WINDOWS 8 ?

Comments

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Sal UK said:
    Thanks cath I will have to look at that... :)

Have you tried to apply a pose to genesis in DS 4 Pro since upgrading to Win 8 don't know if its just coincidence but loaded in steph 5 an applied a pose and I created the bride of frankenstein.... :roll:

Hmm something must have messed up I re did the scene and now all is ok.. :)

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

it should not affect DS when adding Pose , I feel strange about the last genesis essential starter
    before I could model my figures in anything , especially the face and still all standard morphs would works but after the updates of DAZ it is hard to use them at all anymore as I have issue with my Eyegore where no one face morph or expression was working anymore when using the morph at last not as smooth as it was before , it may be the ERC but did not found solution yet

here everything working just fine so far with all my apps will test more tonight as I need to finish rest of my updates

Sal UK said:
    Sal UK said:
    Thanks cath I will have to look at that... :)

Have you tried to apply a pose to genesis in DS 4 Pro since upgrading to Win 8 don't know if its just coincidence but loaded in steph 5 an applied a pose and I created the bride of frankenstein.... :roll:

Hmm something must have messed up I re did the scene and now all is ok.. :)

• GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

I'm curious as to whether or not you did a clean install or an in-place upgrade?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

I purchased two licenses downloaded and did clean installs on two machines with no problems. Just created the ISO image when it got to that part. Just waiting for my free media centre licences to arrive in my email now.

Works a lot better than the preview release.. ( so far ) :coolsmile:

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited October 2012

Mec4D said:
    Desktop programs works the same way as it was before and there are not much change to it and the workflow I was talking about win8 APPs finding a little cross and click it right on a screen is not simple with touch screen , so throwing it out is the fastest way in this case and I am used to do that on my tablet so for me nothing new ... I just like to touch and btw I never used mous in my entire live .. it is all personal choice , important what is best for you as nothing in this world can be good to everyone ...
    I remember when I said that I would NEVER purchase a tablet , until I did from curiosity and got hooked up I just love so much tech gadgets and go with the flow .
    However not always , I stopped using Poser after ver.8 until 2012 , I hate the changes in the interface until today , including the stupid library but have no choice and have to use it , I like programs I am working in to be simple and I am not fan of the Poser tabs or DS tabs either , and what make me like win8 is that I can throw it away if I don;t need it and get it outta my way and go back to it with a simple touch .. keeping my workspace clean if I need it , reducing also the memory of my vid card
    also I love the search with one click I have all files I looking for or are that DAZ installers or Read me or renders as the files are pretty good organized by itself automatic , for example I look for files associated with DAZ3D, boom everything is there in a sec ..
    They did it so easy even blind can find a file and send it

So what do things look like if you use desktop programs? I look at that search image you displayed and it looks to me like the functionality of what I can already do in Win7 by pressing the Windows key and then typing my search, except in a less useful visual format. Why would I want to waste space with an icon next to every result, most of which are the same anyway, when I can see the text is being truncated?

I know I'm an extremely non-visual person, but for me parsing words is an order of magnitude faster than parsing icons. I know I have peripheral neuropathy and a susceptibility to repetitive-stress-injuries, but for me, unless it's something that's truly more efficient to do graphically, menus and arrow keys are far easier and faster.

I never use a mouse myself if I can avoid it, I prefer touchpads, but I use them as little as possible if something can be done with a keyboard. If it requires fast movement to a distant part of the screen, a touchpad is useful, but I hate precise placement using any such device, above all with a mouse.

I had an android phone for about 3 weeks. Give me a keyboard any day.

