WINDOWS 8 ?

123457»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Now I have a handle on the tiles.

Once you sign up for the MS account, you don't have to use the email or anything, just gives you access to some of the other portals like the App Store.

Found just about all the apps I love on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 II Tab including the most fabulous radio app that I've got running now called TuneIn.... Tiles you can drag and drop to organize them. Which is really nice.

Of course I had to make the background Wolffie Green.. but of course! :P

Liking Win8 ALLOT now! :-)

...ahhh my eyes!!!!!

I couldn't look at that all day. it is just too cluttered and garish.

Why do the developers at Microsquish think this is an improvement?

Makes me seriously think about moving to Linux.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

In case you like to have the classic windows on windows 8.
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I was very happy to try this but there are some issues. When I rebooted the widgets app that I installed, which works just great, stopped working and installing your own Start button... doesn't work very well. The widgets was what told me that's a no. I'm sure this person will get this all fixed in time but for now.. I'm sticking with the Stardock Start8 start-menu! Thanks for the link! :-)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Now I have a handle on the tiles.

Once you sign up for the MS account, you don't have to use the email or anything, just gives you access to some of the other portals like the App Store.

Found just about all the apps I love on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 II Tab including the most fabulous radio app that I've got running now called TuneIn.... Tiles you can drag and drop to organize them. Which is really nice.

Of course I had to make the background Wolffie Green.. but of course! :P

Liking Win8 ALLOT now! :-)

...ahhh my eyes!!!!!

I couldn't look at that all day. it is just too cluttered and garish.

Why do the developers at Microsquish think this is an improvement?

Makes me seriously think about moving to Linux.

The background color is totally customizable! You can make it black if you want. You also have the option to boot directly to the Desktop, which I do. I just happen to like some of the Apps so I go there to start up a music App I like....

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I've been rocking Win 8 all day and I like it. It's not nearly as bad as others want to assert, and it's running very well, even though I did an upgrade install. Since I use a Glidepoint trackpad on my PC, the interface really suits it well.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited November 2012

One thing to consider. Having been using MS OS's for longer then I care to mention, there is a pattern I've noticed. When a new OS comes out, the older one mysteriously starts to having glitches. Now I'm not 'saying' this is on purpose. For one thing, whenever an OS is released, the next one goes into full development mode by a dedicated team, so Win9 is now supposedly ramped into full development mode (this right from MS.) The best programmers are supposedly put on the New OS (Win9 in this case.) The second lvl team is put on the current OS, Win8. This ofc means that the ones maintaining the old one, Win7 are the 3d lvl programmers, you know.. the ones 'not' on the fast track. They supposedly (according to discussions I've had with MS employees) given less resources and time then they previously had to 'fix' or maintain anything... any fix that introduces problems, and many fixes do.. take longer to fix, so the fixes often break things more often. All of this works in MS' favor in motivating people to move to the new OS. So, new OS has lots of stuff broken that hasn't been discovered but will probably be addressed quickly, old OS has less broken stuff but will introduce new ones as fixes break things and the fixes come less timely...

This isn't any recommendation on what people should do, just food for thought.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

If you hate the Ribbon menus, as I do, there IS a fix. I'm so glad I didn't give up on my search for this. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS818EnMkEM

It works by the way! :-) I now have back my old menu style in my Windows Explorer folders! YAY!

edited December 1969

Helpful Customization tips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YekkAOgh_c

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

after a stream of issue I'm going to wipe my HD and go back to 7.
    Win 8 trashes stuff just because it's grumpy and it's administrative moaning is beyond annoying, it eventually ate my ethernet which was the last straw for me.
    perhaps it'll be a bit more finished by the time I get my next PC

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    Win 8 trashes stuff just because it's grumpy and it's administrative moaning is beyond annoying, it eventually ate my ethernet which was the last straw for me.

I had some soundcard driver problems, but I seem to have them worked out now. Just because you're having problems doesn't mean the OS itself is problematic. Others seem to be getting along with it fine.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

adzan said:

I had some soundcard driver problems, but I seem to have them worked out now. Just because you're having problems doesn't mean the OS itself is problematic. Others seem to be getting along with it fine.

But he is allowed to tell us about his experience - and I AM thankful for it.

edited December 1969

It's just like anything digital it seems . Many have good luck with DAZ Studio, others have better luck with Poser. Some can upgrade to Windows 8 with little to no issues and others have a rougher time with it. My experience is great so far.... LOVE this OS and it's by far, for me, the best version of Windows yet. Stardock provides Start8 and Decor8 along with a few other little tweaks and it's fine. Couple of hiccups with a few apps and ONE driver issue with Wacom but that's resolved now.

Decor8 provides a way to have full control over how the Start screen looks. Allows you to insert your own set of image folders to pick and choose what images you want. LOTS of controls including some tile and font colors too. My own stary background and changed the tiles to Wolffy green for now...

Decor8BackgroundTweaks.jpg
    1000 x 538 - 230K
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited December 1969

Woah! What's that Astrologer application about? :-)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited November 2012

The only issue with upgrading is a hardware one. As of the time of writing, Windows 8 has very poor hardware support and most of the current problems stem from various drivers being unavailable or simply not functioning. Case in point, my laptop ceased to play any sounds unless I hooked up a USB headset which doubles as a soundblaster. The onboard sound simply wasn't supported despite countless attempts to get it to load the older Windows 7 drivers.

Other issues are a horrible lack of support for multiple screens unless you're exclusively using the desktop mode which functions much like it always has sans Start menu. I could go on about the niggling things which drive me absolutely insane regarding Windows 8, but I'll repress the urge so as not to sound like I'm ranting. Suffice to say, if you're already using Windows 7 and you don't have a need for the new Start menu system, there is very little incentive to upgrade. It has some interesting new security features, but this cut-down version of Windows has too many issues for me to fully support at this time.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • edited December 1969

Hi ts, congratz on your upgrade, how many rams you have? is it 64 bit window?

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think I'll let this one pass as I did with Vista. There don't seem to be any positive reasons to change.

From some reports it seems to be bombing, maybe because it is not targetted at MS main users. Where are most Windows machines? In offices. They are workhorses maybe fronting something bigger. Employers like them fairly vanilla and so do the tech people.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Hey Guys, just switched to WIN8 , love it
    all programs working for me so much faster DS and the rest ..
    Finally my desktop is clean and everything organized , I am used to my Android Tablet
    and also love the APP for WIN8
    for the limited time they have low cost upgrade to WIN8 Pro on the microsoft website
    and I am about to upgrade also my older dual core laptop tomorrow
    The Win8 Pro allow you to use the desktop the old way as it was in Win7
    but I prefer the new way as it is so much easy to access all my stuff, renders and files

DS4.5 is working so much faster now , I guess the new upgrade installation made a good clean up in the system lol
    no issues so far

now I wanna see DAZ3D App store for WIN8 , that would be great

Cath

Well it is an imposition or better said it a bad joke that you need the pro version to get the old but good desktop interface. Not more to say