Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Dave, that Darlek light close up looks very good. The models are, as you say, very detailed. Nice work on the light render, it looks convincingly glowy to me.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Here's another TARDIS one... is it too subtle?

Daleks-eye.jpg
    620 x 620 - 108K
  • canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Savage. Wow, That great. Maybe sometime in the future I could get to level of detail like that.
    @LordHardDrive. Do I detect an edge in your comments. Maybe the argue on prosessors got you down?
    Just having fun. just playing around with these.

Ball_of_Color2_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 316K
    Ball_of_Color_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 335K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

For years have always been fascinated by the oriental side-of–things – its culture, its science, its philosophy. So, below, a contributory final artwork submission.

Title: “China Girl” (but, of course, David Bowie had no influence in those years :) )

Jay

Draft1-China_girl.jpg
    1753 x 856 - 1M
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Sure are a lot of fantastic images posted here! Good work, everyone.
    I offer my little "study". It is testing out what "legacy" clothes will work for me. Here is Genesis with V4 shape, Jeremy material. I didn't have the patience to fiddle with a different skin material but I wanted something less feminine than the default Lana. Jeremy worked just fine. The clothes are Daedalus for M3. I was pleased with the autofit so that Vicky can wear those working clothes. The back side of the boot shafts are poking through but at the angle I chose, it didnt matter. Used the Hotair Balloon from DAZ, modified at the leather cushion to brown.
    The cloud is volumentric. I was thinkig to have some ground below visible, but I couldn't make the clouds work. So I chose to go above the surface with the deep blue sky. The pose is M4 general poses "jumping" which I inverted. This is how I work. I tinker with things, and then see what the results suggest for an image. So here is a mishmash of Genesis, V4, M3 and M4 rendered into a Bryce image that worked for me.

Falling.jpg
    800 x 512 - 89K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Your work never ceases to amaze me. The detail of the eye stalk, and the distorted image of the TARDIS as though it's reflected off of curved glass. That's a very good job.

@canyon: Those are very, very interesting. They remind me of Lava Lamps. Love the color of the spheres.

@Jay: Is that image a painting or a rendered image? It is beautiful.

@Ice: That's a nice image. You seem to catch the facial expression of someone in that situation, including the hands and legs. Nicely done.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

@LordHardDrive. Do I detect an edge in your comments. Maybe the argue on prosessors got you down?

What, in the comment about the Dalek light? No, no edge at all and the conversation about the processors is old news, people have been polorized about AMD vs Intel for a long time. I knew when I suggested an AMD processor might be better then an Intel Processor in any way was going to cause someone to feel the need to defend Intel. Besides I got too many real world problems like my wife's broken hip and being in the hospital to let a disagreement on computer hardware get me down. Also if it did I certainly wouldn't take it out on someone who wasn't involved in that dicussion about processors. Frankly I'm a bit insulted you would even suggest such a thing.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Dave
    Liking the closeup on the previous page, but didn't like the grime much on the wider shot.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

All the renders are so inspiring. They show the awesome capabilities of Bryce.

@ Atlantis cool interview. I enjoyed viewing your renders too, the first time I saw them.

Still having problems with positioning the camera and the objects, I tried another abstract using only a torus, default Bryce sky and one of David’s material from the Aaa Varient – Pro Material, changed the values for the reflection, Ambience and Diffusion. No additional light source was added. My computer is not good for TA renders so I need to pass on that for now, one was rendered using Superfine with 64 RPP (2hrs) and the other a regular one (15mins). Can anyone tell which is which; both look the same to me? lol

I exported the image as a Hdr Image and rendered it as an IBL backdrop, with a reflective ground plane, but I got this error. Can someone explain this error? Thanks

hdri-error.jpg
    650 x 548 - 64K
    hdrbackdrop.jpg
    800 x 400 - 28K
    torus2.jpg
    700 x 525 - 361K
    torus1.jpg
    700 x 526 - 346K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Don't know about Superfine and regular, but the colors in the first image are slightly more intense. Sorry, can't help with the error message.

edited November 2012

Guss...cheers. Yeah, a render, but really a final ‘artwork’. I have to admit I dislike this word ‘render’ as I always see it in terms of something unfinished e.g. as in something is being rendered, and so it’s not quite finished yet. But, I’m finicky that way, and of the old school, too, I suppose :)

Mermaid...great images (love the top two) - sort of a multi-coloured wormhole effect, I guess you're after :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Never really thought of it that way, but I see your point.

edited December 1969

More Daleks...

