WINDOWS 8 ?

Comments

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

adzan said:

Other than my objections noted above and the inherent confusion with any new interface, I find that Win8 appears to work,... except HOW DO YOU LOG OFF or TURN THE DAMN THING OFF? Arghhhhhh....... :-(

Mouse to the top right of the screen
    move the mouse down the 'charms'
    click on Settings
    click on Power and select from the list
    2D/
    or

if you like to use the Keyboard press the - Windows Key + i - to open the settings charm panel then use the tab or arrow keys and enter key to scroll through and make selections

or

Press the - Windows Key + r - and type - shutdown -s -t 0 - then press enter to shut down
    or type - shutdown -r -t 0 - then press enter to restart

Now, this is patently stupid!! >:(

To have all these hoops to just shut down you computer? :bug:

Edit. I have Vista32 on my laptop, and Win7 (64-bit) on my 2/3D computer. Both MS. After reading the thread through, it seems that staying away from 'Wait' is a smart move on my part as I have no need for a dumbed-down OS.

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited November 2012

Loving my Windows 8 update. Made an ISO & everything went smoothly. Will post more of my finding & experiences later.
    You can download a free Windows 8 e-book from Microsoft, and here are some additional getting started tips:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/1/E/B1E7F4C9-304D-456C-BD96-A2287FA7871D/Microsoft_Press_ebook_Introducing_Windows_8_Free_Preview_PDF.pdf

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2012/10/31/windows-8-a-beginners-guide-for-the-bewildered-part-1-of-3-2/

BTW off topic a bit. I talked with Cath @ MEC4D tonight (Friday 11/2), and after 5 days, she finally has power back. She like many of us are dealing with the aftermath of Sandy here on the East Coast. but we are both lucky that things are slowly getting back to normal. We should all take a moment & be thankful for the things we take for granted. Mother Nature can turn everything around in a "New York Minute"

Post edited by AlexLO on
  • Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Desktop programs works the same way as it was before and there are not much change to it and the workflow I was talking about win8 APPs finding a little cross and click it right on a screen is not simple with touch screen , so throwing it out is the fastest way in this case and I am used to do that on my tablet so for me nothing new ... I just like to touch and btw I never used mous in my entire live .. it is all personal choice , important what is best for you as nothing in this world can be good to everyone ...
    I remember when I said that I would NEVER purchase a tablet , until I did from curiosity and got hooked up I just love so much tech gadgets and go with the flow .
    However not always , I stopped using Poser after ver.8 until 2012 , I hate the changes in the interface until today , including the stupid library but have no choice and have to use it , I like programs I am working in to be simple and I am not fan of the Poser tabs or DS tabs either , and what make me like win8 is that I can throw it away if I don;t need it and get it outta my way and go back to it with a simple touch .. keeping my workspace clean if I need it , reducing also the memory of my vid card
    also I love the search with one click I have all files I looking for or are that DAZ installers or Read me or renders as the files are pretty good organized by itself automatic , for example I look for files associated with DAZ3D, boom everything is there in a sec ..
    They did it so easy even blind can find a file and send it

So what do things look like if you use desktop programs? I look at that search image you displayed and it looks to me like the functionality of what I can already do in Win7 by pressing the Windows key and then typing my search, except in a less useful visual format. Why would I want to waste space with an icon next to every result, most of which are the same anyway, when I can see the text is being truncated?

I know I'm an extremely non-visual person, but for me parsing words is an order of magnitude faster than parsing icons. I know I have peripheral neuropathy and a susceptibility to repetitive-stress-injuries, but for me, unless it's something that's truly more efficient to do graphically, menus and arrow keys are far easier and faster.

I never use a mouse myself if I can avoid it, I prefer touchpads, but I use them as little as possible if something can be done with a keyboard. If it requires fast movement to a distant part of the screen, a touchpad is useful, but I hate precise placement using any such device, above all with a mouse.

I had an android phone for about 3 weeks. Give me a keyboard any day.

[Edited to correct typos (using arrow keys to get to the right place, not my touchpad)]

This. You are not alone, though I don't have the same medical issues.

All this moving the cursor around, gesturing, extra clicks... it's asking for injury among those who must spend hours a day using their machines for productivity. Keyboards don't cause nearly the same strain as a mouse. Evidence for this is that most computer based repetitive strain injuries involve the right hand (usually the mouse hand); whereas, on a QWERTY keyboard, most of the work is done by the left hand. You can reduce your chances of injury by using as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. And now there's an OS that wants you to wave your arms around even more? Yikes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

To be fair, there are a lot of Win key+something shortcuts in W8 - one of the complaints in the testing forums was that there were too many, but they should cover most functions.

• GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Norse Graphics said:adzan said:LeatherGryphon said:
    Other than my objections noted above and the inherent confusion with any new interface, I find that Win8 appears to work,... except HOW DO YOU LOG OFF or TURN THE DAMN THING OFF? Arghhhhhh....... :-(

Mouse to the top right of the screen
    move the mouse down the 'charms'
    click on Settings
    click on Power and select from the list
    2D/
    or

if you like to use the Keyboard press the - Windows Key + i - to open the settings charm panel then use the tab or arrow keys and enter key to scroll through and make selections

or

Press the - Windows Key + r - and type - shutdown -s -t 0 - then press enter to shut down
    or type - shutdown -r -t 0 - then press enter to restart

Now, this is patently stupid!! >:(

To have all these hoops to just shut down you computer? :bug:

Edit. I have Vista32 on my laptop, and Win7 (64-bit) on my 2/3D computer. Both MS. After reading the thread through, it seems that staying away from 'Wait' is a smart move on my part as I have no need for a dumbed-down OS.

Follow these instructions to create a one-click shutdown tile for Win-8's menu...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-shutdown-windows-8-in-just-one-click

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited November 2012

All this moving the cursor around, gesturing, extra clicks... it's asking for injury among those who must spend hours a day using their machines for productivity. Keyboards don't cause nearly the same strain as a mouse. Evidence for this is that most computer based repetitive strain injuries involve the right hand (usually the mouse hand); whereas, on a QWERTY keyboard, most of the work is done by the left hand. You can reduce your chances of injury by using as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. And now there's an OS that wants you to wave your arms around even more? Yikes.

For those of us who were UNIX gurus the keyboard was our friend. We could cast a complex spell faster than any point'n-click mechanism any day. Just try finding all filenames that began with "cra", longer than 100 lines, search for any line in those files that had the characters "446" and "tiddly" in them, swap their position in the file, rename the file to "CRA" and move it to a different directory then print it on two printers within 6 seconds using a point'n-click interface. HA! did stuff like that all day long. Found running totals from growing files, compared text or binary files with certainitude, automatically merge latest versions of data from multiple sources, Identified exact differences between nearly identical directories, all with the magic of regular expressions, pipes, a library of pipe friendly commands, and sparks from our fingers as we typed. :-o

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited November 2012

Keeping pressed Alt and then F4 key together goes directly to shutdown choice.
    If Windows 8 desktop is running, pressing "Windows" key, switches back and forward
    between desktop and Metro interface start screen.

Post edited by Artini on
  • edited November 2012
    Post edited by dcooper001_62def9169a on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Seems MS doesn't realize most money comes from the business sector, and from what I've heard/read, very few - if ANY! - will upgrade to Win8. Most likely they'll go for Win7 when they upgrade from WinXP.

Our work computers will certainly not go to Win8 — noises have been made for a little while now about upgrading from XP, but nothing definite yet. Some of the office people have Win7 on their laptops, but I think that might be partly due to the hideous B&D security system we had to use (only recently fixed up to work in Win7). I certainly wouldn't be able to get as much work done in a Win8 system as described upthread: if I wanted to use a tablet OS, I'd buy a tablet.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...they did the same in our workplace. Some have Win7 but Thankfully I still have XP (which I run with "Windows Classic" shell). In a business production environment (that primarily uses software like spreadsheets and WPs) XP is more than adequate. I don't see us going to Win8 anytime in the foreseeable future (at least I hope not).

If my experiences with our recent move to Office 2010 are any indication of where MS is heading, Win8 is definitely a big miss.

In all the Office 2010 apps, the familiar menu bar has been replaced by this new "tool bar strip" which to say the least is far more cumbersome to use (and thus has a negative impact on productivity). Oh the menus are still there but take an extra click or two to activate. If you accidentally touch the scroll wheel on the mouse while the cursor in in the strip, it changes position to a different function. If you don't notice the change (which is easy to do when working in a high pressure environment like I do) you can get some "interesting" and often irritating results clicking or hitting a key.

Many of the hotkeys have been changed, one of the most annoying being the print sequence keystrokes: ALT+F+P+[Enter]. Now it's ALT+F+P+P. which if you do it in another non windows app (like Acrobat) does something completely different. Basically they broke things which didn't need fixing. Finally 2010 office apps take a lot longer to load and change screens than older versions of the software. I estimate that now I lose between 40 min to almost an hour just waiting for the various apps to do something so I can get on with my work.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Got into work today, package was on my station... won't install just yet though. Have projects so will wait a while longer. ... maybe! :P

edited November 2012

RAMWolff said:
    Got into work today, package was on my station... won't install just yet though. Have projects so will wait a while longer. ... maybe! :P

Good policy. You're going to eat a whole day getting familiar with it and tweaking it.

