TabascoJack's House of Hot Sauce and Art

Comments

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited September 2016

A trio of confident women heading out to take the city by storm....watch out, here they come!

Let's Go!

On a side note, I just picked up Vue 2015 on sale (30% off and a free upgrade to 2016 when it's released).  I may be quiet for a few weeks while I figure out how to use it well.

Ready For Action@0,75x.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 988K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited September 2016

You'll have to post and let us know how the Vue thing goes.  I downloaded the free Pioneer for the 2014 version and never did figure things out.  I've done better with Bryce now since trying it this last time and I've decided to download the free version of the Vue Pioneer 2015 to give it another try.  Whether I actually buy depends on how well I manage this time around.  Did you do the subscription thing for the upgrade or did you get some other offer for an upgrade?  I definitely want to see pictures when you figure it all out! :)

edit:  I forgot to say I really like your girls!  They definitely look like they are going on the hunt tonight!  :)

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • They have an offer going right now through Oct 10,  that purchasing 2015 gets you the upgrade for free.

• Ah, I found that!  Thanks.  I'll have to see what I can do with the free version between now and Oct. 10!!  I may consider getting it if I can figure it out.

•  

edit:  I forgot to say I really like your girls!  They definitely look like they are going on the hunt tonight!  :)

Thanks!  

I'm not as happy with it as I want to be...  It doesn't quite catch the feeling I was going for, but I can't figure out why,  I don't know if it's the lighting, the posing, the expressions.....or most likely all three that add up to it not matching up with what I had in my head.

I don't think it's a bad render, just not what I had hoped for.....

On the other hand, while working on it I discovered a fair amount skin shader changes I want to make to my base characters, so I've got that going for me........laugh

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

And now we get the final product.   I don't have any before pictures, just after ones..

Front Exterior

Rear Exterior

Evening exterior

Kitchen / Great Room

In San Jose, California that house would cost about eight million.  More in San Francisco. 

• The girls look good!  I see what you mean and after looking at it a bit more I wonder if its not the girl in the green dress that's throwing it off just a bit.  The other two look very natural and at ease, but she looks a bit stiffer.  Maybe because both of her shoulders are back a touch too much?  Not sure.  And I think her teeth are a shade too bright.  my eyes go directly to her in when I look at this instead of all three together.  Don't know if that helps any.  It's still really good, I love looking at modern scenes especially since I rarely do them and can't ever think of a good set up lol.  The look confident and happy to be going out.

• dracorn said:

And now we get the final product.   I don't have any before pictures, just after ones..

Front Exterior

Rear Exterior

Evening exterior

Kitchen / Great Room

In San Jose, California that house would cost about eight million.  More in San Francisco. 

...and that's yet another reason I never moved out to the Bay Area.....

Not that my current house is anywhere close to the model, but still.

• The girls look good!  I see what you mean and after looking at it a bit more I wonder if its not the girl in the green dress that's throwing it off just a bit.  The other two look very natural and at ease, but she looks a bit stiffer.  Maybe because both of her shoulders are back a touch too much?  Not sure.  And I think her teeth are a shade too bright.  my eyes go directly to her in when I look at this instead of all three together.  Don't know if that helps any.  It's still really good, I love looking at modern scenes especially since I rarely do them and can't ever think of a good set up lol.  The look confident and happy to be going out.

It was her pose that I wrestled with the most.  And you're right, her teeth are too bright.  I was going to fix that in postwork, but missed it.

I had fun making her jade pendant though.

edited September 2016

Closeup of May

MayJade.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 926K
    edited September 2016

You'll have to post and let us know how the Vue thing goes.  I downloaded the free Pioneer for the 2014 version and never did figure things out.  I've done better with Bryce now since trying it this last time and I've decided to download the free version of the Vue Pioneer 2015 to give it another try.  Whether I actually buy depends on how well I manage this time around.  Did you do the subscription thing for the upgrade or did you get some other offer for an upgrade?  I definitely want to see pictures when you figure it all out! :)

After watching some introductory videos - I slapped together a simple scene.

A few terrains, two trees, and some non-volumetric clouds, built in shaders.

This is really cool software.  It's what Bryce could have been if it had continued to be developed.  

And then combine it with FilterForge's NPR capabilities....wow.

