Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    dracorn said:

I grab every shader I can get my hands on, from Daz or anywhere else.  The only problem with kit bashing is that some items have few or only one material zone.  Take Luthbel's magnificent Paladin HD MMXV.  The armor has all these swirl designs, but they are not separate material zones.  I picked up the armor to use for a character of mine, but the color needs to be indigo and red, and I wanted those swirls to be red. 

Yes, I know that I can use Geometry Editor, but have you tried to use it?  It highlights only a pixel at a time, and there is no deselect if you highlight an unwanted area.  There has got to be a better way to add your own material zone.  Maybe I should open a thread about it.

Dracorn, using the Geometry Editor and the Tool Settings Pane, you can set the editor to use faces instead of vertices.  You can also use the CTRL key to select multiple faces.  Once a face or faces are selected, you can right click on it, choose Geometry Selection, and increase, decrease, select loops, etc.  That, along with judicious use of UNDO for when you click in the wrong place, works pretty well.

It's pretty tedious, but thanks for the advice.  I was trying it out on Paladin, but there are places where there aren't smooth edges, so it wasn't looking good.  I may have to take the texture into Photoshop and modify it there.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I haven't even looked at the geometry editor yet....sigh..SO much to learn!

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited August 2016
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

I grab every shader I can get my hands on, from Daz or anywhere else.  The only problem with kit bashing is that some items have few or only one material zone.  Take Luthbel's magnificent Paladin HD MMXV.  The armor has all these swirl designs, but they are not separate material zones.  I picked up the armor to use for a character of mine, but the color needs to be indigo and red, and I wanted those swirls to be red. 

Yes, I know that I can use Geometry Editor, but have you tried to use it?  It highlights only a pixel at a time, and there is no deselect if you highlight an unwanted area.  There has got to be a better way to add your own material zone.  Maybe I should open a thread about it.

Dracorn, using the Geometry Editor and the Tool Settings Pane, you can set the editor to use faces instead of vertices.  You can also use the CTRL key to select multiple faces.  Once a face or faces are selected, you can right click on it, choose Geometry Selection, and increase, decrease, select loops, etc.  That, along with judicious use of UNDO for when you click in the wrong place, works pretty well.

It's pretty tedious, but thanks for the advice.  I was trying it out on Paladin, but there are places where there aren't smooth edges, so it wasn't looking good.  I may have to take the texture into Photoshop and modify it there.

It's very tedious, I agree.  Depending on what the goal is, another technique is to select a boundary of faces just outside the area you want to change and hide them using the editor.  Then select one face and use the Geometry Selection->Connected option.   The hidden faces act as a break line in the connected calculation.  But regardless, it's very tedious.

I used the technique to modify the surfaces on the motorcycle guns in http://tabascojack.deviantart.com/art/Yamaki-Enforcer-598330244.

And of course, the big problem is that when all is said and done, you can only impact polygon faces.  So smooth curved details or embellishments on a texture still have to be done in a texture editor.  Resurfacing with the Geometry Editor is a blunt instrument at best.

Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

So I've decided to do as story.  Not a traditional story because I don't have the skill or the time to write the way that good books are written.  But a world, cobbled together by pictures and snapshops of the lives of the people (and non people) who live there.   I will be posting all of the bits and pieces on my Deviant Art account in a folder titled Welcome to Akasa Gahari.  We'll see what happens lol.  I just need a bit more structure and direction for my renders now that I have a bit more of a clue as to what I am doing.  Not that I won't wonder off into other worlds or do different things but I would like to make it a point to do something with this world at least once a week.

Hi friend, wonderful creations, making great progress yes really like this one smiley

Thank you!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330

So I've decided to do as story.  Not a traditional story because I don't have the skill or the time to write the way that good books are written.  But a world, cobbled together by pictures and snapshops of the lives of the people (and non people) who live there.   I will be posting all of the bits and pieces on my Deviant Art account in a folder titled Welcome to Akasa Gahari.  We'll see what happens lol.  I just need a bit more structure and direction for my renders now that I have a bit more of a clue as to what I am doing.  Not that I won't wonder off into other worlds or do different things but I would like to make it a point to do something with this world at least once a week.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so a picture and short snippet of information can often times convey plenty of storytelling.  That's a great first image.  We'll be watching with the interest the World of Pantasya

edited August 2016

Draupardi from Chevybabe.  I couldn't decided which background I liked best so I just did them both.

Draupardi Test 1.png
    1094 x 1094 - 2M
    Draupardi Test 2.png
    1094 x 1094 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so a picture and short snippet of information can often times convey plenty of storytelling.  That's a great first image.  We'll be watching with the interest the World of Pantasya

Thank you!  I hope I can do it justice lol!

edited August 2016

Quicky of the Hivewire cat and cub.

Afternoon Playtime.png
    1094 x 1094 - 3M
  • I think I like the image of Draupardi with the grey background better, although they're both really good.  Love the Hivewire Cat pic.  wink

Ya the grey makes her stand out more and her face is tilted just a tiny bit more so its easier to see her eyes.

