THE 4TH ANNUAL WINTER WONDERLAND contest/challenge

Comments

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

MINI-CONTEST ENTRY

Not as funny as I set out to do, but I realised when I was finished why, and why I came up with this scene -- there is literally no food in my fridge! (Waiting for my wife to return from The Hunt.)

Freaky Snow Baby from RuntimeDNA, fridge by Wayne Gribdberg at WG3D.

SnowBabyFridge.jpg
    1093 x 883 - 36K
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

MINI-CONTEST ENTRY

Not as funny as I set out to do, but I realised when I was finished why, and why I came up with this scene -- there is literally no food in my fridge! (Waiting for my wife to return from The Hunt.)

Freaky Snow Baby from RuntimeDNA, fridge by Wayne Gribdberg at WG3D.

now I know why we all love ya Dorseyland, you are one twisted puppy, (just kidding) I like the twist of having the snowman in the fridge. and with 6 minutes to spare. Do you need to re-render or is this the final one?

edited December 1969

No, that's it. I'm full now. (A good hunt.)

edited December 1969

LOL
    the better half saved the day again!!!!!

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

I would have entered something for the mini-contest, but...(jumping up and down excitedly and screaming) I got Studio 4.5 to work! I got Genesis to work! I'm making characters!! Okay, so maybe it's not a big deal for some folks, but I feel like I'm the last kid on the block to get a new bike or something. Right now I'm pouring all my efforts into seeing what this baby will do and having loads of fun doing it. Don't expect a Real Man Genesis right away (I've got somebody working on that) and I have zero add-ons right now, but maybe soon. Hope to enter at least once more in the main contest, but we'll see how the time works out.

edited December 1969

NICE.....

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 2012

I would have entered something for the mini-contest, but...(jumping up and down excitedly and screaming) I got Studio 4.5 to work! I got Genesis to work! I'm making characters!! Okay, so maybe it's not a big deal for some folks, but I feel like I'm the last kid on the block to get a new bike or something. Right now I'm pouring all my efforts into seeing what this baby will do and having loads of fun doing it. Don't expect a Real Man Genesis right away (I've got somebody working on that) and I have zero add-ons right now, but maybe soon. Hope to enter at least once more in the main contest, but we'll see how the time works out.

Y'know, you can use characters other than Genesis in Studio 4... or so I'm told. (Still running Studio 3 here ;-) )
    Post edited by robkelk on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

My render stopped in the middle of the night. I am re-rendering my final and will post when it is done.

edited December 1969

no worries, just as long as you can get it in by the close of the mini you're fine

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Y'know, you can use characters other than Genesis in Studio 4... or so I'm told. (Still running Studio 3 here ;-) )

Oh yeah, but...since I port over to Bryce for my final renders, the Genesis figure(s) seem to be much smaller file wise and import much faster and use less resources than the Gen4 figures. Or at least that's what some of my early tests indicate. Bryce doesn't like anything that's too big poly wise or texture wise. If I remember right, Bryce has a 2 meg limit on file sizes. Anything over that and it refuses to save. Nothing wrong with the Gen4 figures, Lord love 'em, but they are pretty memory intensive.

edited December 1969

I have had 4 people so far that have entered the mini challenge, 4..... although I am glad to see those 4 renders (please don't take this wrong), but DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is everyone too busy to join in the fun??? I don't think I can recall a mini contest with so little entries. and ya 'all been lacking on the renders too for the month, I know that December everyone is busy with holiday shopping and baking and family, but, really????
    Now that I have vented on the subject, let's get busy....
    I am standing ready with a table full of holiday pies to through at anyone who just doesn't have it together for this month yet....

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    I have had 4 people so far that have entered the mini challenge, 4..... although I am glad to see those 4 renders (please don't take this wrong), but DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is everyone too busy to join in the fun??? I don't think I can recall a mini contest with so little entries. and ya 'all been lacking on the renders too for the month, I know that December everyone is busy with holiday shopping and baking and family, but, really????
    I am standing ready with a table full of holiday pies to through at anyone who just doesn't have it together for this month yet....

