Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

It seems the older modelers items work better than the newer modellers whose items just don't work at all..

Antfarms latest Bat Thing is a good example of working in Carrara... Just Daz dropping the ball big time by not keeping Carrara up to speed doesn't allow us to purchase these new products and sends us off to other stores whose latest products do work like Hivewire's products work.

Daz's loss is someone elses gain.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Stezza said:

It seems the older modelers items work better than the newer modellers whose items just don't work at all..

Antfarms latest Bat Thing is a good example of working in Carrara... Just Daz dropping the ball big time by not keeping Carrara up to speed doesn't allow us to purchase these new products and sends us off to other stores whose latest products do work like Hivewire's products work.

Daz's loss is someone elses gain.

I think the real plan is to make us use Carrara to her fullest by making us make our own stuff ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

hah... that's what I though of [grin]

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

yes it is a clever marketing plan :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I cannot afford any anyway so a moot point but was just curious how that new Airport island series of sets worked in Carrara.

So am asking if anyone bought them.

They seem to use a lot of billboards from the promos at least in the lobby and we can just use one of the palms for example and replicate, they are possibly instanced in D|S anyway.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If they fixed Carrara (!) to handle Studio instances, we'd be able to use so many more DS sets!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

If they fixed Carrara (!) to handle Studio instances, we'd be able to use so many more DS sets!

I think you mean if they fixed DS to use Carrara instances!

No, I'm talking about Carrara reading instances from the .duf file. Currently it opens the file but ignores all the instances.

• No, I'm talking about Carrara reading instances from the .duf file. Currently it opens the file but ignores all the instances.

I wish Carrara had instancing like UltraScatter (even though I do not understand why it has 50000 instances limit ?), it reminds me on a very advanced instancing in Vue smiley

edited October 2016

Probably arbitary. I can tell you though that placing 50000 instances in Ultrascatter takes a *very* long time. You never forget that it's a script and not built-in functionality!

And yes, UltraScatter does things I'd love to see in Carrara (falloff, separate + and - range settings, affinity . . .). But Carrara has clustering, which Ultrascatter doesn't.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on

you can do falloff, density etc if you tick and use a shader

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited October 2016

But Carrara has clustering, which Ultrascatter doesn't.

Yep, not that we can control it in any fancy way, lol, but it's there, the thing is, that script will be updated and improved, I'm sure that he will add more features (incremental rotations are a nice feature he should put into it as well) smiley

Carrara instances are not "aware" of other objects and instances in the scene as well, that might be another reason his script is slower, it takes time to check for all those things ... wink

Post edited by FifthElement on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    PhilW said:

I think you mean if they fixed DS to use Carrara instances!

Yes, it was just my little joke, clearly missed the target! (although if DS DID read Carrara instances, that would be really useful!)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Right, but Daz Studio doesn't have Duplication... which kills me. That new Ocean product would love to be duplicated instead of how he had to keep loading in new instances over and over. For that I'd actually use Carrara's standard replicator and watch it rock! 

ToeJam said:

I cannot afford any anyway so a moot point but was just curious how that new Airport island series of sets worked in Carrara.

So am asking if anyone bought them.

They seem to use a lot of billboards from the promos at least in the lobby and we can just use one of the palms for example and replicate, they are possibly instanced in D|S anyway.

I was wondering the same things.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

No, I'm talking about Carrara reading instances from the .duf file. Currently it opens the file but ignores all the instances.

I wish Carrara had instancing like UltraScatter (even though I do not understand why it has 50000 instances limit ?), it reminds me on a very advanced instancing in Vue smiley

I don't know if I could get by with only 50K replications in Carrara - I've got scenes with hundreds of thousands of replicated objects in them and they'd look pretty bare with less. :)  I wouldn't mind having the affinity options and added rotational control that UltraScatter has though.

Carrara's limit is "only" 100K replications per replicator. Don't forget you can have multiple replicators and multiple scatters with UltraScatter . . .

edited October 2016

the secret headquarters works better after the UV wrap unchecked but you have to do it one by one as using the ABoo 23 to 3 hack makes the saved scene unloadable with an i/o error

it actually is mapped OK before but lights do not illuminate it until fixed'

also the reflection channel of all the shaders has maps making it very reflective, that might be easier fixed in DAZ studio apply DZdefault to all the shaders and delete those meshlights esp if using Carrara's engine, you can add the emission maps to the glow channels instead and if using Octane to the emission texture.