[Edited to correct typos (using arrow keys to get to the right place, not my touchpad)]

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited December 1969

I upgrade my win7 keeping all my personal data and files , the setup will tell you if you will lose anything or your device will works or not so you can decide what you want in this case , it will take some time to install especially if you have some data and file on you want to keep

I'm curious as to whether or not you did a clean install or an in-place upgrade?
    edited December 1969

it looks just like win7 , the desktop did not changed at all, but you can still switch between the win8 apps and programs , the start button is on the left bottom corner where it was before , it will show when you get the cursor over , if you want win7 style functions of the start just slide over the start then right click and the additional menu open as the image bellow .. I like the desktop additional function especially if I want use my external screen for other stuff at the same time , i can slide the screens from one to another each program you open will load the desktop on automatic , you can run 1 desktop and 1 app at the same time side by side and just slide them if you need more space , but regarding to your question beside the quick access to everything else the desktop can look pretty ordinary as in win7
    below I made for you some screenshots using some of the apps

Mec4D said:
    Desktop programs works the same way as it was before and there are not much change to it and the workflow I was talking about win8 APPs finding a little cross and click it right on a screen is not simple with touch screen , so throwing it out is the fastest way in this case and I am used to do that on my tablet so for me nothing new ... I just like to touch and btw I never used mous in my entire live .. it is all personal choice , important what is best for you as nothing in this world can be good to everyone ...
    I remember when I said that I would NEVER purchase a tablet , until I did from curiosity and got hooked up I just love so much tech gadgets and go with the flow .
    However not always , I stopped using Poser after ver.8 until 2012 , I hate the changes in the interface until today , including the stupid library but have no choice and have to use it , I like programs I am working in to be simple and I am not fan of the Poser tabs or DS tabs either , and what make me like win8 is that I can throw it away if I don;t need it and get it outta my way and go back to it with a simple touch .. keeping my workspace clean if I need it , reducing also the memory of my vid card
    also I love the search with one click I have all files I looking for or are that DAZ installers or Read me or renders as the files are pretty good organized by itself automatic , for example I look for files associated with DAZ3D, boom everything is there in a sec ..
    They did it so easy even blind can find a file and send it

So what do things look like if you use desktop programs? I look at that search image you displayed and it looks to me like the functionality of what I can already do in Win7 by pressing the Windows key and then typing my search, except in a less useful visual format. Why would I want to waste space with an icon next to every result, most of which are the same anyway, when I can see the text is being truncated?

I know I'm an extremely non-visual person, but for me parsing words is an order of magnitude faster than parsing icons. I know I have peripheral neuropathy and a susceptibility to repetitive-stress-injuries, but for me, unless it's something that's truly more efficient to do graphically, menus and arrow keys are far easier and faster.

I never use a mouse myself if I can avoid it, I prefer touchpads, but I use them as little as possible if something can be done with a keyboard. If it requires fast movement to a distant part of the screen, a touchpad is useful, but I hate precise placement using any such device, above all with a mouse.

I had an android phone for about 3 weeks. Give me a keyboard any day.

[Edited to correct typos (using arrow keys to get to the right place, not my touchpad)]

des6.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 367K
    des4.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 671K
    des5.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 731K
    des3.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 564K
    des2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 583K
  • jcowb1jcowb1 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

I too installed windows 8 pro, and generally like it.
    When I try to run Daz Studio 4.5 I get the message that it is unable to load because the programme requires some video at level 1.3 and my video only supports 1.1 ( Or something like that) yet I was running the programme with no trouble in win7. I purchased the upgrade of win 8 pro not a clean install.
    Any help appreciated even though my description is not very coherent. I'm having a bad brain day today. :blank:
    Regards
    John

edited October 2012

here more shots of the Desktop , it have more functionality but in general it works the same as usual

get closer to left corner top you see all apps working in background
    go to left corner bottom you see start
    go middle bottom the Desktop tab will show as in win7
    gow right corner top or bottom you see additional settings
    go on top and you will get chance to grab the desktop and throw it down to close it with everything at once
    the main screen is more like a virtual table that you throw stuff on or off
    The Desktop is a win8 APP also that allow you to run regular programs

So what do things look like if you use desktop programs?

des9.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 292K
    des8.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 202K
    des7.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 580K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