Throw one to me, I'm hungry. Seriously, people, if I can do a mini-contest render AND take care of a 3 week old, surely the rest of you can enter! :cheese:

Speaking of which, the final render is being REALLY finicky, it keeps stopping after 2 hours of rendering for no apparent reason, I adjusted my settings and it appears to be going okay now. I'm hoping it'll be done within the next hour.

edited December 1969

I'll have one of those pies too, Jeeps. I'm hungry again.

SnowBaby2.jpg
    1093 x 883 - 41K
    edited December 1969

perlk said:
    jeeperz said:

Throw one to me, I'm hungry. Seriously, people, if I can do a mini-contest render AND take care of a 3 week old, surely the rest of you can enter! :cheese:

Speaking of which, the final render is being REALLY finicky, it keeps stopping after 2 hours of rendering for no apparent reason, I adjusted my settings and it appears to be going okay now. I'm hoping it'll be done within the next hour.

thanks perlk, you get one handed to you nicely

edited December 1969

you too Dorsey... and love the melted version

edited December 1969

This rocks.

edited December 1969

FINALLY... silly Poser...

I cropped it in Photoshop and added a signature as well. Here's my final.

deer-snowman.jpg
    1024 x 649 - 161K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Mom always said not to stand there with the fridge door open for so long! :lol:

Dana

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Some months I wind up with a creativity block which is disappointing since I think the monthly freebie challenges are both among the most useful contests here (free products...for free) and they put people on an even enough playing field that arguably even some vendors wouldn't even feel like unbalanced entrants due to the limit on paid items. It's quite possible that the contest as a whole is suffering from a silent fallout over the site change. Who knows.

Here's the higher quality render of my entry. Adjusted her hair slightly, I hope that's okay.

Hostile_Natives.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 101K
    edited December 1969

PERLK, I don't know what took you so long apart from Poser misbehaving -- I never understand why people are willing to endure really long render times (unless there's tons of trees) -- but that ice surface is terrific, and it already looked terrific in your preliminary render!

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    It's quite possible that the contest as a whole is suffering from a silent fallout over the site change.

That certainly applies to me. The forum hasn't felt like home since the site change. It cut my interest by about a third.

edited December 1969

Plus, nobody commented on my new avatar.:-)

edited December 1969

And the smileys suck. :zip:

edited December 1969

*smacks Dorseyland with a holiday pie* I like it, very cool in fact

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    Some months I wind up with a creativity block which is disappointing since I think the monthly freebie challenges are both among the most useful contests here (free products...for free) and they put people on an even enough playing field that arguably even some vendors wouldn't even feel like unbalanced entrants due to the limit on paid items. It's quite possible that the contest as a whole is suffering from a silent fallout over the site change. Who knows.

Here's the higher quality render of my entry. Adjusted her hair slightly, I hope that's okay.

I have had a huge artistic block for a while now. Can't seem to come up with an idea. I do agree with you Zamuel. we haven't been the same since the new site change.

edited December 1969

added both new renders to my 1-hour file. I'll let Alexa and Kendall update the site, just never could figure out how to do it.

edited December 1969

PERLK, I don't know what took you so long apart from Poser misbehaving -- I never understand why people are willing to endure really long render times (unless there's tons of trees) -- but that ice surface is terrific, and it already looked terrific in your preliminary render!

Yeah, it was only slightly higher pixels - I couldn't get it to be the quality I wanted because it kept breaking on me!!!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Plus, nobody commented on my new avatar.:-)

Sorry. I like it. I normally comment when someone changes their avatar. I've just been mostly lurking and generally depressed lately. Sorry.

Dana

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

NAE Turf War - Revisited

The first one looked too empty. Plus I found some awesome snow & ice shaders from Calida (DS only) in my runtime.
    http://www.calida3d.com/FreeDazStudio.shtml
    http://www.calida3d.com/DSFree08_MAT.shtml

turf_war_full.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 505K
    Post edited by BWSman on
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    NAE Turf War - Revisited

The first one looked too empty. Plus I found some awesome snow & ice shaders from Calida (DS only) in my runtime.
    http://www.calida3d.com/FreeDazStudio.shtml
    http://www.calida3d.com/DSFree08_MAT.shtml

too bad you did that one second, but with the trees you might not have gotten it done in under an hour. they take forever even at low rez