The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Can it be colder than absolute zero?

Short answer:  No.  Longer answer:   "Heat" is the energy of jittery molecules.  Cold is the absence of heat.  As things cool down, their molecules jitter around slower and slower.  When you take all the energy that you can out of jittery molecules, they stop jittering.  When molecules stop jittering you're at Absolute Zero.(-459.67F or -273.15C). 

There has been some experimental attempts to leverage the measurements of quanta at an average energy of absolute zero across the measured stuff (gas?)  to produce a set of signed inverse positional values, which in the weird world of quantum physics gives you measurements of minus zero K altho idk if there is any practical application

oh found  the article, understanding it iz quite something else

http://phys.org/news/2013-01-gas-temperature-absolute.html

• ps1borg said:

Short answer:  No.  Longer answer:   "Heat" is the energy of jittery molecules.  Cold is the absence of heat.  As things cool down, their molecules jitter around slower and slower.  When you take all the energy that you can out of jittery molecules, they stop jittering.  When molecules stop jittering you're at Absolute Zero.(-459.67F or -273.15C). 

There has been some experimental attempts to leverage the measurements of quanta at an average energy of absolute zero across the measured stuff (gas?)  to produce a set of signed inverse positional values, which in the weird world of quantum physics gives you measurements of minus zero K altho idk if there is any practical application

Here's another even better explanation: http://phys.org/news/2013-01-atoms-negative-absolute-temperature-hottest.html#nRlv

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

snow is comin.  last beer, but wine on the rack.  lessee mac n cheese, ghee butter chixn n rice. lindt balls and butter pecan ice cream

soo i coulf hunker down til tuesday.

+ new xbox.  santa elves didnt hook it up for me.  cant be harder than a vcr?
    heard from co-worker microsoft nickel  dimes ya for xbox stuff.  like a skin 5.99 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited January 2017

...The It Feels like Absolute Zero Out Complaint Thread.

...The My Bottle Of Absolut Has Zero Vodka Left In It Complaint Thread

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    MistyMist said:

snow is comin.  last beer, but wine on the rack.  lessee mac n cheese, ghee butter chixn n rice. lindt balls and butter pecan ice cream

soo i coulf hunker down til tuesday.

+ new xbox.  santa elves didnt hook it up for me.  cant be harder than a vcr?
    heard from co-worker microsoft nickel  dimes ya for xbox stuff.  like a skin 5.99 

...sounds like they took a page from Apple's playbook.

Chohole said:
    MistyMist said:
    Chohole said:
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

was like a total stranger at the bus stop asking me if i live alone, totally creepy.

Yeah, just me and my Rottweiler Max.

plus there are two pit bulls upstairs that the owner has to train with chains and a whip.   (ok we know that is to keep them away from Misty's biscuit barrel, but the creepy guy won't know that)

they total mushes. heart  i feel like is my job to protect them, lol.  but there are beware of dog signs, has a picture of rottie sayin 'i can make it to the fence in 4 seconds, can you?'

Yes,  round here the young wannabees started parading around with Staffordshire Bull Terriers on heavy collars with chain leads, thinking they looked tough.   Someon forgot to tell them that staffies are real softies. and not as dangerous as the ankle snappers that some ladies have.   (unless mistreated of course. There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners)

dawww

here iggy

20161001_144655.jpg
    900 x 1600 - 275K
    edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

smiley

They Glued Gears on my Luksusowa Complaint Thread

Gears on my Wookie Weapons  tee hee

Post edited by Mistara on
    ps1borg said:

Here's another even better explanation: http://phys.org/news/2013-01-atoms-negative-absolute-temperature-hottest.html#nRlv

physiqs like redbull cliffdivers  tee hee

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited January 2017
    kyoto kid said:

I love this quote from the article in my last post. "Yet the gas is not colder than zero Kelvin, but hotter. It is even hotter than at any positive temperature – the temperature scale simply does not end at infinity, but jumps to negative values instead."  Don't you just love swimming in the quantum ocean? surprise

So how about The Colder than Cold is Hotter than Hot, complaint thread

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST FRIDAY... * LOCATIONS... NEW YORK CITY... LONG ISLAND... COASTAL SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT... PORTIONS OF NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY... AND SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER COUNTY. * HAZARD TYPES... SNOW. * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 1 TO 4 INCHES. * TIMING... SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE THIS EVENING AND CONTINUES THROUGH RUSH HOUR FRIDAY MORNING. * IMPACTS... SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS LATE TONIGHT THROUGH TOMORROW MORNING. * TEMPERATURES... IN THE UPPER 20S. 