I've been playing with the optional "picture as password" feature. It's cool but I'm not so sure it's as secure from prying eyes behind you. With a password you can probably type fast enough that a casual observer won't catch all the special characters and case shifts. However, depending on how you select the three strokes or taps on your picturelocks, a casual observer could easily repeat them. I use a copy of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field photo of zillions of galaxies as my screen background and screenlock image. I specifically chose unique (but not easily seen from a distance) galaxies or groups of galaxies as my targets. The other problem with this is that drawing circles around an object is clumsy with a mouse. Probably much better to use taps or straight lines instead. Circles probably wouldn't be a problem on a tablet interface. You don't have to be super accurate. On a 23" screen the tap spot is about the size of a standard aspirin tablet.

Of course passwords have their own problems. The only way computers will ever be completely secure to individuals is to give them a drop of blood and wait for a DNA analysis! Watch out for suspicious people poking you with a pin! And let's hope computers don't develop a taste for blood!!! 8-o

edited December 1969

Yea, while I'm interested in using the pictogram thing being just me at home I'll probably just go and set up the computer to auto boot in. If I upgrade at work or get a new laptop there THEN I'll probably use a password protection of some sort.

edited December 1969

Question about the upgrade. So I leave all these projects and links and pictures on my desktop and upgrade will they still be there when I boot in to Win8 or will the upgrade process put them in a folder or shoved them into "Documents" Just curious about what happens to personal stuff or nothing happens and it's just there. I imagine the background pictures will have to be reset to something I like....

edited November 2012

RAMWolff said:
    Question about the upgrade. So I leave all these projects and links and pictures on my desktop and upgrade will they still be there when I boot in to Win8 or will the upgrade process put them in a folder or shoved them into "Documents" Just curious about what happens to personal stuff or nothing happens and it's just there. I imagine the background pictures will have to be reset to something I like....

I didn't notice any change with my "Desktop". Except for the loss of the "START Orb" and "Gadgets".

Desktop shouldn't be a problem, IF you have the upgrade and not a complete new OEM installation. The biggest issues is for administratively minded people trying to find where the hell things like the "Control Panel" and "Computer Properties" went to and how to make quick links to them.

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

I didn't notice any change with my "Desktop". Except for the loss of the "START Orb" and "Gadgets".

Desktop shouldn't be a problem, IF you have the upgrade and not a complete new OEM installation. The biggest issues is for administratively minded people trying to find where the hell things like the "Control Panel" and "Computer Properties" went to and how to make quick links to them.

For those things there already are shortcuts - right click on the left bottom corner and you have a list with those among them

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :-)

So not sure if you things like Rocket Dock or or anything that is a not really a widget but does load kinda like one. I really rely on Rocket Dock. I also really wish they would have made sure the dual monitor thing would have been a bit better. I'll have to check that out I guess when I get to this. I'm very very tempted right now! lol

Firefox has an option to put "Deskcuts" on the desktop, that functionality still works?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I also really wish they would have made sure the dual monitor thing would have been a bit better.

What's this, a weirdness in using dual monitors? Is it an annoyance, or a total showstopper? Might be useful as ammunition at the office the nexrt time someone talks about that all-over system upgrade — I'm the only one using dual monitors, but I happen to be the one office (studio/prepress) where it has to work as seamlessly as it does in XP (and, I assume, in 7).
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK then the Win 8 upgrade will not mess that up for me then! GOOD!

edited November 2012

WimvdB said:
    RAMWolff said:

For those things there already are shortcuts - right click on the left bottom corner and you have a list with those among them

Ah ha! Right-click on the left bottom corner of the START page and you get a menu with the typical Administrator's tools.

But right-click on the left bottom corner of the DESKTOP page and you get a menu which gives access to the computer "Properties".

All these new places that are context-sensitive for the left-click function and right-click options. Arghhhh.... :-( I'm afraid to ponder what happens with middle-click in various places!

Who was it who thought that assigning hidden functions to keys and mouse buttons was a good idea? Gather 'round kiddies and grampa will tell you of the days when teletypes only used 5-bit character codes, you had only 61 characters (upper case letters only & punctuation) and you had to press (or release) the shift key to switch between them. Now the modern PC keyboard has several levels (caps, Ctrl, Alt, and multi-combinations). Also, complex programs have a long list of keyboard shortcuts that nobody remembers unless they devotedly use that application every day. To make matters worse, the keyboard shortcuts are sometimes configurable. There used to be some standardization of keyboard shortcuts between applications but now the needs of the applications has dictated that they all branch out and define their own key assignments that may or may not have any mnemonic link to the letter on the key.

