The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 2016
    Tjohn said:

useBeta.jpg
    500 x 680 - 40K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

And a merry Feast of St Stephen to you all! (a good day for any good kings to look out . . .)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,687
    Tjohn said:

Where is everyone?

Peeple doin' Christmasy stuff. laugh

Okay!

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited December 2016
    ps1borg said:

keeping out of the rain

Been there! yes  However, the year I was there it had been very very dry and the little waterhole on the north side was almost dried up.  I walked around Uluru instead of climbing it.  It's about three miles around.  I made it all the way around in about 2 hours and even climbed to the top of "Little Uluru" (a separate 25 foot peak at the other end of the rock).  The rest of the group I was with did the full climb but I got back to the bus before they did.  I think I had the more interesting experience.  Lots of little canyons and overhangs and ancient writings to investigate and photograph.  I started the climb and got up about as far as "Chicken Rock" about 50 feet up (short of where the safety guide chain begins) and decided this was going to be a long hot boring trek after the first 15 minutes, so I came back down and started walking around it. 

Interesting factoid around the name "Chicken Rock".  The climb up Uluru goes up the ridge of the least steep incline.  It's relatively easy to get up to "Chicken Rock" about 50 feet up but then the incline increases a little.  The surface of Uluru is relatively smooth sandstone but with shallow flat chunks weathered out of it.  You need good traction shoes.  The safety guide chain begins after about another 50 feet of walking.  You sit there leaning on and resting at "Chicken Rock" and ponder your forthcoming attempt to reach the chain.  You look back down the smooth face of Uluru to the ground 5 stories below you, you look up at the steeper climb to the chain, you look further up the still steeper climb to where the rock meets the sky and do the math in your head knowing that you've only come about 1/50th of the way to the top, and it's been the easiest part.  You do this sequence a few times.  Then you look up at the sun, and you look out at the desert from your 50 foot perch, you wipe sweat from your brow, you look at the hundreds of people marching like little ants up the ridge following the chain, and you remember that you walk to a different drummer and don't need to follow the crowd.  Then you remember the plea of the natives not to climb their sacred rock and the warnings on the signs about not straying off the path when on top.  You remember the stories you've read about people who slid down the side of Uluru or got into an unrecoverable situation, and then you look back out over the desert and say to yourself, "Self, the desert is going to look just like this only higher when I get to the top.", then you chicken out!

The images below are from my trip.  The first only shows about a third of the climb path length and I've got "Chicken Rock" too far up the slope.

The second picture is my view from Chicken Rock.  The trees on the desert floor are rather stunted and only about 15 or maybe 20 foot tall.  The ridge in the far distance is about a mile away at the other end of Uluru.

UluruAnts.jpg
    1000 x 700 - 108K
    ViewFromChickenRock.jpg
    1000 x 684 - 144K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

My tablet will not connect to the internet today.  The tablet can connect to the wireless router but it cannot access any website.  I can access the internet from my desktop though.  Weird.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

And we liked it!

I ordered a thing for my Keurig and some earrings this morning from amazon with Christmas money.  This afternoon I checked with amazon to see the status of it.  I was pretty sure that I ordered it originally with free prime shipping.  After the chat with Amazon that reasured me everything was okay, I checked the order summery and saw an almost 8 dollar shipping and handling charge.  I might have been tired but I remembered wanting free shipping and handling.  I contacted them again and they removed the shipping and handling fee.  I cannot afford the order with an extra eight dollars charge, but now I can afford it with the price I originally wanted.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Tjohn said:

And we liked it!

I always played one at a time after I found out how bad that was for the records and for the motor of the player.  When the vinyl drops, at first is skids a little on the already moving platter, on top of the record before it.  That results in the grooves, or mountains, being slightly ground on both records.  After time, it degrades the recording.  I was very careful with my vinyl...I didn't have much money and didn't have a collection of hundreds.

Dana

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

And we liked it!

I always played one at a time after I found out how bad that was for the records and for the motor of the player.  When the vinyl drops, at first is skids a little on the already moving platter, on top of the record before it.  That results in the grooves, or mountains, being slightly ground on both records.  After time, it degrades the recording.  I was very careful with my vinyl...I didn't have much money and didn't have a collection of hundreds.