• Issuing Office: New York City

Source: National.Weather.Service

9:22pm EST, Thu Jan 5

there a big diff between 1 and 4 inches,  4" i wouldnt bother setting my alarm clock.  1" i could still make the bus >.< 

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    kyoto kid said:

...are you working OpenGL or Iray View mode?  Also is the scene very large (in the terms of polygons and textures)? 

In my railway station scene if I have to adjust say, a character pose I delete the character from the scene, then open the individual character backup I have, make the adjustments and save, close that, reopen the full scene, merge the reposed character in, and key enter the location coordinates and Y axis rotation value (I have those numbers recorded separately)

Faster than trying to make adjustments in the scene file itself as the "weight" of the full scene is extremely "heavy" with 8 characters, environmental effects and  numerous props (including two train sets and vehicles in the background (filesize 8.9 GB with teh Daz programme opened).

OpenGL.  I have the AuxViewport open as well as the regular window (AuxView is set always set for the Main Camera and the regular window for the Perspective view).  Now, I'm not sure about finding out how 'big' the scene is.  The actual .duf file for it is 94Mb, but how do I find out the actual numbers you refer to (polygons & textures)?

Seeing what you go through, I guess I shouldn't be too upset.  I just was expecting the main viewport to respond immediately, not, say, put my mouse over the orbit icon, wait a few seconds for it to change to show it's selected, then be able to swivel the scene.

..open the scene and then go to the Processes tab un IWndows Task Manager and look at how much memory the Daz Programme is using, that will include usage by both the Daz programme (about 300MB) and the uncompressed scene.

I also do not use the Aux Viewport as my old eyes cannot really see much detail with it. I usually set up multiple work cameras and just cycle between them for different views.

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    kyoto kid said:

..open the scene and then go to the Processes tab un IWndows Task Manager and look at how much memory the Daz Programme is using, that will include usage by both the Daz programme (about 300MB) and the uncompressed scene.

I also do not use the Aux Viewport as my old eyes cannot really see much detail with it. I usually set up multiple work cameras and just cycle between them for different views.

Hah... I thought it was some hidden thingin Daz I was looking for.  Task Manager shows my current scene is sitting at 8.5Gb.  I've had it bigger... I think up to 16Gb.  That's why I put 32Gb of RAm in this box, with the option of putting in another 32Gb if I ever feel like it would benefit from it.

...yeah, that's not much smaller than my railway station scene. This is why I am considering a multi 8 core Xeon 128 GB memory build for a dedicated render system and not worrying about GPU rendering. 

This is also why when I build a large scene that has a number of characters (not instanced), I create each character as an separate individual scene subset file after posing, morphing and proofing.  Once I get the lighting and environement the way I want it in the empty setting I then assemble everything together and save it as a new scene  For the characters I put placeholders (a low poly cube primitive) where I want them to be so after I merge each one in I can just copy/paste the character to where the cube is and then turn off the placeholder primitive.

edited January 2017

...I keep running into a vexing issue that whenever I open an image editor programme like PSP and save one file I am working on, every image file on the system defaults to it for viewing.  I like to use Windows Viewer as the default to view an image as it opens instantly instead of having to wait for PSP, or another programme to load.  I know there is some kind of global setting to permanently set the default image viewer, but for the life of me I cannot find where it is (Win 7).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    kyoto kid said:

...I keep running into a vexing issue that whenever I open an image editor programme like PSP and save one file I am working on, every image file on the system defaults to it for viewing.  I like to use Windows Viewer as the default to view an image as it opens instantly instead of having to wait for PSP, or another programme to load.  I know there is some kind of global setting to permanently set the default image viewer, but for the life of me I cannot find where it is (Win 7).

Settings>Control Panel>Default Programs>Set your default programs>Windows Photo Viewer>Set this program as default 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Yaay! next set is finally submitted. Now we wait . . . (I won't say how many o'clocks in the morning I stayed up to get it done, but I was v.annoyed when I got woken up by next door clomping down the stairs at 8am!)