I think you need upgrade your graphic card driver, as the one driver running right now have only OpenGL 1.1
    below 1.3 the view port will not load , I think that is the issue as I had it a time ago when I made upgrade to win7 from vista

jcowb1 said:
    I too installed windows 8 pro, and generally like it.
    When I try to run Daz Studio 4.5 I get the message that it is unable to load because the programme requires some video at level 1.3 and my video only supports 1.1 ( Or something like that) yet I was running the programme with no trouble in win7. I purchased the upgrade of win 8 pro not a clean install.
    Any help appreciated even though my description is not very coherent. I'm having a bad brain day today. :blank:
    Regards
    John
    edited December 1969

Okay, the ribbon on Windows Explorer I can deal with, that's fine, as long as the Details view is still an option. You wouldn't happen to know if they added back the API that allows you to add a Folder Size column in details? That's one of the only two things I dislike about Win7.

Can the mouseover-edge-and-corner options be disabled? Whenever I try one of those to get more screen space I quickly find I detest them and disable them. I prefer my taskbar to always be visible.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    I upgrade my win7 keeping all my personal data and files , the setup will tell you if you will lose anything or your device will works or not so you can decide what you want in this case , it will take some time to install especially if you have some data and file on you want to keep

That was one of my questions... my other is how does it look on a dual monitor with the tiles? Does it split them nicely or do some of the tiles just flow off screen and on to the next (which would not be something visually pleasing to me).

Thanks!

edited December 1969

yes it is there
    here is a good tutor how to do this in win 8 as I was searching for it myself yesterday
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9728-file-explorer-columns-add-remove-windows-8-a.html

you can set the taskbar to be visible all the time I just set it automatic , but I did not found yet where to set the right menu to not showing up
    actually the both taskbars on the right and left are not easy to show, you need for real get at the end on the screen corner to let it show as they do not show so easy , they will show only if you get with the cursor behind the (close program X ) and slide after down the same to the right , there is already also hack for the start button that allow you to return it in old win7 style , however I use keyboard to show the metro start anyway so it doesn't bother me

Okay, the ribbon on Windows Explorer I can deal with, that's fine, as long as the Details view is still an option. You wouldn't happen to know if they added back the API that allows you to add a Folder Size column in details? That's one of the only two things I dislike about Win7.

Can the mouseover-edge-and-corner options be disabled? Whenever I try one of those to get more screen space I quickly find I detest them and disable them. I prefer my taskbar to always be visible.

edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    yes it is there
    here is a good tutor how to do this in win 8 as I was searching for it myself yesterday
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9728-file-explorer-columns-add-remove-windows-8-a.html

Can you check if "Folder Size" is one of the possible columns? If it is, I'm upgrading immediately.

edited December 1969

see image :) there is only one option for what you looking for the EXTEND

RAMWolff said:
    Mec4D said:

That was one of my questions... my other is how does it look on a dual monitor with the tiles? Does it split them nicely or do some of the tiles just flow off screen and on to the next (which would not be something visually pleasing to me).

Thanks!

des10.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 540K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Hmm, OK... thanks Cath!

edited December 1969

I hope it is what you ask for
    after you made the size column you can click and add extra function to the folder size column from 0 - unlimited

Mec4D said:
    yes it is there

Can you check if "Folder Size" is one of the possible columns? If it is, I'm upgrading immediately.

des11.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 281K
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    after you made the size column you can click and add extra function to the folder size column from 0 - unlimited

Mec4D said:
    yes it is there

The standard Size column only shows the size for files -- it's blank for folders. I'm wondering if the list of possible columns includes a "Folder Size", which shows the size of a folder as well. WinXP had that exposed in the API, but Win7 doesn't.

edited December 1969

you can make column by Total Size for the folders ; I just found it total below the options

Mec4D said:

Mec4D said:
    yes it is there

The standard Size column only shows the size for files -- it's blank for folders. I'm wondering if the list of possible columns includes a "Folder Size", which shows the size of a folder as well. WinXP had that exposed in the API, but Win7 doesn't.

des12.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 484K
    edited December 1969

Fantastic! Thanks very much!

