The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Bill, nice Tom Baker era renders. Baker had a couple of sub-eras and my personal favorite was the Philip Hinchcliff era and its spooky "sci-fi take on horror classics" era with mummies, frankenstein (Morbius!), etc. that  gave us the shriveled walking corpse version of the Master.  Baker's characterization of the Doctor was at it's peak in my opinion. He could go  from being and addled and forgetful eccentric bon vivant in one moment and in the next a deeply focused and, in a way, menacing hero (think Genesis of the Daleks, for example).  Later that clownish side dominated and we saw less and less of the serious for a variety of reasons. But for me, the peak of the original era was those three seasons in the mid 70s and I love seeing them recalled in renders!

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574

Someone after my own heart!  It probably helped that my "formal" introduction to Doctor Who was start of "series 12" Tom Baker's debut year when WFSU started airing them in August 1982.  That set of stories "Robot" through Revenge of the Cybermen" was kind of a transistion phase, veering away from the Barry Letts produced U.N.I.T  escapades, giving way to the "darker" Phillip Hinchcliffe stories, opening the way to the Hammer horror film "tributes"  you mentioned.  I'm kinda' surprsied we didn't get a "vampire" story during those couple of years.  Yeah, there's the tale that took place in E-Space, but you gotta' wonder how Hinchcliffe might have handled the theme.  I suspect his would have leaned more toward the material we saw with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:

Someone after my own heart!  It probably helped that my "formal" introduction to Doctor Who was start of "series 12" Tom Baker's debut year when WFSU started airing them in August 1982. 

I first discovered Doctor Who when they ran Baker's first season on Philly PBS in probably 1977 or 1978, give or take. But I was fortunate enought that the other PBS station in our region, the "New  Jersey Network" apparantly had a programming guy who was obsessed with Doctor Who. In the mid 80s they not only re-ran pretty much all of the existing serials from Hartnell up, they had specials where they had people like Troughton and Pertwee participate with interviews and the like. I don't know if these aired outside New Jersey but as a young Whovian I loved it all. 

Here, thanks to the magic of Youtube, is one such interview I watched when originally aired in the mid 80s with Patrick Troughton and it's interesting to hear him rip Colin Baker.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71E1gg9vfhY

And another with that same Who-obsessed host ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178uKYaQN50 ) this time an hour long special from 1986 that they shared with other PBS stations.  But they did lots of stuff that, like the Troughton intervew, was just for air in New Jersey.  I think it was just because that producer/host was a fanboy and it gave him a chance to meet all the actors directly but whatever, it was fun for me!

You definitely got a head start on me.  As noted above, WFSU (the Public Broadcasting Service of Tallahassee, Florida) started airing series 12 in its original episodic format in August 1982.  But "informally", I first learned of Doctor sometime in the late Fall of 1976.  It was at that time I purchased issue 129 of "Famous Monsters of FilmLand" which featured a cover article about the newly released "FutureWorld" (a sequel to the 1973 sci-fi thriller (recently reimagined as an HBO series)).  Within that issue was an article discussing some of the monsters from a show in the UK.  Funny enough, it did not have any photos of the titular character or his conveyence, just some monsters like the Daleks (natch), Koquillion and the Zarbi and Menopthura from "The web Planet".

Alas, at the time I found the creatures..."lacking", to put it politely.  I thought the denezins of "the web Planet" looked like costumes from a school play, Koquillion  absurdly over the top with its multiple spines and the Daleks seemingly "restrictive" in their ability to manipulate objects.  "How can they do anything with toilet plungers?!"  Such was the narrowminded view of a kid who thought "Star Trek" was the "be all and end all" of science fiction.

But do you nothing anything interesting about that list?  They were all monsters from the William hartnell era.  Years later, after losing the FM issue, I pondered this.  Then, about two or three years ago, I found a PDF of that article.  It turned out to have been an article reprinted from an earlier issue, about 10 years earlier!  Yes, when first written and published, William Hartnell was still playing the role!  The article could not have mentioned, say, the cybermen because they didn't yet exist!  There was no notion of regeneration (at the time the phrase used was "renewed") and a succession of very different actors playing the Doctor.  In fact "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", their second appearance had only "recently" aired!  The article was something of a happy accident.  the author had flown to England to interview Boris Karloff and some of the veteran performers of Hammer Films like Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.  While there, he learned of this unique series and thought it might fit the magazine.  Of course, I didn't realize the article was a decade long reprint.  I may have been a bit more forgiving of the designs knowing that, maybe not.  I just don't know.

Skip ahead to late Spring of 1979.  StarLog, a popular magazine covering "media" science fiction (primarily movies and TV) , presented a bit more in depth article about Doctor who and even printed an 'episode guide" (a mainstay of the magazine).  At the time I merely glanced at it and did not retain much.  Once again I kinda' scoffed at the "larger than life" monster designs such as a weird "Humpty Dumpty" looking alien.  Oh those wacky Brits!

