The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited December 2016

"Nimrod", a much used word.  Lots of meanings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod_(disambiguation)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 2016

It's New Year season and we all know the tune to Auld Lang Syne but did you realize all classical music is a variation of that theme? (not really but this is a lot of fun if you recognize any of the 152 classical themes in this "Fantasia on Auld Lang Syne")  As with much classical music, the end takes you for a ride. smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ7VEXOWYUk

by Ernest Tomlinson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Tomlinson

I recognize a great many of them but they go by so quickly and naming them without hours of research or re-listening is beyond my old brain.  Any takers? 

Here's a starter:

What....................................................................................... Time

Dvorak's "New World Symphony" ---------------------------------------8:26

Offenbach's "Can Can" ----------------------------------------------------13:14

Kachaturian's "Sabre Dance" --------------------------------------------14:51

Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" ------------------------------------------16:03

Chopin's "Funeral March" --------------------------------------------------2:53

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony ---------------------------------------------3:38

Waldenteufel's "Skater's Waltz" -------------------------------------------8:21

and on and on and on ......

Aha! They played that on a Radio 3 concert many years ago, and I haven't heard it since. I'd thought it was a one-off for the occasion. I haven't had time to listen through (and anyway Rachmaninov is Rhapsodising on Paganini) but somewhere in there there should be Nimrod from the Enigma Variations.

I'm glad you rediscovered it here. 

I have a piece like that that has eluded me for over 20 years.  One Christmas my other half and I were driving through a snowy Pennsylvania at night and on the car radio from some religious station (which is about all there is in central Pennsylvania) was playing a series of Christmas carols.  What struck me about them was that it started out with a single instrument.  Then as each new carol was played it either had a different instrument or a few more instruments.  No vocals at all throughout the whole thing.  The instrumental intensity kept building until at the end, the full orchestra was involved.  It was marvelous, wonderful, inspiring! smiley We listened carefully at the end to hear the announcer tell the name of the piece that was just played but they never did and just went full force into their dogmatic proselytizing which spoiled the whole mood that the music had given us. frown Since then I've looked in music stores and bought many Christmas CDs and browsed on-line for anything that might be it for over 20 years but without luck. sad  And I've never heard it again.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586

What is the difference between public build and regular build for DS?

• It's New Year season and we all know the tune to Auld Lang Syne but did you realize all classical music is a variation of that theme? (not really but this is a lot of fun if you recognize any of the 152 classical themes in this "Fantasia on Auld Lang Syne")  As with much classical music, the end takes you for a ride. smiley

I recognize a great many of them but they go by so quickly and naming them without hours of research or re-listening is beyond my old brain.  Any takers? 

Here's a starter:

What....................................................................................... Time

Aha! They played that on a Radio 3 concert many years ago, and I haven't heard it since. I'd thought it was a one-off for the occasion. I haven't had time to listen through (and anyway Rachmaninov is Rhapsodising on Paganini) but somewhere in there there should be Nimrod from the Enigma Variations.

I have a piece like that that has eluded me for over 20 years.  One Christmas my other half and I were driving through a snowy Pennsylvania at night and on the car radio from some religious station (which is all there is in central Pennsylvania) was playing a series of Christmas carols.  What struck me about them was that it started out with a single instrument then as each new carol was played it either had a different instrument or a few more instruments.  No vocals at all throughout the whole thing.  The instrumental intensity kept building until at the end, the full orchestra was involved.  It was marvelous, wonderful, inspiring! smiley We listened carefully at the end to hear the announcer tell the name of the piece that was just played but they never did and just went full force into their dogmatic proselytizing which spoiled the whole mood that the music had given us. frown Since then I've looked in music stores and bought many Christmas CDs and browsed on-line for anything that might be it for over 20 years but without luck. sad  And I've never heard it again.

I assume you've checked A Christmas Carol Symphony by Victor Hely Hutchinson?

• It's New Year season and we all know the tune to Auld Lang Syne but did you realize all classical music is a variation of that theme? (not really but this is a lot of fun if you recognize any of the 152 classical themes in this "Fantasia on Auld Lang Syne")  As with much classical music, the end takes you for a ride. smiley

Here's a starter:

I have a piece like that that has eluded me for over 20 years.  One Christmas my other half and I were driving through a snowy Pennsylvania at night and on the car radio from some religious station (which is all there is in central Pennsylvania) was playing a series of Christmas carols.  What struck me about them was that it started out with a single instrument then as each new carol was played it either had a different instrument or a few more instruments.  No vocals at all throughout the whole thing.  The instrumental intensity kept building until at the end, the full orchestra was involved.  It was marvelous, wonderful, inspiring! smiley We listened carefully at the end to hear the announcer tell the name of the piece that was just played but they never did and just went full force into their dogmatic proselytizing which spoiled the whole mood that the music had given us. frown Since then I've looked in music stores and bought many Christmas CDs and browsed on-line for anything that might be it for over 20 years but without luck. sad  And I've never heard it again.

