Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    What scull cap are you using? other than the military style blond haircut I did, I've only used one garibaldi hair. The blond used top hair and back/sides. I've also only worked on genesis, I have no Genesis scull cap... Only ones I have are M4, and they dont fit well on genesis.

Also - Thanks very much MangeeD! I'll be using colour maps in my coming project :cheese:

The skull cap is just a second hair node using the same distribution map as the main hair. The colour, etc is the same as the main hair (or not - as you see fit) but the hair is short and combed flat to the head. It serves the same purpose as the skull caps in the more traditional hair props.

The attached image shows how the 2 nodes are combed.

Earlier, you indicated that you have a generic distribution map you made (hair density map) and import for your new character/hair style. You can use it on as many hair nodes as your machine can handle - there's nothing that says it can only be used once per hair style. Just once per hair node.

JustinHair.jpg
    1334 x 620 - 176K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2013

Oh wow, thats clever :) I'll give that a go. Is the distribution amount (Hair count) changed on the scull cap to differ the actual hair? I'd imagine having two nodes with distribution amount of 300 would kinda be overkill. (300-360 has been the average over all the short hairstyles I've done... any less and they look as if theyre balding, mind you this was using one node not two)

And your Justin is looking fantastic btw!

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Thanks, MD..finally got it to take a color map...the file save dialog box isn't exactly 'correct' on my system, I suspect it's WINE issue, so it wasn't saving where I thought it was saving...it creates a nested folder in the folder I'm saving to...so I wasn't actually loading the color map...I was reloading the grayscale map....I guess that also explains why I wasn't getting a rename/overwrite dialog box when moving the color png to what I thought was the right location.

• Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited January 2013

I'm joining this threat late. I am very interested in Garibaldi. Is this compatible with Reality Plugin for Daz studio? Can the hair be exported to be used in other programs?

So far Garibaldi hair system is the most realistic hair I have ever seen in Daz Studio. When I just viewed the hair examples, it looked photo real (soft, glossy and thin). The other program I was thinking about getting, the hair looked a little wire-like and stiff. So I am looking foreword to getting this program.

Post edited by Jake_35533 on
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Oh wow, thats clever :) I'll give that a go. Is the distribution amount (Hair count) changed on the scull cap to differ the actual hair? I'd imagine having two nodes with distribution amount of 300 would kinda be overkill. (300-360 has been the average over all the short hairstyles I've done... any less and they look as if theyre balding, mind you this was using one node not two)

And your Justin is looking fantastic btw!

As you say, with 2 nodes you can end up with the same hair count split between the nodes. With a skull cap, the hair is very short so the vert count goes way down. It also means that, if you want flyaway hairs, you will get 3 or 4 hairs attached to the flyway guide instead of 15 or 20.

Also, you will want to use different seeds for each node so the hairs get more random distribution between the 2 - or 3 or 4 nodes. :coolgrin:

BTW, it seems I lied about Justin - this was the second one, not the first. :-)

edited December 1969

I'm joining this threat late. I am very interested in Garibaldi. Is this compatible with Reality Plugin for Daz studio? Can the hair be exported to be used in other programs?

So far Garibaldi hair system is the most realistic hair I have ever seen in Daz Studio. When I just viewed the hair examples, it looked photo real (soft, glossy and thin). The other program I was thinking about getting, the hair looked a little wire-like and stiff. So I am looking foreword to getting this program.

Garibaldi is exploiting the ricurves feature of the Renderman engine and there is no plan to export it as an .obj - at least for version 1 - so it cannot be used in Reality. Garibaldi needs to be present for the render to work so the hair could not be used in other programs. If there is an .obj export developed, then the .obj could be used in any program that supports those objects.

For now, at least, Garibaldi is strictly a DS plugin.

edited January 2013

Gone said:

Garibaldi is exploiting the ricurves feature of the Renderman engine and there is no plan to export it as an .obj - at least for version 1 - so it cannot be used in Reality. Garibaldi needs to be present for the render to work so the hair could not be used in other programs. If there is an .obj export developed, then the .obj could be used in any program that supports those objects.

For now, at least, Garibaldi is strictly a DS plugin.

That's a shame becuase you could really do serious photoreal renderings if it was compatible with reality plugin. The hair in Garibaldi is more realistic than what Daz characters can look in 3Dlight. Its like putting a real hair wig on a mannequin.

How much will Garibaldi cost when it's ready? And what does Garibaldi mean?

edited December 1969

Well, finally got a render with a color map...

fox.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 721K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,352
    edited December 1969

I've finally found the time to sit down and have a serious play with this.
    I've seen some incredible results posted here.
    I'm finding it difficult to paint the base, and wondered if anyone had any tips.