Dana

I still have mine.  Lots of memories attached to them.

edited December 2016

Morning. Gloomy grey overcast struggling to give up more than a few fat drops of rain settling on us like hot fog, sunrise was wasted on us today :0

w.jpg
    450 x 360 - 20K
    edited December 2016

I want to take a bath but that means I have to take my new Christmas vest off.  o_0

edit: that might also mean I have to get off the computer too and not just take my new Christmas vest off.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited December 2016
    ps1borg said:

keeping out of the rain

Been there! yes  However, the year I was there it had been very very dry and the little waterhole on the north side was almost dried up.  I walked around Uluru instead of climbing it.  It's about three miles around.  I made it all the way around in about 2 hours and even climbed to the top of "Little Uluru" (a separate 25 foot peak at the other end of the rock).  The rest of the group I was with did the full climb but I got back to the bus before they did.  I think I had the more interesting experience.  Lots of little canyons and overhangs and ancient writings to investigate and photograph.  I started the climb and got up about as far as "Chicken Rock" about 50 feet up (short of where the safety guide chain begins) and decided this was going to be a long hot boring trek after the first 15 minutes, so I came back down and started walking around it. 

Interesting factoid around the name "Chicken Rock".  The climb up Uluru goes up the ridge of the least steep incline.  It's relatively easy to get up to "Chicken Rock" about 50 feet up but then the incline increases a little.  The surface of Uluru is relatively smooth sandstone but with shallow flat chunks weathered out of it.  You need good traction shoes.  The safety guide chain begins after about another 50 feet of walking.  You sit there leaning on and resting at "Chicken Rock" and ponder your forthcoming attempt to reach the chain.  You look back down the smooth face of Uluru to the ground 5 stories below you, you look up at the steeper climb to the chain, you look further up the still steeper climb to where the rock meets the sky and do the math in your head knowing that you've only come about 1/50th of the way to the top, and it's been the easiest part.  You do this sequence a few times.  Then you look up at the sun, and you look out at the desert from your 50 foot perch, you wipe sweat from your brow, you look at the hundreds of people marching like little ants up the ridge following the chain, and you remember that you walk to a different drummer and don't need to follow the crowd.  Then you remember the plea of the natives not to climb their sacred rock and the warnings on the signs about not straying off the path when on top.  You remember the stories you've read about people who slid down the side of Uluru or got into an unrecoverable situation, and then you look back out over the desert and say to yourself, "Self, the desert is going to look just like this only higher when I get to the top.", then you chicken out!

The images below are from my trip.  The first and only shows about a third of the climb path length and I've got "Chicken Rock" too far up the slope.

The second picture is my view from Chicken Rock.  The trees on the desert floor are rather stunted and only about 15 or maybe 20 foot tall.  The ridge in the far distance is about a mile away at the other end of Uluru.

Big monsson wet in the red centre right now, lots of flooding, Uluru is being evacuated and ppl are heading for the coast. Must be warmish further south  because sharks have turned up in our bay the past few days :(

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

And we liked it!

Dana

Yes,   when my big brother built me my first record player he refused to make it an autochanger for just that reason.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 2016
    Tjohn said:

And we liked it!

...yeah I remember the "auto changer"   Indeed bad for the records and a more complex mechanism meaning more thigns that could go wrong. Had one of these old turntables on which when something in it wore out, it would lift the tonearm in the middle of a piece move it back to the side, wait like it was dropping another record, and then return to the beginning of the record it was originally playing again.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited December 2016
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

And we liked it!

Dana

Many records (especially LPs) had a slightly raised outer edge and I had always assumed that was to permit the raised edges to let the record flex when it dropped so that the paper label touched the one below it yet the slight separation at the edge would keep the groves from touching.  Admittedly 45s seemed to be completely flat and prone to damage but most everybody grabbed them with greasy fingers, tossed them in piles on their bed, and otherwise mistreated them anyway.  Even as a grade schooler I cringed everytime I watched a friend mistreat a record.

