Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited January 2013

If anyone wants some inspiration, check out this hair styles site. http://www.hairfinder.com/hair_imaging.htm It is interactive and you can set some nice options.

Nevermind they want to charge for full access. :(

Post edited by Wiccan1 on
    edited December 1969

I did this using v11. It is my second hair test. It is a single node. I was going for a shorter gypsy look. I created it in sections, but in a single session. I am getting better with the comb, I think. I did nothing with texture, just toned down the default.

Click for larger.

Short_Hair_1.jpg
    1300 x 1500 - 761K
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Jumping for joy.

JoyJump.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 423K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Another hairstyle, thought I'd give an older business class gentleman a go. It was rather interesting balancing hair colour with grey. I used a lot more salt and pepper than I have in previous works. Also re-worked my custom base male hair density texture to include hair recede and lowered the usual hair count to accommodate it.

GHair_Renders_Working_Issacs.jpg
    925 x 925 - 507K
    edited January 2013

Wiccan1 said:
    I did this using v11. It is my second hair test. It is a single node. I was going for a shorter gypsy look. I created it in sections, but in a single session. I am getting better with the comb, I think. I did nothing with texture, just toned down the default.

Click for larger.

Lookin good, she got a Natalie Portman look about her :) Colourings fun to do, just lots of rendering to get it right. Well done :)

And nice work Gone, the hair flows very nicely with the motion in your render :cheese:

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • 76Claudia220576Claudia2205 Posts: 40
    edited January 2013

Will there be a PC version in the future? And will this become available for Poser as well?
    Looks really amazing.

Post edited by 76Claudia2205 on
    edited December 1969

Will there be a PC version in the future? And will this become available for Poser as well?
    Looks really amazing.

If by PC you mean Windows then it already works with both Windows and Mac.

As for Poser, that would be no. This system is exploiting a feature of the Renderman render engine that DS uses. Poser does not use the Renderman engine - but it does have a hair room for making hair.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:

And nice work Gone, the hair flows very nicely with the motion in your render :cheese:

Thanks but your hair is really starting to show off this product beautifully.

I may have to go away and sulk for a while. >:-(

edited December 1969

Thanks Spyro, I appreciate the comment! :)

Now if you could point out where to find the answer on how to use textures, and where to find a UV map to color your own... ? All in a nice easy to understand post???? Pretty please?

*crosses fingers* (which does make it hard to type!)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

Wow! This plugin is great. I have already successfully given millenium cat some hair. I love this- so easy even I.... A complete noob can use it. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Well done Serene :) Make sure you post some pics as you create, we'd love to see your works :cheese:

@Gone - Lets not forget you were one of the guys that helped me make progress with short hair, and your stuff looks excellent man! and thanks for your kind words :)

@Wiccan -
    I have not yet used colour maps, but I intend to soon.

I've been using the hair colour in Distribute tab, the base hair is 'slightly' darker than the tip. Salt and pepper I generally set minimum to Zero and maximum to 100-200, depending on what effect im after.

In DS, with the hair selected, I go into the surfaces tab and add colour and darken the RColour (Primary Specular) and TRT Colour (Secondary Specular), this assists the hair colour and corrects the grey appearance of the hair that occurs with darker Garibaldi hair. You can also reduce the Specular strength 'TRT Intensity' and 'R Intensity'.

By the looks of peoples work that uses colour maps, I'm assuming it's the figures Diffuse texture bieng used. MangeyD has been using that feature notably on the recent tiger. I think the Dif texture may need to be resized to 1024x1024 pixels and saved as a PNG so that it works with Garibaldi possibly. Mangey will be able to explain I'm sure :)

• YannekYannek Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

I can't believe I haven't heard of this plug-in before. Played a bit with it and I think it's very good. Stable and easy to use. Finally a great solution for realistic hair in Daz Studio. Can't wait to grab the final version (if I can afford it at all).

PS Does anybody know how to create fluff layer?

GB_test_01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 586K
    edited January 2013

Spyro said:
    Well done Serene :) Make sure you post some pics as you create, we'd love to see your works :cheese:

@Gone - Lets not forget you were one of the guys that helped me make progress with short hair, and your stuff looks excellent man! and thanks for your kind words :)

@Wiccan -
    I have not yet used colour maps, but I intend to soon.

