Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro :cheese:

You mention RenderMan a few times; is that RenderMan Studio or the Maya RenderMan plug-in, both from Pixar? Great products from the looks of things but very pricey :ohh:

I hope it's ok to ask :red:

bandit,
    AA is talking about the standard not applications. Renderman in this context is referring to the fact that 3Delight, DAZ Studio's render engine, is capable of initiating the features of the standard, Renderman. I know it can be confusing. PIXAR and Maya use the word loosly but for our purposes AA is calling functions that 3Delight knows how to computate and create the appropriate result in a render. If you go to the 3Delight website, http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php you can read all about how it is compliant to the Renderman spec..

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro :cheese:

You mention RenderMan a few times; is that RenderMan Studio or the Maya RenderMan plug-in, both from Pixar? Great products from the looks of things but very pricey :ohh:

I hope it's ok to ask :red:

Hey of course you can ask whatever you like. I'll be glad to answer anything I can.
    DAZ Studio supports RenderMan primitives (and the whole RenderMan API's) and uses the 3Delight render engine, which is a RenderMan compliant renderer. So, you do not need to buy any additional plugin or software: you just create the hair in LAMH, export those to Studio as RenderMan objects and render. Done.

Tell me if I could explain myself properly on this.

edited December 2012

Here it comes the black, rampant fury, with a lion-like mane...

rampant_fury.jpg
    745 x 936 - 358K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

that looks cool

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Horse 2? This is the way the mane, forelock and tail SHOULD look. What came with such a nice new model is horrid!

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Horse 2? This is the way the mane, forelock and tail SHOULD look. What came with such a nice new model is horrid!

Considering how the new horse doesn't have perma-mane and tail, I think people can make their own manes more easily. I mean, there are no braided manes or bound manes or bobbed tails around yet... but soon.

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    RAMWolff said:

Considering how the new horse doesn't have perma-mane and tail, I think people can make their own manes more easily. I mean, there are no braided manes or bound manes or bobbed tails around yet... but soon.
    The only redemption for the new horse's stone age tech mane and tail is that they're not permanently attached so that PA's will hopefully bring us better alternatives soon...

edited December 1969

I'm preparing some presets for the Mil Big Cats, and I'd like if somebody could help me out to understand what's latest revision of this product.
    I bought this years ago, when the galaxy was young, with an account I don't have data anymore.
    I have the Big Mil Cats SR1, and before proceeding I'd like to know if that's the latest version, because from the initial one to the SR1 geometry has changed.
    Just for reference, the SR1 blMilBigCat.obj file has 44890 faces and 45866 vertices. Thanks

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I have the Big Mil Cats SR1, and before proceeding I'd like to know if that's the latest version,

Yes, that's the latest.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how LaMH deals with the big kitties, I've never been able to get them to look quite right without proper D|S presets.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 2012

Presets for the MilBigCats sounds splendid.

To be sold separately as addons to the plug-in? I suspect that people will happily pay for furred versions of the animals they've got.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • esargeesarge Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Presets for the MilBigCats sounds splendid.

To be sold separately as addons to the plug-in? I suspect that people will happily pay for furred versions of the animals they've got.

Hey!! Quit giving him ideas. Were not all rich like you. :) (Just kidding)
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jade reads, Jade grins, Jade goes dancing in the streets. I'm one happy Drow.

Now if only this Mayan thing was as easy to read between the lines as those last few posts.... 12/21/12.

Naw, I like LAMH and happy happy joy joy better. If they were so darn good they would have SEEN their own end, not ours. :lol:

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 2012

Guessing people would like a Ferret coat for the Meerkat in the shop, re: the Thread here. They are pretty cute, and I'm guessing could be good draw if it came out well :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

I'd like to provide some initial presets for free, especially for Genesis. I yet have to decide but I'm tending to make available for free also the Mil Big Cat/Dog/Horse2 presets, so that anybody can already be immediately at a play.

edited December 2012

Example of hair exported and rendered as .obj geometry in Studio.

I've never had much time to spend with Lux/Reality, but as you all know LAMH can export hair also to .obj and, very important, produce also the needed textures for those.
    Here attached is a very simple hair model (as you can see I didn't bother using density maps, and so the hair contour line at the roots is way too neat, the shape is quite basic), but it's just to show that exporting to obj's works well.
    In this example, 120000 hair (each of 16 polygons, you do the math). The two obj's total a size of 220MB: I assume a 64bit system is necessary to deal with such large geometry (even if LAMH offers the possibility to squeeze and reduce geometry complexity upon exporting).

This is rendered in Studio, plain plastic shader, mid settings, Lantios Lights, 4:34 seconds.

I asked a friend to try and render this in Lux, to see how different should get. I guess the result will be even better...

obj_genesis_hair_thinner_render.jpg
    421 x 538 - 153K
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 2012

That looks amazing! Can't wait to try it out!

Question - the render time of the above is very promising and reassuring for me. But will there be "hair chunks" or "hair clumps" growing option, on top of the standard polygon hair bits? Like the traditional way of faking 10 strands in a single flat plane with transparency? That will cut down file size and make certain kind of hair style easier to grow I nthink? Just wondering...if that's even possible in LAMH...

