Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    Alessandro. If you are making presets, does this mean that I could add my own presets to a library for subsequent modification and reuse.

I was thinking of my own personal library but the obvious next step would be to have a 'public' library of presets that people generally could add to.

There will be a public library on LAMH web site where we'll collect presets made by all the users that will like to share them. And of course you can override each preset, modify it and reuse it as you like.

• KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is a quick test in Reality.... The hair is set to a custom metal shader. 2 lights used, 1 in front behind the camera and 1 on the top slightly to the rear. The hair needs to be thinner when rendered with Lux. I will through a few more things at it and post them later.

LAMH_Test_4.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 371K
    edited December 1969

Here is a quick test in Reality.... The hair is set to a custom metal shader. 2 lights used, 1 in front behind the camera and 1 on the top slightly to the rear. The hair needs to be thinner when rendered with Lux. I will through a few more things at it and post them later.

Thank you very much for sharing this render, I really like it and envy how you guys use and master Lux/Reality. I never had enough time to sit down and experiment with it.

I'll provide you a thinner hair set :)

edited December 1969

OK, I prepared the Big Mil Cat preset and as promised it will ship with the plugin.
    It will include a short fur preset and some custom ones, as the siberian tiger here, which has some longer fur around the neck.

The renders here show a standard fur render, a "wet fur" look render (2nd image) where I used the clump effect, and the plain tiger without fur. 500000 hair, UE2, render time 5:35 minutes on my 8-core machine. Mid render settings.

tiger_no_fur.jpg
    952 x 720 - 302K
    tiger2_wet.jpg
    952 x 672 - 406K
    tiger1.jpg
    952 x 672 - 388K
  • FaewolfFaewolf Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    I haven't read through the entire thread but from skimming I assume that it will be easy/straightforward to create hair styles like these?

yes! very possible ;)

this took about 5 min to make, i spent more time playing with materials than i did the actual styling xD

mohawk1b.png
    754 x 849 - 448K
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much for sharing this render, I really like it and envy how you guys use and master Lux/Reality. I never had enough time to sit down and experiment with it.

I'll provide you a thinner hair set :)

If you and Paolo would lighten up on you world domination trip you might have time to do something besides type code all day. ;-)

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Nice kitty! Can I touch him Pretty please!

edited December 1969

OK, I prepared the Big Mil Cat preset and as promised it will ship with the plugin.
    It will include a short fur preset and some custom ones, as the siberian tiger here, which has some longer fur around the neck.

The renders here show a standard fur render, a "wet fur" look render (2nd image) where I used the clump effect, and the plain tiger without fur. 500000 hair, UE2, render time 5:35 minutes on my 8-core machine. Mid render settings.

Wow! I like this a lot.. A nice fluffy version, clump it up and you have a wet version. Very nice.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

That big cat is excellent. Really excited about that! Thanks much for adding it!

edited December 2012

Faewolf said:
    luxgabu said:
    I haven't read through the entire thread but from skimming I assume that it will be easy/straightforward to create hair styles like these?

yes! very possible ;)

this took about 5 min to make, i spent more time playing with materials than i did the actual styling xD

Thanks for showing that Faewolf. :)

You know that by now you should also tattoo that LAMH logo on your arm... you deserve it LOL

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Fluffy tiger! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Faewolf said:
    luxgabu said:

yes! very possible ;)

Nice, but you need to think out side of the box....... How about some nice faux fur seat covers for the old wore out Chevy. Maybe a nice shag carpet in that dump apartment or mold on the leftover Pizza in the fridge. hehe! There is so much potential here.

edited December 1969

That big cat is excellent. Really excited about that! Thanks much for adding it!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. There is also another VERY important feature that has been recently added, and that will be disclosed only at release time. I believe it will be very much appreciated, so stay tuned!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,946
    edited December 1969

AA OOOOOOOOooooooMG Loveing the big cat!! I'm so excited!!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited December 1969

Been eagerly watching developments for a while (and had this on my buy list).

Better and better!

