800 x 800 - 150K
    Container5b.jpg
    800 x 800 - 292K
    Container5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 423K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited January 2017

So I picked up Substance Painter and Designer via their rent-to-own subscription plan..All I can say is wow...

The possibiities are amazing.  I'm still messing around with it, but here's the container with a dirt generator added (the workflow has you baking textures off of the mesh to create normal, ambient occlusion, and curvature maps, which then get used in the procedural generators.  For example, Painter created an AO map from the mesh, which then got used to determine where dirt would accumulate)

Weathered Container.jpg
    800 x 800 - 228K
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I really love the canvases tutorials. Thank you, Jack! :D

• You're very welcome!  I hope it helps!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Updated with textures.

Shipping Container 2.0 is looking good. Can't wait to see your Well Car.

• I love what you did with Shipping Container 2.0!  Looks great!  I loved seeing Tabasco Transport on the container! :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Looks really great!

edited February 2017

So I took a break from modeling my train car to play some more with Substance Painter.  I took a piece out of my G2F wardrobe to see what I could do with it in terms of retexturing.  The cloth was filled with a silk texture.  I then added a layer of gold using a particle brush that generates circuit board like patterns.  Followed that up with a layer using a dirt generator.  

The metal pieces of the outfit are the basic metals, with a noise generated bump layer and then the dirt layer.  Same with the staff (other then the glowing jewel, which is pure iray)

Put the resultant texture maps into Iray and made a render.....of course, by the time I got done, the render doesn't necessarily highlight the textures anymore, but whatever......  I'll post a closeup of them in a few.

But for now...

Beka_Fantasia.jpg
    800 x 1294 - 400K
  • And here's my current state on the wellcar.  Need to redo the mesh floorplates, add couplers and then fine detail.

• Looks like it's coming right along!  :)

Very nice job on the texturing!  And wow the model is quite impressive!

edited February 2017

Still taking a break from modeling and experimenting with Substance Painter.

Took an old PC+ standby - GIS Sigma.  Retextured it, adding some dirt, etc.  It has a holo projector at its core, so I then decided I needed a hologram.  Again, back to SP and painted some arcane symbols on a sphere.  Used that as an emission mask and set refraction weight to 1.  Then decided that if I had a hologram sphere, I needed someone to interact with it.

Rendered with canvases, adjusted light levels and colors.  Added some effects, and then finally brought in a NIK filter on the JPG at the end.

Beka-SigmaPS.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 855K
  • That looks good.  Substance Painter and Designer are a couple of things on my wishlist to get.  I used the trial versions and definitely like them.  It's just a matter of saving up for it. I love seeing what folks are doing with it for DS for now, though. Nice work! :)

•  

That looks good.  Substance Painter and Designer are a couple of things on my wishlist to get.  I used the trial versions and definitely like them.  It's just a matter of saving up for it. I love seeing what folks are doing with it for DS for now, though. Nice work! :)

I went with their rent-to-own plan.  $20/month subscription, but the fees accrue toward a perpetual license.  Also includes 30 downloadable substance files / month.

• I generally don't like subscription plans, but I'll look into that and see what the terms are.  Thanks.

The sphere looks awesome.  I didn't know they had a monthly plan.  Will have to look into that once spring hits and work picks up for my husband.  Cause I know I can't afford it outright lol. Not really a fan of monthly either although I did break down and do photoshop cc. Sounds like this is more rent to own than just rent....

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

GIS Sigma looks very nice- love the lighting!

• I think I'm done modeling the wellcar.  Now to UV map and texture.

And with Elisse (G3F) for scale

• Wow, the underlying structure looks great.  Looking forward to seeing what type of textures you put on it.

Wow looks fantastic!

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Very cool, it blows my mind that people can just make these things, it's so complicatedly technical for me. 

Thanks!    Working on other components as well.  

I saw this over on the Carrara threads, looks amazing!

edited March 2017

I purchased "Wear Them All" for Genesis 3 a while back, but hadn't played with it.   I decided to find a old V4 outfit and see how it looked.   I also picked up RW Butterfly Wings for G3 female today and wanted to look at it also.   I started mixing things up and came up with sort of a Steampunk Butterfly.    Which I think would be a great name for a band.   Yeah, I know, it's not really steampunk, but the texture set for the outfit had kind of a steampunkish vibe, so I'm running with it.

Steampunk Butterfly

Steampunk Butterfly.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 524K
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

She looks fabulous! 

Love it! 
    Definitely get a steampunk vibe from this

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Absolutely lovely!  Love the kind of Steampunkish look.  :)

Thanks everyone!   I was particulary happy with how well the wings lit up when hit with a light from behind.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I've never been able to figure out what SteamPunk is... that's because it has many enterpretations.  One of them is...

"steam·punk"

noun: steampunk; noun: steam-punk

1. a genre of science fiction that has a historical setting and typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology.

"if you like steampunk, this is a great book for you"

2. a style of design and fashion that combines historical elements with anachronistic technological features inspired by science fiction.

"the essence of steampunk is homage to vintage fashion with a modern, sassy twist"

Very good render TJ.