I made a light preset for the native engine as Misty has the set.

also the bridge and door rigging does not work

I made both props in D|S and created a morph target for the door but simply breaking the props into parts might be better in the vertex room, or rig in Carrara.

this is an Octane render using those included 3Delight unerenvironment meshlights as emitters

shading worked better less noise if used the model with emission maps in shaders instead of the meshlights

the iray version with awful camera import attempt and the subsequent Octane render with a few emitter map errors (names too similar)

zip
    zip
    Secret HQ lights.zip
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2016

video

my lights in default 3delight load then the fixed UV wrap unticked and no reflection shaders with emitter map glow on lights

later renders faster too

still rather desaturated though not sure why

maybe its all the light cones on the 22 spots?

edited October 2016

Ok new issue

replacing ABoo 23 with ABoo 3 has started making files unopenable getting an i/o error

this only started happening a week ago possibly since D|S beta update

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Where did you get ABoo either?  Did you try loading DS 4.9, not beta and trying?  Have you tried with Carrara?  I'm no help other than to ask questions. :(

edited October 2016
    wgdjohn said:

Where did you get ABoo either?  Did you try loading DS 4.9, not beta and trying?  Have you tried with Carrara?  I'm no help other than to ask questions. :(

is a notepad hack by Kakman on the saved .car file to fix wrapped U in UV wrap

and since ithe I/O error is a reading error from what I can Google I am guessing something has changed in the content library the original duf files from D|S point to and only thing new was the update.

seems consitent and nothing for it but to open every model in the vertex room one at a time and fix the uv wrap.

I started buying D|S only sets because could fix but this has stopped me dead in my tracks.

DAZ does not seem to want to sell us new content.

I accepted figures do not work but now they have made props unuseable too.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

yep.. Daz sux by not updating Carrara..boo hiss

Shakespeare's insult kit attached yes

shakespeares insult kit.jpg
    564 x 831 - 68K

Stezza you have no idea how big a list of insults I need, prob in many ancient languages too.

I was like a kid in a candy store buying all those fantastic new sets by ironman, Mely3D, and others, been a lot lately all look great and the ABoo hack fixed them for Carrara.

now the rug has been pulled from under my feet and my eyes drift back to the dwindling Poser stuff at Renderosity that was becoming my mainstay.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Sorry to hear, Wendy. I haven't been buying a lot of DUF-only things... fear stops me every time. Not just that, but it feels to me like DUF-Only products are made specifically to be less compatible with other software - like us Carrara users. There still are plenty of artists supporting the usual file standards we've all been using over the years.

I certainly don't mean to condemn all DUF-Only products like that... some might work just fine. But aside from freebies and perhaps some really, really inexpensive ones... if it's DUF-only... I move on and look elsewhere.

I have no clue what this whole wrapping UV issue is. I've read the posts, and understand that it's a PITA, but used to have a work-around. So it's DS's DUF output making this?

i13's Drawbridge has both DUF and CR2. I loaded in the DUF version and it works great. Here it is in Woodlands FS1 Sunset preset - tweaked the rotation and position of the primary ground of Woodlands to match up with the drawbridge - then made the ground and water of the drawbridge invisible via the shaders (it's all one mesh with material zones). I also added a couple pieces of Faveral's Castle Creator to extend the castle a little deeper into the background.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

I am having more frequent problems with the Daz Studio transfer utility.  For example, I got a V4 outfit by stzham (goes with Hamelian poses) from that other store site.  I loaded in Studio and used the ransfer utility to make compatible with G2F and saved as duf.  The top works fine.  The skirt won't load as Duf even though it loads in its default form.  Didn't Jonstark or someone have a file edit solution

hh01 io error.JPG
    702 x 493 - 44K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

doan suppose this stuff works in rara https://www.morph3d.com/minotaur  ?

• Has anyone tried "Iray Rain" (https://www.daz3d.com/iray-rain) in Carrara? I'm assuming that the shaders have to be rebuilt, but what about the geometry?

Thanks,

Brian

• MistyMist said:

doan suppose this stuff works in rara https://www.morph3d.com/minotaur  ?

well their initial freebie figure didn't terribly well so I doubt it.

I have had mixed results with any Unity content.

Unreal stuff works much better in Carrara.

• Has anyone tried "Iray Rain" (https://www.daz3d.com/iray-rain) in Carrara? I'm assuming that the shaders have to be rebuilt, but what about the geometry?

Thanks,

Brian

I think Carrara particles would kick that to the kerb amyway.