And thanks, I really like this cat, and the cub is adorable.  I need to do one with the black coat but that will have to wait as the meds are wearing off and I feel another nap is needed.  I don't think I've been down with the flu for this long in many years.  Usually only takes a couple of days but this one doesn't want to go away for some reason.  I'm trying to be reasonable but I have a hard time just staying in bed and doing nothing.  and since I don't have my laptop back I can't even do that while resting lol.  I'm stuck with a tablet and my phone.  So rendering if I'm not upright and in front of the pc in the living room.  I've pushed myself far enough today though I think.

edited August 2016

And thanks, I really like this cat, and the cub is adorable.  I need to do one with the black coat but that will have to wait as the meds are wearing off and I feel another nap is needed.  I don't think I've been down with the flu for this long in many years.  Usually only takes a couple of days but this one doesn't want to go away for some reason.  I'm trying to be reasonable but I have a hard time just staying in bed and doing nothing.  and since I don't have my laptop back I can't even do that while resting lol.  I'm stuck with a tablet and my phone.  So rendering if I'm not upright and in front of the pc in the living room.  I've pushed myself far enough today though I think.

Yay, the cub is out!   He is really cute. 

Reduce the lighting a little bit, it's a little overexposed.  The cub is looking at his mother, but you need to move her eyes towards the cub. Also, the cub's feet appear to be sunk into the stone a little. 

Just a few adjustments and this will be a very nice render.

Is that the Ancient Ruins?  I had the same idea with the cat - looks like you beat me to it, LOL. 

Post edited by dracorn on

Ya the grey makes her stand out more and her face is tilted just a tiny bit more so its easier to see her eyes.

Yep, gray is better.

awesomefb said:

Hi friend, wonderful creations, making great progress yes really like this one smiley

Woa!  I missed this one! 

WOW, WOW, WOW!

This render is professional, Sonja.  It's beautiful!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I really like the grey one, too, Sonja!  Great image.  I think the background and the head tilted up just that bit more really make a difference!

dracorn said:

Reduce the lighting a little bit, it's a little overexposed.  The cub is looking at his mother, but you need to move her eyes towards the cub. Also, the cub's feet appear to be sunk into the stone a little. 

Is that the Ancient Ruins?  I had the same idea with the cat - looks like you beat me to it, LOL. 

Lol feel free you won't hurt my feelings.  I literally dropped it all in and hit render then went back to bed.  I have to look at my settings something is off I am getting a lot of overexposed stuff and I wasn't before. I'm sure fiddled with something and forgot to switch it back.  Will track it down once this nasty flu is gone.

dracorn said:
    awesomefb said:

Woa!  I missed this one! 

WOW, WOW, WOW!

I need to smooth the seem between the water and the land in ps but I am super happy with it.

dracorn said:

This render is professional, Sonja.  It's beautiful!

I really like the grey one, too, Sonja!  Great image.  I think the background and the head tilted up just that bit more really make a difference!

Crazy how a tiny detail can change things isn't it?

edited August 2016

Nuts, had a draft that I already sent.  Ignore this one.

Post edited by dracorn on
    dracorn said:

Lol feel free you won't hurt my feelings.  I literally dropped it all in and hit render then went back to bed.  I have to look at my settings something is off I am getting a lot of overexposed stuff and I wasn't before. I'm sure fiddled with something and forgot to switch it back.  Will track it down once this nasty flu is gone.

I picked up the black panther - since the cub is a morph, the coat color goes with it. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Dawwww That's so cute! I love how he's all pawing his mamma's face, like "Play with me". heheh Lovely work, Sonja! :D

You might be careful of the ground terrain a bit though, looks like baby kitty is sinking into the rock a bit. And the grass is cutting through mom cat's legs. 

It's an adorable image though, I love the playfulness of it! :D

Dawwww That's so cute! I love how he's all pawing his mamma's face, like "Play with me". heheh Lovely work, Sonja! :D

You might be careful of the ground terrain a bit though, looks like baby kitty is sinking into the rock a bit. And the grass is cutting through mom cat's legs. 

Ya it was just a quickie to see how the cub looked.  Nothing serious.

Oh dang - I just read back what I wrote and it sounds totally rude. I hope I didn't offend you. If I did, I'm sorry. :( Sometimes I don't think before I type.

Oh dang - I just read back what I wrote and it sounds totally rude. I hope I didn't offend you. If I did, I'm sorry. :( Sometimes I don't think before I type.

lol no I didn't take it that way at all.  (I'm super hard to offend anyway lol). I appreciate constructive criticism so no worries!

edited August 2016

Okay did another one, these cubs are just too cute!

Cubs Playtime.png
    1094 x 1094 - 2M
    edited August 2016

lol no I didn't take it that way at all.  (I'm super hard to offend anyway lol). I appreciate constructive criticism so no worries!

Oh good! :D I'm glad I didn't offend you.

Oh my goodness! I may die of cuteness overload! lol :D 

I love it! Well done - these little guys look so good, this render makes me want to get them! hehe

I love the way you've set up the little black one - he totally looks like his head is hanging off the step. Excellent posing!

Post edited by 3Diva on

Thanks Diva!  Ya they are super cute. And I was far more awake when I put this one together lol.  I also figured out what my over exposure problem was.  One of my premade lightsets changed the environment intensity to 2 instead of 1 and for some reason it didn't change back to the default when I loaded Studio back up again.  It won't keep my headlight setting to never but it will carry over the something like that..Crazy.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Nice!  Makes me wish I had picked these up when they were on sale.  Oh well, next time!  You did a great job with this!

Thanks!  I really just want to cuddle one lol.... will have to make do with the one I have I guess.  He doesn't particularly care to share his humans anyway.

This discussion has been closed.