Skip ahead one more time, to mid summer 1982.  I was feeling kinda' bummed. the "hero" of my childhood, Mr. Spock had scarificed his life to save his crewmates in "The Wrath of Khan".  At the time, the intent was to be permanent.  The notion of a "Search for Spock" and his resurrection was still sometime in the future.  At this time, I started to see promos on WFSU about some recently acqured material, "Doctor Who".  Wait!  I remember reading about this!  So I dug out my magazines and collected everything that mentioned the show in the slightest and read them again, this time paying far closer attention.

That StarLog issue with the episode guide proved the most useful.  As you can probably guess, it focused upon Tom Baker as his serials were the ones being sold to a substantial list of PBS affiliates in the late 70s and early 80s, following the populaity of "Star Wars".  I used it as a "primer", noting the various odd facts of the series' premise.  Okay, so this "Doctor" has a time machine that can also traverse space.  It supposedly can change its appearance but that feature is busted, trapped in the form of a phone booth.  It's also far larger inside.  Okay...  Oh, it gets stranger.  This "doctor" has been played by 3 actors before this curly headed fellow, none of them looking or acting the same.  He changes when he'd otherwise die.  Right...  Well, on the other hand, if the actor got bored, at least the character can go on.  (I rather liked that concept given I had recently "lost" Spock.)

Thanks to this article and its episode guide covering Tom's first 4 series (as his 5th was yet to air when the article was prepared), I didn't 'come in cold" when Baker's debut story, "Robot" aired "Part One" on a Monday in late August 1982 (making it either the 30th or maybe the 23rd).  Still, within those first 30 seconds, I witnessed my first "regeneration", Jon Pertwee lapse fading in Tom Baker.  From the StarLog article I understood the concept, but, dang, one is immediately tossed into the "deep end"!  My first thought was, "Yeah, I know he can change to save his life.  So, what happened earlier?  What caused the white haired gentleman to turn younger?!"  (At the time and reclined as they were, I thought Pertwee and Baker looked a bit similar.)  "What threatened to kill him?!"  But none of this is answered, no "recap", no "flashback", no "'Previously on Doctor Who...'", we just plow straight into the story with the attitude we the audience should know what has transpired  eralier.  Well, for most UK viewers, yeah, they would have known; but for us uninitiated "bloody Yanks" like me, I found myself sitting there stammering "Who?  What?  When?  Where?  Why?!"  But much like the personality of the Doctor, it was like "No time to dally!  Come along!"

What saved me from what otherwise might have been a disorienting experience was Tom Baker's charisma.  There was just something "magnetic" about him.  Yeah, he could match wits with Spock, but there was something whimsical about him, a blending of Gene Wilder's take on Willy Wonka with the flat out madness of Wonderland's "Hatter".  Yes, Spock was charming too, but in an understated fashion.  I just not see the Vulcan being wistfully apologetic to a towering robot intent upon killing him.  Tom's presence made it easy to ignore the "videotaped soap opera" look to the footage.  It was a bit harder to dismiss the "Action Man" (G"I Joe" in the US) toy tank aiming for Ketterwell's robot, but even that proved endearing in a goofy 1970s "kid friendly" Godzilla fashion.

True, no one could actually "replace" Spock, but this "Doctor" could certainly "carry on" the torch of the "smart" hero.  I've been a fan ever since.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited January 2017

Cool reminscences Bill. I rethought it some more and I think the first Doctor Who I saw was on WOR channel 9 in New York City. We had that on our cable system starting around 1980 and I recall the first one I saw was "Robot". Thanks to the Internet I confirmed that the Doctor was on WOR starting starting in 1978 on Saturdays, just two episodes a week.   Apparantly WOR was one of the first, if not the first, channel to syndicate it.  My family didn't have cable until around 1981 but I am certain I saw it before that, specifically during our annual summer vacation at Jersey shore which did have cable which would get New York stations so probably 1979/1980.  But of course we only got to see a couple of episodes over the two week vacation so we never saw the full story. And the next year we'd be back and I'd be like "cool Doctor Who is on! What happened to Harry and that old fashioned yellow car though?"  When we finally got cable I was excited to be able to watch two episodes every week and actually see the whole story!  

But most importantly for me, it was something my dad and I could all do together. He hardly ever watched TV but he was a SciFi buff and Doctor Who and Star Trek were on his "okay, I'll watch it" list.  But even Star Trek he would only watch if it was a monster episode ("The salt vampire! The lizard man! The flying jellyfish!") because he watched them in their original run and that was good enough for him. But Doctor Who, that was something new! He'd make fun of the monsters and I'd say how cool they were. I do remember that he had a particularly beef with the Cybermen, he would scoff "they always just sit around making some big plan but they never DO anything!" I never got that, I thought they were cool.  In retrospect, he kinda had a point.

