The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

...yikes it's getting cold out there.  Went out to get something for dinner and walking back into the gusty wind felt like my eyes were freezing up and it was hard to breathe.  "Real Feel" is 11°. 

does it get that cold in Oregon?

Massachusettes is a cold geology too. 8 ft snow last year. they had to truck it out. 

correlation between cold geology and legal Charlie Band Daniels?

...it can given the right conditions.  Usually it requires a strong east wind from the Columbia gorge which blows in cold air from the eastern part of the state. East of the Cascades it can and does get below zero (F).  The interesting part about this it is often very localised, in that you go say 50 miles south and it would be in the 40s and raining while Portland it is in the 20s and snowing.

I remember one year here in Portland it was around like 10° and we had almost blizzard like conditions.

In the summer it is the opposite as the eastern part of the state gets a lot hotter than the western valleys.  If the wind is out of the east in July and August, we can easily have 100°+ temperatures in Portland.  The hottest I remember in my years here was 106° (one degree shy of the all time record) twice during a week long heat wave back in July of 2009.  That year we had an unprecedented 23 days where temperatures reached 90° or above (including the 100°+ days) the last day being September 22nd when it hit 92°

As for today it is 34° with winds gusting to 31 giving a wind chill factor of 22°.  On Friday morning, it is expected to be 16°.

edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:

cup o joe du jour, literraly, it's called Kick Ass.

i like to call it Whup Ass, been saying Whup Ass all morning.  

The Whup Ass Complaint Thread

The They Glued Gears on my Junk Complaint Thread

..there was an energy drink by that name differnt spelling but same meaning.

whoopass-can_us.jpg
    335 x 640 - 61K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,683

Came home to my computer refusing to boot and now it tells me to wait.  Uggghhh

...win 10?

kyoto kid said:

...win 10?

Been making some progress but not much so yeah

...must be running an update.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

cup o joe du jour, literraly, it's called Kick Ass.

i like to call it Whup Ass, been saying Whup Ass all morning.  

The Whup Ass Complaint Thread

The They Glued Gears on my Junk Complaint Thread

..there was an energy drink by that name differnt spelling but same meaning.

wuhp ass in a can 

Something is wrong with the ram.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006

edited January 2017

tee heeeeee

They Glued Gears on my Gears Complaint Thread

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Happy New Year, everybody.

Been busy with non-art stuff, but I hope you're all well!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006

Someone removed all the ram to look at them then tried to put it all back

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited January 2017

Back in the late 60s or very early 70s I was in college and worked in the computer center and had access to the IBM1130 computer they had.  The memory was core memory (teeny-tiny magnetic donuts woven into a mesh of wires) but much of the rest of the computer was made up of many many individual circuit cards plugged into the backplane of the computer on one end of the card and then linked together in specific order via special flat cables across the other ends of the cards.  One jackass who thought he was a bright bulb also had access to the computer center and took it upon himself one night when the computer wasn't needed, to remove all the circuit cards and examine them.  All fine and well, he didn't break a single one and satisfied his curiosity about what they looked like.  Later that night I and a couple other night computer operators came in to do our jobs and found him sitting on the floor behind the computer with the circuit cards spread in piles all around him.  Incredulously we questioned him if he knew what he was doing and if he could get the computer back up again.  He said: (famous last words) "Don't worry it will only take a couple minutes to put them back in".  Unfortunately, he hadn't noted which slots the cards came from and admitted it, but in his cocky naivete decided it didn't matter.  After he'd reinserted the cards and the numerous flat cables were attached where he thought they should go, he pranced around to the front and made a big show of pushing the big green power button on the console while singing "ta-da", and we all watched the blue smoke come from the ventilation holes in the computer cabinet. indecision I don't know what happened the rest of that night because the rest of us immediately left the building.  The next day a swarm of IBM technicians were there to fix the machine.  I don't know how much it cost but the jackass never worked there again.  (Hmmm..., in fact, I don't remember seeing him around at all after that.)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

my eyes are burning tired, but i got the minotaur legs uvs workin in carrara.  oscar mike gulf, want to test some more before it sinks in, but turned out to be a simple fix lol
    cant believe it
    on the carrara side, will hafta to manually hide the polys the geograft makes invisible

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Tjohn said:

yes

Dana

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

There is an enourmous mob of noisy parrots moving in on the fruit in our old pear tree, a big red and red and white and huge white ones amongst the yellow and blue and green lorikeets, the tree canopy is aaaboutt forty feet across and every inch looks painted right now :)

MistyMist said:

my eyes are burning tired, but i got the minotaur legs uvs workin in carrara.  oscar mike gulf, want to test some more before it sinks in, but turned out to be a simple fix lol
    cant believe it
    on the carrara side, will hafta to manually hide the polys the geograft makes invisible

easy to make the errant polys one surface so you can invisible its material ?

Happy New Year, everybody.