My first postable attempt.

hairygoblin1.jpg
    848 x 1052 - 256K
    edited January 2013

What is needed in the next version is:

-Symmetry mode (for painting and combing)
    -Lock mode (To lock hair in place when coming other parts)
    -Gravity mode (Let the hair naturally drape downward or even sideways as if the character is laying down)
    -Regions (where you can label the different hair areas and turn them invisible while working on other parts)
    -Wind mode (to blow hair into a style)
    -One strand mode (where you can add strands in spots like a strand sticking from a mole on the face or nose hair)
    -Hairline presets (male and female hairline patterns as well as male pattern bald presets built in) (Its a pain to paint a normal hairline from scratch)
    -Hair can wrap around an object (like a hair bun or in a pony tail)

I really like this program. Its easier than using Poser's hair room. So far, so good. Quick test below.

Screen_Shot_2013-01-05_at_7.31_.49_PM_.png
    451 x 555 - 374K
    edited January 2013

Well done guys, these are awesome!

Nice sleek hairstyle Jake :)

---------------

I revisited my Buzz cut hairstyle... Largely because Cayden was converted to M5 UV's, along with all my characters that were gen4 mixed with gen5 UV's. I improved the hair growth pattern, also revised his hair distribution map. He uses two nodes now, and still renders at 10-11 mins (1500x1500px)... I lowered his Interpolation widths and spent hours on the clumping and Scraggling... I have a problem where it's giving a spotty appearance, I'm only using the 2nd clump as the 1st clump really makes it spotty and bumpy. Not sure how to correct this. I'll have to play with the Interpolation some more I think.
    ----------------
    EDIT: I think I worked it out, I think the spottiness is from the second node (Scull cap) of hair that's likely poking through the surface of the first node. The hair is so short, it's very difficult to get it right lol

GHair_Renders_Working_CaydenHR_3_S.png
    925 x 925 - 941K
    GHair_Renders_Working_CaydenHR_3_Fr_2.png
    925 x 925 - 875K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

It may not have been the affect you were going for, but I think it's very effective. It looks like the clippers slipped, or someone used scissors to hack off parts of his hair.

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    It may not have been the affect you were going for, but I think it's very effective. It looks like the clippers slipped, or someone used scissors to hack off parts of his hair.

Maybe he was foolish enough to let his brother hack away his hair lol Or he was sleeping :-P

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited January 2013

lol - sounds about right! :-D

Post edited by shaaelia on
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Well done guys, these are awesome!

I revisited my Buzz cut hairstyle... Largely because Cayden was converted to M5 UV's, along with all my characters that were gen4 mixed with gen5 UV's. I improved the hair growth pattern, also revised his hair distribution map. He uses two nodes now, and still renders at 10-11 mins (1500x1500px)... I lowered his Interpolation widths and spent hours on the clumping and Scraggling... I have a problem where it's giving a spotty appearance, I'm only using the 2nd clump as the 1st clump really makes it spotty and bumpy. Not sure how to correct this. I'll have to play with the Interpolation some more I think.

I have the same problem with the spotty-ness. The back of my rendering has a big chunk and the side where the sideburns blends into the hair has a missing chunk.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

In this case it's actually from the color, not hair irregularities it looks like. Look close, it looks like there's patches of medium blond among the dark blond.

• BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

A couple of images.

gcatandgirl1csa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 438K
    buffy10asa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 455K
    edited December 1969

I had the same thought as Gedd, but I can see why it is an issue.

Anyway, I've been playing around with this "buzz" cut thing and I wanted to share some of my findings.

First, I want to point out that the hair is nothing more than the default guide length with a 0.2 curl and 0.5 surface attract. I wasn't going for style - just short hair. All the renders have a total hair count of 300.

I used the Julie AOIBLLight and moved the distant light around to give the harshest angle. All the renders use the same pose and lighting.

The first render is a single hair node of 300. The next 2 renders use 3 hair nodes of 100 each and different seeds for each node. All 3 nodes are copies of the original 1 node with the reduced hair count for each layer and the following modifications. The layers were named top, middle and bottom.

In the second render, the top node is identical with the first render. The middle node had the extend setting set to 0.4 and the surface attract setting at 0.4. The bottom node had extend at 0.6 and surface attract at 0.8.

The third render is the same as the second with middle node root/tip set to 0.04/0.02 and the bottom node root/tip is 0.06/0.04.

As you can see, subtle differences can make for very different results. Now consider what can be done with minor changes to colour, salt and pepper, and specular settings for each layer.

Hopefully, someone will find this information useful.

Buzz3Layer1.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 196K
    Buzz3Layer.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 184K
    Buzz1Layer.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 174K
    edited December 1969

Gone personally I think the second one looks the best, the third looks a bit more like fur than hair.

Just playing around.

Punk-1.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 375K
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    I had the same thought as Gedd, but I can see why it is an issue.

Anyway, I've been playing around with this "buzz" cut thing and I wanted to share some of my findings.

First, I want to point out that the hair is nothing more than the default guide length with a 0.2 curl and 0.5 surface attract. I wasn't going for style - just short hair. All the renders have a total hair count of 300.

