Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Speaking of re-installing new versions of betas every couple of weeks, does this corrupt/make un-usable our existing saved hairstyles?

So every beta version of Garibaldi Express that has been released can load all scenes made in previous Garibaldi versions.
    But scenes made with newer versions are not guaranteed to work with older versions.
    So for example a beta 10 .duf files can be loaded in beta 11, but a beta 11 .duf can't be loaded in beta 10.

Moving forward version 1.0 of Garibaldi will support loading any file created with the beta/RC versions of Garibaldi.

What I'm currently going to refer to as 1.1 may drop support for the very early beta version created scenes as they are requiring quite a lot of now legacy code to load.

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

This is a long thread and maybe this has been answered before but I tried to render my Garibaldi hair with Luxrender Reality and it won't show up.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Speaking of re-installing new versions of betas every couple of weeks, does this corrupt/make un-usable our existing saved hairstyles?

So every beta version of Garibaldi Express that has been released can load all scenes made in previous Garibaldi versions.
    But scenes made with newer versions are not guaranteed to work with older versions.
    So for example a beta 10 .duf files can be loaded in beta 11, but a beta 11 .duf can't be loaded in beta 10.

Moving forward version 1.0 of Garibaldi will support loading any file created with the beta/RC versions of Garibaldi.

What I'm currently going to refer to as 1.1 may drop support for the very early beta version created scenes as they are requiring quite a lot of now legacy code to load.

Would there be any way to open those older created scenes in a newer release of GH and save them out so they were essentially comverted to the newer code as I liked some of my early attempts.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    This is a long thread and maybe this has been answered before but I tried to render my Garibaldi hair with Luxrender Reality and it won't show up.

The hair curves created by GH can't be rendered by Lux. Someone else will probably respond and give you more detail on this I suspect.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:

Not going to happen...there is no geometry created by the plugin. So there is nothing for Lux to render.

Both hair plugins are relying on a feature of 3Delight, RiCurves. The curves are used to tell 3Delight about the hair strands, it then 'creates' the needed 'geometry' on the fly, at render time. Lux doesn't understand RiCurves, so it can't render them.

edited December 1969

Can someone help me.

I am trying to play with the Mil Big Cat and I can't use any of its textures as maps in GH.

I have tried this with the lion and the tiger and I get the same results.

Please have a look at the screenshot to see what happens when I import the lion texture within GH (the tiger texture is exactly the same result)

any thoughts on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

LionScreenshot.jpg
    1465 x 1045 - 86K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    SimonWM said:

Not going to happen...there is no geometry created by the plugin. So there is nothing for Lux to render.

Both hair plugins are relying on a feature of 3Delight, RiCurves. The curves are used to tell 3Delight about the hair strands, it then 'creates' the needed 'geometry' on the fly, at render time. Lux doesn't understand RiCurves, so it can't render them. In LAMH you can save out as a OBJ then use it in a LUX render, the Prob is the Size of the saved file.

edited December 1969

I am trying to play with the Mil Big Cat and I can't use any of its textures as maps in GH.

If you're using Garibaldi before beta 11 you may need to vertically flip the texture.
    Make sure the UV sets you want to use in Garibaldi are set correctly in the characters Material before you create the Garibaldi Node.
    edited December 1969

If you're using Garibaldi before beta 11 you may need to vertically flip the texture.
    Make sure the UV sets you want to use in Garibaldi are set correctly in the characters Material before you create the Garibaldi Node.

I am only using Beta 10 but flipping the texture vertically fixed it for me.

Does this mean all textures you want to use with GH will need to be flipped vertically or is this a bug... oh and thanks heaps for the help as I want to create a great looking animal to show how well GH can do it :D

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    In LAMH you can save out as a OBJ then use it in a LUX render, the Prob is the Size of the saved file.

Yeah....somewhere between 'massive' and 'gargantuan'...

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    I had tried FB's save method and could never get it to save a wearable asset.

I've been told that there a bug in Daz 4.5.1.6 "...where the node properties were not writing correctly on wearable(s)." and you need to use the newer version of Daz such as the current beta.

Make sure the prop is parented inside the character node in your scene and the "Parent Geometry" parameter on the Garibaldi node is set to your character. Select the character and the Garibaldi node then select 'Wearable Preset' from the save as menu.

edited December 1969

Does this mean all textures you want to use with GH will need to be flipped vertically or is this a bug...
    It's a bug (kind of) in Garibaldi previous to beta 11. Some 3D packages expect the UVs flipped the other way, Garibaldi Express now comforms to the Daz way.
    You probaly want to update to beta 11 soon anyway as beta 10 is set to expire tommorow...
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Does this mean all textures you want to use with GH will need to be flipped vertically or is this a bug...
    It's a bug (kind of) in Garibaldi previous to beta 11. Some 3D packages expect the UVs flipped the other way, Garibaldi Express now comforms to the Daz way.
    You probaly want to update to beta 11 soon anyway as beta 10 is set to expire tommorow...

