Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

anyone tried this hair in carrara? https://www.daz3d.com/jade-tiger-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

was thinkin nice for mermaids, but says "Dual Quaternion weightmapping technology"

got a bad feeling wont work

blindman said:

I had an issue with the Planet explorer suit that screwed up the textures when it was conformed to a character. it also caused long render times as well. I suspect it's linked to the way the planet explorer suit auto hides the character body parts during the conform, which is done in a way that Carrara cant handle.  I figured out a fix see the link below ( Ironically using Daz Studio  something dispite me raising a ticket for the Wiz's at Daz couldnt tell me )

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/108036/planet-explorer-for-g2-texture-failure-and-render-issues-daz-not-interested-solved#latest

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading Misty's post: "Hmmm I wonder if blindman's workaround would work here?", which is where I would start, if I was in that situation. I don't have the Minotaur 6, but really like it! I was already thinking that, if I did get into the minotaur thing, I'll probably go with the Genesis 1 version - I just seem to make all of my monsters Genesis 1, unless they're using original figures, like from TheAntFarm or Predatron, for example. Lorenzo Lorez makes an excellent Orc for background use, Genesis (Currently using a mix between some of RawArt's and the Troll for Genesis, along with other Genesis morphs) orcs work great for up-close. I also have RawArt's Satyros, but I'm not using him as a monster. Well... I have a bunch of his characters. I'll probably end up owning everything RawArt has made for Generation 4 - Genesis 2 eventually ;)

But man, that newer Minotaur 6 looks fan-freaking-tastic! 

EDIT: Sorry - got a bit babbly!!! LOL

minotaur6 looks scary,, woulda been perfect adversary for dragon war.   ohhh the frustration and heartache, the epic fail.
    backup plan is the predatron trogs, not nearly scary, but fugly enough  lol 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Predatron's Angor also works very well in Carrara. Again.. not scary unless you want him to be... but he's really cool! Demonecornuto is very scary!!!

Also, there is a Minotaur for M4... I think there's one for Genesis 1 too? RawArt!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

jamie olsen zd February 26, 2016 07:59

HI Dave

Thank you for the info. I have confirmed this issue with the Tasmanian Devil figure and have reported this error to the content team.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 
    Have a good day. 
    CSpencer

Been 7 months and nothing but the crickets chirping!

does anyone havea work around to get anything working on this product? no

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

HI Dave

Thank you for the info. I have confirmed this issue with the Tasmanian Devil figure and have reported this error to the content team.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 
    Have a good day. 
    CSpencer

Ha it should say "Have a good life"

Yeah... that's why I try to warn people to really look over a product before buying it.

If you're talking about this Tasmanian Devil, it's fairly clear that it's built for Daz Studio - meaning that we're pushing our luck for Carrara. If it was built for Poser... then I'd be surprised if it didn't work - other than perhaps morph dials not working. 

This thing is DUF only, meaning that the rigging was created directly in DS, which may or may not be Triax, hard to say, But then the fact that it gets the majority of its look from the LAMH plugin... yikes.... 

I don't know what you've tried/not tried.

One idea to try, however, would be to bring it into Daz Studio and look for reasons why it might not be working in Carrara from there. See if it works if it's exported as a CR2 for Poser... but I doubt it. Perhaps exporting as a DUF (even though it already is) may make it work better. If it's Triax, I wonder if DS can convert it to Poser style rigging? I know it can convert "to" Triax... hmmm.... 

When I would buy unique figures (not made by Daz3d) that were made for Poser, but didn't work right in Carrara, I'd open them in Poser and do to it what wasn't working in Carrara, then save it back into the runtime with a new name. I don't remeber that ever NOT working. It's been so long since I've done that though... I don't remember much of specifics. I think it was buying morphs that wouldn't INJect in Carrara for some reason - likely a script involved. I'd go into Poser and it would work fine.

So perhaps LAMH is applied in the main DUF file.

If so, open it in DS and remove everything that has to do with LAMH (since we know that just ain't gonna play nice in Carrara) and export a new DUF like that. Yeah... try that first! ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited September 2016

he might have a Poser version at SmithMicro's Content Paradise not looked, he does for many of his animals

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Yeah... I don't have any AM animals... I'll have to change that one of these days

edited September 2016

I have a collection of AM animals and I did cotact him several months ago about this issue which he gave me a working version for Carrara but DAZ hasn't updated the file yet and if ever I lose the fixed item from AM the revised working item should be available which it isn't..

Yes Dart I have tried all I can to make it work and nothing I've tried has done the trick.. But DAZ shouldn't be this slack in getting out a fix especially when HW animals work and DAZ is spruking that theirs will be better!.... better but just won't work in Carrara!

