Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited December 1969

This is a wonderfully detailed render, but it looks a little "flat" perhaps due to haze/fog settings? I don't know. Anyway I've taken the liberty of filtering out the haze and modifying the gamma settings as an experiment to see how it might look otherwise.

I fact, I also noticed the soft contrast but didn't comment about it. I like your contrast enhanced version a lot better, but there are "brycers" around who prefer the soft look. Now the question is what Swade was after - a soft contrast render or was gamma correction inadvertently engaged?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    This is a wonderfully detailed render, but it looks a little "flat" perhaps due to haze/fog settings? I don't know. Anyway I've taken the liberty of filtering out the haze and modifying the gamma settings as an experiment to see how it might look otherwise.

I fact, I also noticed the soft contrast but didn't comment about it. I like your contrast enhanced version a lot better, but there are "brycers" around who prefer the soft look. Now the question is what Swade was after - a soft contrast render or was gamma correction inadvertently engaged?

You are quite right of course, it is entirely up the artist and what he wants. And yes, I think I see what you are hinting at, if I am too critical of soft renders Pam will come and clout me with her big stick?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

lol, I am not ashamed to agree I am hooked on my soft landscape images, but I do experiment sometimes, when I get a chance to play.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Well here's an ultra sharp image.

Having spent a few hours remapping the Dalek with Bryce Mats, I think I'll have to do some more Dalek renders now.

3-Daleks.jpg
    800 x 620 - 190K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Ooh, nice work Dave, I like the way you compose all your images and I also like, particularly topical... the high contrast you achieve in them!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Given the month this image is topical, so here is one of mine which isn't so soft.

However I did tweak it in post, so given a chance, as this was rendered in Br 5, I shall try it again and see how I can change it, actually in Bryce 7

we_shall_remember_2.jpg
    768 x 768 - 358K
  • canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Upgraded the last one.
    @savage; I like it. makes me think of B-movies

Planet_I_Dont_Know2_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 130K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - that's fantastic!

@chohole - this is an excellent render, technically and artistically.

@canyonmanterry - nice looking.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

@Swade
    Bloody hell, now there's a long-time Brycer I haven't seen for years - Swade!
    Good to see you again :-)

@Dave
    Nice Dalek render, makes a change to see them all shiny-new like that, I reckon the packaging is just outside of view complete with polystyrene blocks and assembly instructions written in Chinese :-D

Post edited by pumeco on
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Well I had a go at TA today and the computer crashed literally, I thought i had done in the hard drive, but it kicked back in after about 10mins, its been very hot here to so it may have had a hand in it as well, just guessing lol, lucky I had saved a previous render so all was not lost, but I did go softly softly my heart was in my mouth but i managed the render, well that was an experience ...........also did an immediate backup just in case phew !!!

Good idea on the backup because in the past when I worked alot with computer parts something like what you experienced was usually a sign the drive is failing. Had you not done a backup already I was going to recommend one. The heat very well could have played a roll so you might want to consider also beefing up your computers ability to cool itself, and/or make sure the vents and fans aren't somewhat clogged with dust buildup.
    @LordHardDriven good advice I just checked the fan and I don't think its working there no sound coming from it, just another exspence I don't need

edited December 1969

Having spent a few hours remapping the Dalek with Bryce Mats, I think I'll have to do some more Dalek renders now.

@TheSavage64 now that's amazing fab render the colors really pop, got to love Doctor Who ..............exterminate .exterminate .exterminate
    edited December 1969

Well another version. change bump and color on the water, added more planets. added terrain. the cloudy mist, 'well' when I learn volumetric clouds. I will put better clouds around it!. I will watch again of Dave tutitorals :)

Planet_I_Dont_Know2_(800x404)_(2).jpg
    800 x 404 - 160K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Canyanman...oooh, that last one looks nice!

Jay

edited December 1969

Swade said:
    And this one is titled Superfulous Encounter

First the original.

Then the filtered image. All filtering done in Paint Shop Pro 8.

As Horo observed, it is nice to see our products being put to good use.

