The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited January 2017
    ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:

...The It Feels like Absolute Zero Out Complaint Thread.

...The My Bottle Of Absolut Has Zero Vodka Left In It Complaint Thread

I love this quote from the article in my last post. "Yet the gas is not colder than zero Kelvin, but hotter. It is even hotter than at any positive temperature – the temperature scale simply does not end at infinity, but jumps to negative values instead."  Don't you just love swimming in the quantum ocean? surprise

So how about The Colder than Cold is Hotter than Hot, complaint thread

thanks for the link I get the positional stuff but it all seems to break thermodynamics 0 thru 2 at least, make head asplode :)

I should be an expert on Thermodynamics I took it twice back in the '60s. smiley Unfortunately I failed both times.sad  It was a required course but on the third try I went to my advisor and told him that "I just don't grasp thermo", and asked for a replacement course.  I forgot what he substituted but I did finally graduate.  Many years later I finally understood why I failed thermodynamics.  For me, thermo was all guess work.  Complex formulas that worked but made no sense.  It was like astronomy before Copernicus and Newton, just add circles and epicircles as needed.  It wasn't science, it was hoo-doo.  It wasn't logical it wasn't simple.  I got this epiphany sometime after I learned of chaos theory and how it simplified physical systems that otherwise seemed too complex.  I felt vindicated.  I still don't know thermo in any detail but I never needed it so, no problem because I never designed rocket engines or semiconductor chips.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited January 2017
    ps1borg said:

morning. hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot night and morning is getting hotter :)

...yup according to the weather service I use already 80° at 08:45 on the way to a high ot 97°, three times than what it is here right now (32° after a low of 21° and as I mentioned above, snow and ice on the way this weekend).  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

My coffee is putting me to sleep instead of waking me up.

Maybe I should switch to beer....

...the "breakfast of champions" in Wisconsin.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wuh woes

Winter Weather Advisory for Northwest Suffolk County, New York

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SATURDAY TO 1 AM EST SUNDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SATURDAY TO 1 AM EST SUNDAY. * LOCATIONS... WESTERN SUFFOLK COUNTY IN NEW YORK AND MIDDLESEX AND SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN COUNTIES IN CONNECTICUT. * HAZARD TYPES... SNOW * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 3 TO 6 INCHES. * TIMING... DEVELOPING SATURDAY MORNING AND CONTINUING INTO THE EVENING. * IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES. * WINDS... NORTH 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. * TEMPERATURES... IN THE LOWER 20S. * VISIBILITIES... 1 MILE OR LESS POSSIBLE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW... SLEET... OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. &&

More Information

... SIGNIFICANT SNOW LIKELY ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST CONNECTICUT SATURDAY...

• Issuing Office: New York City

Source: National.Weather.Service

3:22pm EST, Fri Jan 6

i was like a trooper making it to work today.

people prolly stampeding the grocery stores and home depots.

my nurse neighbor informed me mac n cheese isnt a meal. puts in bit of a lurch for meals ight now

• Non-complaint:  While watching an old episode of "Midsomer Murders" (Season 6  "Painted In Blood") a character voice caught my attention and bugged me for quite a while until I realized it was the voice of the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter movies. cool It's probaby quite recognizable in England but I'd never heard it before except in the HP movies.  Leslie Phillips, who according to IMDB.com wasn't credited for the voice of the Sorting Hat.

I love it when I make memory connections like that.  Proves that my brain ain't completely jelly yet.

sorting hats have feelings too

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited January 2017

I grew up lstening to Leslie Phillips on shows like The Lavy Lark, and the Carry On films of course, so to me his voice is instantly recognisable. And although I haven't seen him in anything for a few years (he must be in his 90s), he was always cropping up on TV and in movies, playing little character roles.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I grew up lstening to Leslie Phillips on shows like The Lavy Lark, and the Carry On films of course, so to me his voice is instantly recognisable. And although I haven't seen him in anything for a few years (he must be in his 90s), he was always cropping up on TV and in movies, playing little character roles.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited January 2017

