Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Eximorph, that hair looks real! Great job!

Riggswolfe, I think you are a harsh critic because that image has a lot of emotion in it (for an expressionless guy in a bubble window..., LOL) It's definitely 'lump in throat" worthy....

Dievans, that World Builder is SIIIIICK! TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL! :D

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Really nice job!

• EximorphEximorph Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Holly.
    I wasn't happy with Genesis' low poly head, so I made my own skullcap. I rigged it in DS for auto-fit.
    Now, I've been making hair.

V5LongHair.jpg
    600 x 800 - 83K
    Skullcap.jpg
    480 x 640 - 15K
  • RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Riggswolfe, I think you are a harsh critic because that image has a lot of emotion in it (for an expressionless guy in a bubble window..., LOL) It's definitely 'lump in throat" worthy....

Dievans, that World Builder is SIIIIICK! TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL! :D

Thank you Holly. I've been playing with Genesis rendering in Cararra but am having a problem recreating a scene I did in Daz. Pure Hair Candy won't load at all. It appears to be a duplicate ID error but I have the latest hair and it doesn't help one little bit unfortunately.

edited December 1969

This is a fairly simplistic render and was just a test of Anything Glows. I wanted to see if I could use it to make a room look like it was lit by the overhead lamp in the room. I think for the most part this was a successful test, if a somewhat boring render. :)

TheRoomAnythingGlowsTest.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 441K
  • sircamillosircamillo Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

My latest Carrara render.

Camillo

My-City.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 224K
    edited December 1969

Are the objects outside actual elements in the scene or is it a background picture? Awesome render. I'm very jealous.

edited December 1969

A low angle render of the rear view of the Cygnus model I found at Foundation3D. I've extensively re-shaded it swapping out maybe 95%+ of the included image maps in favor of Carrara's procedural shaders. I also didn't use any glow channel except on the red antenna lights and incidental running lights. Everything else is all lights. I used the translucency channel with a series of mixers for noise and lines. I think I'm finally done with the shading and the lights.

rear_3-4_cygnus.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

This is a fairly simplistic render and was just a test of Anything Glows. I wanted to see if I could use it to make a room look like it was lit by the overhead lamp in the room. I think for the most part this was a successful test, if a somewhat boring render. :)

Looks like you're coming along nicely with your lighting. What's the semi-transparent thing on the far left, just in frame?

edited December 1969

That's actually a shower curtain. The room I rendered is a sci-fi spaceship crew quarters style room and so it has the shower in the same room. I love your Cygnus render though I notice the tower isn't lit up. Still, that's a beautiful representation of that ship. I played around with that model trying to make the windows work with glow but it didn't look very good.

edited December 1969

The tower dome is open on the front and is lit. I was setting up for an animation and liked the angle, so I was a little sloppy with the lighting as the scene wasn't fully set up yet.

edited December 1969

The tower dome is open on the front and is lit. I was setting up for an animation and liked the angle, so I was a little sloppy with the lighting as the scene wasn't fully set up yet.

It looks amazing. I was just being nitpicky. Sorry. I'm actually very jealous of how amazing it looks! I've got a render ready to show. It's another Sci-fi render. I used some stuff from these forums about making a planet and just started playing.

Phaeton_approaches_Penal_Station.jpg
    1080 x 500 - 111K
    edited December 2012

It looks amazing. I was just being nitpicky. Sorry. I'm actually very jealous of how amazing it looks! I've got a render ready to show. It's another Sci-fi render. I used some stuff from these forums about making a planet and just started playing.

I don't consider it nit-picky at all.

I see you've been getting some practice in. Looking good so far.

If you or anybody else is interested, I may start a thread for lighting space scenes, where people can share their ideas, tips and tricks.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

I don't consider it nit-picky at all.

I see you've been getting some practice in. Looking good so far.

If you or anybody else is interested, I may start a thread for lighting space scenes, where people can share their ideas, tips and tricks.

I'd be VERY interested. I struggled forever trying to get the planet lit on the side the 'sun' is.

edited December 1969

I started a thread here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13170/

If anybody has any ideas, tips, tricks, pictures- Please post so we all can learn.

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    edited December 2012

Model made in anim8or yrs ago, backdrop started in bryce composited with apophysis render in photoshop.
    planet is all carrara 7 with a mod shader that includes backdrop image.
    Firey effect on planet is fog primitive.
    a little post work in photoshop

Edited: Fog not Cloud primitive sorry

12_12_12b_pw.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 390K
    Post edited by A3DLover on
    edited December 1969

A3DLover said:
    Model made in anim8or yrs ago, backdrop started in bryce composited with apophysis render in photoshop.
    Firey effect on planet is cloud primitive.

Nice use of the clouds. I've had good luck using volumetric clouds for nebulas.

edited December 2012

A3DLover said:
    Firey effect on planet is cloud primitive.

Nice use of the clouds. I've had good luck using volumetric clouds for nebulas.
    Theres no cloud primitive in that render,lol.
    There is a fog primitive inside a sphere with 3d aura enabled.
    The fractal render was heavily smudged out in photoshop.
    The two images below were postworked in photoshop to make
    the background in the first render.
    Edit Sorry i meant fog primitive, i have a really bad time with clouds in carrara

1280x1280_starfield.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 146K
    10_27_12b.jpg
    1280 x 768 - 854K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

A3DLover, that background in your image is just GORGEOUS !!!

Heck, you could even get rid of the spaceship and have a beautiful image...

