Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Hey mods, if you'd like to pass it on- when people send PMs, the email received telling the person there's a message goes to the Account page, and NOT to the message like it normally does. 

• Novica said:

Hey mods, if you'd like to pass it on- when people send PMs, the email received telling the person there's a message goes to the Account page, and NOT to the message like it normally does. 

Worked normally for me just now. Had you just bought soemthing? That sends you to your account page for a personal link if it has to do the Logging You In bit first

edited March 2017

Nope, hadn't bought anything and had posted on this thread and put computer to sleep. Checked my emails, and link didn't work. If someone will send me a test PM we can see if I get it  from my email link. I haven't had trouble with the logging me in thing in about six or seven months, thankfully.

Post edited by Novica on

Thanks dawnblade, got it. PM is working now!

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

You're welcome! Glad it's working.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

I had an email early today to a non-existing forum post. Seems the iternet has been wonky all week.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    barbult said:

I transferred Elijah 7 to G3F with GenX. Here are Elijah and his "sister".

This looks great!  I love her slightly narrower chin.  Looks like Elijah is very pretty as a girl!  :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    RGcincy said:

I had an email early today to a non-existing forum post. Seems the iternet has been wonky all week.

That usually means that the moderators removed the post for some reason.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Gen X is a great utility. Add the ability to port poses and UVs for skin maps from Generation 3 (V4) - and you start to really build up a really flexible library of content possibilities - but Gen X and the various plug ins are kind of the foundation of leveraging that.

The problem can be figuring out which generation, Gen 1, 2 or 3 is the best destination for where you're moving things around to. Generally speaking, Gen 2 is the best hybrid/bridge generation in my experience as a destination for morphs and characters. Some of the changes to Genesis 3 makes things get wonky - and the UV solutions for it seem to rely on geographs that are expensive, and Genesis 1 has some limitations that make it less flexible overall than Genesis 2 and 3.  

What is great is when you realize you have a package of morphs, like say, the "Character Creator Kit for M4 and V4" and you can get those all working for all successive generations of Genesis.

Sometimes I buy content, and afterwards realize I had an earlier version of it for a previous generation and could have just used GenX to make it work in a later generation. Frequently there are advantages to having the newer content designed for the newer generation (iray skin maps, for example,) but there have been a couple of cases where I've ended up with redundant content that I could have just used Gen X to move around.   

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I've just picked up genx a bit ago and need to make the time to learn now to use it. As well as various other scripts and items that allow things to be moved between generations for that exact reason.  Add skin builder and the character randomizer and you don't need much else...

I've just picked up genx a bit ago and need to make the time to learn now to use it. As well as various other scripts and items that allow things to be moved between generations for that exact reason.  Add skin builder and the character randomizer and you don't need much else...

I still don't always get it right - there are dozens of tutorials... Black Sun Comics has one of the best ones on YouTube... and Childe of Frye has a good document on ShareCG that helped me quite a bit - but sometimes, I just can't get a character to transfer at all... I think dialed characters that are dependent on Morphs would require you to transfer all the base morphs first, then the dialed character... I haven't quite figured that out yet. I tried once and realized I was making my parameters tab clogged with morphs, and ones with the same name across generations were causing problems... so I panicked and haven't tried that again since. :) 

It could potentially be a dangerous tool, because you're figuring out how it works as you go - but you're working against your "production" rendering machine. It would be awesome to learn how to use it in a lab environment where mistakes wouldn't have the potential to be catastrophic to your content library. 

I will go check out the tutorials, I am sure I will need all the help I can get lol.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited April 2017

Once you figured out how it works, GenX is very easy to use. A few quick tutorials I have done in the forums:

GenX Transfer between Genesis Figures : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1043390/#Comment_1043390

GenX V4 Single Morph to Genesis2 : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1195831/#Comment_1195831

GenX V4 Full Character to Genesis2 : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1207016/#Comment_1207016

GenX G2F to G3F - Aiko6 Morph Transfer: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2188601/#Comment_2188601

GenX G2F to G3F - Dial Spun Character: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2189421/#Comment_2189421

Read the following posts in those discussions too, because we have solved some problems people have been running into.

... and there is the GenX Manual: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/18321/genx2.pdf

... and there is the new Official GenX2 Discussion: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/94881/genx2-update-genesis-3-add-on-commercial/p1

... and the tips and infos in the old GenX2 Discussion are still valid and helpful: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24079/genx2-and-genesis-2-addon-released-upgrade-ends-soon-commercial/p1

... and @Knittingmommy has also done a very good job to explain GenX: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1055146/#Comment_1055146

... and there are even more tutorials:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/82334/browse/3/Text-Entry-Tutorial/COF-GenX-Plugin-Tutorial ( click here for the Pdf-Version )

http://www.childeoffyre.com/genx-tut.html

Youtube Video: Transferring Legacy Morphs to Genesis1

Youtube Video: How to Transfer Genesis 3 Morphs to a Genesis1

Youtube Video: GenX converting V4 character to Genesis

Youtube Video: Daz Studio Drag And Drop Gen X 2 Morph Transfer

Detailed GenX Tutorial in German Language

Thanks to Kerya , SixDsJakiblue and Sal UK for the additional tutorial links!