edited December 1969

the total size show when you open the folder
    for example I open my library and it show how much space it taked in total
    then I go to Runtime and it show total how much space it take of all files in runtime folders etc... etc..
    it does not show individual folder sizes in a row but at last it show something and it is faster as checking it via proportions

Fantastic! Thanks very much!
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

So basically, what I'm getting is, the sides of the screen and the four corners are what would be the MMC trio (Minimize, Maximize, Close) and Start button, and instead of-right-clicking, everything is right in front of your face. Am I correct?

edited December 1969

if you click the windows key on the keyboard everything will be in your face what you need
    if you click right on the start button you get additional options without leaving the desktop
    nothing will show until you don't want it too so minder annoying
    and with the MMC you are correct , beware that the desktop is just another win8 app that run desktop programs only but that is an app that look and ::feel:; like the win7 at last visually

So basically, what I'm getting is, the sides of the screen and the four corners are what would be the MMC trio (Minimize, Maximize, Close) and Start button, and instead of-right-clicking, everything is right in front of your face. Am I correct?
  • Alpha ChannelAlpha Channel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Each unto their own, can't stand Windows 8 (and I've used it) despite the third party hacks that can bring back the start button. Part of my ire is that in some, admittedly technical areas, I really don't like what MS are up to, with something like a driver change, such as updating the SATA drivers, chipset drivers, etc... can trigger a reactivation. Oh and woe betide any that buy a PC with Windows 8 pre-installed from a big OEM as a feature in the UEFI called secure boot could prevent you (or at least making it difficult) from installing or replacing the OS with something different, including an older version of Windows.

There's just too much I don't like about Windows 8 to waste money on upgrading.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited December 1969

I've just wonder if it is possible to upgrade from WindowsXP 32-bit to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit,
    by buying the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Anybody knows?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited October 2012

Artini said:
    I've just wonder if it is possible to upgrade from WindowsXP 32-bit to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit,

I believe the answer is "no". Upgrades possible from Vista or Win7 only.

Oops, no, wait... still searching... Why isn't this answer blaringly obvious... Back in a few minutes.

OK, this article says it is.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-8-pro-costs-40-if-youre-running-xp-vista-858859

And the Microsoft store says it it IF you have XP upgraded to Service Pack 3 installed. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbpage.Windows_8_Pro?WT.term=+windows++8+upgrade+from+vista&WT;.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_5+-+Windows+8&WT;.medium=cpc&WT;.campaign=5+-+Windows+8&WT;.content=de68Q6mJ&WT;.srch=1&WT;.source=google&cshift_ck=685d76b6-4c3f-472c-8669-877599d2cf01csde68Q6mJ

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

One last question for you, Mec4D...

Any chance that you'll come over to my house and set up my machine for me?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,211
    edited December 1969

Artini said:

I believe the answer is "no". Upgrades possible from Vista or Win7 only.

Oops, no, wait... still searching... Why isn't this answer blaringly obvious... Back in a few minutes.

OK, this article says it is.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-8-pro-costs-40-if-youre-running-xp-vista-858859

And the Microsoft store says it it IF you have XP upgraded to Service Pack 3 installed. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbpage.Windows_8_Pro?WT.term=+windows++8+upgrade+from+vista&WT;.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_5+-+Windows+8&WT;.medium=cpc&WT;.campaign=5+-+Windows+8&WT;.content=de68Q6mJ&WT;.srch=1&WT;.source=google&cshift_ck=685d76b6-4c3f-472c-8669-877599d2cf01csde68Q6mJ

Generally an in-place upgrade is possible only if both the installed version and the upgrade have the same bit-depth.

edited December 1969

Win8 Pro currently update works only on 64bit correct?

I read you can even update from win95 as long it is 64bit

edited December 1969

as long you not living in California no problem hehe lol actually it would be good as I could escape the hurricane Sandy as it planed already to hit me lol

One last question for you, Mec4D...

Any chance that you'll come over to my house and set up my machine for me?