And as far as damage during playing, you can't beat the old lacquer 78s played on a Gramophone.  If you had read the instructions for a Gramophone you knew that it came with a box of steel needles.  500 in each box.  Each needle was to be used only once because after about 6 or 7 minutes (usual playing time of a 78, total both sides) the needle would wear and create a sharp cutting edge so if you used it on the next record it would shave out a bit of the grove.sad  However, there were also needles made of catus thorns that were less damaging but still intended for one use.  Actually if you read the instructions, the thorn needles were used to give you a measure of tone control because they sounded more mellow than the steel needles.surprise

We had a Gramophone and a bunch of typical 1920's records but we also had a complete piano concerto (Beethoven's #5 "Emperor") and it took a lot of records in the box! surprise  Can you imagine having to change the record every 3 minutes and change the needle too?  Not very conducive for leaning back and having a nap while the music plays. sad  I guess you had the "help" do that for you. enlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 2016

...Boxing Day 'plaint.  Had to upgrade to the latest version of FF as YouTube slowly became almost useless and any embedded videos in FB would set of a situation to where it kept flip flopping back and forth between the Timeline page and FB video player without ever playing the video itself.

This version also seems to be slower, take more system resources (not good on my 32 bit notebook with only 2 GB available for programmes), and for some reason on these forums, the "loading" swirly in the tab keeps going round and round without ever stopping even though the page has completely loaded.  Tried to update to a slightly older version of FF, but now all you get when you click on the list of previous releases, all you get are these long lists of file folders with no apparent installer. 

Really hate planned obsolescence.

I figured out I can put the Christmas vest back on after my shower.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

survived christmas festivities? 

edited December 2016

...oh and for some reason the new version of FF doesn't want to play well with the weather service site I usually use (keeps kicking me to some stupid page titled "404 Help") and I still get a No Valid Source error when trying to watch Weather Channel videos. 

So much for an "upgrade".

edited December 2016
    MistyMist said:

so far so good, only four more sleeps until peak party :0

br.jpg
    696 x 439 - 35K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    atticanne said:
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

And we liked it!

Dana

I still have mine.  Lots of memories attached to them.

Mine as well.  I taught myself bass from them.  Beatles: Abby Road, Steppenwolf: Monster and For Ladies Only, Led Zeppelin first four albums, Chicago first four albums, BS&T album with Spinning Wheel, Yes: Fragile, ELP first couple of albums, Jethro Tull: Stand Up, a bunch of Three Dog Night albums, Cold Blood: Sisyphus, Santana and Abraxass, Cream: Goodbye, King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King, Ten Years After with Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Cactus, Mountain.  I'm probably forgetting some.  A couple four hours every day after school.

Dana

...If I listed the old albums and 45s I have (sans my classical collection), it would read like a Casey Kasem playlist (my first record ever was Beep Beep which I got for Christmas along with both a '59 Nash Ramber wagon and '59 Cadillac friction toy car).

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

• Aha, so this is where I can leave my complaints about the awesome Daz Christmas sales & freebies :)

So here's my complaint: it's. too. awesome! surprise

Currenrly downloading 62 freebies, and it seems that it's going to take a little longer. Darn you Daz for giving us all this awesome stuff to play with :)

And Happy Holidays everyone

ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

so far so good, only four more sleeps until peak party :0

i'll toast to that !  Cheers, clink, bottoms up, refill, ...  tee hee

mann i'se is glad for the flu shot this year. everyone around me coughing, shnizzeling.

wearing garlic and cross >.<

didn't get much done in my excel prokect today.  only 3 more days to finish it. 

pour the caffeine, please !!

Morning. Everything that can is heading for shelter and our trees kinda squaring shoulders and hunkering down against some  wild weather blowing in a little after sunrise :)

MistyMist said:

didn't get much done in my excel prokect today.  only 3 more days to finish it. 

pour the caffeine, please !!

Seems to have been a bad year for Space Queens and Princesses too :)

Tjohn said:

Prime numbers rule :)

This discussion has been closed.