The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

an 1130, that takes me back, we never had one of those, but when I started out we had a 1401, two 360/40's and a 7080...(as well as a metric boatload of the required peripherals.. as far as staic goes, we had one weird episode with one of the 360's - it woudl hard crash on weekdays always at the same time.. Turned out that as it was the one closest to the central walkway in the datacentre, that everytime one of the office girls would come by dropping of schedules, etc, the static charge that built up on her skirt and nylons would jump to the side panel of the 360 and hard crash it.. Turns out there were some broken ground straps on the inside of that side panel..  strange but true..

Back in the late 60s or very early 70s I was in college and worked in the computer center and had access to the IBM1130 computer they had.  The memory was core memory (teeny-tiny magnetic donuts woven into a mesh of wires) but much of the rest of the computer was made up of many many individual circuit cards plugged into the backplane of the computer on one end of the card and then linked together in specific order via special flat cables across the other ends of the cards.  One jackass who thought he was a bright bulb also had access to the computer center and took it upon himself one night when the computer wasn't needed, to remove all the circuit cards and examine them.  All fine and well, he didn't break a single one and satisfied his curiosity about what they looked like.  Later that night I and a couple other night computer operators came in to do our jobs and found him sitting on the floor behind the computer with the circuit cards spread in piles all around him.  Incredulously we questioned him if he knew what he was doing and if he could get the computer back up again.  He said: (famous last words) "Don't worry it will only take a couple minutes to put them back in".  Unfortunately, he hadn't noted which slots the cards came from and admitted it, but in his cocky naivete decided it didn't matter.  After he'd reinserted the cards and the numerous flat cables were attached where he thought they should go, he pranced around to the front and made a big show of pushing the big green power button on the console while singing "ta-da", and we all watched the blue smoke come from the ventilation holes in the computer cabinet. indecision I don't know what happened the rest of that night because the rest of us immediately left the building.  The next day a swarm of IBM technicians were there to fix the machine.  I don't know how much it cost but the jackass never worked there again.  (Hmmm..., in fact, I don't remember seeing him around at all after that.)

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    ps1borg said:
    Stryder87 said:

Grrrrrr..... spent over $2500 to build a new computer for Daz, and it STILL lags when I try to select the orbit control and then spin the scene, as well as when I try to highlight (to select) the movement arrow on a Translate movement icon on an object.

You would think that Win7 (64bit), 32Gb DDR4, 6-core i7 and a 850 SSD HDD (C:) would be good enough for smooth operations....

Gah.... what does this thing want???

all the open GL hardware and drivers is up to date?

Drivers are the latest.  I'm running a EVGA GeForce GTX660SC, so it should be just fine.  I can't figure out what this program wants.  frown

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

I got two of the six ram slots to work I think but still trying to figure out what is wrong with the rest

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited January 2017
    Stryder87 said:
    ps1borg said:
    Stryder87 said:

Grrrrrr..... spent over $2500 to build a new computer for Daz, and it STILL lags when I try to select the orbit control and then spin the scene, as well as when I try to highlight (to select) the movement arrow on a Translate movement icon on an object.

You would think that Win7 (64bit), 32Gb DDR4, 6-core i7 and a 850 SSD HDD (C:) would be good enough for smooth operations....

all the open GL hardware and drivers is up to date?

Drivers are the latest.  I'm running a EVGA GeForce GTX660SC, so it should be just fine.  I can't figure out what this program wants.  frown

Did you set it to use the GPU to render?  It might still be set to use the CPU.

Dana

Oh, never mind...you said it was lagging in design view...sorry.

Post edited by DanaTA on

Apparently unplugging the usb cord to the wireless adapter will make me loose internet.   Actually I thought I was unplugging my old mouse to make sure my new mouse works.   I want to make sure I used my Christmas money well.  I was told it had to be used on stuff for the computer.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

was like a total stranger at the bus stop asking me if i live alone, totally creepy.

I think my new mouse does not like my leggings.

is dropping to the 20s fahrebheits tnite, wind is howly  shvrr shvvrr

craanked the heat up, but is drafty.  stuffed a towel at door bottom , not doing much though

piled on 3 blankets, fleecy robe,flecy pj, kinda heavy gonna be hard to turn over

• MistyMist said:

craanked the heat up, but is drafty.  stuffed a towel at door bottom , not doing much though

piled on 3 blankets, fleecy robe,flecy pj, kinda heavy gonna be hard to turn over

Two words:  'Lectric Blanket.  Mmmm, toasty.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

I did not feel any tingling.   I touched the edge of board.

The fan in my computer's power supply is loud too.  I should replace the cheap power supply with another unit.

ps1borg said:

Wow, just wow.   I caused my old 486 or Pentium computer to reboot when I touched one of the expansion cards while the computer was running.  I think it was the sound card?  I'm guessing that static electricity caused the computer to reboot.

Currently, my power supply fan in my other computer is loud.  Now I have a runny nose from breathing in the dust that is on the computer.  I should clean the outside of the case.  Yuck.