Yep, not the one.  Wunderbar, but no cigar! sad

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501

Complaint: The "Nimrod" variation from Elgar's Enigma Variations had always been a favorite of mine.  Very beautiful and solemn.  Unfortunately last year, the Chautauqua Symphony Orchestra opened its season last year with a tribute to one of their longest term violinists who had been violently murdered just after the close of the previous year's season.  The master of ceremonies announced that the opening piece would be Nimrod in her honor and also made the usual plea for cell phones and gadgets to be turned off.  The piece only takes a few minutes so you'd think people could be respectful.  Unfortunately the woman next to me had a tablet with her and was watching dog and cat videos during the tribute.  I know, because the light and the moving images were an absolute distraction.  I was really trying to ignore it and concentrate on the music.  I know she felt somewhat guilty because she was trying to hide the fact that she found on-line comedy more interesting than the few minutes of special musical tribute.  After the piece was over I asked her in a voice intentionally meant to be heard two rows above and below me that I hope she found her cat videos as entertaining as the rest of us did the music and asked her if she realized how terribly distracting tablets are especially after we were asked to put them away.  This had the desired effect of getting 20 people around me looking at me curiously and then at her disapprovingly.  She then hid her tablet and sat there fuming.  Her husband sat there not saying a word.  Based on their interactions before the concert began I think he was mentally rolling on floor laughing and enjoying that someone had the nerve to call her out.  A few minutes later she got up and left the amphitheater but her husband stayed for the rest of the concert.  I'm such a beast! devil  Unfortunately now everytime I hear the "Nimrod" variation I think of that incident.

Variation #9 "Nimrod" of Elgar's "Enigma Variations" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LounIThU_8

...yes

Got Dolly converted to Genesis 3 via GenX   Need to do Olly next.

edited December 2016

...really can't wait until 00.01 Sunday Morning.  Not just that this has been a pretty terrible year for celebrities, but I'll finally stop getting all those emails  nagging me for donations and contributions before year's end.  Already had 100 in the inbox at 9:30 this morning, usually that early I have less than a third that amount (which after I tagged all the ones soliciting donations and clicked "Mark as Read" was about that was left).

...The I Haven't Won The Lotto Yet So Don't Ask Me For Donations Complaint Thread.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2016

It's New Year season and we all know the tune to Auld Lang Syne but did you realize all classical music is a variation of that theme? (not really but this is a lot of fun if you recognize any of the 152 classical themes in this "Fantasia on Auld Lang Syne")  As with much classical music, the end takes you for a ride. smiley

Here's a starter:

Well 2 pieces of music I admit to never having heard before,   so Thank you both for opening my eyes (or should that be ears)

Post edited by Chohole on

..agh, had to let my PC membership lapse again as I'm too broke to renew right now.  Never got ot use this month's PA coupon, but did manage ot use the PC one to get the Construction Worker Clothing for a total of 99¢.

Was nice though to get a 3 month one at half price just before the PC Anniversary Sale. Maybe I'll renew "next year".

edited December 2016

Found an album in my Amazon music collection called pure McCarthy or something like that.  It has about sIxty some songs and is about four hours long.

Edit how is his name really spelled?  I spelled it wrong me thinks

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Hot cross buns and mini eggs already in the shops! :(

What is the difference between public build and regular build for DS?

Public Builds are public betas for the next regular release. There are also Private Builds, but they're restricted to inside the company.

edited December 2016

Found an album in my Amazon music collection called pure McCarthy or something like that.  It has about sIxty some songs and is about four hours long.

...well, never considered Senators Joseph or Eugene, nor the Packer's head coach, Mike to be very...um..."musical", so yeah, must be a typo.

kyoto kid said:

...well, never considered Senators Joseph or Eugene, nor the Packer's head coach, Mike to be very...um..."musical", so yeah, must be a typo.

I meant this guy

mccartney.png
    830 x 547 - 328K

...ahh yes, "Paulie"  I remember seeing him once with three other lads, something like 50 or so years ago. Wasn't bad except for all the girls screaming and for some reason, tossing jellybeans at the stage.(sitting in the 4th row, got pelted with several myself).