Cheers,

David.
    @Swade" date that's a much clearer image and well rendered

edited December 1969

This one I tried to follow @tlantas tutitoral on making an asteroid belt. But it turn out fine anyway. I hafta learn how to find the handle? but I did multi-rep a sphere making a circle of about 30, reshape and size them copy, paste, rotate and gave a different texture.

Exoplanet1_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 95K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Nice but one small criticism, the lights on the top of the Daleks doesn't look as "real" as the rest of the Daleks.

edited December 1969

Well I had a go at TA today and the computer crashed literally, I thought i had done in the hard drive, but it kicked back in after about 10mins, its been very hot here to so it may have had a hand in it as well, just guessing lol, lucky I had saved a previous render so all was not lost, but I did go softly softly my heart was in my mouth but i managed the render, well that was an experience ...........also did an immediate backup just in case phew !!!

Good idea on the backup because in the past when I worked alot with computer parts something like what you experienced was usually a sign the drive is failing. Had you not done a backup already I was going to recommend one. The heat very well could have played a roll so you might want to consider also beefing up your computers ability to cool itself, and/or make sure the vents and fans aren't somewhat clogged with dust buildup.

@LordHardDriven good advice I just checked the fan and I don't think its working there no sound coming from it, just another exspence I don't need

Yeah I learned that lesson the hard way a few years back when virtually the same thing happen and then the drive die a few days later, unfortunately I wasn't as thorough as you and failed to do a backup. The good news though is case fans are one of the cheapest computer parts to replace. Usually under $10US

edited December 1969

By the way, I've been meaning to comment on your renders but keep putting it off because I'm not much into abstract art and so I'm not sure what to say and I'm not sure if I could tell a good one from a bad one. :) Anyway I really like them and agree with David that you have a distinctive style that could be picked out in a crowd. I love how rich in colors your renders are and how clear and sharp they are.

I notice also that there is usually a sultry kind of feel to your renders and even though your style and subjects are very different for some reason they seem to remind me of the work of Olivia De Berardinis. Like if Olivia started doing abstracts they'd end up looking like your renders.

Your latest one puts me in mind of the two images below by Olivia and I would certainly love to see what the results would be if you did something similar.

ZebraLady2.jpg
    800 x 525 - 506K
    ZebraLady-horsed.jpg
    600 x 800 - 164K
    edited November 2012

By the way, I've been meaning to comment on your renders but keep putting it off because I'm not much into abstract art and so I'm not sure what to say and I'm not sure if I could tell a good one from a bad one. :) Anyway I really like them and agree with David that you have a distinctive style that could be picked out in a crowd. I love how rich in colors your renders are and how clear and sharp they are.

I notice also that there is usually a sultry kind of feel to your renders and even though your style and subjects are very different for some reason they seem to remind me of the work of Olivia De Berardinis. Like if Olivia started doing abstracts they'd end up looking like your renders.

Your latest one puts me in mind of the two images below by Olivia and I would certainly love to see what the results would be if you did something similar.

@LordHardDriven OMG that is a challenge i don't think i could get that kind of look, but its nice to be compared in some way, I would more than love to do something like this its right up my alley but i don't think Bryce could cope let alone the mats would be a challenge all its own ..........hmmm food for thought

Post edited by Sylverdali on
  • SwadeSwade Posts: 5
    edited November 2012

Swade said:
    And this one is titled Superfulous Encounter

First the original.

Then the filtered image. All filtering done in Paint Shop Pro 8.

As Horo observed, it is nice to see our products being put to good use.

Cheers,

David.

@ David Brinnen and everyone else that commented..... thank you for your feedback and for taking the liberty to adjust it as you did.....
    I consider all criticism to be constructive.... So was happy to see what you had done. :coolsmile: It was intended to be that way somewhat but not exactly.... was having trouble achieving what I was after... so needed to give it a rest for awhile... I will revisit that project again.. I currently have a new project working.... will post a wip soon.

@ Pumeco... Hello man... good to see you here. :)

This is an awesome community here.... I am glad to have joined you all...