I later got to see every Doctor.  The new ones too.  The special effects are better now, the writing is tighter, and the acting less melodramatic, overall it's a slicker product and fun to watch. But those old Tom Baker episodes will always be the ones with MY Doctor!

As a penance for subjecting everyone to my walk down memory lane, I'm going to come up with a project to share with everyone, haven't done a Doctor Who prop since my old victorian style tardis control room from the Baker era, so I'm due.  It has to be baker era, of course.  Now what to do, what to do?   Hmmmm....

Post edited by grinch2901 on

A goodie from Tom Baker's reign, eh?  Considering he played the role 7 series (years), that covers a lot of material!

Sincerely,

Bill

I have something in mind that I made earlier for a render of the 70s era.  Just need to clean it up.  

• Redfern said:

Just trying out MGHSFAN2k's "series 13" console room with AlDemp's time rotor and some idiot's half a$$ console.wink

Sincerely,

Bill

Ooh love that Tom Baker! Did you model that Bill?
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

A note for Hinchcliffe fans. Big Finish, which does full cast audio dramas featuring classic doctors (1->War) starring the actual actors has been doing a series of Hinchcliffe inspired Doctor/Leela stories, starring Tom Baker and Louise Jameson.

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/doctor-who-philip-hinchcliffe-presents

(I haven't listened to any of them yet..I'm well behind with my Big Finish stuff...but they're rather good to great).

If you mean the morph, alas, no.  A person with the user-name Werts started to offer a series of celebrity based morphsat ShareCG for Michael and Victoria 4.  Tom Bajer's likeness was one of those offered.  Sadly, one day, the offerings "vanished", by that point, several pages worth, along with Werts' account.  When asked about his or her whereabouts, nobody has a clue.  And when publicly asked if a morph can be shared, D*Z is quick to step in and note that unless the "read-me" file explicitly permits redistribution, they can't.  Frustratingly, the "read me" file only provides the installation instructions, nothing about sharing.

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:

If you mean the morph, alas, no.  A person with the user-name Werts started to offer a series of celebrity based morphsat ShareCG for Michael and Victoria 4.  Tom Bajer's likeness was one of those offered.  Sadly, one day, the offerings "vanished", by that point, several pages worth, along with Werts' account.  When asked about his or her whereabouts, nobody has a clue.  And when publicly asked if a morph can be shared, D*Z is quick to step in and note that unless the "read-me" file explicitly permits redistribution, they can't.  Frustratingly, the "read me" file only provides the installation instructions, nothing about sharing.

Sincerely,

Bill

Shoot, I think I missed the Tom Baker one. I transferred a bunch over to Genesis 2 Male and mix in a little Clint Eastwood or John Wayne with many of my male characters but I'd love a good Tom Baker!

I can't remember if I placed a bug in his ear about that one, or another member.

Sincerely,

Bill

Isosceles said:

I had seen this speculated to be likely as the BBC apparantly thinks Moffat took Doctor Who in the wrong direction and they want to try to get a David Tennant clone in the role with a Billie Piper clone by his side (i.e. a young action Doctor with a fawning quasi-love interest to rescue).  I haven't watched Capaldi's doctor yet because I lost BBC America on my cable package for a while but I see the first couple of seasons are on Netflix so I guess it's a good time to catch up.

edited January 2017

As promised, two WIPs of Fourth Doctor era items I plan to release soon.

First, a commando style sweater as favored by the Brigadier for G3M and probably G2M.  Yeah, I know he's more of a third Doctor guy but he was in one or two with Tom Baker so he counts.  The shirt collar and sweater are all one clothing item, the shirt collar can be and can be hidden by turning opacity down. 

Second, a very long scarf as featured in one of the episodes where someone wore such a scarf, so long ago I can't remember who. For this one, I think I may leave it a prop with bones (DAZ Studio rigging, I don't have poser or understand how to rig in it) so you can pop it onto any character's neck and pose the ends as needed.  I know there is already such an item available as a freebie (and I think featured in Redfern's recent render) but this is another variant and gives a different look, good to mix it up I guess. 

Just a teaser, getting this stuff out the door always takes a while because getting time to get it done is not easy. But hopefull pretty soon, as you can see textures are done and that's always the biggest pain for me so should be soon.

BrigadierSweaterG3M.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 526K
    ExtraLongScarf.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 547K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on
    edited January 2017

Grinch2901, could you check your domestic e-mail?  I used the "send mail" feature at ShareCG.  I hope it is a valid link.

