Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited March 2017

Okay here are mine.

1. Robbus Goblin and Darwins Mishaps coming soon LIE Make up for G3M -  Render    Render 2  -  I can't say enough good things about DarwinsMishaps make up for the G3M guys.  super versatile, you can layer as many together as you want which expands the set exponentially.  I have it on good authority that its coming sooner now rather than later and I will update with a link as soon as it does.  The Robbus Goblin is incredibly well done.  It very much fits the classical image of a goblin and the detail is really incredible.  Anyone who does goblins should have this one in the mix.  G3M clothing fits him just fine as well.

2. Ghost Lights by Kindred ArtsRender - the only thing lighting this tavern are the candles and the Ghost Lights - The tavern comes well lit but the lights only work in 3Delight.  Another item that I can't say enough about. - The ghost lights are saving me a TON of time on lighting and are so incredibly simple to use.  This one also used the LIE Make Up from DarwinsMishaps mentioned above.   I'm saving the Fantasy Tavern as a favorite for another month lol.

3.  Legends Altar - Render this is a cool set, and the glowing glyphs come with it.

4. Sorceress for G3F - Render - Really lovely outfit, very detailed and the textures are just beautiful.

I did not render a whole lot this month, I spent a lot of time on the Carrara challenge and life in general was just busy lol.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Oh Jakiblue, that tortoise is adorable! (So is the toon.)  BTW, we don't care when they're uploaded, as long as they're done in February. And anyone who doesn't want to start a section and post in the gallery is welcome to post them here if they want to.

I love everyone's picks so far. I'm taking a second look at many of them because I own them and just haven't rendered. It's so nice having help showcasing the products, and I know the PAs appreciate it. 

@isidorn   Love Caged Fury- and I had to laugh at how you got Ducky in there. I'm glad someone pointed it out, I probably would have missed it. Well done! (This render is the one for isidorn's IDG Iray FX product choice.) 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Novica said:

@isidorn   Love Caged Fury- and I had to laugh at how you got Ducky in there. I'm glad someone pointed it out, I probably would have missed it. Well done! (This render is the one for isidorn's IDG Iray FX product choice.) 

I agree.  I thought he did an awesome job on that image!  And,  using Ducky at the end of the hammer was ingenious! :)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Thought I'd point this product out as it's in Fast Grab: Laundry Day Mega Set. I don't have it but it has over 100 props of hanging and folded clothing that look like they could be reapllied in many settings (like lying on the floor or bed, etc.). 3DL and Iray materials. 

edited March 2017

I've gotten two "timed out" notices when going to different pages for Daz, and CBS.com videos are spinning. Did a speed test and it's definitely not me (download close to 125 mbps, peak at 134,  and upload almost 20. )  Yesterday Amazon disrupted a slew of sites by deleting the wrong snippet of code for their servers. Hope something's not going on. I thought something was fishy when my Roku CBS video kept spinning, so I tried it on my computer, same thing.

Edit- my cable provider service technicians always recommended this one as the best-     http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

Post edited by Novica on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Yesterday, an engineer at Amazon accidentally took down more servers/capacity for S3 (think it was their Virginia branch) than they meant to with a simple typo. There was a cascade of failures as servers/services couldn't reach the resources they needed and failed. Plus all the restarts took longer than expected when capacity was restored. Supposedly, Amazon already put in a fix so that could not happen again. Would be interesting if that was happening again today.

edited March 2017

Yep, now look at this site! Are you guys getting this? (It's two images side by side, not one image. The second one on the right is what is at the top of my page!) 

forumWeird.jpg
    700 x 507 - 968K
    Post edited by Novica on

Very similar. Mine is in one column. The store shows as a single list of links. Oh, well. I was going to shop for a bit. Guess I will walk the dogs now and shop later, lol.

Wow, I can get back to the thread using my email, I get notices- so I came back that way. But after posting that last image and hitting Back arrow, I got sent to the overall forum page, with links all a-jumbo. Site is a mess, I wouldn't be buying anything right now that's for sure.

Oh, it's my shopping cart that's a mess of links. The store is giving me a blank page.

edited March 2017

I just got a comment that daz redirected me too many times, when I tried going to the main website (daz3d.com)  So I'm not leaving my thread anytime soon LOL and I'm stuck here. Read any good books lately?

Edit: (and how weird to have the word "EDIT" above my avatar!!!)   I don't even HAVE a link to my cart I don't think.

Post edited by Novica on

Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron. If you like intelligent urban fantasy.

The forum just ate my post. And I really need to give up and go walk my dogs. I don't want to move... I wanted to browse DAZ... :(

Okay here are mine.

