they use both. Is it crashing immediately when you open Garibaldi/LAMH? Is it crashing while your making a hairstyle or is it crashing at render?

As Garibaldi is in beta testing, Save a crash log, then email the crash log rar folder to futureBiscuit. (Email is on Garibaldi website, first post on this thread). The crash logs are useful to him to fix/find out what the problem is. :)

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    A simple hair style.

That is beautiful Gone! May I ask, Did you use multiple nodes here? When making parted hairstyles like this, I've always had to use multiple nodes else the hair uncontrollably sticks up.

Beautiful work with the hair Shader/Texture. That's a nice balance with the Salt/Pepper :)

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Gone said:
    A simple hair style.

That is beautiful Gone! May I ask, Did you use multiple nodes here? When making parted hairstyles like this, I've always had to use multiple nodes else the hair uncontrollably sticks up.

Beautiful work with the hair Shader/Texture. That's a nice balance with the Salt/Pepper :)

Thanks.

I did use 2 nodes for the hair - but not because of the part. The second node was used for the wisps. The main hair was set to 150 and the wisp hair was a copy of the main hair with distribution set to 10 - and then I rendered at an angle that doesn't show them very well. :lol:

I've found that, if autopart is set to 100, there is very little uncontrollable hair - as long as there are no "crinkles" in the guide hairs. When hair is combed, the comb needs to be applied all the way to the end of the guide hair. If the guide hair is not smooth from root to tip, you get the uncontrolled hairs. Smoothing the guide hairs usually settles things down. At least that's been my experience.

Of course, there are times when you want some uncontrolled hairs. With the lion's mane I did, I made it a point to put lots of crinkles in the guide hairs to give it an unrully look.

BTW, there is a third node it that picture - for the eyebrows.

With regards to GH and LAMH, I have both installed with no issues. The only time I have seen "interference" is when I tried to put both LAMH and GH hair in the same scene. As I expected, it crashed.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Hmm... I get Crash at render time with both when both are installed. Well, I did. I've not tried after I updated to DS4.5.1.56. I'll try it again now that I've done a full clean install. Thanks for the info.

Now I need to install again but it's a CLEAN install.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    A simple hair style.
    Now that is what I am after, fine hair...great work Gone.
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I am loving all the hairstayles and eyebrows from the last couple of pages... and Gone that simple hairstyle is awesome!! Great job. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

I guess the KISS principle really works. No! I'm not talking about the rock band! :lol:

edited December 1969

@Gone - Man you did eyebrows - They look soo great! I'm getting there with mine, it's difficult to balance the right hair thickness with the hair count. and then there's constant renders to ensure the combing was right for the particular shape of brow, and to ensure the hair isnt sticking out too much like a old man with thick overgrown eyebrows lol

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hmm... I get Crash at render time with both when both are installed. Well, I did. I've not tried after I updated to DS4.5.1.56. I'll try it again now that I've done a full clean install. Thanks for the info.

Now I need to install again but it's a CLEAN install.

Yes GH has been constantly upgraded. A fresh install with your fresh clean installed DS will prob help your issue. I look forward to seeing your creations! :) It's been a while since your last renders.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Thanks for all the great comments guys!

I guess the KISS principle really works. No! I'm not talking about the rock band! :lol:

Last time I mentioned the KISS principle I was accused of calling others Simple........you can never win on forums.

But yeah Gone I agree....keeping things simple works for me. :)

This discussion has been closed.