Been busy with non-art stuff, but I hope you're all well!

hungover complaint :)

...still? It's the 4th there where you are.  Must have been one heck of a party.

ps1borg said:

There is an enourmous mob of noisy parrots moving in on the fruit in our old pear tree, a big red and red and white and huge white ones amongst the yellow and blue and green lorikeets, the tree canopy is aaaboutt forty feet across and every inch looks painted right now :)

parrots in a pair tree?

2 turtle doves smiley

doh, the rain, the sog, the bone gnomes - complaint/whine

The BoneGnomes Glued Gears on my achy joints Complaint Thread

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

Wow, just wow.   I caused my old 486 or Pentium computer to reboot when I touched one of the expansion cards while the computer was running.  I think it was the sound card?  I'm guessing that static electricity caused the computer to reboot.

Currently, my power supply fan in my other computer is loud.  Now I have a runny nose from breathing in the dust that is on the computer.  I should clean the outside of the case.  Yuck.

Back in the late 60s or very early 70s I was in college and worked in the computer center and had access to the IBM1130 computer they had.  The memory was core memory (teeny-tiny magnetic donuts woven into a mesh of wires) but much of the rest of the computer was made up of many many individual circuit cards plugged into the backplane of the computer on one end of the card and then linked together in specific order via special flat cables across the other ends of the cards. (snip...)

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

Grrrrrr..... spent over $2500 to build a new computer for Daz, and it STILL lags when I try to select the orbit control and then spin the scene, as well as when I try to highlight (to select) the movement arrow on a Translate movement icon on an object.

You would think that Win7 (64bit), 32Gb DDR4, 6-core i7 and a 850 SSD HDD (C:) would be good enough for smooth operations....

Gah.... what does this thing want???

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited January 2017

In my decades working in computer centers I witnessed a couple of fires.  I was in the room when an UPS blew up and burned.  I paniced and searched for a way to cut power.  When I found the power panel in the hall I threw all the switches and cut power to the three other companies on that floor. blush.  In the '90s I watched a badly designed disk drive controller (big honking circuit board in a big chassis in a rack) burst into flames and because of the forced air cooling from the false floor, the chimney effect of the rack caused the flames to shoot a couple feet out the top of the 6 foot tall rack. surprise When I was a consultant for big iron HP system two of us were sent to St. Louis to install a big system for the power company.  I was the software guy and the other guy was the hardware tech.  I was busy installing software on one machine already there and he was installing a new identical machine to be used as a parallel system in case of failure of the primary.  Unfortunately he didn't realize that the power in the rack was 220v and the out-of-the box new computer was set for 110v and the same power cord was used for both.  Oops!  After the sparks stopped flying the machine didn't want to behave properly.  I had to come back a couple weeks later to finish my failover software setup.indecision

After I'd semi-retired I started repairing people's home PC and I've seen some interesting home remedies.  One PC came to me with a memory socket snapped off by someone applying too much pressure sideways.  I've seen CPU heat sinks held on with rubber bands.  I've seen enough dust in a machine to stuff a pillow with.  I've seen dust mixed with cigarette smoke thick enough to  spread on toast.  I've watched the fan of a CPU heat sink stuck in gooey dust break its plastic shaft and helicopter up and skitter across the ceiling. laugh And I too have caused myself grief by breathing dust from a computer.crying  Now days I take it outside, get the wind to my back and wear a dust mask when blowing out the dust.enlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Morning. A bit of a cool breeze stirring treetops and blowing away the muggy hot night a little after dawn :)

kyoto kid said:

...still? It's the 4th there where you are.  Must have been one heck of a party.

Worked right up to christmas weekend this year so had the momentum for  a couple of party weeks, slowing right down nao :)

Stryder87 said:

Grrrrrr..... spent over $2500 to build a new computer for Daz, and it STILL lags when I try to select the orbit control and then spin the scene, as well as when I try to highlight (to select) the movement arrow on a Translate movement icon on an object.

You would think that Win7 (64bit), 32Gb DDR4, 6-core i7 and a 850 SSD HDD (C:) would be good enough for smooth operations....

Gah.... what does this thing want???

all the open GL hardware and drivers is up to date?

MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:

parrots in a pair tree?

2 turtle doves smiley

all quiet so far this morning, don' mind sharing bit noisy and messy iz not so great on a real hangover hot day :)

Wow, just wow.   I caused my old 486 or Pentium computer to reboot when I touched one of the expansion cards while the computer was running.  I think it was the sound card?  I'm guessing that static electricity caused the computer to reboot.

Currently, my power supply fan in my other computer is loud.  Now I have a runny nose from breathing in the dust that is on the computer.  I should clean the outside of the case.  Yuck.

Back in the late 60s or very early 70s I was in college and worked in the computer center and had access to the IBM1130 computer they had.  The memory was core memory (teeny-tiny magnetic donuts woven into a mesh of wires) but much of the rest of the computer was made up of many many individual circuit cards plugged into the backplane of the computer on one end of the card and then linked together in specific order via special flat cables across the other ends of the cards. (snip...)

did it tingle ? :)

Worse nightmare really, stuff catching fire is always the last thing you expected when it happens :)

This discussion has been closed.