I used the Julie AOIBLLight and moved the distant light around to give the harshest angle. All the renders use the same pose and lighting.

The first render is a single hair node of 300. The next 2 renders use 3 hair nodes of 100 each and different seeds for each node. All 3 nodes are copies of the original 1 node with the reduced hair count for each layer and the following modifications. The layers were named top, middle and bottom.

In the second render, the top node is identical with the first render. The middle node had the extend setting set to 0.4 and the surface attract setting at 0.4. The bottom node had extend at 0.6 and surface attract at 0.8.

The third render is the same as the second with middle node root/tip set to 0.04/0.02 and the bottom node root/tip is 0.06/0.04.

As you can see, subtle differences can make for very different results. Now consider what can be done with minor changes to colour, salt and pepper, and specular settings for each layer.

Hopefully, someone will find this information useful.

Actually, if it were a few shades lighter #3 would look just like my son's current haircut...

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

Using your technique Gone, you could shrink the middle (some) and top (more) layers around certain edges like the ears, temple and nape of the neck to get a tapered look.

edited December 1969

Did some facial Hair.

The non-bald guy is the first mid length hair... I had some trouble with him, my computer kept freezing and Daz crashing on me... I started a fresh today, no crashes or freezing... I assume I did something wrong with the vert count on the longer hair that didn't agree with Daz/my pc. I intend to give him a ponytail, once I model his hair tie/wrapping, he took on average 30-35 mins to render, and count of 200 on both facial hair and head hair. I resampled his hair at 1.0 after cutting and lengthening his hair.

While my computer wasn't lagging, and the render time rather low, GH seemed somewhat less reliable than it was with short hairstyles. Due to my problems with crashing/freezing I am reluctant to give him a second head hair node.

GHair_Renders_Working_Heishiro.png
    925 x 925 - 986K
    GHair_Renders_Working_Michael_Fr_2.png
    925 x 925 - 987K
    edited December 1969

Nice beard and mustaches Spyro

its amazing what can be done with this.
    I'm not completly happy with the eybrows they look as if they've been burnt

yodaish.jpg
    1060 x 1323 - 346K
    edited December 1969

Thanks man... The eyebrows look like frizz at the ends is heavily activated. For brows, I'd work with subtle clumping with a little scraggle. If these aren't giving any affect, you may want to lower the interpolation width a bit to get enough verticies.. :) He might just be yoda's distant cousin :-P

• BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

My first attempt at a short tapered male hair.

gmalehair1c.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 439K
    gmalehair1a.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 476K
    gmalehair1.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 458K
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Thanks man... The eyebrows look like frizz at the ends is heavily activated. For brows, I'd work with subtle clumping with a little scraggle. If these aren't giving any affect, you may want to lower the interpolation width a bit to get enough verticies.. :) He might just be yoda's distant cousin :-P

Thanks for the tips will have to try that out.

I had to have a go at a mohican.

punked3.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 487K
    edited January 2013

I'm trying to finish of a pony tail hair style, and its taking hours and hours to render. I've set the hair count down to 190 and its still rendering at 2hrs for 50% (30mins it took to render the head and the hair spread over it) ... but the ponytail renders incredibly slow (1h and a half) I canceled it as it only rendered like 6 little squares in that time.

Is there a way to speed it up? Should I be using another node for the actual ponytail? Should the ponytail be far less dense? Its many times longer to render than the hair spread out on the head. And I was only rendering the outer edge of it in a angled front view of the face.

edited December 1969

What lights are you using?
    I'm finding that using anything but plain lights set at deepshadow maps is slowing renders to a crawl. I find this unfortunate especially as Deep shadow maps are a problem at the moment with the coloured artifacts they produce. I hate not being able to use uber lights unless I want the render to run overnight.

edited December 1969

I was rendering with directional lights x4 and Uber Environment. It's the exact same lighting I've been using with the renders of all my posted GH Ive posted here.

I'm trying out a theory I came up with. I just made a prop hairtie specifically made for GH use. It has a plane inside it with enough verts to paint a distribution map inside the hairtie which I'll create a GH node on for the ponytail. The hair on the head of the character is to end inside the hairtie where the next node begins. --- I'm about to test it. Theoretically, the pony tail hair will be much more controllable both posing and its density giving the ability to reduce render time without degrading the head hair node.

Fingers crossed.

edited December 1969

59 mins total at 100%. Same lighting. Same size (1500x1500px). Higher Head hair density. As it turns out, I could have doubled the Pony Tail hair density and it would still render faster than the 2hr at 50% without the hair tie and separate nodes. - I used two nodes (Amount 350 and 450) on the hair tie... It requires several nodes as there isnt enough surface space, none the less, there is a decent amount of verts for curves, to work with in styling.

KyraGaribaldi_Hairtie.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 667K
    GHair_Renders_Working_Kyra.png
    925 x 925 - 930K
This discussion has been closed.