Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

She does look nice.  I hadn't seen her yet.  I love that skin.  I really like most skins with freckles, though.  :)

Yeah, me too. I really love freckled skin! :) On that character they just make her look so pretty.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

I know I scored the yearly membership as well for the $12 price.  I think I am now good for 14 months or something like that lol.  They do have some lovely characters and hair too.  I rarey buy either one any more but I've been waiting on the Zero Gravity hair to go on sale and finally felt like I could afford it lol.

Bah...I missed the PC yearly membership sale last week.  I let it run out at the beginning of July, and was thinking I might wait until a sale came up.  Then when a sale did come up,  I was busy having a meltdown and missed it.

I had a thought to start a freebie thread in the freebie forum (where I seem to spend a lot of time).  People are always requesting leads on freebies for their various projects, but we never see the finished work.  (or even the WIP!)  Also, people post links for all kinds of useful free models and scripts, but again, we never see the renders.

I thought it would be cool to start a render thread just for freebies in the Freebies Forum.  Yes, they have a contest with lots of rules where ppl can post renders in that forum.  My idea was to just give people a chance to show what they're doing with all these free models. No rules or anything.  Just show what you got!

Well, the idea got nixed by the mods.  Renders threads aren't allowed in there.  They have to be in the Art Forum. 

I do a lot of renders using free stuff.  The quality isn't really there, so the work is rough.  No where near what you normally see in the Art Forum  There isn't really any place I feel comfortable posting my stuff, so...I'm kinda...lost...and losing interest.  I'm not renewing my membership, and not paying top dollar for stuff I have no use for.  

I've been lurking around, reading the forums, admiring the work, and working on a couple of my own projects here and there.  (using freebies, of course!)

Maybe in a couple months I will get the urge to be creative again.

edited August 2016
    dHandle said:

I know I scored the yearly membership as well for the $12 price.  I think I am now good for 14 months or something like that lol.  They do have some lovely characters and hair too.  I rarey buy either one any more but I've been waiting on the Zero Gravity hair to go on sale and finally felt like I could afford it lol.

Bah...I missed the PC yearly membership sale last week.  I let it run out at the beginning of July, and was thinking I might wait until a sale came up.  Then when a sale did come up,  I was busy having a meltdown and missed it.

I had a thought to start a freebie thread in the freebie forum (where I seem to spend a lot of time).  People are always requesting leads on freebies for their various projects, but we never see the finished work.  (or even the WIP!)  Also, people post links for all kinds of useful free models and scripts, but again, we never see the renders.

I thought it would be cool to start a render thread just for freebies in the Freebies Forum.  Yes, they have a contest with lots of rules where ppl can post renders in that forum.  My idea was to just give people a chance to show what they're doing with all these free models. No rules or anything.  Just show what you got!

Well, the idea got nixed by the mods.  Renders threads aren't allowed in there.  They have to be in the Art Forum. 

I do a lot of renders using free stuff.  The quality isn't really there, so the work is rough.  No where near what you normally see in the Art Forum  There isn't really any place I feel comfortable posting my stuff, so...I'm kinda...lost...and losing interest.  I'm not renewing my membership, and not paying top dollar for stuff I have no use for.  

I've been lurking around, reading the forums, admiring the work, and working on a couple of my own projects here and there.  (using freebies, of course!)

Maybe in a couple months I will get the urge to be creative again.

Oh man, that really sucks. I'm sad they nixed that idea, I think that is a great idea. I think you should start the thread in the Art area. We're not posting masterpieces over here (well, I'm not, but some of us are lol). Many of us are just posting rough stuff and there is no need to feel inimidated or anything. Most of my renders are made with many freebies as well. I'd love to be a part of a thread like that, you should start it! :)

Edit - Ahhh, I'm sorry for hijacking your art thread, Sonja! I need to be more careful about where I'm posting. Forgive me for all the off topic chatter. *hug*

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Don't apologize!  I don't mind at all I perfectly happy having a discussion here about just about anything so its all good!

@dhandle you should start the thread here in the art studio anyway.  I think there is room for all kinds of works here and all kinds of skill levels.  That's how people learn. My stuff isn't all that great most of the time either but its a good way to keep track of stuff and its nice to have a conversation with people. I have a lot of freebies as well and would happily post as well.

I find I am really drawn to the fair freckled skin as well as the darker ethnic skins.  (I know, polar opposites)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Don't apologize!  I don't mind at all I perfectly happy having a discussion here about just about anything so its all good!

@dhandle you should start the thread here in the art studio anyway.  I think there is room for all kinds of works here and all kinds of skill levels.  That's how people learn. My stuff isn't all that great most of the time either but its a good way to keep track of stuff and its nice to have a conversation with people. I have a lot of freebies as well and would happily post as well.

I totally agree!