Complaint: 3-4 in of snow this morning. I'm too old to enjoy it. sadcrying

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited January 2017

Thermometer on porch said 7F (about -14C) this morning.  I didn't notice it except for having to turn my 'lectric blanket up to twice my usual setting (Mmm, toasty!).  Getting dressed though was fun.  I could feel the cold air fall from the inside of the window glass and run across the floor.  Brrrrr....   This old house doesn't have double pane windows yet.  When I was a kid, we lived in an old farmhouse but we would staple plastic sheeting across the inside of the window during the winter.  Not good for the woodwork! sad  But hey, in an old farmhouse in the '50s you'd just slap another coat of lead based paint on it and it would fill the holes. surpriseno

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    MistyMist said:

COMPLAINT  COMPLAINT  COMPLAINT

my lovely beautiful functional excel formulae works fine on my desktop,
    works fine on the shipping clerk pc
    but stops calculating on my manager's laptop.
    he emails it to me, i update the hours field, and it re-calculates just fine.

whisky tango foxtrot 

I could be Home Playing xbox Complaint Thread

You'll have to find out the differences between the two machines.  ie.: does he have a different version of Excel?  Does he have less RAM?  Does he have a newer OS?  Does he have ID10T syndrome?  laugh   Do you have some add-on that he doesn't have?  Do you have it set to auto-recalculate?  Maybe his is not set for that.  Isn't debugging and diagnostics fun?   cheeky 

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    ps1borg said:

morning. hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot night and morning is getting hotter :)

And we're about to be buried.  Snowing for almost two hours already, and is expected to keep going until midnight or later.  Blizzard conditions, whiteouts, and expected totals of 8" to 12"!  Brrr.

Dana

• ps1borg said:

Happy New Year, everybody.

Been busy with non-art stuff, but I hope you're all well!

hungover complaint :)

kyoto kid said:

...still? It's the 4th there where you are.  Must have been one heck of a party.

Nope, was work related.  Not a big drinker.  The first one always tastes the best, and after that they're boring.  Plus, I sometimes carry, so always want to have a clear mind.  Always.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited January 2017
    hacsart said:

an 1130, that takes me back, we never had one of those, but when I started out we had a 1401, two 360/40's and a 7080...(as well as a metric boatload of the required peripherals.. as far as staic goes, we had one weird episode with one of the 360's - it woudl hard crash on weekdays always at the same time.. Turned out that as it was the one closest to the central walkway in the datacentre, that everytime one of the office girls would come by dropping of schedules, etc, the static charge that built up on her skirt and nylons would jump to the side panel of the 360 and hard crash it.. Turns out there were some broken ground straps on the inside of that side panel..  strange but true..

Back in the late 60s or very early 70s I was in college and worked in the computer center and had access to the IBM1130 computer they had.  The memory was core memory (teeny-tiny magnetic donuts woven into a mesh of wires) but much of the rest of the computer was made up of many many individual circuit cards plugged into the backplane of the computer on one end of the card and then linked together in specific order via special flat cables across the other ends of the cards.  One jackass who thought he was a bright bulb also had access to the computer center and took it upon himself one night when the computer wasn't needed, to remove all the circuit cards and examine them.  All fine and well, he didn't break a single one and satisfied his curiosity about what they looked like.  Later that night I and a couple other night computer operators came in to do our jobs and found him sitting on the floor behind the computer with the circuit cards spread in piles all around him.  Incredulously we questioned him if he knew what he was doing and if he could get the computer back up again.  He said: (famous last words) "Don't worry it will only take a couple minutes to put them back in".  Unfortunately, he hadn't noted which slots the cards came from and admitted it, but in his cocky naivete decided it didn't matter.  After he'd reinserted the cards and the numerous flat cables were attached where he thought they should go, he pranced around to the front and made a big show of pushing the big green power button on the console while singing "ta-da", and we all watched the blue smoke come from the ventilation holes in the computer cabinet. indecision I don't know what happened the rest of that night because the rest of us immediately left the building.  The next day a swarm of IBM technicians were there to fix the machine.  I don't know how much it cost but the jackass never worked there again.  (Hmmm..., in fact, I don't remember seeing him around at all after that.)

