The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    MistyMist said:

can post my carrara entry naos smiley

I see you got a tentacle in there!  wink

MistyMist said:

how can I find something when I forgot what I am looking for?

Statistics show that most of us stop looking for things after we find them.  So, I suggest if you stop looking for whatever it was that you were looking for you will discover that you've already found it.  Problem solved.  You're welcome.

is usually found in the very last place looked 

When trying to find something, I try to look in the last place first.  It doesn't work all the time, though.  laugh 

Dana

sriesch said:

I would like to thank whomever changed the title of this thread again so I don't have to think about the old title every time I check this forum, must less stress now.

Hey!  I just realized...that's my title suggestion!  Thank you, whoever!

Dana

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2016

Your suggestion, customised slightly by Miss Wolf. It was just so topical to the last convo on the other thread.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,008

Jan19 said:

Sweet potatoes or sweat potatoes

Which one is lunch and which one makes no sense?

Neither of 'em make sense. :-)  Sweet potatoes.  Very nasty.  Especially roasted with possum. surprise

I like sweet potatoes when served as candied yams.  Brown sugar makes things better!  laugh  Diane has a recipe that includes crushed pineapple and brown sugar...really yummy.  But plain?  No thanks.

Dana

I used to have a recipe that combines sweet and ordinary potatoes, layered in alternate layers and braised in cider.  The cookery book it was in has been misplaced during one or the other of our House moves unfortunately

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:

can post my carrara entry naos smiley

I see you got a tentacle in there!  wink

Tentacoos !!

is the broadway debut of

Chohole said:

I used to have a recipe that combines sweet and ordinary potatoes, layered in alternate layers and braised in cider.  The cookery book it was in has been misplaced during one or the other of our House moves unfortunately

hopefully the cookery book new owners know the treasure they haz.

i would love to see the joy of cooking book before anyone cared about cholesterol smiley and yuckindecisionmargerine.

haven't found the last place yet

there was a cartoon doggie, he was so happy over his doggie snack he would do like a funky dance

isn't Muttley

edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:
    Chohole said:

hopefully the cookery book new owners know the treasure they haz.

i would love to see the joy of cooking book before anyone cared about cholesterol smiley and yuckindecisionmargerine.

Well to be honest, over this side of the pond it was quite a while after the war before rationing ended  and butter and similar stuff was in fairly short supply.  Margarine was used in a lot of cooking.  Cakes were made with marg and pastry etc was made with margarine or lard (rendered down and clarified pig fat). Puddings and some Pastry could also be made with suet, which is teh fat that comes from arounfd the heart and kidneys of cattle or sheep . Suet Pastry tends to be softer in texture, even when baked.. Dripping was saved from when a roast joint of meat was cooked, and that was eaten spread on hot toast instead of butter, something that is almost never heard of today.  I can imagine what the fancy nancy health conscious people would think of the idea of spreading pure beef fat onto bread or toast, probably lightly sprinkled with salt (another baddy nowadays).

But quite seriously, in this country at least, some experts are deciding that cooking with lard and using lard instead of veggie oils is actually healthier. and we may have been wrong in wanting people to use veg oils instead.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited September 2016

I remember margarine. (*gag*)  Even here in the US when I was young.  I had no choice it's what mom bought.  It's what I thought was "normal".  Then I ate at a friends house and had butter and realized what crap margarine is.  I could believe that it was not butter. 

Now 60+ years later I love butter.  I don't put it on bread or toast and I don't eat a lot of stuff that requires it but when I do it's butter, unsalted butter.  It's the only thing I use except for cooking oils. 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited September 2016

when it's christmas cookie baking time,  it TIS butter butter butter butter butter butter 

the christmas cookie recipe i used in the 70s was half butter, half crisco shortening.  butter dough out of the cookieshooter too soft to stick.

thinkin of trying makin honeybuns this year.

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited September 2016

cannat believe is end of September already.

every year i promises myself one of those mini bundt cake pans. my nana didn't have any fancy pans. 
    i mean, doesn't make it taste better.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    MistyMist said:
    McGyver said:

how can I find something when I forgot what I am looking for?