Here comes the Doctor.

Daleks-Surround.jpg
    620 x 652 - 126K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

I exported the image as a Hdr Image and rendered it as an IBL backdrop, with a reflective ground plane, but I got this error. Can someone explain this error? Thanks

An angular map has an aspect ratio of 1:1, it is square. Latitude/Longitude is the same as spherical or equirectangular and it has an aspect ratio of 2:1 (twice as wide as high). Bryce accepts only the aspect ratios 1:1 and 2:1 in the Radiance hdr format. This is essentially what the error means.

Nice images, though. Look like painted.

edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - very cool renders.

@canyonmanterry - looking nice.

@Jamahoney - I like that oriental - or rather far east - picture.

@IceScribe - good use of the balloon. Very well done render. Looks convincing.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo
    thank you for the comments. I am trying to get active poses and expressions on my characters. This expression was muddled by resizing and using jpeg but I'm glad it still "reads".
    @Horo
    thank you for your comments. I am trying to overcome the rigid aspects of my characters and get more fluid interaction with the Bryce props.

And now for something a little different-I jump around my subjects alot, LOL! I was going for the night with the background terrain lit by ambience in the Bryce city material. Again, looked good in Bryce, and exported tif, but resizing and jpeging dimmed the material. The dashboard light was fun, but I only realized later the car floor must be hollow because it made the glow appear underneath, not from the tailights. I did put a cube under the seat but it was not enough, Iguess.The headlight beams were very difficult. I tried DavidB's tutorial, and some others. What I resorted to was two radial lights "inside" the lamp base and two cones on the road.

GuyTBird.jpg
    800 x 375 - 86K
    edited December 1969

Something everyone should know about.

Why you should consider exporting your renders as HDRI - by Horo Wernli

Thank you to Horo for making this video. Even if you don't favour postwork, the insights into high dynamic range imagery will still stand you in good stead when it comes to thinking about the impact of lighting in your scenes.

edited December 1969

Experimenting now with water drops...they aren’t as easy as I initially thought.

Ice...very nice work...love that cool-looking car - defintely a 'babe-magnet' ;)

Jay

mydrop1.jpg
    1297 x 670 - 651K
    edited December 1969

Probably the last Dalek/Dr Who one for a while.
    In this one I was trying to show that the inside of the TARDIS is bigger than the outside.
    A complicated use of a matt black plane and some complex boolean modelling.

I think it may have worked better if I'd spent some time on the interior of the TARDIS though... But I had a gig tonight and had to set it rendering before I set off. :)

Daleks-Surround-ALT.jpg
    930 x 930 - 236K
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Experimenting now with water drops...they aren’t as easy as I initially thought.

Jay

I had the same sort of trouble when I was setting up my Unhappy Halloween render a few weeks ago. The difference being that I was trying to make a material that looked like a pool of fresh blood.

Getting the correct reflection, refraction and transparency colour right seemed to be the key for me.
    And my blood material only works under these lighting conditions. Change the light and the blood becomes either rosé wine or black oil. :roll:

Looking at your droplets, I would say there is too much reflection on them, you don't seem to be able to see through the water at all. Though the highlights on them look great, you could loose some of the reflection and add some specular highlighting.

The classic to practice on would be the dew drops on a leaf... There are plenty of reference photos on the intertubes to study. :)

edited December 1969

@Dave: Love the TARDIS images, with one, small, exception. The doors of the TARDIS open inward. Yeah, I know, artistic license. Still, really nice job depicting those characters.

@Jay: I like your water drops image, and I have a question. The light intensity of the sky is low, but the light you show going through the droplets is high; the bright light on the surface. Wouldn't that light be lower, to match the sky intensity, then how it's shown in the image?

edited November 2012

@IceScribe - the car and the driver look good.

@Jamahoney - the water droplets look nice, but not wet. Try a bit of specularity and more transparency.