Someone removed all the ram to look at them then tried to put it all back

Back in the late 60s or very early 70s I was in college and worked in the computer center and had access to the IBM1130 computer they had.  The memory was core memory (teeny-tiny magnetic donuts woven into a mesh of wires) but much of the rest of the computer was made up of many many individual circuit cards plugged into the backplane of the computer on one end of the card and then linked together in specific order via special flat cables across the other ends of the cards. (snip...)

did it tingle ? :)

Worse nightmare really, stuff catching fire is always the last thing you expected when it happens :)

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    MistyMist said:

all your hot belong us :)

90.png
    213 x 169 - 17K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    MistyMist said:

was like a total stranger at the bus stop asking me if i live alone, totally creepy.

Yeah, just me and my Rottweiler Max.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

plus there are two pit bulls upstairs that the owner has to train with chains and a whip.   (ok we know that is to keep them away from Misty's biscuit barrel, but the creepy guy won't know that)

Chohole said:
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

plus there are two pit bulls upstairs that the owner has to train with chains and a whip.   (ok we know that is to keep them away from Misty's biscuit barrel, but the creepy guy won't know that)

LOL!  Funny

Chohole said:
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

they total mushes. heart  i feel like is my job to protect them, lol.  but there are beware of dog signs, has a picture of rottie sayin 'i can make it to the fence in 4 seconds, can you?'

MistyMist said:

they used to say the lectric blanket made your blood thin?  was back in the 70s. when men were from Mars, women from Venus.  

snow!!! tonight!  wahhhhh

what was the name of that Legolas hair?

MistyMist said:
    Chohole said:
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

they total mushes. heart  i feel like is my job to protect them, lol.  but there are beware of dog signs, has a picture of rottie sayin 'i can make it to the fence in 4 seconds, can you?'

Yes,  round here the young wannabees started parading around with Staffordshire Bull Terriers on heavy collars with chain leads, thinking they looked tough.   Someon forgot to tell them that staffies are real softies. and not as dangerous as the ankle snappers that some ladies have.   (unless mistreated of course. There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,174
    edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

they used to say the lectric blanket made your blood thin?  was back in the 70s. when men were from Mars, women from Venus.  

One of the interesting features of having lived nearly 70 years is that I've seen all sorts of "truths" come and go especially things like health "facts".  Anybody with half a brain can find some correlation between anything and publish it.  The problem is that the other people that only use the alternate half a brain believe them.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that the biggest cause of death is life.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

One of the interesting features of having lived nearly 70 years is that I've seen all sorts of "truths" come and go especially things like health "facts".  Anybody with half a brain can find some correlation between anything and publish it.  The problem is that the other people that only use the alternate half a brain believe them.

Yes,  living in a hot country can affect things, so if it turns really cold people who are used to the hot temps can really feel it more, but it doesn"t thin the blood down.  It takes chemicals (medications) to do that.

edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:

snow!!! tonight!  wahhhhh

Yep!  We got 5 inches last night.  I don't have to go anywhere until Monday but I should suit up and go out to broom this 5 inches of light fluffy stuff off my car before more hits it tonight.

After the last storm I waited 10 days and when I did have to go driving, I had to remove 18 inches of wet gloppy stuff.

Edited 2 hours later:  Yea! Snow is off the car.  Ready for the next load. frown

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that the biggest cause of death is life.

Nobody gets out of it alive.

Ostadan said:

Nobody gets out of it alive.

Well I guess one had to be alive in order to die.

• Chohole said:
    MistyMist said:
    Chohole said:
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

Yes,  round here the young wannabees started parading around with Staffordshire Bull Terriers on heavy collars with chain leads, thinking they looked tough.   Someon forgot to tell them that staffies are real softies. and not as dangerous as the ankle snappers that some ladies have.   (unless mistreated of course. There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners)

A coworker does a lot of fostering for a bully rescue society, and she brings them into the office for socialization.  They've all been wonderful, sweet dogs, which is amazing considering what some of them have come through.  I still wouldn't have one due to the stigma of pitbulls and how other people react, but I'm more educated now.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. A bit of a cool breeze taking some heat out of this morning before the inevitable kicks in as the sun gets higher :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    MistyMist said:

...was 19° this morning going to drop to 17° tonight/tomorow morning.  Then nnow on Saturday

33° now but without the stong winds like we had yesterday. 

Can it be colder than absolute zero?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    Stryder87 said:

...are you working OpenGL or Iray View mode?  Also is the scene very large (in the terms of polygons and textures)? 

In my railway station scene if I have to adjust say, a character pose I delete the character from the scene, then open the individual character backup I have, make the adjustments and save, close that, reopen the full scene, merge the reposed character in, and key enter the location coordinates and Y axis rotation value (I have those numbers recorded separately)

Faster than trying to make adjustments in the scene file itself as the "weight" of the full scene is extremely "heavy" with 8 characters, environmental effects and  numerous props (including two train sets and vehicles in the background (filesize 8.9 GB with teh Daz programme opened).

edited January 2017

Can it be colder than absolute zero?

Short answer:  No. 

Longer answer:  No, "Heat" is the energy of jittery molecules.  Cold is the absence of heat.  As things give up energy they cool down, their molecules jitter around slower and slower.  When you take all the energy that you can out of jittery molecules, they stop jittering.  When molecules stop jittering you're at Absolute Zero.(-459.67F or -273.15C). 

Even longer answer:  Possibly, but it may require that you change your opinion about the details of the definition of Absolute Zero (like how do you define "stopped") and have a little understanding of the behavior of atoms & molecules at a quantum level.  see: Recent article in Scientific American Magazine: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero/

This discussion has been closed.