Comments

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Winter Sunrise

Winter_Sunrise.jpg
    2000 x 1413 - 435K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Nice colors! I also like your use of volumetric and atmospheric effects.

• DievansDievans Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Thanks evilproducer! Here's the original. Parts of the figure are way over exposed, and her face has some pretty deep shadow. I tried turning on AO and full raytracing, but it took 4 days to render and didn't look appreciably better. Howie has this set up so brilliantly for quick, good looking renders out of the box - it's probably just a matter of tweaking his fake GI lights. I also just imported the figure as an obj and didn't try and tweak the surfaces, so I'm sure there's some work that needs to be done there.

rivergirl2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 527K
    edited December 1969

CarltonMartin, that's quite beautiful, especially the big version. That subtle texture on the snow is really nice. Can I ask where you got those snowy trees?

edited December 1969

dievans said:
    Thanks evilproducer! Here's the original. Parts of the figure are way over exposed, and her face has some pretty deep shadow. I tried turning on AO and full raytracing, but it took 4 days to render and didn't look appreciably better. Howie has this set up so brilliantly for quick, good looking renders out of the box - it's probably just a matter of tweaking his fake GI lights. I also just imported the figure as an obj and didn't try and tweak the surfaces, so I'm sure there's some work that needs to be done there.

It does look a bit washed out. The AO will increase render times, and there may be other settings that you could adjust in the Render Room to speed things up as well. I really like the pose and the angle and framing of this. Even if you didn't have the lighting issues you mentioned, I think I would still prefer the impressionistic look of you first posted.

For the lighting, something to try in the future would be to use a spotlight or spotlights positioned near, and aiming at the figure with the light restricted to the figure and set at low intensity to act as a fill light to soften the deep shadows. The spotlight(s) color should be set to be complimentary to the reflected light in the scene, such as the bounced light from the ground which would be greenish and the bounced light from the sky, which would be bluish.

edited December 1969

dievans said:
    CarltonMartin, that's quite beautiful, especially the big version. That subtle texture on the snow is really nice. Can I ask where you got those snowy trees?

I think he used Howie's Snow scene which came with Carrara. I can't remember if it was a separate installer or not. I use the trees all the time in other scenes, they're really nice.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Here is my first attempt at a spaceship render with engine exhaust or whatever. I had to much glow but this is only my 4th or 5th render with Cararra so far. Thank you to EvilProducer and I think 3DAGE who gave me pointers in my thread about Anything Glows.

Pirate_Ship_test.jpg
    1280 x 480 - 549K
    edited December 2012

dievans said:

I think he used Howie's Snow scene which came with Carrara. I can't remember if it was a separate installer or not. I use the trees all the time in other scenes, they're really nice.

Yes, it started with that. Lots of editing and adding...and thanks for the "beautiful."

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Here is my first attempt at a spaceship render with engine exhaust or whatever. I had to much glow but this is only my 4th or 5th render with Cararra so far. Thank you to EvilProducer and I think 3DAGE who gave me pointers in my thread about Anything Glows.

That's pretty darn good (I suspect the forum size limits do not do it justice).

I have a friend who is begging me to do spaceship scenes -- I find it difficult to put together a full-size space ship though...my creativity keeps crumbling apart. But repeat, repeat, repeat and it will eventually get there. I do want to try out the suggestions from this thread on engine/thruster lighting though.

edited December 1969

Was the 3D Aura used or the 3D Light sphere? Whatever was used, I would back it off a bit as it overpowers the rest of the image.Otherwise you're off to a good start.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    That's pretty darn good (I suspect the forum size limits do not do it justice).

Have you noticed the "Click thumbnail to see full-size image"? Images can get pretty large now that auto-sizing for the forum is working.

edited December 1969

Was the 3D Aura used or the 3D Light sphere? Whatever was used, I would back it off a bit as it overpowers the rest of the image.Otherwise you're off to a good start.

I used a bulb and yeah, the glow I put on it was too much.

edited December 2012

Space seems to be the theme lately, so here's one I did of the Event Horizon, from the movie of the same name. I didn't model this one, or work on the shaders-yet. The star field was added in Photoshop.

Would help if I attached the image! :red:

Event-Horizon-hi-res.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 755K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

:down:

Space seems to be the theme lately, so here's one I did of the Event Horizon, from the movie of the same name. I didn't model this one, or work on the shaders-yet. The star field was added in Photoshop.

Nice!

I tried a basic model -- an attempt to show glowing engine exhaust. It sucked. :sick:

edited December 2012

I used the Vanguard model I bought here at DAZ and used that as my example.