I find I am really drawn to the fair freckled skin as well as the darker ethnic skins.  (I know, polar opposites)

You aren't the only one.  I love trying to work with dark skin, too.  Trying to render dark skin well is a totally unique experience, but very satisfying when you get it right!

edited August 2016

Okay played with photo shop a bit tonight (I'm trying to finish things all the way through in a fairly timely manner lol). I realized AFTER I re rendered each layer separately and did all the post work that the camera did not load to the right angle when I reloaded the scene.  Sooooo I am not doing it again.  I love the first angle but I am not spending another three hours or so to do it all again. I have plenty of other ideas I need to finish so this one is just going to have to do.

Dreki Attack Post Work.jpg
    767 x 583 - 133K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited August 2016

Taisha - Half Elf

Genesis - Rapture Morph and Mats

Mitsu Hair - UHT2 Hair Salon

MFD - Reign

She is a character for the story I am putting together - I will be posting the pictures with the very short stories that go with them on my deviant art account.

Taisha .png
    800 x 1294 - 2M

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

She is a character for the story I am putting together - I will be posting the pictures with the very short stories that go with them on my deviant art account.

That looks lovely! What a pretty character and outfit! :D

What are the stories about?

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I LOVE working with dark and mid tone skin!  It is a challenge to light, even in photography.  Try mixing light and dark skinned individuals together if you really want to challenge yourself. 

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

Sorry!  I meant to finish my sentence and my husband was hollering it was time for bed (I have a bad tendency to stay up way too late on a work night if I am working on art lol)
     The stories are under this folder http://icedragonart.deviantart.com/gallery/59725557/1-The-World-of-Akasa-Gahari ; on my Deviant art account which is in my signature line as well.  I will probably be changing the world name and making this name the name of the cloud kingdom. Very very much a a work in progress, I just started this idea, we will see how it works out lol.  I wanted to tell short little stories that link together one way or the other inside a fantasy world. (I suck at writing so short little blurbs are about all I can handle lol) I have all these stories and characters in my head and the only real way for me to get them out is through pictures.  But I wanted to flesh it out just a bit, and link them all together.

dracorn said:

I LOVE working with dark and mid tone skin!  It is a challenge to light, even in photography.  Try mixing light and dark skinned individuals together if you really want to challenge yourself. 

Funny you should say that.... lol.  I have an idea for the High King and Queen that will most likely involve very different skin tones. I will be coming to you when I run into issues lol.

edited August 2016

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

Sorry!  I meant to finish my sentence and my husband was hollering it was time for bed (I have a bad tendency to stay up way too late on a work night if I am working on art lol)
     The stories are under this folder http://icedragonart.deviantart.com/gallery/59725557/1-The-World-of-Akasa-Gahari ; on my Deviant art account which is in my signature line as well.  I will probably be changing the world name and making this name the name of the cloud kingdom. Very very much a a work in progress, I just started this idea, we will see how it works out lol.  I wanted to tell short little stories that link together one way or the other inside a fantasy world. (I suck at writing so short little blurbs are about all I can handle lol) I have all these stories and characters in my head and the only real way for me to get them out is through pictures.  But I wanted to flesh it out just a bit, and link them all together.

That sounds like a good idea. I've subbed and I'm looking forward to the stories. Your Kimina character is AWESOME! I read a little of her bio and she sounds really cool. Do you have any stories of her up? :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Not yet.  I just decided to start this project last month lol.  Then my boss went on vacation and I have been working my job plus all of his hours so I haven't had much time to anything.  I have been fighting with LAMH to get my giant wolves hair done as well.  Ugh, I need 48 hours in a day lol. I did get most of Thaila's husband Dalek's portrait done last night I just have to go in and use the uht2 on his hair. There may be a secret meeting with the current characters some time soon.  We will see lol.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited August 2016

Sounds like a tutorial, Dracorn?  LOL. Yes, I really need help with lighting and skin tones.   

Great work on your character, Ice Dragon

dracorn said:

Funny you should say that.... lol.  I have an idea for the High King and Queen that will most likely involve very different skin tones. I will be coming to you when I run into issues lol.

Post edited by Diomede on

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

She looks great!  I really don't play with the MFD as much as I should considering all of the texture sets and differing looks that outfit can have.  I love the character.  Is she one of your Randomized characters?  She has an intriguing face.  Really nice render.

diomede said:

Sounds like a tutorial, Dracorn?  LOL. Yes, I really need help with lighting and skin tones.   

dracorn said:

A tutorial would be great....lol

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

She looks great!  I really don't play with the MFD as much as I should considering all of the texture sets and differing looks that outfit can have.  I love the character.  Is she one of your Randomized characters?  She has an intriguing face.  Really nice render.

Thanks!  This character is Rapture - I picked her up in the Genesis sale yesterday for $2.60.  No changes its all her morphs and make up.  She has some lovely make up too including a full lacy eye mask.