Yeah, he was the real "heart throb" back then, the "baby faced" one as he was called.

kyoto kid said:

...ahh yes, "Paulie"  I remember seeing him once with three other lads, something like 50 or so years ago. Wasn't bad except for all the girls screaming and for some reason, tossing jellybeans at the stage.(sitting in the 4th row, got pelted with several myself).

Yeah, he was the real "heart throb" back then, the "baby faced" one as he was called.

Yes that Paul McCartney!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

oh no mr bill

kiss fell of peanutbutter cookie.

mebbe a lindt ball on the cookie, or half a 1, 

i got the Tempest dvd version with russel brand.  tempest my favorite 1 even though i dont really understand whats going on.
    shakespeare marathon, 
    got mid summer night with michelle pfeifer
    romeo n julie with olivia h.

and homemade peanutbutter kiss cookies 

"Nimrod", a much used word.  Lots of meanings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod_(disambiguation)

nimotoads was on spongebob

seein Xbox One S - Minecraft Bundle, for 230.  could play witcher3 on this 

dohhhh reaaly shouldnt, but witcher3. geraltheart

...so anyone out there kow about dealing with smart phone issues (not an i-Phone, whatever the other phone OS is)? 

I was clearing some uneeded  tabs when it suddenly just froze up.  I tried cycling the power off, waiting and turning it back on but it is stuck on the same screen and none of  the on screen controls work.  I am not even sure of the battery status as it has been on for about 20 min straight now and neither the charge indicator or the displayed time has changed. 

edited December 2016
    kyoto kid said:

...so anyone out there kow about dealing with smart phone issues (not an i-Phone, whatever the other phone OS is)? 

I was clearing some uneeded  tabs when it suddenly just froze up.  I tried cycling the power off, waiting and turning it back on but it is stuck on the same screen and none of  the on screen controls work.  I am not even sure of the battery status as it has been on for about 20 min straight now and neither the charge indicator or the displayed time has changed. 

Turning it off and on might not be completely adequate.  It if were me I'd pull the battery out for a few minutes.  Or find a tiny hole to stick a paperclip wire into to force a reset (not the headphone jack!!!). Or find the manual and see if there is another way to force complete reset.   But a one pound sharp rock dropped onto it from three feet works wonders too.  It then works exactly as expected for its condition. frown

...well the wire trick did nothing and am unable to find a panel to open to get to the battery.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    kyoto kid said:

...well the wire trick did nothing and am unable to find a panel to open to get to the battery.

Did you try to Google it?  You can find all sorts of helpful tutorials there, not just how to use a 3D modeling program.  I found one that helped me get Diane's iPod open to replace the battery.

Dana

edited December 2016

...actually found and downloaded the user manual (easier  to read as the print on the hardcopy version is so bloody small it's tough to see even with glasses on).  It did show how to pull the back cover off but I don't have nimble enough fingers nor a decent grip anymore to do so.  Fortunately one of the folks in the place where I live came home and was able to open it so I could pull the battery out, wait the prescribed time, then replace it. That did the trick and it is working fine again.  I was afraid if I kept struggling on my own, I'd either break the back cover, or both parts would fly out of my hands in different directions and end up on the floor in several more pieces.

This is why I am still pushing an SS Disability appeal.  I wouldn't even be good at a grunt work assembly job.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Had some weather here and Melbourne got a bit smashed by flash floods - as usual our old place is OK but some of the newer cardboard and cement in  the hood isn't looking so clever today :)

MistyMist said:

The Wingless Wyrm never goes on sale Complaint Thread

the wendyluvscatz never reads this complaint thread?

oh wait I am now blush

you got our weather ps1borg, it took out most of Adelaide  and SA

so we sent it east ...

Wasn't too bad where we are, some floods in the usual places & the power is still on, at least the rain didn't turn to ice on the way down, hate those hailstorms on  100 degree days ;) 

Iz 9 minutes to 2017 here, the whole city stinks of fireworks (gunpowder?) acrid anyhow

MistyMist said:

there are Knights who say NIM :)

ps1borg said:

Iz 9 minutes to 2017 here, the whole city stinks of fireworks (gunpowder?) acrid anyhow

Happy New year's day to you!  Happy New year's eve to others

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I am old enough to remember when it wasn't fireworks that welcomed in the New year.    As we then lived alongside the River Thames, which was still a working river, we would get serenaded by Ship's whistles and horns.   Other places it might be church bells  or various sirens.

edited December 2016
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

there are Knights who say NIM :)

Toss the "M" in the shubbery and you've got it right.  smiley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo

This discussion has been closed.