I've been using the hair colour in Distribute tab, the base hair is 'slightly' darker than the tip. Salt and pepper I generally set minimum to Zero and maximum to 100-200, depending on what effect im after.

In DS, with the hair selected, I go into the surfaces tab and add colour and darken the RColour (Primary Specular) and TRT Colour (Secondary Specular), this assists the hair colour and corrects the grey appearance of the hair that occurs with darker Garibaldi hair. You can also reduce the Specular strength 'TRT Intensity' and 'R Intensity'.

By the looks of peoples work that uses colour maps, I'm assuming it's the figures Diffuse texture bieng used. MangeyD has been using that feature notably on the recent tiger. I think the Dif texture may need to be resized to 1024x1024 pixels and saved as a PNG so that it works with Garibaldi possibly. Mangey will be able to explain I'm sure :)

Bless you, I appreciate the info!

Maybe MangeyDesigner will type up a cheat sheet for us? :)

Post edited by Wiccan1 on
    edited December 1969

That would be pretty good I agree :)

@Yannek - Well done man, that looks really good, nice use of the clumping. - By fluff, are you talking about Frizz? Scraggle can also fluff it up. Frizz and Scraggle are in the tweak tab.

edited January 2013

@Spyro - Thanks!

By fluff layer I mean the secondary Garibaldi hair object with the same styling, hair density map etc. so I could use different hair root and tip radius, clumping, tweaks etc. like in the sample scenes form the developer.

EDIT - Ok, I managed to add another layer of hair with the same styling by saving the scene, merging it, deleting unwanted elements and reparenting the merged hair to the original figure.

Przechwytywanie000.JPG
    228 x 198 - 17K
    Post edited by Yannek on
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

-Yannek- said:
    @Spyro - Thanks!

By fluff layer I mean the secondary Garibaldi hair object with the same styling, hair density map etc. so I could use different hair root and tip radius, clumping, tweaks etc. like in the sample scenes form the developer.

EDIT - Ok, I managed to add another layer of hair with the same styling by saving the scene, merging it, deleting unwanted elements and reparenting the merged hair to the original figure.

Just create a second GH hair node and use different settings for it.

Some Texture map instructions.... this is how I do it anyway :)

I will describe how to do a head/face texture for a Genesis character and you just do the same for all the rest of the body for an all over texture.

First you take both the head and torso texture maps for your character and save a copy of them at 1024x1024

In DS you create a Garibaldi hair node and go into EDIT

You select both the head and face surfaces in the setup tab. These are called 1_SkinFace & 2_SkinHead.
    (If you are using Milcat or some other mesh note the names of the surfaces you select in GH as these surface names will need to be used for the texture maps.)

You need to create a folder for your Garibaldi maps and then rename the 1024x1024 textures you saved earlier to match the GH surfaces. You rename the face texture as 1_SkinFace and the torso texture as 2_SkinHead (These have to be PNGs!)

In the Garibaldi Paint tab you then need to paint the whole mesh white so that the hair goes all over it... you can set the colour to black and essentially erase the white from around the mouth and eyes and nostrils etc by painting over them in black... and anywhere else you don't want hair do this....

If you use a shade of grey it will apply a little bit of hair and white all of the hair and black will do no hair.... essentially the same as a trans map. Be sure to rotate the mesh around to paint all over it.... this is especially important for an all over texture as you will miss bits if you are not careful and I find for all over textures it is best to do this in the TPose. (I prefer the TPose for all over textures so I can easily paint the palms and soles of the feet black so they don't get hair all over them!)

Then you need to import the renamed 1024x1024 texture files as Colour maps into Garibaldi.
    To do this you select IMPORT from the Paint tab and then navigate to the folder that the new texture maps are in and select the FOLDER.
    A dialogue shows and it has the folder name and below that it will say GREY which is the default and it will import your files as a surface area mask and not a colour map. You need to click on the word GREY and a drop down will show and you select COLOUR which will then import these maps as colour maps for the hair.

Then in the Distribute tab in the Colour section you need to select these maps from the two texture drop downs.

If you are doing an entire body you will have multple copies of the same 1024x1024 texture file with different names. The names will match the mesh parts you select in the Garibaldi setup tab.