The "wet look" fur - wow - another impressive feature! I already have a project list.

• alanb11alanb11 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I hope this doesn't sound too ignorant, but you stated the render time was 5:35 minutes. Do you mean 5 minutes and 35 seconds or 5 hours and 35 minutes. And just out of curiosity, what kind of Mac or PC are you using?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 2012

There is also another VERY important feature that has been recently added, and that will be disclosed only at release time. I believe it will be very much appreciated, so stay tuned!

Looking forward to all this!!!

I wonder how long it would take Lux to Subdivide the hair to smoot it out so it looks more like it does in DS.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    There is also another VERY important feature that has been recently added, and that will be disclosed only at release time. I believe it will be very much appreciated, so stay tuned!

Looking forward to all this!!!

I wonder how long it would take Lux to Subdivide the hair to smoot it out so it looks more like it does in DS.

Forgot to mention that before.... Error message from Lux: [2012-12-03 17:44:31 Error: 43] Shape #30 (plymesh): Inconsistent vertex winding in mesh, aborting subdivision. Bummer! >:(

edited December 1969

Forgot to mention that before.... Error message from Lux: [2012-12-03 17:44:31 Error: 43] Shape #30 (plymesh): Inconsistent vertex winding in mesh, aborting subdivision. Bummer! >:(

Crap. Maybe that will be resolved somewhere down the line. But at the same time, thats what sub-d through exteranal sources is for too! :)

edited December 1969

Crap. Maybe that will be resolved somewhere down the line. But at the same time, thats what sub-d through exteranal sources is for too! :)

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all those examples.

I am really jealous of you beta testers and can't wait to get my hands on it!

• DTAikoDTAiko Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

this tool looks amazing!!! Oo cant wait to buy it. How is the progress of the beta? The results look so awesome! :3

edited December 1969

alanb11 said:

I hope this doesn't sound too ignorant, but you stated the render time was 5:35 minutes. Do you mean 5 minutes and 35 seconds or 5 hours and 35 minutes. And just out of curiosity, what kind of Mac or PC are you using?

The render time was 5 minutes and 35 seconds. I have a Mac OSX Mountain, 12GB RAM, with a total of 16 cores (2 processors), but at render time I also had a Virtual Machine open that took 8 cores itself.
    So 3Delight had a total of 8 cores (1 processor) to use. I noticed that 3Delight does lot of optimizations and it often happen that also the distance of the camera from the objects accounts in terms of render time. It also discards occluded geometry as well.
    In this case, the render was extremely fast. I used the following render settings:

Max Ray Trace Depth: 4
    Pixel Samples: 8
    Shading Rate: 0.1

UE2 Shading Rate: 0.1

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

KrazyHorse is doing some testing with Reality/Lux, maybe he will tell us some more...

edited December 1969

Winding... it seems like it complains for the order vertices are ordered on some polygons. I'll open that mesh in another application and see what could be...

edited December 1969

I've ran some tests on the mesh I provided KrazyHorse: Lightwave could subPatch it without issues, and the polygon/vertices sets integrity was OK (see image).
    Then I tried in ZBrush, cheched the geometry integrity which returned ok, subdvided it (12 million points!) and made a BPR render (result attached).

I'm not sure why Lux comes up with the winding error: I think I'll need to ask Paolo or on Lux forums for clarifications...

LW.jpg
    864 x 951 - 154K
    ZB.jpg
    1454 x 1089 - 243K
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

Kitty can haz fur!
    I am a big cat lover but the naked MilCat jusn't isn't very appealing...unless you go for a spynx look that is...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphynx_(cat)

edited December 1969

Winding... it seems like it complains for the order vertices are ordered on some polygons. I'll open that mesh in another application and see what could be...

Sent you an e-mail about this Alex. I will get back to it this afternoon and try to figure something out.

edited December 1969

A scene completely created with Look at my Hair. Take a closer look at this...

country.jpg
    870 x 902 - 708K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Oh my word flowers! and pretty ones at that. Oh AA you are just the best coolest coder I know!

This discussion has been closed.