I inserted a bulb and positioned it within the engine nozzle. Remember, the hot point of the light is where it's emitted. I then made my adjustments to the light. The color was set to compliment the glow channel and I reduced the range from 400 ft to 4 ft with a 20% falloff. I then added a 3D light sphere under the light's effects tab. If you need to resize the window to get a bigger preview, just grab the lower right corner and drag to your desired size. Next I added the lens flare. I did a spot render to see how I liked the effect and duplicated the bulb light and dragged the duplicate to the other engine nozzle.

I'm including screen caps, but you will have to play around with it a bit as each scene is different and each model is different. Also note that the lens flare scale settings may have to be keyframed lower if the ship flies away from the camera in an animation because the lens flare will stay the same size otherwise.

Picture_6.png
    994 x 755 - 276K
    Picture_5.png
    1050 x 743 - 192K
    Picture_4.png
    973 x 688 - 160K
    Picture_3.png
    251 x 468 - 34K
    Picture_2.png
    332 x 427 - 49K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Thought I put one in here. Did this many months ago.

Sample1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 338K
    edited December 1969

Very nice job. Makes me want to go to the lake. Except at this time of year the leaves are gone and everything has a dreary brown look. Once the snow sticks it'll be back to looking scenic.

• edited December 2012

Here's a simple portrait style render I did today, I decided to just go ahead and upload it before I end up post-working it to death, lol :long:

Never mind, post-working it to death now :P

MB22.png
    600 x 600 - 413K
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited December 1969

Robo2010 said:
    Thought I put one in here. Did this many months ago.

Lovely...
  • Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Still working on this one, but I like how it's turning out.

Sorc1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 93K
  • edited December 1969

Made withe Carrara8.5 beta without post-production :)

Final.jpg
    560 x 800 - 129K
    edited December 1969

Nice job everybody!

• TravestiousTravestious Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Had the original idea for this back in 2010. Made a short animation and got caught up in doing other things.

Around Nov 8th 2012, I started anew on it. Created this in my spare time since then.

This is a mix of Carrara 8 and 8.5, Photoshop and Final Cut

http://youtu.be/8XiTOicm7J4

Other creative humor here
    http://marcusrufus.blogspot.com

• EximorphEximorph Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Stephanie 5
    The dynamic hair is on a skullcap I made myself.

S5Dress2.jpg
    750 x 1200 - 149K
    edited December 1969

dievans said:

It does look a bit washed out. The AO will increase render times, and there may be other settings that you could adjust in the Render Room to speed things up as well. I really like the pose and the angle and framing of this. Even if you didn't have the lighting issues you mentioned, I think I would still prefer the impressionistic look of you first posted.

For the lighting, something to try in the future would be to use a spotlight or spotlights positioned near, and aiming at the figure with the light restricted to the figure and set at low intensity to act as a fill light to soften the deep shadows. The spotlight(s) color should be set to be complimentary to the reflected light in the scene, such as the bounced light from the ground which would be greenish and the bounced light from the sky, which would be bluish.
    Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely try the spotlight trick. I think that would let me ratchet down the overall brightness quite a bit too. Now off to attempt a spaceship :-).

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I had problems getting this scene to look "deep" so I cut the range on the lights as they got further from the camera... The closest pair of shape lights are almost overhead, their range is 60ft. The middle pair of shapelights the range is 45ft. The final pair 30ft... Global Illumination is also contributing.

Doc21.png
    1280 x 720 - 682K
    edited December 1969

I had problems getting this scene to look "deep" so I cut the range on the lights as they got further from the camera... The closest pair of shape lights are almost overhead, their range is 60ft. The middle pair of shapelights the range is 45ft. The final pair 30ft... Global Illumination is also contributing.

Very nice as always! Your own design?

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Very nice as always! Your own design?

No, I wish! It is actually here at DAZ. It is by Dreamlight. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/quantum-labs

edited December 2012

This is a learning render for me. I played a lot with shaders and the glass reflection settings to get this how I wanted. I hope the render gets across the idea that I was shooting for.

In general I like how it came out but it looks 'flat' to me, lacking in depth and I clearly need to learn how to tweak specular and glossiness in Cararra better. I managed to make his clothing look non-plastic but I didn't succeed in getting any specular highlights on anything.

Thanks to: holly wetcircuit, headwax, 3DAGE, JoeMama2000, and Evilproducer in the thread about not being able to load a scene. This is the scene I was trying to load, tweak, and render.

WitchHunterLookingAtPlanet.jpg
    1280 x 480 - 264K
    Post edited by Riggswolfe on
    edited December 1969

Holly, that depth trick worked great - very effective and makes for a very cool render. Must remember that one.

Trying out World Machine and Carrara on this one.

carrara_highcliffs.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 815K
This discussion has been closed.