@TheSavage64 - those Dalek/Dr Who render are all very nice. The streaming light out of the phone boot came out very good.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited November 2012

Savage & Horo...I changed the settings as suggested (e.g. reflection around 5, specularity around 100), but I don’t know if they made much of a difference? I did say initially - “water drops...they aren’t as easy as I initially thought”.

I’ve maintained the refractive index of water at 1.33 (Bryce equivalent = 133) throughout (what about the refractive index of the outside – is Bryce’s setup at air refractive index as default. or, does that apply at all?), zero bump, surface values in the texture editor are, thereabouts, all at white, and tried using different water materials but there wasn’t much a difference. I’m sure I have these values incorrect, but then, that’s the method of experimentation.

Guss: The light intensity of the sky is low, but the light you show going through the droplets is high; the bright light on the surface. Wouldn’t that light be lower, to match the sky intensity, then how it’s shown in the image?

Guss...I don’t know what is happening here, but I would assume that the light being refracted is somewhat magnified, and so intensely brightened around certain points (similar like we see in a magnifying glass where the refracted light rays become more focused).

Jay

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited November 2012

Hi all,

re: droplets......to me, it's a family scene.....Mom, Dad, and 2 youngsters.
    My mind would accept they are droplets of water if they were clinging to the side of e.g. a glass of beer.

But I like the possibility of them being beings on a distant planet, in a distant galaxy. =)
    Also, if that's a terrain, then they are very large droplet beings! =O On holiday?

Nice caustics......may not be totally realistic, but I don't think it has to be completely accurate to be pleasing.
    I like the sky reflections and the light on the ground.

But if you want them to be droplets, then I'd give the mind a more believable setting, e.g. on a glass, on a leaf, etc.

Who knows what you'd find in a droplet on a leaf as you zoom down, down, down to see the inhabitants of that little universe. =)

Post edited by 3dcal on
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - yes, Bryce assumes the refraction index of air. You can change that only for materials. And the Refraction number is 100 fold the index. For Specularity, there is also the Specular Halo colour to be taken into account. There are dramatic differences for each increment from 250 to 255.

edited December 1969

A short random treat... for anyone who want's to experiment with something new, different, hidden and a bit broken.

Bryce undocumented feature - the sea foam Easter egg - by David Brinnen

Sea_foam_easter_egg2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 196K
    edited November 2012

Megacal...Hi Cal...sent you a PM. Yes, I had intentions on putting the drops onto a leaf, however, I just created this terrain at random. BUT, whose to say this isn't a very, very close-up view of a leaf? Haha...if I get away with that one, then I've defintely 'dropped' (oooohh what an obvious pun) a clanger on ya :)

On the droplets on a glasss issue, yes, I'm looking at that right now - want to create that out-of-focus look of droplets on a camera lens, if you know what I mean. The findings might be useful for future, rainy-type artworks.

Horo...ah yes, will chage the Halo colour as suggest and see whatt happens.

Jay

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A short random treat... for anyone who want's to experiment with something new, different, hidden and a bit broken.

Bryce undocumented feature - the sea foam Easter egg - by David Brinnen

That is very useful, thankyou David.
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    On the droplets on a glasss issue, yes, I'm looking at that right now - want to create that out-of-focus look of droplets on a camera lens, if you know what I mean. The findings might be useful for future, rainy-type artworks.

By coincidence, today I've been working on a less than interesting illustration for a building and DIY products catalogue that involved a tiled surface with droplets of water on it.

TilesDoneSmall.jpg
    800 x 800 - 219K
    edited November 2012

Savage...very nice work and I would get well away with those as real-looking drops. If it’s of any use, I’ve used the ‘Still & Deep’ water material (second in Mat Lab), and changed the values as below, but experimentation, I’m sure, would yield better results.

Interestingly enough, and I’m sure I’m doing something incorrect, however, if a direct beam of light is shone through one of these droplets, a sectional view shows refraction okay of the beam of light, but I’m having problems with the reflective properties of the refracted beam afterwards as it strikes the inner wall of the drop. Perhaps, Horo might throw some light (ahem) on it.

Jay

water-stats.jpg
    426 x 461 - 152K
This discussion has been closed.