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited September 2016
    ToeJam said:

he might have a Poser version at SmithMicro's Content Paradise not looked, he does for many of his animals

checked it out but nope... not there ;-)

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited September 2016

Yeah, that's a drag. If the author provides an update, it should be updated accordingly. It probably will - it just has to wait its turn in the strict QA.

Just FYI, when we provide a new product for, say Daz Studio, it doesn't have to work in anything else - as a PA-submitted item. I know you know that, I just wanted to say it here.

The QA folks at Daz3d are excellent. We're supposed to run them through our own QA before ever submitting them. For mine, for example, it was so cool to be working with an agent whom Loves Carrara and gets a big kick out of my fun little innovations. Yet he went through it with a fine-toothed comb. It's quite an experience.

Part of the reason I'm always defending Daz3d is simply because they are such excellent people to work with - whom are all just throttle-wide-open busy all the time. When it comes down to it, with the huge amount of product traffic and the heavy amount of Quality Assurance, they are really pretty darned fast... considering. But beyond all of that, they're really cool people! 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

you would think a basic open mouth would work   no

Stezza said:

you would think a basic open mouth would work   no

Oh right. If the dials don't work, they don't work... and that sucks. Sometimes when I get something like that I contact Britney right away and trade it in for credit - buy something else. Other times I might just keep it anyway. Depends a lot on what it is. I have a few things that don't work and never traded them back. I'll either not use them at all or just not animate them.

We do need to remember that Carrara is not Poser and it is not Daz Studio. Most of the stuff works miraculously - so we might be a bit forgiving when something goes awry. Most other apps have that behavior with all of it.

yep.. they are all spelt different...

when it comes to basic stuff like an animal from DAZ not working but other stores don't have the same problem with their latest releases then one has to think what's going on with DAZ not supporting their own paid for software by having simple stuff that works.

The OTHER stores do .. and 7 months is laughable and shows their intentions. IMO sad

Guess this doesn't work to get G3 into carrara?

http://www.daz3d.com/alembic-exporter-for-daz-studio

carrara does not have an alembic importer so sadly no.

thanks.  was too dear anyhows  >.<

ToeJam said:

carrara does not have an alembic importer so sadly no.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

The new Tyranasaurus Rex does not load properly in Carrara (skeleton and mesh not properly attached).  A work around is to export from Daz Studio in collada format dae and then load in Carrara.  When you first open the collada file in Carrara it may appear funky but it will pose manually.

http://www.daz3d.com/tyrannosaurus-rex-tyrant-lizard-king

not surprising diomede..

can the rigging be unattached and reattached somehow to make it Carrara workable, or just stick to collada or in my case my old Rex model from a time when things worked in Carrara no

TRex.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 725K

I was not able to simply detach and reattach the rigging.  I will be using collada.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Wendy figures out a better workaround.

Bad sign, indeed.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I wonder... is there a way to detach in Studio?  Then export mesh from DS... imorpt in Carrara... save as mesh and import in DS and attach rigging.  I'd better stop... making self dizzy. :)

wgdjohn, Load in Studio.  Export in Collada .dae format.  Import the collada file to Carrara. It will pose manually.

or just use dinoraul's tyrannasaurus here in the store.. works perfectly in Carrara yes

yes

Stezza said:

or just use dinoraul's tyrannasaurus here in the store.. works perfectly in Carrara yes

edited October 2016
    Stezza said:

thanks for the headsup :)

Post edited by Headwax on

I'm noticing a pattern here: Custom made rigs, made in DS, not by Daz3d, not working out well or even at all in Carrara.

wgdjohn said:

I wonder... is there a way to detach in Studio?  Then export mesh from DS... imorpt in Carrara... save as mesh and import in DS and attach rigging.  I'd better stop... making self dizzy. :)

Yes. That goes with anything except that, instead of 'detaching the rig' we'd instead find the OBJ file for the model (in the Data folder) and bring that in and use the Content Creation Tools to build a new rig. Yikes, though. If it matched up fairly similarly to another figure that does work, say the Tyrannosaurus by DinoRaul, for example, we could try the transfer utility to use that rig on this one. But for that to work, they'd need to be really similar, I think.

So for that, we could open that OBJ in Carrara along with the other figure, and use the vertex modeler to match things up to the figure we want to borrow the rig from, then export the OBJ from Carrara, then into DS.

But that's just not practical unless there's a strong NEED for that particular figure. I'd go the route Stezza suggests myself.

I bet that the older Daz3d dinosaurs work well in Carrara as well.

From memory, detaching and reattaching a rig in C means you lose your morphs as well?

I got nothing

you got plenty - just not on this

edited October 2016

after Blind Demon am not going to bother buying too many DAZ studio rigged things, seems to be a new issue with later builds.

Yet the Hivewire cat works which really says a lot

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on