The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• I think the files for the game are corrputed.  Hard drive diagnostics look ok.  I did scan the computer for viruses.  Maybe I should look for adware.  I did not notice any strange advertisements on my computer though  Hmm.  Time for me to download a 25 GB game again.  Uggg.

• I think the files for the game are corrputed.  Hard drive diagnostics look ok.  I did scan the computer for viruses.  Maybe I should look for adware.  I did not notice any strange advertisements on my computer though  Hmm.  Time for me to download a 25 GB game again.  Uggg.

Always look for adware/malware/junkware/...!!  I swear by "MalwareBytes" but get it straight from the horse's mouth here. www.malwarebytes.org  (Although I've noticed recently that it now links you to www.malwarebytes.com )  Free version is good for a quick manual check.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Only use www.malwarebytes.org -- there's ransomware floating around pretending to be malwarebytes.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited September 2016

Only use www.malwarebytes.org -- there's ransomware floating around pretending to be malwarebytes.

I agree that there are a lot of imposters out there, but the official version has always been at www.malwarebytes.org  Do you get linked to www.malwarebytes.com when you go to www.malwarebytes.org?  Recently I've tried from several machines and get redirected there from all of them.  I suspect that MalwareBytes is now using the ".com" domain as their primary domain for sales. 

Please don't tell me my whole lab has been corrupted.  Arghhh. surprise

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

I heard of that

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited September 2016

I heard of that

Hackers.  I'd like to shrink them down to roaches and stomp on 'em.

Again. laugh  And again.  And one more time.

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • Only use www.malwarebytes.org -- there's ransomware floating around pretending to be malwarebytes.

I agree that there are a lot of imposters out there, but the official version has always been at www.malwarebytes.org  Do you get linked to www.malwarebytes.com when you go to www.malwarebytes.org?  Recently I've tried from several machines and get redirected there from all of them.  I suspect that MalwareBytes is now using the ".com" domain as their primary domain for sales. 

My browser is doing that too, so hopefully it's legitimate.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Happy UnBirthday!

CAKE

• MistyMist said:

Happy UnBirthday!

CAKE

An Unbirthday Cake should have the candles on the bottom.enlightened

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    MistyMist said:

Happy UnBirthday!

CAKE

Much better than Unhappy Birthday. yes

Nummy noodles.

Tjohn said:

Nummy noodles.

gummi noodles 

MistyMist said:

Happy UnBirthday!

CAKE

An Unbirthday Cake should have the candles on the bottom.enlightened

bottom/top winktopsyturvy,teehee,sideways

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Yes, it looks like the .com is theirs now.

striking out in the fasr grab, megagrab, and NRs  is it me or did the spacetimecontinuum shift ?

nuthin i want or need. should feel relief really instead of complainin

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited September 2016

Yes, it looks like the .com is theirs now.

Whew! smiley  Thank you.  Because I know in the past that I had accidentally gone to the ".com" and it looked similar to the MalwareBytes site but behaved suspiciously.  I quickly backed out and went to the ".org" site and all was back to normal but I was very conscious not to go to the ".com" site by accident again.  However, as you and others and my experiments are saying, the ".com" seems to be legitimate now.

I'd never checked the ownership records of those domains.  Probably should have. blush

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Thanks for the advice everyone.  I couldn't find anything wrong with my computer so far.  The good news is Bryce 3D or Carrara have not crashed yet.

Jan19 said:

Do I need to explain how I got my username?

You ate Little Red Riding Hood?

Nope that was the big bad wolf.  My user name is Miss Bad Wolf.  

Ow.

I used to get bitten by vicious fish when I had guppies. Seriously those guppies would keep biting me while I tried to service their tank.

remember the seamonkey figure?  think she was a seamonkey ...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

...the house I am living in will be switching ISP carriers.  May be offline for a day or so in the coming week.

Also not very certain of what AV the new service bundles in (if they even bundle one at all). Xfinity included Norton which I have used for years even on my own.  May have to go out and get my own Norton licence again, as I trust MS security to protect me about as good as a set of screen doors on the airlock of the ISS (particularly since I will be turning updating completely off after next week Friday as MS will be introducing a similar "all or nothing" update policy to what W10 has on W7 and 8.1 users).

If they use McAfee, I'm still going to get my own Norton licence as in the past when I had McAfee, my system still got infected.  Norton has been rock solid for me for years. Unfortunately it will be 39$ I didn't think I'd need to spend.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited September 2016

I don't know if this is ironic or not, but it certainly is stupid...

I was just reading an article about how food is often wasted due to inconsistent expiration dates (which except in regards to certain foods that can become dangerous if expired, has mostly become meaningless, as it more or less an honor system, largely left unmonitored)...

But anyway, the site was a health food and nutrition site... On the right side of the screen, as with many sites these days, are a number of GIFfy ads scrolling back and forth, clamoring for my attention... Most are for "green" product, but the biggest one right in the middle was for a burger chain called Checkers... 

Big fat burger... Large fries... Onion rings... And a large soft drink...

Which just begs the question as to whether or not most people running a site ever check to see what kinda ads are running on the side... My guess?... No.

Post edited by McGyver on

I used to get bitten by vicious fish when I had guppies. Seriously those guppies would keep biting me while I tried to service their tank.

Are you sure they were guppies?...

In dim lighting piranhas can often be mistaken for guppies...

In really dim lighting...

Its kinda hard to mistake them actually... 

Don't stick your hand in a tank of piranhas.

Jan19 said:

Do I need to explain how I got my username?

You ate Little Red Riding Hood?

Nope that was the big bad wolf.  My user name is Miss Bad Wolf.  

That's a Doctor Who reference, isn't it?

edited September 2016
    Tjohn said:

Tjohn said:

Ow.

He does look a little evil too...

Post edited by McGyver on

The page or site is really acting up a lot... Screen keeps changing and taking me to the "become an affiliate" page... Grrrr... No love for mobile devices or apple right now...

I'm outta here for tonight...

My friend Henry is one sick goldfish.  He is bloated and having difficulty swimming.  There may be hope for him as he is still swimming even though it is a tad difficult for him. 

i'm worried the cpu cooling paste stuff in my render rig isn't good quality.

does it roll into balls like rubber cement or mercury?  how ya get the old stuff off?

do my cudas need the cooling paste?

My friend Henry is one sick goldfish.  He is bloated and having difficulty swimming.  There may be hope for him as he is still swimming even though it is a tad difficult for him. 

Bloated? Difficulty swimming? Hmmm... Let us know how Henry does. I have the same symptoms

This discussion has been closed.