Statistics show that most of us stop looking for things after we find them.  So, I suggest if you stop looking for whatever it was that you were looking for you will discover that you've already found it.  Problem solved.  You're welcome.

It was a tutorial I was looking for and I found it but all that searching made me exhausted so I did not watch it.

I find way too many (video) tutorials to be excellent sleep aids... Or the cause of serious frustration.

I want to know how to weld a vertex in a particular program, so after watching five fifteen minute long videos that don't really show what they claim they'll show, I find one that does... Sorta... But it's twenty minutes long and by the time the guy gets to the point after having gone through the history of the tool and why he likes his tablet pen, he finally gets to the point I started watching for... For the whole video he was talking like droopy dog, but then suddenly the caffeine from what I can only guess was 12 double espressos kicks in and he starts zipping the cursor around here and there and talking a mile a minute and BAM... "So that's it... Hope you like the video!...." 

I'm already partly brainlocked and numb from the previous videos, but that just shuts my brain down completely... I keep trying to reverse to the point where he starts explaining what I need to know, but being a YouTube video it either goes way before or way after, and being near the end it keeps going to the next video if I go too far and when it does I have to start over and then I have to wait for the same damn commercial to try and sell me car or cow insurance for the mandatory first couple of seconds which is just sealing the deal that I now hate the insurance company and will never buy their cow insurance... 

Why does the simplest thing have to be a video?  

Once upon a time people wrote stuff instead of creating videos for everything.

How to weld a vertex in Slappy3D:  Select vertices to weld... In the menu bar at top of screen, go to- OPTIONS... In drop down menu go to- GLUE... In that drop down click - JOIN... In that drop down- JOIN VERTICES... 

Slappy3D is not real but a metaphor for most software (especially paid) that comes sans instructions, or long ago let their tutorial links expire and now rely on YouTube to solve their instructional needs

One does not need a fifteen minute long video that covers turning on the computer (seriously, one guy actually starts the video without having the program open... And then it won't open right away and he is puzzled by that), to do one simple thing that is less then a paragraph of info.

Why is it that as technology becomes more powerful and holds the potential to improve our lives and make information, and learning, better and smoother, humans take those gains and potential and muck it up so as its either hardly better then before or just plain complicated and terrible... ?

We are going to be so screwed eventually... Sometimes I see the laziness of people manifest in certain ways and it's not so hard to envision the evolution and consequences of certain behaviors... The Twittery textspeak and YouTubish desire to forego written explanations, makes me wonder what language will be like in a hundred years... Will at some not too distant point everything become abbreviations, icons and videos? Will only handfuls of "traditionalists" even bother to know how to write, and aside from them, just scholars, scientists and tech-elite will be the only ones to hold these skills... And the "common man" will just go the path of least resistance, letting technology hold his hand for everything... It's gonna really suck should a solar EMP or some disaster take away that technology... It'll be a new Dark Ages, while society reorganizes.

Ooooh... I found pound cake! Gotta go!

do you wanna know how to weld 2 verts in carrara? the carrara forum very helpful!

Naaa, actually that would be easy... There is a lot of written info still available and the forums here are great. 

Whatever it was, either Silo or 3D coat (possibly) was several months ago, I was fixing an old fairly detailed model I had made in SketchUp, but on export, a bunch of vertices became detached... I wanted to work on the model in Silo or 3D Coat, because of a specific tool... I think I eventually gave up and fixed it in Hexagon, but trying to fix it in Silo or 3D Coat was super frustrating... It probably was Silo, because even though it's a good modeler, and still for sale... Info on certain operations is hard to find... 

I hate asking in some software forums because either there are language barriers (translation) or people don't fully read or try to understand what you are asking... It often seems like they only read a few words and jump to an answer... I appreciate they tried, but then you have to re explain it several times and often it just makes it worse because the origin question was probably formated the best and in trying to find a different way to express the question, you just have more people only skimming the thread and answer stuff you never asked...  So generally I just try my best to find the answer on my own and not bother anyone... But over here, it's different... Mostly, people do read the question and try to answer that.