Post edited by MN-150374 on

@MN-150374 Thanks for those links. I searched all over the forums and didn't find much mention of GenX, which surprised me. 

Makes me wonder if I'm missing a thread full of recipe sharing for Skin Builder Pro. :D 

You are welcome. I have still bookmarked those discussions. Let me know if you get some unexpected results or if you find some flaws in my descriptions.

Before I forget, there is of course the official GenX2 discussion , added the link to the list above.

Thank you very much for the links!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2017

Thank you for the links! I'd tried GenX once with no success. (You can tell I have a lot of patience...) I ended up duping a character I wanted by hand, so to speak., I'll be studying up on these myself. :) I'd really like to get this working and convert some characters.

Post edited by firewarden on
    edited March 2017

Desert Villa       Gemma (Gen3F)      Hinata Dress    Vintage Hinata     Free Spirit Hair (Gen3F)    Vogue Poses for Eva 7      Pumps 3  (Gen3F) 

A couple observations- Gemma has adorable dimples, the Pumps 3 has GREAT material zones and you really should consider these- and they also come with hose (optional.) I wish the tops of the hose were higher, had trouble extending the Hinata Dress, but managed to do it. 

The Desert Villa is highly detailed. (No surprise. This vendor is very good at that.) Here's answering a question before you ask- it renders fast. It only took 13 minutes with the set FULLY LOADED and 1100 pixels.

desertvillaGemma.png
    845 x 1100 - 2M
    desertvilla2.png
    845 x 1100 - 2M
    desertvilla3.png
    845 x 1100 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on

I put a link in the second post of this thread under References, Tutorials, for GenX.

edited March 2017

Here's some different lighting on Gemma. (Pro Studio HDR which is my number one pick on lighting portraits)  She's a cutie! Wearing Lani Hair this time.

gemma.png
    845 x 1100 - 1M
    gemma2.png
    845 x 1100 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Just started playing around with the Big Bill truck today, with Will's WTP shaders and the Nobiax shaders and some custom Dformers. 

I'm liking the way things are turning out so far. For under $2 with the Bonus Buyer promo, it is a pretty versatile prop. 

BigBillMadMax.jpg
    1461 x 921 - 673K
    edited March 2017

Thank you for the links! I'd tried GenX once with no success. (You can tell I have a lot of patience...) I ended up duping a character I wanted by hand, so to speak., I'll be studying up on these myself. :) I'd really like to get this working and convert some characters.

You are welcome, Ice Dragon Art and Firewarden! There are a lot of options in the GenX Tab. In the beginning it is a bit confusing. But to be honest you do not need all those options all the time if you are converting regular V4/M4 and Genesis1/2/3 characters. There may be occur some problems with some extrem shapes. The Girl4 and Freak4 Shapes are sometimes a bit tricky too. But most characters and morph packages can be easily converted.

Please let me know if the tutorials worked for you or if you had some unexpected results.

edited March 2017
    Novica said:

Desert Villa       Gemma (Gen3F)      Hinata Dress    Vintage Hinata     Free Spirit Hair (Gen3F)    Vogue Poses for Eva 7      Pumps 3  (Gen3F) 

A couple observations- Gemma has adorable dimples, the Pumps 3 has GREAT material zones and you really should consider these- and they also come with hose (optional.) I wish the tops of the hose were higher, had trouble extending the Hinata Dress, but managed to do it. 

The Desert Villa is highly detailed. (No surprise. This vendor is very good at that.) Here's answering a question before you ask- it renders fast. It only took 13 minutes with the set FULLY LOADED and 1100 pixels.

Beautiful renders! The Desert Villa looks like a must have environment. It comes with Iray and 3Delight materials. Very interesting set.

Just started playing around with the Big Bill truck today, with Will's WTP shaders and the Nobiax shaders and some custom Dformers. 

I'm liking the way things are turning out so far. For under $2 with the Bonus Buyer promo, it is a pretty versatile prop. 

That looks good! And a very good deal. Thanks for sharing  smiley And thanks @MN-150374

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Did anyone take a look at the Boho Garden?   The promos look really nice.

Looks good! The Big Bill Trailer is a great add on if you don't have it already (it also now has the Iray materials).  These are very good sets for the price.

Novica said:

Nice! I was trying to resist, but maybe not.

MN-150374 said:

Once you figured out how it works, GenX is very easy to use. A few quick tutorials I have done in the forums:

Thanks for the links! I recently got the GenX products but haven't given them a try. This will be quite helpful when I do. 

Boho Garden went into my wishlist, but unless it stacks heavy, I won'the be getting it this sale.
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2017

The Boho Garden looks very nice! Haven't grabbed it yet, because I grabbed so many older RDNA things with that blowout. At .84 each, it was too tempting to resist. 

Also tempting is Redz's new guy Raj over at Rendo who's currently at half price. I've put some renders of him here in my art thread. He's awesome! 

@barbult The Elijah morphs look great on G3F. Good job!

Post edited by Llynara on

Anyone have a link to Ati's under 16000 script for the bookmark?  I've been looking for it for 2 days now.

This discussion has been closed.