Post edited by Swade on
    edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven OMG that is a challenge i don't think i could get that kind of look, but its nice to be compared in some way, I would more than love to do something like this its right up my alley but i don't think Bryce could cope let alone the mats would be a challenge all its own ..........hmmm food for thoiught

Well it wouldn't have to be exactly the same. Like you said, just food for thought.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: So, where is the Tardis? That image is mighty fine.

@silver: That's a stunning image. Love your work. Any tutorials in your future?

@canyon: Those two images with the water and planets are fantastic. The one with the asteroids looks good.

edited November 2012

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: So, where is the Tardis? That image is mighty fine.

@silver: That's a stunning image. Love your work. Any tutorials in your future?

@canyon: Those two images with the water and planets are fantastic. The one with the asteroids looks good.

@GussNemolol thanks for the compliment but tuts are not my strong point, but here is something for you my skies i created some time ago now, i used them in my last 2 images, if you want the skies look here http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/member.php some of these skies derive from HDRI so they do use a little extra CPU but have great lighting effects. To get different lighting effects move the IBL ball around.

Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven OMG that is a challenge i don't think i could get that kind of look, but its nice to be compared in some way, I would more than love to do something like this its right up my alley but i don't think Bryce could cope let alone the mats would be a challenge all its own ..........hmmm food for thoiught

Well it wouldn't have to be exactly the same. Like you said, just food for thought.
    @LordHardDriven" ok I'll see what I can do but don't hold your breath lol

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments about the Daleks everyone. :-)

@ Pumeco: Here's a not so new looking Dalek (it didn't turn out as good as I wanted it to, but it's got the right atmosphere).

@ LHD: Mmmm... Those lights were a bit of a challenge, I was trying to avoid using glass (to keep render time down) and it was a bit like that pumpkin lantern I posted a few pages back in that the balance between ambient, diffuse, specular and transparency has to be right. These Dalek Models are quite well detailed as you can see from the close up I posted below, but it's still down to getting a light inside them that acts the right way on the materials. It may be that I end up using a tweaked glass material with a bright but short ranged radial light inside.

@ Guss: The TARDIS will be making an appearance soon. I had an idea for a good TARDIS render last night. :)

Dalek-Light.jpg
    800 x 620 - 203K
    Rusty-Dalek.jpg
    800 x 620 - 188K
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

@GussNemolol thanks for the compliment but tuts are not my strong point, but here is something for you my skies i created some time ago now, i used them in my last 2 images, if you want the skies look here http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/member.php some of these skies derive from HDRI so they do use a little extra CPU but have great lighting effects. To get different lighting effects move the IBL ball around.

I think this is the link you were looking for Silver - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=66087

Nice looking ones btw.

edited December 1969

The TARDIS :-)

TARDIS-spin.jpg
    858 x 502 - 197K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: I think Mark said it best, we are our own worse critics. What didn't turn out as you hoped looks marvelous to me. That Dalek looks like one that on Part two of one Dr Who episode; can't remember the title. It had sat for generations in a dilapidated state after the Dr was entombed. I really like what you did in that image. Even the closeup of the light is really nice. TARDIS, sitting amongst planets seems to be from another episode. But still, nicely done. Especially the illusion that the TARDIS is moving.

edited November 2012

@LordHardDriven" ok I'll see what I can do but don't hold your breath lol

Oh I won't, in fact if you chose not to persue it I won't lose any sleep over it. There are many things I would love to see happen that will likely never happen, chief among them being that I hit the Mega Millions Lottery for at least $100 Million dollars :)

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

@ LHD: Mmmm... Those lights were a bit of a challenge, I was trying to avoid using glass (to keep render time down) and it was a bit like that pumpkin lantern I posted a few pages back in that the balance between ambient, diffuse, specular and transparency has to be right. These Dalek Models are quite well detailed as you can see from the close up I posted below, but it's still down to getting a light inside them that acts the right way on the materials. It may be that I end up using a tweaked glass material with a bright but short ranged radial light inside.

It's no big deal at least not to me but I felt I had to comment as everything else looked so realistic that the light seemed to stand out that it didn't. I do see that as far as modeling goes it's detailed and oddly enough in that close up it looks more realistic then it did in the other picture.

This discussion has been closed.