I've often seen people chide someone for not using Google first... I don't know if it's just me, what I search for, or just fate, but Google is not my friend... More like cruel, mocking antagonist, because it hardly ever gives me what I'm looking for (without trying twenty version of the topic) easily or quickly... unless I'm googling something really, really stupid.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    McGyver said:

I've often seen people chide someone for not using Google first... I don't know if it's just me, what I search for, or just fate, but Google is not my friend... More like cruel, mocking antagonist, because it hardly ever gives me what I'm looking for (without trying twenty version of the topic) easily or quickly... unless I'm googling something really, really stupid.

Welcome to the internet.

McGyver said:

Welcome to the internet.

google foo.

and then the most innocent of questions runs into rule34.  

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,684
    MistyMist said:
    McGyver said:

Welcome to the internet.

google foo.

and then the most innocent of questions runs into rule34.  

Sometimes I use Bing.

I tried using Bing... It's good for finding restaurants and making me mad, but the last time I used it was like a year ago and it seemed to like to try and guess secret meanings hidden in my searches.

I use bing because they give me points for searching.  Not sure what points do but they might do something.

I am currently on hold and I hate being on hold.  I think I have been on hold for about half an hour.   The looping music is getting annoying.

As long as it's not Harpsichord music... I was on the phone for thirty minutes waiting while "Most Unpopular Harpsichord Tunes of the Last Two Centuries" played on a loop... Got disconnected and had to go through t all over again.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited September 2016

While that image of the 5 car garage was valid even just 30 years ago, the goal of higher education today seems to be earning enough money to be able to afford to move back in with your parents while you pay off your higher education before retiring at 80. indecision

...too true.

Tjohn said:

I do not like McDonald's

Neither do I, but the start of the fast food chains coincided with the end of the drug store dining counter.

Oh there are restaurants in gas stations though 

...yeah, I felt I've eaten at a few of those over the years. and there were no petrol pumps outside either.

The lunch counter I miss was the one at the old Gimbels Department store in Milwaukee WI. They still even had Phospahte sodas into the 1960s.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Got to talk to someone and now off the phone.  All that waiting to talk to someone for a few minutes.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited September 2016

Google is my friend.  I like Google, it reads my mind.  Bing tries to pick my wallet.

If I were on a quiz show and allowed to make a call to a "friend" it would be Google.  And that is what I mean when I tell people on the forum "Google is your friend".

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,710
    edited September 2016

This discussion was created from comments split from: My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread.

OK, complaint - someone forgot to lock the old thread and KK posted. This post was my first attempt to split his post out.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,710
    edited September 2016

This discussion was created from comments split from: My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread.

Complaint: and this post was from the second attempt to split KK's post from the old thread, as the first attempt left it behind. Still, oil swell that end swell.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Huh?

MistyMist said:

haven't found the last place yet

there was a cartoon doggie, he was so happy over his doggie snack he would do like a funky dance

isn't Muttley

Snuffles

McGyver said:

As long as it's not Harpsichord music... I was on the phone for thirty minutes waiting while "Most Unpopular Harpsichord Tunes of the Last Two Centuries" played on a loop... Got disconnected and had to go through t all over again.

kyoto kid said:

While that image of the 5 car garage was valid even just 30 years ago, the goal of higher education today seems to be earning enough money to be able to afford to move back in with your parents while you pay off your higher education before retiring at 80. indecision

...too true.

Tjohn said:

I do not like McDonald's

Neither do I, but the start of the fast food chains coincided with the end of the drug store dining counter.

Oh there are restaurants in gas stations though 

...yeah, I felt I've eaten at a few of those over the years. and there were no petrol pumps outside either.

The lunch counter I miss was the one at the old Gimbels Department store in Milwaukee WI. They still even had Phospahte sodas into the 1960s.

Eat here and get gas. smiley

This discussion has been closed.