Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• jthicksjthicks Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello,
    I am interested in the export feature you mention. I do my rendering in Vue10. Once I have the hair finalized on my figure, and I export the figure as an OBJ for importing into Vue, would the hair come along with the figure? Would I lose anything in the appearance of the hair with the exporting?
    I am really anticipating this product!
    Thank you

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

jthicks said:
    Hello,
    I am interested in the export feature you mention. I do my rendering in Vue10. Once I have the hair finalized on my figure, and I export the figure as an OBJ for importing into Vue, would the hair come along with the figure? Would I lose anything in the appearance of the hair with the exporting?
    I am really anticipating this product!
    Thank you

Yes exactly, the figure and the hair will be both exported with the necessary textures as well. The hair quality for the exported .obj will depend on the number of polygons chosen: to make an example, if you need to model long hair, you better plan the project with a higher number of vertices per hair, so that the resulting .obj will have a higher definition. In case of short fur/hair, a lower number of vertices will do just fine.
    To add to the above, if the renderer or the application you're going to use the exported hair with is capable of subdividing the mesh and you enable it, that will allow to increase the quality of the mesh itself, allowing to have more "curved" surfaces. If you used Reality/Lux you know what I mean; I don't recall if Vue actually does it (but I'd be surprised if it didn't).
    Here attached a couple of renders done in Vue by one of the testers, with some dinos covered with short fur.

174929_431326606914852_48711021_o.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 167K
    286061_431326710248175_1429525986_o.jpg
    1024 x 638 - 128K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Vue has a Dynamic subdivision and smoothing function when you right click on the object and choose Edit Object. Just thought I would mention it just in case. :)

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited November 2012

Here attached a couple of renders done in Vue by one of the testers, with some dinos covered with short fur.

Heh. The first time I looked at this, for a second I thought the T-Rexallosaurusy thing was holding a giant fork. At long last those tiny little hands made sense...

And by the way, the wait for this is KILLING me!

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

OOOOooooo the wait has been long .......but I have a feeling it'll be so worth it!!!

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Vue has a Dynamic subdivision and smoothing function when you right click on the object and choose Edit Object. Just thought I would mention it just in case. :)

Thank you for the clarification :)
    OK so that would just do the job: in LAMH you may choose the complexity of the .obj (i.e. the number of vertices per hair), so that also using, say 5 vertices (which would produce a hair made of 4 quads) would probably be satisfactory since Vue Dynamic subdivision and smoothing will do the rest of the job.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

No problem......can't wait to try it myself to be honest.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hey Alessandro,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and I am REALLY looking forward to the release of LAMH.

I am positively itching with anticipation.

Cheers,

SK.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Well things have been too quiet .......AA how everything going? how are you feeling?? Okay I hope.

edited November 2012

Everything OK Carrie, thanks very much for asking. I'm completing what will probably be last (or one of the latest) beta releases.
    There will be a number of new features in it that have not been disclosed yet (not even to testers), and I'll make the possible to finally release Look at my Hair very soon. Also have to prepare the final version of the manual, and all the video tutorials.

There are a number of ideas about new features and improvements that I'll be going to add after the initial version will be released. After all development has been undergoing for many months (almost 10) and I believe it's time that all the folks can finally start playing and enjoy with Look at my Hair.

So stay tuned for incoming news...

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Everything OK Carrie, thanks very much for asking. I'm completing what will probably be last (or one of the latest) beta releases.
    There will be a number of new features in it that have not been disclosed yet (not even to testers), and I'll make the possible to finally release Look at my Hair very soon. Also have to prepare the final version of the manual, and all the video tutorials.

There are a number of ideas about new features and improvements that I'll be going to add after the initial version will be released. After all development has been undergoing to many months (almost 10) and I believe it's time that all the folks can finally start playing and enjoy with Look at my Hair.

waiting to see :-)

edited December 1969

bigh said:

There are a number of ideas about new features and improvements that I'll be going to add after the initial version will be released. After all development has been undergoing to many months (almost 10) and I believe it's time that all the folks can finally start playing and enjoy with Look at my Hair.

waiting to see :-)

Thanks bigh: this time I'll try to put more efforts than I did with INFINITO documentation, and will be careful to produce enough video tutorials and a decent manual so that both of them should suffice to help users.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Glad your doing well Sir.

Question... if someone where to export a lower geom hair figure for Genesis but then add in SubD and Smoothing afterwards for more high resolution and smoothed out look will that create a lighter file that will render faster? Or are SubD and Smoothing not recommended??

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Glad your doing well Sir.

Question... if someone where to export a lower geom hair figure for Genesis but then add in SubD and Smoothing afterwards for more high resolution and smoothed out look will that create a lighter file that will render faster? Or are SubD and Smoothing not recommended??

