Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Beautiful Lion! Looking really good :) I'm going to have to give texture coloured GH a go soon, it looks like it works quite nicely.

I think I worked out why trans-mapped hair models cant use GH... I think it might have to do with the fact that they use overlapping UV's for each hair plane so it uses the same texture repeatedly throughout the hairstyle, which is likely why it throws GH into a fit. Animal and figures don't overlap UV's. Just a theory.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comment. I redid the lion with a darker mane and better tail tuft if anyone wants to see.

I think you may be correct about the overlapping maps. I seem to recall something mentioned about that. In any case, earlier today, I tried to paint on a hair prop just for fun. Painting the skull cap was no problem but any of the other layers was spotty at best.

edited December 1969

Of course we'd like to see, Gone :)

Here are some hair styles I've been working on. I re-made Spyro's hair, and worked out more of the shader and Salt/Pepper, at first his hair seemed too frizzy... but once I played more with clumping things got improved.

I'm not sure, but I suspect My male hair distribution map is possibly too low at the forehead hairline... The sides I'm happy with, but renders from the front of the hairstyles makes the face appear too high, the the top of the head seemingly flattened... I'm not sure if it's just the camera work. I'll attach some front shots in next post.

Render time has been pretty good, at 2000x2000 px it's averaging at 20-25min... at 250x250 px average was 8-10mins (Seems larger renders are better off)

GHair_Renders_Working_Spyv2-4Avy.png
    925 x 925 - 927K
    GHair_Renders_Working_By04_1.png
    925 x 925 - 930K
    GHair_Renders_Working_By02_1.png
    925 x 925 - 947K
    edited December 1969

As mentioned above... some fronts.

GHair_Renders_Working_By02_2.png
    925 x 925 - 915K
    GHair_Renders_Working_Spyv2-4P3.png
    925 x 925 - 916K
    GHair_Renders_Working_Spyv2-4A.png
    925 x 925 - 924K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Very nice Spyro. WOW!

• BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

Gone 's lion render inspired me.

gmillcat1asa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 475K
  • BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

These are all looking wonderful. I posted last night to say I could not see any images, but my post seems to have disappeared and the images are all now showing :)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    As mentioned above... some fronts.

Nice hairstyles :)

I hope the braid works out, I haven't had time to play with the concept yet myself. (Holidays and all.)

edited January 2013

No luck with the braid unfortunately... Unless I make a whole new prop of my own and UV map it properly without overlapping. The annoyance will be the rigging, out of curiosity, I cut the braid from the hair figure (It belonged to) found that it lost it's UV, Bones/rigging, it was not wielded at all, it's so many parts... I saved it as a prop, and attempted to weight map it... Which due to it not being wielded it made a total mess of it. So I'm gonna have to make a total new braid figure before I can make it happen.

If I do it right... and am successful, I'll be able to make a GH intended prop, so it will be made specifically for hair to be applied to it. Then the braid prop will either be set invisible or will be set to the base hair colour to blend in with the applied hair.

- I still have no real idea of how I will make a braid prop as ONE model, not in pieces, like braids bought on the market. It's not like it's a simple plat with three tubes. (Weight mapping will rip it apart btw)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

BrumitD said:
    Gone 's lion render inspired me.

Beautiful Cat! I love it :)

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Love the cat and Spyro your hair is awesome!!

... and Gone the lion is way cool.

I have been bogged down with my own lion.

I have done one but I am just not happy with it... and there are bald patches in the skin that I can't get out and I don't know why they are there!!

Here is a look at where I got too with the lion.

Two GH nodes, one is of the skin and has all over hair along with cheek, chin and ear fur. The other node is also for the skin but it just has the mane.... I figured that even though it was on the skin as well it would be easier to get the right look separating the mane out... but as you can see it is hard work getting it to look right.

GHLion05.jpg
    1862 x 1316 - 404K
    edited December 1969

All the renders just keep getting better and better!

BrumitD - nice cat but are you sure you want him playing with the big cats? :lol:

MangyDesigner - your lion is a real king -- much better groomed than mine.

I ended up using 4 hair nodes. One for the body, a seperate one for the head/chin/ear tufts (just because), one for the mane/cheeks, and one for the tail tuft.

It's hard to tell but did you comb the body hair or is it just short hair straight up? That might account for the bald spots.

I made the body hair just long enough to overlap, then between combing and the surface attract tool flattened the hair to the body and checked to make sure it was all pointed in the right direction. Then with the curl tool and surface attract pulled the hair up so it was just slightly off the surface with a bit of curl to break up the straight lines.

Increasing the pepper setting can help to make the mane darker if that is what you want.

Here is my last pass at the lion - no post work.

Lion2.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 264K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited January 2013

These are beautiful - hope to get time to play some with the latest beta.

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
    edited December 1969

By way of commentary:

I created this hair on a default, untextured Genesis in the "T" position and saved it out as a prop when I was finished.

Loaded a new scene with this character and loaded in the hair prop. Used the comb to adjust the hair at the shoulders to the character and pose and then rendered.

So for those still wondering -- yes, the hair can be saved as a prop and reused on different characters. In this case, as long as the character is built off Genesis.

