TabascoJack's House of Hot Sauce and Art

Comments

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited March 2017

Here's a peek at what I've been working on the past few weeks.

Still need to clean up the textures, and fix some UV maps.

GB4.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 524K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Looks great.  Are you texturing in Blender or a third party program?

Substance Painter.   I'm really liking how it works.

Substance Painter.   I'm really liking how it works.

Yeah, I vaguely remember you mentioning that before, I think.  I've been looking at that, too.  I have to make more models before I decide to get it though.

I will not apply array mods before creating seams.

I will not apply array mods before creating seams

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

uh oh..... that doesn't sound good.

I will not apply array mods before creating seams

Okay, I take it someone was a bad boy today.  ;)  I haven't gotten to array mods yet.  I'll have to try to remember this sage piece of advice once I get there.  :)

It's the rail switch track I posted a while back.   I didn't UV map it at the time, and now I'm going back to it.    Every single one of the bolts, and every railroad tie fastener needs to be mapped, and there are no seams defined.   It's actually faster for me to delete all the bolts and reposition them.   

It was all based off an original single railroad tie, which then had an array modifier to duplicate it out.  If I had remembered to create the seams *before* I clicked the "Apply" button, life would be a lot simpler for me now.

Lesson learned.    Well, probably not, but at least I'll try to remember it next time.

It's the rail switch track I posted a while back.   I didn't UV map it at the time, and now I'm going back to it.    Every single one of the bolts, and every railroad tie fastener needs to be mapped, and there are no seams defined.   It's actually faster for me to delete all the bolts and reposition them.   

It was all based off an original single railroad tie, which then had an array modifier to duplicate it out.  If I had remembered to create the seams *before* I clicked the "Apply" button, life would be a lot simpler for me now.

Lesson learned.    Well, probably not, but at least I'll try to remember it next time.

Ah, the joys and hazards of creating really complicated models.  :)

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

the tech talk is over my head, but the render looks fantastic and I love the rusty detail on the texture.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

+1

the tech talk is over my head, but the render looks fantastic and I love the rusty detail on the texture.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Glad you pointed this out... thanks TJ!

edited March 2017

Picked up Kindred Art's Sci-Fi Bastion a couple of weeks ago.

Knittingmommy's render gave me the inspiration to see if I could use it in Vue.

I imported it as an .obj file, converted the materials, and then dropped it into one of my space scenes,

Also decided to do a planet based render to go with it.

BastionSpace@0,75x.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 388K
    Bastion@0,75x.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 684K

Wow! Love that top one where it looks like it's floating in space! 

Oh, nice!  I like them both but I really like the top one!  You did good!  :)

Very cool!  Like them both but have to agree the top one is gorgeous!

edited April 2017

While I'm still heads down on my latest blender project, I took some time off to do some landscapes...ok, it's kind of a seascape too, but whatever.....

Exploration

World Machine->Vue->Photoshop; ship is HMS Victory.

CovePS.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 680K

Its lovely. Very serene and peaceful..

edited April 2017

And another one.  I'm really enjoying how well World Machine creates terrains.   I'm going to have to see if I can export the terrains into Daz and use Substance Painter to texture them.  For now, here's another Vue render.   As always, you can click on the attachment for the full-size image.

Snowy Mountain

SnowMountain@0,75x.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 631K

Brrrr...Bet the skiing is aweseom though

These are beautiful! I love landscapes, never been very good at them, photographically, I really struggle with my compositions in landscapes.  

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

Beautiful landscapes.  And seascapes.  Would be great if you could keep us informed if you make progress on the export/import front.

Wow! beautiful landscapes.  I'm a sucker for big sailing ships but those mountains are awesome!  :)

Thank you all for the kind comments!

And another one.  I'm really enjoying how well World Machine creates terrains.   I'm going to have to see if I can export the terrains into Daz and use Substance Painter to texture them.  For now, here's another Vue render.   As always, you can click on the attachment for the full-size image.

Very nice renders!

I just checked out their web page which states...

"Powerful and flexible, World Machine combines procedural terrain creation, simulations of nature, and interactive editing to produce realistic looking terrain quickly and easily.

You can build and export high resolution heightfields, textures, and meshes for your game or rendering software."

Sounds to me that it should work in Carrara or Bryce.  I'm thinking that "heighfields" are the same has a heighmap. Sounds promising to me.

BTW which version do you use... Standard or Professional?

wgdjohn said:

Very nice renders!

I just checked out their web page which states...

"Powerful and flexible, World Machine combines procedural terrain creation, simulations of nature, and interactive editing to produce realistic looking terrain quickly and easily.

You can build and export high resolution heightfields, textures, and meshes for your game or rendering software."

Sounds to me that it should work in Carrara or Bryce.  I'm thinking that "heighfields" are the same has a heighmap. Sounds promising to me.

BTW which version do you use... Standard or Professional?

You can absolutely export the heightmaps, which I did for Vue.  You can actually export not just the terrain map, but the output of the erosion nodes, etc.  The Snowy Mountain render uses the output of a "Snow" erosion node as an alpha mask for the snow material.  Similarly, the flow output of the erosion node can be used as a mask for rubble or sand material.

You can also export an actual mesh (.obj format).   The interesting approach is going to see if I can find a way to export the textures to go with it.

I have the standard edition.  The ability to create maps > 512x512 made that a necessity.

Thanks for the info TabasscoJack.

edited April 2017

Another Vue scene, courtesy of World Machine and Shuttlestar.   Kibraretto's spacecraft are really well done, and I recommend them highly.

Homecoming

WorldMachine -> Vue2016 -> Photoshop

HomecomingPS.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 487K

Really like this, the line of site from the spaceship to the port are excellent and draw the eye nicely.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Wow, that's really nice, Jack.  I agree about Kibraretto's spacecraft - I own the Vanguard and love it. 

I have too much I need and want to learn so I won't be investigating Vue, but I have to admit, your renders are beautiful and realistic.