Now we find ourselves in the bizarre situation of assigning multiple functions to empty spaces of display real-estate! (upper/lower/left/right corners, & unused display space) none of which have any visual indication that you have functionality there.

I'm sorry, but I miss the days when I typed a two letter command into a clunky old teletype and the computer thought for 10 seconds and then spat back alphanumeric answers. No pictures, no sounds, just useful information needed at that moment. Sent rockets to the moon we did.

And the "WEB" consisted of two wires soldered into the motherboards of the two computers at opposite sides of my lab. Security was handled by a key in the door and a close eye on the teletype console.

And we had an actual "bit-bucket" under the teletype papertape puncher.

And everybody who used computers back in those days was educated.

And we all sat around in our bearskins at the mouth of the cave roasting mastodon over the fire after work.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

...snip...

And we had an actual "bit-bucket" under the teletype papertape puncher.

And the best (confetti | punishment) ever devised!!!! Add Elmers Glue-All for some real dangerous fun...

Kendall

edited December 1969

Well I'm in... If your upgrading you don't need to worry about a password. Your old settings stay in place, at least that's my experience so far. I did create a new MS username and password but I use GMail so not sure if that's going to be of any help for instant updates with this weird setup. The tiles are OK... the system can not find Photoshop. But Rocket Dock still functions so I can get to it from there so that's a relief. The option to show ALL APPS which is a right click on the Tiles Start area brings up bottom area (which seems really very large for what it contains) has ONE icon in it called Show All Apps. This OS is fine so far but it does feel like it's in it's infancy with how it looks and behaves. Very rudimentary in allot of ways and slick in other areas.... I was able to figure out how to turn off tiles I don't like... if you simply right click on a tile a check mark will appear and another little panel pops up below giving you options... just "unpin" and it will go away. I'm sure there must be a way to add apps in the main line up to set it up to MY liking but not figured that out yet. My desktops look exactly the same. The dual wallpapers are just fine, no adjustments were needed. I think I'm going to try to get my widgets back though. I miss my big clock on the Desktop and a couple of others. Just glad that Rocket Dock works! YAY!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

And let's hope computers don't develop a taste for blood!!! 8-o

...oh, they've already done that.
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Colossus or the ZAX mainframe?

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    It's all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC?

I've been following Win 8 and from what I can see, this is MS making a last desperate effort to get into the Samsung/Apple territory - ie phones, where they've failed miserably. MS must feel enraged seeing Samsung sell 1/3 of the phones on the planet and make a fortune. LOL.

Of course, all the media hype so far has been on MS Surface, so we don't hear much about the regular desktop side of Win 8. The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don't seem to realise that. The reasoning goes 'Phones are trendy. We can make some money' True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won't be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

macA friend of mine is having to support Windows 8 laptops already. He has had the hardest time getting them on the local wireless network. Seems they don't speak WPA 2 correctly. As for Microsoft's direction, given that the revenue Apple generates from the iPhone alone is greater than all of Microsoft, Ballmer is sweating bullets. He has been screwing up since DOS 4. Maybe this will be his last.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Colossus or the ZAX mainframe?

I think every time I've built a PC and most times I've upgraded a component I've ended up leaving a blood offering to the technology gods.

edited December 1969

Ended up right clicking on the Mail module and chose "uninstall" and it uninstalled that along with the calendar and messenger service and when I booted in this AM it went right to the desktop bypassing the tiles Start menu. I did go to Stardock and pay them $5.00 to get the Start8 menu and well, my old desktop looks just like it did before the upgrade. The only thing I DON'T like is the lack of being able to change my font system colors and I do miss the rounded corners on the windows as well as hating that stupid Ribbon menu system. YUK!

edited December 1969

Now I have a handle on the tiles.

Once you sign up for the MS account, you don't have to use the email or anything, just gives you access to some of the other portals like the App Store.

Found just about all the apps I love on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 II Tab including the most fabulous radio app that I've got running now called TuneIn.... Tiles you can drag and drop to organize them. Which is really nice.

Of course I had to make the background Wolffie Green.. but of course! :P

Liking Win8 ALLOT now! :-)

RAMSStartMenu.jpg
    1000 x 530 - 142K
    edited December 1969

If anyone is troubled by the constant nag and lock screens that come on asking if it's OK for a driver to update or when your installing a program then this page will be of help to you.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-turn-off-smartscreen-filter-for-windows-8/

It shows you were your UAC is located and shows you how to turn off the lock screen nags!

• sunfirexedsunfirexed Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

In case you like to have the classic windows on windows 8.
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/