Sincerely,

Bill

Post edited by Redfern on

Bill, i got your message but I checked it on my phone and there was a delay as I was swiping to open and I ended up deleting it before I could read it. Geez I'm incompetent. Anyway, can you resend?

edited February 2017

Grinch, I sent it again early this morning.

You really don't want to "nuke" this particular message.

Sincerely,

Bill

Hello, Grinch2901?  Did that second e-mail not reach you?  I can only assume such since you have not reponded.

Sincerely,

Bill

Sorry about that Bill. I got your note and responded!

edited March 2017

If this were upon any site other than the official BBC DW site, I'd suspect it were a hoax.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/adff0629-5ce5-4a0e-b81a-69693d489745

But believe or not, the original ski-mask clad Cybermen of Mondas return to "Doctor Who"1

The "blurb" notes filming has begun upon the final two episodes of the newest series, set to debut on April 15, and the Mondasian Cyermen were Capaldi's favorite foe.  I guess since this will be Peter's last year on the show, he negotiated to have Hartnell's last "monsters" reappear.  Hmm, I rather like the parallel.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

I see that Amazon prime video has all the recent doctor who episodes. I need to catch up but at least it is included with prime.   When do new episodes come out?

My roommate does not understand doctor who.  I miss Matt Smith but need to give Peter a real chance.

When do new episodes come out?

Hello?  I can aonly assume you may have my posts 'blocked" from view because I stated stated the start date of the newest series (season) in the post immediately preceeding yours.

Sincerely,

BIll

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited March 2017
    Redfern said:

When do new episodes come out?

Hello?  I can aonly assume you may have my posts 'blocked" from view because I stated stated the start date of the newest series (season) in the post immediately preceeding yours.

Sincerely,

BIll

Nope you are not blocked.  I just overlooked your post.  So the new episode is on Saturday April 15, 2017?  Way cool as that is day before Easter and also my birthday!

Seemed like my tablet posted my post before I am finished with it.

This time my excuse is I am on my tablet while riding a van.  Not driving but riding.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Redfern said:
    The "blurb" notes filming has begun upon the final two episodes of the newest series, set to debut on April 15

Just come across a link to the newest trailer on that preview page, that I hadn't seen before.

<squee!!!>

Only a matter of a few weeks more to wait...

Redfern said:

If this were upon any site other than the official BBC DW site, I'd suspect it were a hoax.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/adff0629-5ce5-4a0e-b81a-69693d489745

But believe or not, the original ski-mask clad Cybermen of Mondas return to "Doctor Who"1

Didn't these guys sort of sing their lines in the original? High pitched with a Paulie Shore style cadence?  Wow, can't imagine how that would play today!  

The notion was that without the ability to experience emotion, the Cybermen no longer understood how to "inflect" their words.  It was as though they simply played back snippets or random audio recordings, words spoken from different sources.  It was certainly a unique approach compared to the usual practice with dialogue spoken in monotone with a bit of reverb or some other electronic distortion, a cliched technique given to the Cybermen's later appearances.

Note also the first Cybermen simply dropped open their jaws, not moving their lips as we heard their words.  It was as though an electronic speaker had been surgically inserted and their mouths served no more purpose than as amplifying chambers.  The two elements together triggered a really disturbing sense of the "uncanny valley", which is what the production wanted.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    Redfern said:

The notion was that without the ability to experience emotion, the Cybermen no longer understood how to "inflect" their words.  It was as though they simply played back snippets or random audio recordings, words spoken from different sources.  It was certainly a unique approach compared to the usual practice with dialogue spoken in monotone with a bit of reverb or some other electronic distortion, a cliched technique given to the Cybermen's later appearances.

Note also the first Cybermen simply dropped open their jaws, not moving their lips as we heard their words.  It was as though an electronic speaker had been surgically inserted and their mouths served no more purpose than as amplifying chambers.  The two elements together triggered a really disturbing sense of the "uncanny valley", which is what the production wanted.

Sincerely,

Bill

Okay, now that's something I want to see:  CG (or better, live-action in a CG-heavy show) that aims for the Uncanny Valley!  One of the texture artists recently posted a couple of her culled promo images on her product's promo thread, and my first thought on one was "that's a render?" which isn't something I often do.  But to shoot for the Valley effectively, instead of hamfisting it into the "not-another-cheap-CG-effect" area I call the Uncanny Valley Motel, now...

When does it air, and where's my SIDRAT to skip the intervening days?  wink

When does it air, and where's my SIDRAT to skip the intervening days?  wink

The article claimed the Cybermen will feature in the 11th and 12th episodes.  We know the season debuts April 15th.  So, assuming there are no "breaks" with special programming that would delay any of the segments, the Cyberman story should start on June 24 and conclude on July 1st.

Sincerely,

Bill