LongHair.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 228K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

THAT'S what I've been waiting to hear. GOOD. Thanks Gone!

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Hi, I have been out for a bit and am now just posting this, done in the Beta 6. I really like the ability it provides to express movement. This was inspired by the hurricanes earlier in the year.

I have downloaded and am just beginning to play with Beta 11. :)

Click for larger. Thanks!

hurricanehair.jpg
    1300 x 1500 - 187K
    edited December 1969

Love the movement in that hair Ms Wiccan :D

Here is an old scene of mine where I have reworked the tiger using GH :)

GHTiger03c.jpg
    1469 x 1900 - 335K
    edited December 1969

WOW, Just WOW, Beautiful tiger man!

@Wiccan - Love your storm render, flows very nicely :)

------------------

Is anyone finding problems when using selection tool with Mask by surfaces unchecked? sometimes it works and other times it freezes GH and Daz... Occasional crash, but mostly freezes. I have no crash report as it mostly just freezes, and dont allow me to save a log. I'm thinking this is a bug.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well, after several weeks now of pretty much flawless operation, I have stumbled on to a problem and I'm not even sure where to begin trying to figure out what is going on.

It seems that I can't actually import texture maps. The everything seems to work, but no map ever shows, and if I go to render, I end up crashing. I can paint a color map and use it, but importing results in nothing. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to paint a color map and export it, then save the entire scene, substituting the texture map for the painted one...I'm in the process of trying that now.

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Love the movement in that hair Ms Wiccan :D

Here is an old scene of mine where I have reworked the tiger using GH :)

I was never a huge fan of the big cats in DS, but that Tioger is gorgeous, and your earlier Lion was great. Makes me want to run and install mine. :)

Los of good stuff in this thread - well done everyone!

edited December 1969

Still working with short hair styles...

This one is built up with two parts... the Top and Sides/Back. My first attempt at this failed, but this attempt proved effective. I also wanted to give blond hair a go.

GHair_Renders_Working_By01_1.jpg
    925 x 925 - 522K
    edited December 1969

definitely loving those short male styles Spyro!

...and I am pleased to see that we are showcasing not only great human hair but great animals as well with all these really cool cats of all sizes..... GH sure does it all!

here is my tiger in a big closeup.

GHTiger05c.jpg
    1469 x 1990 - 524K
    edited December 1969

does anybody have any ideas why I can't paint on to the Monkey Business monkey figure?

I can paint on to the head fur and tail fur but not the body fur... not sure why but I am guessing there is something odd about his geometry.... hopefully it is just something I am doing though :)

edited December 1969

does anybody have any ideas why I can't paint on to the Monkey Business monkey figure?

I can paint on to the head fur and tail fur but not the body fur... not sure why but I am guessing there is something odd about his geometry.... hopefully it is just something I am doing though :)

The problem is more likely with the UV map.

Take a look at the texture map and see how it is laid out. If the body UV is cut oddly then it won't paint properly. A lot of older models, for example, have the body map cut oddly or even have the texture for one side only and flip it for the other side. These types of maps won't paint properly and some will even crash DS when you try.

It could also be overlapping like the problem Spyro had with the braid.

edited January 2013

Stunning render Mangey! That tiger is fantastic, love the expression and framing :)

I also agree with Gone. Garibaldi dont like any form of symetry (One sided and mirrored UV) and UV Overlapping.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited January 2013

Yes, very nice Mangey, also.. nice wind swept look wiccan :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited January 2013

Gone said:

The problem is more likely with the UV map.

Take a look at the texture map and see how it is laid out. If the body UV is cut oddly then it won't paint properly. A lot of older models, for example, have the body map cut oddly or even have the texture for one side only and flip it for the other side. These types of maps won't paint properly and some will even crash DS when you try.

It could also be overlapping like the problem Spyro had with the braid.

Yeah, the one sided UV's don't work...well, they do in a way...they'll paint the other half on the 'inside', sometimes.............................hmmm, gives me an idea.

Yes, my idea panned out...

Not only is it an issue of one-sided UV maps, it's an issue of flipped normals.

This is the old Buck model...an ancient Zygote critter (was a freebie on Content Paradise a couple of summers ago when they gave away most of those old critters). It would only accept about half for painting...until I took it into Blender and redid the normals...still need to fix the one ear (it's inside out, as far as Garibaldi is concerned).

I didn't bother to style it or anything...just slapped some hair on it and rendered, so of course it isn't pretty...

A lot of those older models will need to be remapped to work with this (probably LAMH, too) and probably some of the more advanced shaders, too.

(It's not letting me attach the image...I'll post it later).

Working now.

buck.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 232K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

thanks for all the advice about the UVs. The monkey is a new figure but I will check out its UV mapping later today if I get a chance.

edited December 1969

Any UV problem can cause things like displacement, tiling and obviously this plugin not to work.

Since the monkey is a new item, there's a chance that the UV mapping is 'modern' but broken. The older 'one sided' and stacked formats aren't used much these days, thankfully.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited January 2013

I checked the templates seems to be just fine .. it may be the GH that does not support this figure

Post edited by MEC4D on
This discussion has been closed.