Gonna treat myself to a 

when I go out for lunch/shopping in a bit. smiley

MistyMist said:

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST FRIDAY... * LOCATIONS... NEW YORK CITY... LONG ISLAND... COASTAL SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT... PORTIONS OF NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY... AND SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER COUNTY. * HAZARD TYPES... SNOW. * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 1 TO 4 INCHES. * TIMING... SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE THIS EVENING AND CONTINUES THROUGH RUSH HOUR FRIDAY MORNING. * IMPACTS... SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS LATE TONIGHT THROUGH TOMORROW MORNING. * TEMPERATURES... IN THE UPPER 20S. 

there a big diff between 1 and 4 inches,  4" i wouldnt bother setting my alarm clock.  1" i could still make the bus >.< 

1 inch would bring this country to a grinding halt. But then it must be a good 5 years since we last had an inch of snow here . . . (5 millimetres and gone by lunchtime is more typical)

edited January 2017

Woke up this morning to a whopping half inch of snow!  I expected 5 or 8 inches.  We were lucky, the bands of lake effect snow hit the Buffalo area north of us.  But the temperature here was 14F... which I didn't notice because I was toasty under my 'lectric blanket.smiley

Realised when I went shopping at lunchtime, it's been 3 days since I last left the house! frown

edited January 2017

Woke up this morning to a whopping half inch of snow!  I expected 5 or 8 inches.  We were lucky, the bands of lake effect snow hit the Buffalo area north of us.  But the temperature here was 14F... which I didn't notice because I was toasty under my 'lectric blanket.smiley

This last snowfall is really powdery.  The snow fell all afternoon yesterday but it was just a light mist of single snowflakes gently and slowly drifting down, more like a fog of flakes instead of falling snow.  I bet the skiiers like this stuff.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

The It's Too Cold/Hot Complaint Thread

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited January 2017

No.  That's why it is called absolute zero. 

Then again, our understanding of the universe keeps changing...as do opinions and standards.  So...

No, but maybe.  laugh

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

COMPLAINT  COMPLAINT  COMPLAINT

my lovely beautiful functional excel formulae works fine on my desktop,
    works fine on the shipping clerk pc
    but stops calculating on my manager's laptop.
    he emails it to me, i update the hours field, and it re-calculates just fine.

whisky tango foxtrot 

I could be Home Playing xbox Complaint Thread

calculationformulae.JPG
    588 x 363 - 47K

omg yoo won't believe what it was. 
    had an epiphany ontheloo (don't yoo luv those?!)  
    formula is evaluating a date range.
    he'd changed his os regional settings to show yyyy.mm.dd.  it confused excel.

spreadsheet working now!  i'se takin a well deserved carrara break!!!

morning. hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot night and morning is getting hotter :)

kyoto kid said:

I love this quote from the article in my last post. "Yet the gas is not colder than zero Kelvin, but hotter. It is even hotter than at any positive temperature – the temperature scale simply does not end at infinity, but jumps to negative values instead."  Don't you just love swimming in the quantum ocean? surprise

So how about The Colder than Cold is Hotter than Hot, complaint thread

thanks for the link I get the positional stuff but it all seems to break thermodynamics 0 thru 2 at least, make head asplode :)

edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:

omg yoo won't believe what it was. 
    had an epiphany ontheloo (don't yoo luv those?!)  
    formula is evaluating a date range.
    he'd changed his os regional settings to show yyyy.mm.dd.  it confused excel.

spreadsheet working now!  i'se takin a well deserved carrara break!!!

canonical dates, what a nightmare !

milliseconds since 1972 helps with portability of you have a Date class available with convertt methods 

Post edited by ps1borg on
    Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

Settings>Control Panel>Default Programs>Set your default programs>Windows Photo Viewer>Set this program as default 

...thank you, I knew it had to be somewhere.  

MistyMist said:

1 inch would bring this country to a grinding halt. But then it must be a good 5 years since we last had an inch of snow here . . . (5 millimetres and gone by lunchtime is more typical)

..same happens here in Portland.  The bad part is after it snows and begins to warm up the ground is cold and there is still cold air near the surface so we get this evil stuff called freezing rain.  Heading out to the market in a bit to stock up as it's supposed to start snowing tomorrow and turn to ice Sunday morning.

This discussion has been closed.