I tried looking for the poof date and could not find it's location. Where do you find the expiration date for the beta's?

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    In any case, is there a specific/preferred method for reporting?

Just send me email with the crash log attached, a brief description of what you did that caused the crash and/or any other background info would be great too.

Even if you think I might know about the issue it helpful if you could send me any crash report you get concerning garibaldi... More information makes tracking down and fixing these things a lot quicker and easier.

I've almost cleared the current backlog of issues I have been sent, so if you're having an issue it's likely I don't know about it...

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    I tried looking for the poof date and could not find it's location. Where do you find the expiration date for the beta's?

If you select the "About Installed Plugins..." item in the Help menu of daz when select the Garibaldi Hair System plugin from the list it should tell you in the Information panel in the window.
    edited December 2012

Duplicated post...

Post edited by futurebiscuit on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

If you select the "About Installed Plugins..." item in the Help menu of daz when select the Garibaldi Hair System plugin from the list it should tell you in the Information panel in the window.

Ahh thank you. I have another question. I am not getting the beta updates. Last time I just reregistered and it came right away. This time I registered and I did not get the e-mail. I am wondering if I do not qualify for beta testing anymore.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    mjc1016 said:
    SimonWM said:

Both hair plugins are relying on a feature of 3Delight, RiCurves. The curves are used to tell 3Delight about the hair strands, it then 'creates' the needed 'geometry' on the fly, at render time. Lux doesn't understand RiCurves, so it can't render them.

In LAMH you can save out as a OBJ then use it in a LUX render, the Prob is the Size of the saved file.

That's unfortunate as Reality/ Luxrender has better output in many situations than DAZ default renderer.

Will Garibaldi hair be visible with Octane. I plan to use that renderer when it is finally released for Studio and would like to know.

edited December 2012

SimonWM said:
    Jaderail said:
    mjc1016 said:
    SimonWM said:

That's unfortunate as Reality/ Luxrender has better output in many situations than DAZ default renderer.

Will Garibaldi hair be visible with Octane. I plan to use that renderer when it is finally released for Studio and would like to know.

I love Lux, really, I do...but if it has 'better output' why is 3Delight one of the main renderers used by studios/fx houses and much of the motion picture industry? A hint, Renderman renderers are the most used, in the film industry. And there are basically two main production ones...3Delight and Prman (yeah, there's a few others, but they don't have anywhere near the user base, combined as either of the main two). Different...yeah. Does some things easier....yeah. Better...no, but then neither is 3Delight. And comparing them is like asking which is better...apples or oranges. (Or maybe, which is better for this job...a hammer or a screwdriver?)

And as to Octane...NOPE.

Other Renderman renderers...like Prman, Aqsis and Pixie would probably be able to use a rib (Pixie will have trouble with shader, as it's several generations behind and Aqsis will need the shader recompiled as it can't recompile on the fly, yet) with Garibaldi or LAMH hair in it...but not much else will. No to Octane, Lux, Povray, Mental Ray, Firefly and so on.

It's not so much that RiCurves are proprietary, but rather all those others can't do mathematical curves (RiCurve is just an implementation of a Bezier curve that Renderman renderers can understand/do something with), as there is no code built into them to translate the curve into 'something'...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Ahh thank you. I have another question. I am not getting the beta updates. Last time I just reregistered and it came right away. This time I registered and I did not get the e-mail. I am wondering if I do not qualify for beta testing anymore.

I don't currently filter anyone from the beta signup, make sure you check your spam if it's not there then send me an email and I'll send you the details directly.
    edited December 1969

mjc1016, I'm aware of all you have explained. One of the reasons Lux doesn't gets used for motion pictures has to be the time it takes to render. And just because something is standard doesn't means its better, standard many times depends on who came first and who made the best connections in the industry. I do like 3Delight, there are types of renders I cannot do with Lux but for stills that will have a lot of realism I find the setup a lot easier with Lux. And my interest with Octane is being able to see instantly how something looks rendered, being able to tweak light, camera etc. with immediate feedback is fantastic. I hope these renderers eventually gain the ability 3Delight has as I have a need of the three of them in my toolset and I'm really looking forward to make Garibaldi a staple in my hair creation in the future, specially if and when it gains dynamics.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    I hope these renderers eventually gain the ability 3Delight has as I have a need of the three of them in my toolset and I'm really looking forward to make Garibaldi a staple in my hair creation in the future, specially if and when it gains dynamics.