1. Robbus Goblin and Darwins Mishaps coming soon LIE Make up for G3M -  Render    Render 2  -  I can't say enough good things about DarwinsMishaps make up for the G3M guys.  super versatile, you can layer as many together as you want which expands the set exponentially.  I have it on good authority that its coming sooner now rather than later and I will update with a link as soon as it does.  The Robbus Goblin is incredibly well done.  It very much fits the classical image of a goblin and the detail is really incredible.  Anyone who does goblins should have this one in the mix.  G3M clothing fits him just fine as well.

2. Ghost Lights by Kindred ArtsRender - the only thing lighting this tavern are the candles and the Ghost Lights - The tavern comes well lit but the lights only work in 3Delight.  Another item that I can't say enough about. - The ghost lights are saving me a TON of time on lighting and are so incredibly simple to use.  This one also used the LIE Make Up from DarwinsMishaps mentioned above.   I'm saving the Fantasy Tavern as a favorite for another month lol.

3.  Legends Altar - Render this is a cool set, and the glowing glyphs come with it.

4. Sorceress for G3F - Render - Really lovely outfit, very detailed and the textures are just beautiful.

I did not render a whole lot this month, I spent a lot of time on the Carrara challenge and life

Oh my gosh. Look at this outtage in the United States right now for internet!                http://downdetector.com/status/level3/map/

Hey look, it's back to normal for a minute at least. I was about to say the look reminded me of the early days of the internet when pages were just a list of text links.

RGcincy said:

Hey look, it's back to normal for a minute at least. I was about to say the look reminded me of the early days of the internet when pages were just a list of text links.

I remember that! I was a webmaster for about fifteen years, and remember all the hand coding html before CSS was developed. All those deprecated codes now, I wouldn't have a clue how to do a webpage except I'm using Dreamweaver for my book. 

Just checked, the site is back up too.

I did hand coding html too. Haven't needed to for a long time, although it's always been handy to be able to look at source code on websites once in a while. Remember all the little rotating "new" icons and garish colors people use to use? Ever so often I'll come across an old page that still looks like that.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Novica said:

I agree.  I thought he did an awesome job on that image!  And,  using Ducky at the end of the hammer was ingenious! :)

blush

Aw isidorn, you put a lot of work into that, you deserve the praise!

I have a question. Looking at some stuff at Rendo. If it is an obj and for Poser, can it be used in Daz? I know the materials may need tweaking, but doesn't that mean I can apply shaders and solve the problem?

Novica said:

Aw isidorn, you put a lot of work into that, you deserve the praise!

I have a question. Looking at some stuff at Rendo. If it is an obj and for Poser, can it be used in Daz? I know the materials may need tweaking, but doesn't that mean I can apply shaders and solve the problem?

Yeah, just import the obj into DAZ using DAZ's import option under File.  I import them all the time.  Depending on the program used to export the original, you may have to scale the object.  I've had a few import that were litterally so small I thought they didn't get imported but they were in the scene tab.  If that happens, just select it and scale up until you can see it.

And, yeah, you might have to fiddle with materials.  Hopefully, what you import will have material zones set. 

@knittingmommy  Thanks! 

Novica said:

@knittingmommy  Thanks! 

Oh, and sometimes, you might have to fix the Opacity.  A few programs and DAZ don't seem to agree about the opacity and they get imported into DS with the Opacity all the way off.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Yesterday, an engineer at Amazon accidentally took down more servers/capacity for S3 (think it was their Virginia branch) than they meant to with a simple typo. There was a cascade of failures as servers/services couldn't reach the resources they needed and failed. Plus all the restarts took longer than expected when capacity was restored. Supposedly, Amazon already put in a fix so that could not happen again. Would be interesting if that was happening again today.

LOL, being in IT sucks sometimes. The smallest mistake can create the biggest disasters!

@Novica I remember those days too. Been doing websites since the internet was very young, and WOW have things changed. I retired from it and came back to it a few years ago. The learning curve has been a bear, but I'm getting there. Give me a notepad and raw html any day! 

And yes, most Poser stuff works just fine in DAZ, just have to tweak the shaders. The exception is the dynamic clothing created for Poser. I have no idea if there are any workarounds for those. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

I transferred Elijah 7 to G3F with GenX. Here are Elijah and his "sister".

No workarounds for the dynamic clothing sadly.  Just that lovely draping script from that other site that I am saving my pennies for.

Wow they definitely look like sibling, I think that worked very well!

@barbult- Very nice! And I like the lighting, very casual and extremely natural looking. 

barbult said:

I transferred Elijah 7 to G3F with GenX. Here are Elijah and his "sister".

Looks great! that works really well 

This discussion has been closed.