Well, if you export an .obj out of LAMH, made of say 40000 polygons (quads, to be more precise), if can of course enable subdivision in Studio (or Vue, Reality, or else), and Smoothing as well. Those techniques usually subdivide a quad into 4 quads (or even more, according to the level of subdivision chosen) often at render time, so that there is no performance impact on the GUI.
    Definitely something to try and use, so to answer shortly, SubD and Smoothing are actually recommended, especially on 64bit systems which will have no problems to mangle large data.

edited December 1969

Thanks Alex. Good to hear that beta is getting closer and closer. Sorry for not participating too much here. I've been hella busy and practicing in ZBrush so not posting as much as I usually do here, there and everywhere!

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited December 1969

goodluck with the launch, have been waiting for this :) have had no time to join beta but it looks great from what you and others are posting! a 40k quad obj export is not bad at all, imo. i make and sell from 5k to 40k poly myself and people don't seem to have a problem that i'm aware of. other vendors go way above that (80-150k quads) for even simple hair models. i believe it is the transmapping render times that people dislike more than high polycount viewport slowdown. obviously high polycount+transmap is the worst lol.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2012

40k ain't bad at all. I can work with that easily. One of my recent octane renders was 4million tris...

bTW that included a lot of fibermesh, normally I stay around 1-1.5 million tris

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

40k ain't bad at all. I can work with that easily. One of my recent octane renders was 4million tris...

bTW that included a lot of fibermesh, normally I stay around 1-1.5 million tris

4 million tri's, wow that's a lot. Certainly you have a 64bit system with plenty of memory.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks Alex. Good to hear that beta is getting closer and closer. Sorry for not participating too much here. I've been hella busy and practicing in ZBrush so not posting as much as I usually do here, there and everywhere!

You're welcome Richard. Lately I also deserted the forums: I was extremely busy also with other projects and life in general: it's incredible how much time it's needed to accomplish even single tasks of life routines.
    But I've been working on it very hard and I believe now it's good time to have Look at my Hair finally available.
    I hope people will enjoy it as much as I do when I use it for fun, designing some furry animals (which are the characters that I like most).

There are so many options and features that should keep you guys busy for quite a long time. And, as I wrote earlier, there are some new ones that I'll be willing to add in the future.
    See you soon... :)

edited December 1969

Just remember to take it easy and not over do it Alex!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Just remember to take it easy and not over do it Alex!

Thanks for the advice, and infact I replanned my work routine so that I don't end up working very late at night, as I've done for a long time. Not healthy at all :)

edited December 1969

Yea, folks wonder why my projects take so long, esp Bruno. Well I live with HIV, I work and I have a life outside of this place so I do what I can do. I supposed if I was making money I'd def spend more time on getting things finished sooner but I don't, that's where my hairdressing comes in for paying the bills. lol I learned the hard way a while back by getting overly involved in the creation process and staying up too late at night and then no sleep or poor sleep I was sick all of the time. Simply not worth it.

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:
    goodluck with the launch, have been waiting for this :) have had no time to join beta but it looks great from what you and others are posting! a 40k quad obj export is not bad at all, imo. i make and sell from 5k to 40k poly myself and people don't seem to have a problem that i'm aware of. other vendors go way above that (80-150k quads) for even simple hair models. i believe it is the transmapping render times that people dislike more than high polycount viewport slowdown. obviously high polycount+transmap is the worst lol.

Seeing your interest here makes me regret less that I won't be able to afford this. ;)
    edited December 1969

Zaarin said:
    AprilYSH said:

Seeing your interest here makes me regret less that I won't be able to afford this. ;)

How so, if you don't even know the price yet? %-P

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

Zaarin said:
    AprilYSH said:

How so, if you don't even know the price yet? %-P
    Well, it will have to be pretty cheap for me to afford it; I've committed to cutting my spending a lot. ;)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Any news on the launch date ? :-P I really want this lol

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Any news on the launch date ? :-P I really want this lol

I have to provide testers with the latest beta (which is almost) ready, and if that is successful I'd call it the release candidate.
    Also, I need to prepare the manual and plenty of video tutorials, so that might take another week or so.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Yea, folks wonder why my projects take so long, esp Bruno. Well I live with HIV, I work and I have a life outside of this place so I do what I can do.

I remember, two years ago, that I've read your blog, Richard. It has been truly admirable the way you were able to pull through difficulties, get on your feet again and keep going.

edited December 1969

Life is what it is Alex. Sometimes I can be the voice of reason only because of what I've lived through.

• MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited November 2012

I tried using Garibaldi Express but it only comes with 3 female hair styles...no male. I'm not the kind of user that likes to style my own characters hair, so if there aren't any included I probably won't use it. The fact that you're gong to provide lots of example styles will blow Garibaldi out of the water. Can't wait!

Post edited by MikeyFTL on
This discussion has been closed.