I hope this makes sense and feel free to ask questions if I haven't explained it well enough.

good luck and have fun
    :)

Here is a render I did using the Wyld cat texture on genesis

WyldJag01.jpg
    1329 x 1866 - 467K
  • HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I installed this some hours ago and did this hair and beard on Genesis. It was fun.

SOTO_Discontinued_DAZ.jpg
    642 x 800 - 233K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

looking sweet guys :-)

edited December 1969

@MangeyDesigner

Well if I create a haircut (detailed and complicated) I don't want to have a random halo around the hair. That is why I need the same styling to change the amount and settings of the hair.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

-Yannek- said:
    @MangeyDesigner

Well if I create a haircut (detailed and complicated) I don't want to have a random halo around the hair. That is why I need the same styling to change the amount and settings of the hair.

Save the first hair node out... there are several ways to do this but for what you want you can just do it as a scene subset and then merge it into the scene as another hair node and subtly change the settings to give you fuzz that follows the original hair node.

edited December 1969

@MangeyDesigner

Save the first hair node out... there are several ways to do this but for what you want you can just do it as a scene subset and then merge it into the scene as another hair node and subtly change the settings to give you fuzz that follows the original hair node.

Thanks, that way works too ;)

edited December 1969

Something simple - and my first Justin! :-)

Justin.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 627K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Dammit...Soto, I was playing with Vincent...and was 2.5 hrs into a render with this hair, when I closed DS...accidentally. I'll restart the render...but he was looking good with this hair.

Gone...in that pic, he looks a bit like a younger Elijah Wood...I think it's the expression that does it...

• HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Dammit...Soto, I was playing with Vincent...and was 2.5 hrs into a render with this hair, when I closed DS...accidentally. I'll restart the render...but he was looking good with this hair.

Sorry to hear about that! But thats a nice idea! I should try it one of this days!
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    mjc1016 said:

Sorry to hear about that! But thats a nice idea! I should try it one of this days!

Here's a WIP render...I evidently forgot to save after adding the 4th hair node...and getting the lighting and pose. This is the last save I did, just after the third hair node...

vincentwip.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 536K
    edited January 2013

How can I get very short hair to go all scraggly and curly? I'm working on facial hair... A thick mustache to be precise. I am finding the results are almost dead straight despite my efforts to mess and curl it up. What is re-sampling curves doing? It was a tip for short hair, but I dont understand what it does and what values I should be using.

EDIT: Worked it out... Needed to lower the Interpolation widths.

I'd still be interested in learning about the re-sampling though :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

Just curious... I've been enjoying my playtime with this plugin. Question: Is it possible to make sort of a skullcap with defined hairline and then add hair to it? This way you don't have to redraw the hairline perfectly...

edited December 1969

Just curious... I've been enjoying my playtime with this plugin. Question: Is it possible to make sort of a skullcap with defined hairline and then add hair to it? This way you don't have to redraw the hairline perfectly...

You could, it would assist short hairstyles, since Genesis back of the head has limited verts, ergo we have limited curves to play with.

I currently import an exported distribution texture, a generic male one which is complete, then alter it to individualize it to the character I'm working on. Eg, recede the hairline, alter its edge etc. I did all the hard work painting the generic one, so I only need to modify it instead of completely re make it.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:

You could, it would assist short hairstyles, since Genesis back of the head has limited verts, ergo we have limited curves to play with.

I currently import an exported distribution texture, a generic male one which is complete, then alter it to individualize it to the character I'm working on. Eg, recede the hairline, alter its edge etc. I did all the hard work painting the generic one, so I only need to modify it instead of completely re make it.

If I'm understanding the question correctly, what you want to do is use 2 hair nodes - one for a skullcap and one for the hair. This is what I did with the kid above.

Like Spyro, I have a generic density map that I import and customize as necessary. With the kid, both nodes use the same map. With the skullcap node, the hair is just long enough to overlap when it is combed flat. The second node has the hair you see - but since I have a skullcap under it, I can set the density fairly low and use clumping aggressively without making the kid look like he is going bald.

edited January 2013

What scull cap are you using? other than the military style blond haircut I did, I've only used one garibaldi hair. The blond used top hair and back/sides. I've also only worked on genesis, I have no Genesis scull cap... Only ones I have are M4, and they dont fit well on genesis.

Also - Thanks very much MangeeD! I'll be using colour maps in my coming project :cheese:

This discussion has been closed.