I don't want to get into discussion about renderers. But different renderers are good at certain things. Having spend years working with RenderMan REYES style renderers I have a particular affinity with them (I've even dabbled with writing my own).
    Many features which have made them so successful with VFX most Daz users probably wouldn't particularly care about. If you use the 'Disk Cache' render method feature in Garibaldi you can leverage some of more advanced features of 3Delight and reduce memory usage during rendering in many cases. With careful use you could render almost as much hair as you could ever want in 2GB.
    I've seen some very interesting things done with RenderMan renderers, both in production and just for the fun of it, but it times change.
    'Arnold' is currently gathering traction in VFX which is not to far away from lux/octane. Combine that with the rise of 'Katana' and standards are definitely not forever.
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Taking about lions got me wonding what I could do with it.

Here's a quick pass at a lioness. I've provided furred and unfurred renders for comparison.

Now to install beta 11, put some proper work into the head, and turn this she into a he.

This should be interesting. :-)

LionessNGH.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 186K
    Lioness.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 252K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

Here's a quick pass at a lioness. I've provided furred and unfurred renders for comparison.

Now to install beta 11, put some proper work into the head, and turn this she into a he.

Oh WOW.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

That is so cool Gone! Great job. It's amazing the difference Garibaldi makes to a render :)

edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Is the hair length in distribution supposed to affect the hair when you go into styling tab? I'm finding 'Hair length' has no effect once to progress to stying...

The 'Hair length' setting in the Distribute workspace is just for preview in that workspace.

Some things that might help you with your hair that haven't been mentioned here:
    * Add a small amount of transparency to you hair by reducing the opacity in the Material applied to the node in daz. You can also use the 'S Opacity' to control the opacity of the hair shadows in deep shadow maps to make shadows less harsh. Although using opacity with hair will be slower and require more memory during rendering.
    * Beta 11 fixes a issue with some interpolation issues of hair strands when using the auto parting feature.
    * Reduce the the hair strand segment length in interpolation settings in Style Workspace. This will allow you obtain more detail in the tweak noise based deformers. Although reducing hair strand segment length will increase the vertices used and will be slower and require more memory during rendering.
    * In Beta 11 you can reduce the style curve segment length using the 'Resample all style curves' item in the edit menu. This will let you add a lot more detail in the style curves when dealing with very short hair.

Resampling curves, is that a slow down as well? I'm been making lots of short hairstyles lately... thus far I've been rather happy with its speed. These Beta11 changes sound really good, I'll play around with your tips. Thanks man :)

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

James,

Thank you for the new beta.

I haven't had as much time as I would like to work with the plugin, but I give it quick tests when I can.

Beta 10 was great. The speed was excellent, and I was experiencing one-to-one changes with parameter dials with no lags. Unlike the earlier versions, now when I work in Garibaldi it is just like in the video. A real pleasure to work with.

I love this plugin, and the ease of use (even without some needed docs/tutorials).

I am definitely purchasing this when released. In fact, it is my Christmas present from the family, and if it takes until April 2013 for release, I have it earmarked (cash in hand) for purchase.

I haven't been experiencing any crashes, nor any real issues, so I haven't had anything to report.

One thing to note though, the individual hair widget was sort of working in beta 10. Before, I couldn't even select an arrow. It just selected empty space, and deselected the hair. It was working painfully slow, and cumbersome though, so I gave up on trying to use it. I'll try again in beta 11.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to official release.

edited December 2012

So, I wanted to add Garibaldi hair to a braid on a hair prop... But, it goes all distorted in paint, then when you go to distribute the hair only sprouts in a ball. I see GH is applied to animal figures, and dont understand why I cant apply it to a hair figure. Am I missing a step or something?

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 2012

Learning more every time I use this plugin. Beta 10 was very stable. I am still playing with creating body fur and different hairs. Garibaldi creates some really great results.

seasonchange1bsb.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 480K
    youngones1a.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 639K
    willowbear2sa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 481K
    Post edited by BrumitD on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

So, here's Leo.

For those interested, there are just under 2 million hairs and all are using the skin texture map. I used the Julie AO uberlight and the render took 1 hr 50 min - 1 hr 20 min was spent on the mane! i5 quad core, 6GB RAM.

Spyro -- that sounds like a mapping issue with the braid - but that's just a guess on my part.

Lion.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 253K
This discussion has been closed.