And in the light of an honest critique only intended to help, and in no way intended to offend anyone in any way whatsoever....

Personally, I think the spaceship totally ruins the image. The lighting on the ship doesn't match the background lighting, and is far too well lit, especially the front of the craft. There's incredible drama in the background, but the ship's lighting is just blah....

You might want so move the ship to off on the right hand side or something and make it really, really small, to give a sense of drama of impending disaster or something as it heads for that gnarly planet. Or just make the ship so small you can't see it :)

But seriously, step back a bit and consider what the real sources of light would be in that situation. In space there's only one or two light sources, which are the sun (or nearby stars or whatever) and any reflected light off nearby objects/planets. There's really nothing that would light your ship like that.

And if you are gonna have the ship in the scene, I think you're missing an opportunity to show the interest of the ship's texture by having it all a dull gray.

Anyway, I hope that doesn't offend you in any way, nor does it offend anyone on your behalf, nor does it offend anyone who might like gray spaceships.

edited December 2012

A3DLover, that background in your image is just GORGEOUS !!!

Heck, you could even get rid of the spaceship and have a beautiful image...

And in the light of an honest critique only intended to help, and in no way intended to offend anyone in any way whatsoever....

Personally, I think the spaceship totally ruins the image. The lighting on the ship doesn't match the background lighting, and is far too well lit, especially the front of the craft. There's incredible drama in the background, but the ship's lighting is just blah....

You might want so move the ship to off on the right hand side or something and make it really, really small, to give a sense of drama of impending disaster or something as it heads for that gnarly planet. Or just make the ship so small you can't see it :)

But seriously, step back a bit and consider what the real sources of light would be in that situation. In space there's only one or two light sources, which are the sun (or nearby stars or whatever) and any reflected light off nearby objects/planets. There's really nothing that would light your ship like that.

And if you are gonna have the ship in the scene, I think you're missing an opportunity to show the interest of the ship's texture by having it all a dull gray.

Anyway, I hope that doesn't offend you in any way, nor does it offend anyone on your behalf, nor does it offend anyone who might like gray spaceships.

Your completely right about the lighting on spaceship, its not realistic.
    Theres two distance lights in the scene with intensity set to 50 percent and shadows at 50 percent.
    The bulb flare is set to 0 intensity.
    The odd lighting is a hdr file that doesnt match the background.
    The spaceship model has almost 600 parts to it totally unmapped.
    When i modeled it in anim8or years ago i had the modeler set to
    "create new object" for each new mesh, boy was that a mistake lol.
    If your like me you probably have noticed that 304 class stargate ship
    changes over the series franchise and the studio has different versions for different shots.

And true enough plain gray shader is plain.
    Below is another carrara render, the color on the ship is actually the hdr file illuminating the model
    while texture shader is something i made in photoshop and the shader editor in carrara.

Feel free to CnC anything of mine anytime.

10_04_11_daedalus.jpg
    1380 x 840 - 170K
    edited December 1969

I liked both of your renders A3DLover. You created this spaceship? Is it for sale or otherwise available? I love that more gritty style of ship as opposed to the retro or 'clean' styles I see so often.

edited December 1969

I liked both of your renders A3DLover. You created this spaceship? Is it for sale or otherwise available? I love that more gritty style of ship as opposed to the retro or 'clean' styles I see so often.

i wouldnt say "created" more like modeled it from reference images found on the web.
    Heres my free stuff http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=A3DLover
    You can find "my Daedalus" version there.
    I should go and re adjust my preferences there to allow commercial use of my models.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

I must agree;
    Cool ship! Thanks for sharing your renders and your offerings on ShareCG
    Neat stuff!
    Good to see you rendering again ;)

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

some fun with my latest purchased product (by stonemason you know) plus atmospheres of mine; I think the C8 biased engine is understimated by many, taking into account the average time (15 min) for rendering at 1920x and the intuitive shader handling. suitable even for movies imo

4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 325K
    3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 339K
    2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 326K
    1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 992K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

some fun with my latest purchased product (by stonemason you know) plus atmospheres of mine; I think the C8 biased engine is understimated by many, taking into account the average time (15 min) for rendering at 1920x and the intuitive shader handling. suitable even for movies imo

Respect for your lighting rig!

Is it a product that can be purchased? otherwise...

TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL!! :cheese:

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

some other shots with different lighting
    tutorials? too much to say within minutes, I'm sorry
    new product? maybe, many of these atmospheres have been conceived for easy and quick handling nonetheless they must be still refined for selling
    what about Stonemason little masterpiece: no one has made a cool animation to be properly used in such a great scenery (i.e. hip hop dancers, skaters, graffiti writers)?
    I'd like to see what comes out

8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 356K
    7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 982K
    6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 824K
    5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 276K
  • BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

Comic book test.

Magnolia_Swing.jpg
    660 x 1008 - 461K
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    Comic book test.

Looks good. Nice bright colors and crisp lines. All post work?

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    Comic book test.

I do all of my structural and mechanical line work in Carrara. So any vehicles, buildings, robots, etc -- I just let Carrara do its thing. Then yeah, with organic forms like people and trees and stuff I use the pen tool. Same goes for all the colors.

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    BC Rice said:
    Comic book test.

I do all of my structural and mechanical line work in Carrara. So any vehicles, buildings, robots, etc -- I just let Carrara do its thing. Then yeah, with organic forms like people and trees and stuff I use the pen tool. Same goes for all the colors.

Love the effect. It looks great.

This discussion has been closed.