Also will there be curls option? Like a "roller" tool lol...Good works regardless!

I just spend the last hours researching on INFINITO and found a thread on the old forum. Another amazing product. Love the Skydome, offset, drag position, and terrain gradient features. I use to play with Terragen and am very excited about the 2.0 with true instancing. This could well become a Farcry map editor with SimCity terraforming mode. Terraforming can be SO fun! Love to give some suggestions on future features but not sure if it's ok to talk about it here?

Post edited by Mythmaker on
    edited December 2012

Mythmaker said:
    That looks amazing! Can't wait to try it out!

Question - will there be "hair chunks" or "hair clumps" growing option, on top of the standard polygon hair bits? Like the traditional way of faking 10 strands in a single plan with transparency? That will cut down file size? Just wondering...

There is already a function that allows to clump hair as you say, even if it's still at "primitive" stage (meaning that it can and will be improved even further). It's incredible the amount of time needed to create and test those math algorithms LOL

Mythmaker said:

Also will there be curls option? Like a "roller" tool lol! Good works regardless.

There is a curl deformer, which allow to apply a sort of "spiral" effect to the hair (see the attached image). Again, also this will be improved in time...

I just spend the last hours researching on INFINITO and found a thread on the old forum. Another amazing product. Love the Skydome, offset, drag position, and terrain gradient features. I use to play with Terragen and am very excited about the 2.0 with true instancing. Love to give some suggestions on future features but not sure if it's ok to talk about it here?

I'm definitely open to suggestions and requests: you may email me directly ( [email protected] ) or you can also post in the official INFINITO thread that you found.

negretta_smooth.jpg
    744 x 708 - 288K
    edited December 1969

Wow another amazing pic! And thanks for the response. Yeeepee there is a curling spiraling option.

Hmmm if only we have some hair clips to separate hair into sections, and pleats, and hair gels for shine... LOL the demands are endless!

The old forum thread seems to have post reply problem. I will email you or post the suggestion on your reqeust a feature thread.

edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:

Hmmm if only we have some hair clips to separate hair into sections, and pleats, and hair gels for shine... LOL the demands are endless!

Well I think you could do that using multiple shave groups (probably I've never shown how those work), so that each group can have a different set of hair, materials, options...

edited December 2012

Grouping with separate materials, that sounds awesome. My browser Javascript is not functioning so I'll just post my INFINITO 2.0, 2.2,3.0 requests here.

Terrain brush - more variations: flatten/plane, erosion/corrosion, cliff, smooth. Like latest Farcry 3 map editor.
    Prop instancing - ability to set multi props, same prop or mixed props, with spread distance setting (shrub patches with little flowers, fallen leaves etc) Like iClone.
    Paint custom texture on terrain brush, like The Sims 3 Build Mode.
    Waters - some preset surfaces of various speed and turbidity and particles props

And of course - a morph brush tool add-on or standalone plugin to finally replace the awkward and clunky d-former!

In the long run, a Road and Bridge Tool plugin! That's all I can think of now... I'm impatient but I know you're busy so take your time!

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 2012

Jaderail said:
    Jade reads, Jade grins, Jade goes dancing in the streets. I'm one happy Drow.

Now if only this Mayan thing was as easy to read between the lines as those last few posts.... 12/21/12.

Naw, I like LAMH and happy happy joy joy better. If they were so darn good they would have SEEN their own end, not ours. :lol:

I have an 18-month calender that ends on 6/30/13...so we should be good until then.
    Post edited by TJohn on
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

I haven't read through the entire thread but from skimming I assume that it will be easy/straightforward to create hair styles like these?

snapshot4.jpeg
    422 x 500 - 44K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Yeah, that's dead easy in my opinion. I made a lizard cut (hair cut into shape of a lizard squatting on top of a dude's head) with nothing but density map tool in LAMH.

edited December 1969

Great.

Where is the queue for the sales desk?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    Great.

Where is the queue for the sales desk?

You found it.
    Unfortunately at page 46 ... you will have to wait in line.
    ;)

edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    I haven't read through the entire thread but from skimming I assume that it will be easy/straightforward to create hair styles like these?

Yes, as Skiriki said that's pretty simple, using density maps and clumping the hair. I'll make a punk preset bundled with LAMH.

edited December 1969

That would be great.

Then I could use it as a template to make the variations in that image I put up.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:

WOW.. haven't seen that promo shot in years. Apollo Maximus Hawk I believe. Could be wrong......

edited December 1969

Yes, it is. Over at RDNA.

I bought it recently and it does work with genesis but it needs a lot of massaging to do so.

I think the whole process will be much easier with LAMH.

edited December 2012

Alessandro. If you are making presets, does this mean that I could add my own presets to a library for subsequent modification and reuse.

I was thinking of my own personal library but the obvious next step would be to have a 'public' library of presets that people generally could add to.

Post edited by gabu on
This discussion has been closed.