VueTest2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 264K
    VueTestNPR.jpg
    800 x 450 - 220K
  • The pendant is awesome!  I have my laptop back so I need to make the time to figure blender out once and for all.

So that is Vue?  What's that running at the moment?  That looks really good

• Okay, so I might hate you just a little bit now with that 'slapped together a simple scene' comment.  Sigh.  I was never able to get even that much of a simple scene the few times I tried to figure Vue out when I tried it a couple of years ago.  I will definitely have to try it again now that I've managed to get a simple scene together in Bryce.  I'll have to install the new pioneer version I downloaded and see what I can do with it now that I've a little more experience with all of these different programs.  Okay, hate might be too strong a word, but there is some definite jealousy in there.  ;)

Now that I have that little bit of jealousy out of my system, it is a really beautiful little scene.  You did a great job on it.  I think I like the original better, but the NPR version is definitely an interesting effect.  I do like it very much.  If that is a simple scene, I imagine you will be able to spectacular scenes once you have it completely figured out.  :)  You did good.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

After watching some introductory videos - I slapped together a simple scene.

A few terrains, two trees, and some non-volumetric clouds, built in shaders.

This is really cool software.  It's what Bryce could have been if it had continued to be developed.  

And then combine it with FilterForge's NPR capabilities....wow.

I am going to ask     which filter forge filter did you use.   please

• Chohole said:

I used  Paint HDRtist.

• The pendant is awesome!  I have my laptop back so I need to make the time to figure blender out once and for all.

So that is Vue?  What's that running at the moment?  That looks really good

Yeah, that's Vue 2015, with a minor tweak of Photoshop color balancing.

Thanks!

• Okay, so I might hate you just a little bit now with that 'slapped together a simple scene' comment.  Sigh.  I was never able to get even that much of a simple scene the few times I tried to figure Vue out when I tried it a couple of years ago.  I will definitely have to try it again now that I've managed to get a simple scene together in Bryce.  I'll have to install the new pioneer version I downloaded and see what I can do with it now that I've a little more experience with all of these different programs.  Okay, hate might be too strong a word, but there is some definite jealousy in there.  ;)

Now that I have that little bit of jealousy out of my system, it is a really beautiful little scene.  You did a great job on it.  I think I like the original better, but the NPR version is definitely an interesting effect.  I do like it very much.  If that is a simple scene, I imagine you will be able to spectacular scenes once you have it completely figured out.  :)  You did good.

If you can get scenes together in Bryce, getting them in Vue should be about the same process.   Create a few terrains, move them around so they layer front to back, stretch 'em if necessary.  Apply a basic material (in this case it was "Fall Ground Cover" or something like that.  Add a tree or two, use the drop to ground feature, and click the cloud button.  That's really all it was.

I will say, I feel they really hamstring the free version with the rendering limitations.  I don't know if it's the resolution, the available materials, or what, but it feels to me like it came together much easier in Studio than it did in Pioneer.

Of course, I also learned the basics of Bryce in between the two, so maybe that's why it felt easier.  Who knows?

Chohole said:

I used  Paint HDRtist.

Tahnkyou

• I will try Vue again even if it is the Pioneer version.  If I'm successful, I'll seriously consider getting it again.  Ever since I found out about Bryce and Vue, I have had a shot in the back of my head that I would love to do and I can't do it in DS.  It might be possible in Carrara, but I know it would be possible in Bryce or Vue if I can just figure them out enough.  To be fair, I haven't tried Vue since I first started two years ago.  I was able to figure out how to do that one basic scene in Bryce recently so odds are I would be able to figure Vue out now.  I would love to be able to put this scene I have in my head together.

I really did mean what I wrote in the nicest way.  I don't really hate that you were able to put that scene together so quickly.  You have some mad skills that I really admire.  I'll give it a try soon.  But first, It seems I have a space scene I swore I was going to do this weekend.  ;)

I will try Vue again even if it is the Pioneer version.  If I'm successful, I'll seriously consider getting it again.  Ever since I found out about Bryce and Vue, I have had a shot in the back of my head that I would love to do and I can't do it in DS.  It might be possible in Carrara, but I know it would be possible in Bryce or Vue if I can just figure them out enough.  To be fair, I haven't tried Vue since I first started two years ago.  I was able to figure out how to do that one basic scene in Bryce recently so odds are I would be able to figure Vue out now.  I would love to be able to put this scene I have in my head together.