Kids are probably the most dangerous in a computer room.  The 4341, with it's low profile, had the big red switch located right at waist level on the end of the processor cabinet.  Eye level for the average 6 year old.  Old 3330 and 3350 strings too, with their nearby controllers.  One 6 year old could (and did) shut down an entire computer room in the time it takes an operator to enter any console command. 

Always followed soon by strict "no kids" rules.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:

whisky tango foxtrot 

You'll have to find out the differences between the two machines.  ie.: does he have a different version of Excel?  Does he have less RAM?  Does he have a newer OS?  Does he have ID10T syndrome?  laugh   Do you have some add-on that he doesn't have?  Do you have it set to auto-recalculate?  Maybe his is not set for that.  Isn't debugging and diagnostics fun?   cheeky 

Dana

Sometimes I feel like I have the 1D10T syndrome.   I am feeling like I have it now as I cannot figure out what is wrong with my computer.

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

And we're about to be buried.  Snowing for almost two hours already, and is expected to keep going until midnight or later.  Blizzard conditions, whiteouts, and expected totals of 8" to 12"!  Brrr.

Dana

...snow has been falling here for about the last hour but the real issue is the threat of 3/4" of ice predicted later on.  So far the radar map still just shows snow and as long as the temps stay cold enough we might luck out at least for today. I need to go somewhere a bit later and don't want to find the sidewalks and streets turned into a skating rink when I leave for home this evening.

DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:

whisky tango foxtrot 

Dana

Sometimes I feel like I have the 1D10T syndrome.   I am feeling like I have it now as I cannot figure out what is wrong with my computer.

...I have those days (had one recently) but I just chock it up to getting old.

• kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:

whisky tango foxtrot 

Dana

...I have those days (had one recently) but I just chock it up to getting old.

Chock or "chalk"?  wink

edited January 2017

Wikipedia:  "Chalk": is a soft, white, porous sedimentary carbonate rock, a form of limestone composed of the mineral calcite.

Used in ancient times around my birth to make temporary marks on flat slabs of slate (see "Slate") attached to the front wall of every schoolroom in the country.  The slate slabs were called "blackboards" because they were  black.  This technology had been replaced by pressed cardboard coated with some hard substance that is miserably inferior to slate and is now for some unknown reason green yet still called a blackboard.  Granted the chalk was a consumable material but the slate was forever if treated right.  Now I understand that even the green blackboards are being obsoleted  at tremendous cost for electronic gizmos that will malfunction or be obsolete in 4 years. 

Yet this is all in the name of progress as is the non-teaching of cursive script writing.  The effect will be that soon, documents created prior to the invention of the typewriter will be in an unintelligable language.

And for that reason, personally, I make all my notes, grocery lists, reminders, philosophical essays, gossip, etc., at home on paper in cursive writing, carefully and lovingly written the best that I know how in the manner taught me over 60 years ago by people who are all now dead.  I do this because when I pass on and the young people come to pick the bones of my estate and domicile I want them to discover all these beautiful notes, apparently written in some indecipherable code, and think that my life was involved in something secretive and interesting. cheeky

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

thought i heard the sound of someone shoveling my path to the gate, but i was wrong

The Winter broke my back Complaint Thread

The no Gears on my 80's junk Complaint Thread

MistyMist said:

So that is why my back hurts.  I thought it was either bad posture or being too busty.

MistyMist said:

So that is why my back hurts.  I thought it was either bad posture or being too busty.

tis the shoveling!

I did not bother shoveling.  Mainly because I did not see the need, but most important I do not own a shovel not even a snow shovel which makes shoveling impossible.

MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

tis the shoveling!

Hmmmm  I placed an order with Amazon prime now as I had the funds on my card but iTunes snipped in and took some money from my card.  I tried canceling the Amazon Now order but despite the Amazon now assistant said it got cancelled but it did not.

wookie weapons 

wookies not just big teddy bears

Is five thirty pm too early to go to bed?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

Big Mac Kitties disagree.

This discussion has been closed.