There are TONS of stuff for the MFD and they carry across generations so the ones for Genesis will work on the MFD for Genesis 3.  One of the things on my (very long) list of things to do is to figure out how to make my own designs for the MFD. 

edited August 2016

Dalek - Taisha's husband

Gianni 6

Dalek Portrait.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M

There are TONS of stuff for the MFD and they carry across generations so the ones for Genesis will work on the MFD for Genesis 3.  One of the things on my (very long) list of things to do is to figure out how to make my own designs for the MFD. 

Chohole has a tutorial on how to do that:

http://chohole.ovbi.org/texture_tutorial.htm

diomede said:

I can tell you how to do skin tones for 3Delight with my eyes closed... but I haven't played with Iray.  It's all done with the subsurfaces.  Looks like I'll have to mess around with Iray to see what I can accomplish. 

As to lighting - I learned lighting via Dreamlight tutorials, which are still on 70% off flash sale at the moment.  I highly recommend picking up one or more.  They are very informative and contain LOTs of useful information.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Thanks, I'll check out the sale. 

dracorn said:
    diomede said:

I can tell you how to do skin tones for 3Delight with my eyes closed... but I haven't played with Iray.  It's all done with the subsurfaces.  Looks like I'll have to mess around with Iray to see what I can accomplish. 

As to lighting - I learned lighting via Dreamlight tutorials, which are still on 70% off flash sale at the moment.  I highly recommend picking up one or more.  They are very informative and contain LOTs of useful information.

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

Thanks!  This character is Rapture - I picked her up in the Genesis sale yesterday for $2.60.  No changes its all her morphs and make up.  She has some lovely make up too including a full lacy eye mask.

Ah, well, at some point, I bought her.  I don't think I've ever rendered her.  I really need to stop buying so much until I render a substantial amount of my already full library!  Of course, now that I have two more kids who will be getting braces in the next month or so, my spending is going to be cut dramatically so I will be rendering what is in my library more anyway.  I think the only spending in my future will be PC+ club stuff.

edited August 2016
    dracorn said:
    diomede said:

I have a couple of his tutorials for other stuff.  They are very well done.  Unfortunately, I have had some other issues with some of his products on his website that I purchased and can't access. After 6 months of back and forth with a very very nice young lady I still can't access all of it.  Not her fault, its been forwarded to the tech team who apparently can't be bothered.  So I am currently using my wallet to express my dissatisfction with how things are going.  No point in spending the money if I can't use it.

And I love Chohole's textures for the MFD so I wlll be perusing that in my next spare moment thank you!

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

Ah, well, at some point, I bought her.  I don't think I've ever rendered her.  I really need to stop buying so much until I render a substantial amount of my already full library!  Of course, now that I have two more kids who will be getting braces in the next month or so, my spending is going to be cut dramatically so I will be rendering what is in my library more anyway.  I think the only spending in my future will be PC+ club stuff.

lol I sooo know the feeling.  I bought a couple of gift cards for the pa sale and the pc+ sale in the next couple of months and that will have to be it for me for awhile.  I have a huge library thanks to last years two sales and I have barely scratched the surface.  I need to finish going through and doing a quick portrait of each of the characters I have so I know whats what as well.  across generations I think I have a several hundred.  Which is downright ridiculous.  But when they are on sale for less than $5....

edited August 2016

Queen Almalikat - High Queen of Pantasya (and yes I change the name lol)

Genesis 3 Female Aylin from Darwins Mishaps.

Fantasy Hair

Destiny Gardens Fabrics of Asia Shaders

Fantasy Leather Shaders

UHT2

Lotus Maiden Outfit

Queen Almalikat.png
    1094 x 1770 - 2M
    Queen Almalikat 2.png
    1094 x 1770 - 3M
  • Absolutely lovely!

Taisha - Half Elf

MFD - Reign

lol I sooo know the feeling.  I bought a couple of gift cards for the pa sale and the pc+ sale in the next couple of months and that will have to be it for me for awhile.  I have a huge library thanks to last years two sales and I have barely scratched the surface.  I need to finish going through and doing a quick portrait of each of the characters I have so I know whats what as well.  across generations I think I have a several hundred.  Which is downright ridiculous.  But when they are on sale for less than $5....

Yes, I know that feeling which is why I had a bunch of .60 products in my cart last week!  I had money saved specifically for Zev0's Aging Morphs which I saw came out today.  Everything else I like in the foreseeable future is just going to have wait until it is not new and cheap!

Queen Almalikat - High Queen of Pantasya (and yes I change the name lol)

Genesis 3 Female Aylin from Darwins Mishaps.

Fantasy Hair

Destiny Gardens Fabrics of Asia Shaders

Fantasy Leather Shaders

UHT2

Lotus Maiden Outfit

Very beautifully done!  You are getting some mad skills there, girl!

Thank you both!  I am starting to feel that I am almost know what I am doing.  Sometimes lol.

This discussion has been closed.