I really did mean what I wrote in the nicest way.  I don't really hate that you were able to put that scene together so quickly.  You have some mad skills that I really admire.  I'll give it a try soon.  But first, It seems I have a space scene I swore I was going to do this weekend.  ;)

TBH  I could never get on with Vue.  Bryce I mastered pre internet, using just a 2 page article in a Mag and a mag cover copy of Bryce 2.

• Chohole said:

TBH  I could never get on with Vue.  Bryce I mastered pre internet, using just a 2 page article in a Mag and a mag cover copy of Bryce 2.

Things just click differently with people.  I tried GIMP first, couldn't get into it.  Took to Photoshop with minimal effort.  Don't know why, the concepts are almost identical.  The first time I looked at blender, I was confused as heck.  The next time, it made sense, and I'm creating stuff.  Bryce I understood, I think it's an amazingly powerful piece of software, but I struggled mightily with materials and other aspects of it.  I'd love for Daz to actually enhance it and bring it up to current technological levels and current user experience best practices.  I think it would be an absolutely fantastic product if they did so.

If you can get scenes together in Bryce, getting them in Vue should be about the same process.   Create a few terrains, move them around so they layer front to back, stretch 'em if necessary.  Apply a basic material (in this case it was "Fall Ground Cover" or something like that.  Add a tree or two, use the drop to ground feature, and click the cloud button.  That's really all it was.

I will say, I feel they really hamstring the free version with the rendering limitations.  I don't know if it's the resolution, the available materials, or what, but it feels to me like it came together much easier in Studio than it did in Pioneer.

Of course, I also learned the basics of Bryce in between the two, so maybe that's why it felt easier.  Who knows?

I thought it was suppose to be basically the same, but limits on importing objects and a logo on all renders.  So, you tried the Pioneer before buying the Studio version?  I know the last time I tried it was the 2014 Pioneer version.  I kind of hope the 2015 is better.  I'm finishing up some experiments tonight and then I'll install the 2015 Pioneer.  After I get my space render done, I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out this time around.

• I tried Pioneer about 6-7 months ago.  I think it limits the resolution of the renders, as well as the logo.  Not sure if it also limits the cores (maybe I'm confusing it with FF).

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Ahhhh I want that dream home - but your version!! That came out amazing. And that bathroom.. You made me want that bathroom in real life! 

I really love what you did. I am going to try and score the whole house (if I can afford it) during the PC+ sale.  Although I am not sure I could get it to look even close to as cool as you made it look. It will still be fun to try - and I could really use some interior environments. 

• Thanks. @divamakeup!  It was fun redoing it, even though it got a bit tedious sometimes.  It's great seeing how those older products can look great with a little TLC.   

There's probably a metaphor in there for real life, but I'll let that go for now......laugh

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Wow You have done an awsome job with all the retexturing, I#ve never had that much patience tp do that. I hope to see more with that setting, the sart with the girls is promising.

edited September 2016

Unfortunately I can't take advantage of today's catch-up sale; I spent my budget on other software this month.

The render below is from running through an online tutorial.  In doing so, I ended up learning some about the function editor.  It's a standard node editor, similar to Filter Forge's, and looks like it's got a whole bunch of capability.  The other really nice feature is the ability to layer textures, which I didn't find easy to do in Bryce (other then by stacking terrains).  In the render, I've got a base ground texture, with it's own colors and bump, a sand texture with its own parameters (including toplogical ones), and a topsoil layer (the red in the mountains) with its own parameters.

The rocks, weeds, and cactus are all deployed by "EcoSystems" which randomly populates an area.  You can set affinitiy, so in the case below, the cactus layer was set to instantiate amongst the rocks.  The weeds were more randomly deployed.

I still need to get a better grasp on the atmosphere and lighting.

The render took just about an hour using two networked systems.  I'm going to see how easy it is to use Amazon Web Services to set up a rendering node.

DesertMountainTut.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 454K
  • I think you are getting a really good handle on the Vue software Jack.

• I really like that desert scene.  Kind of reminds me of an old mine town near Phoenix that we visited.  The scenery was almost exactly the same!  You are doing very good.  :)

• @Knittingmommy, @Saphirewild, thanks very much for the kind words!