Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
edited September 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign”

Click for entry Thread

Kindly Sponsored by Fenric and Daz

Please see new concept rules for voting - at end of this post

Well, it's been three years and three months since we started these challenges!

I would like to congratulate and  thank everyone who has been involved in them, not only the participants and the hosts,  but also Daz and all our very generous sponsors - some of whom have sponsored us more than once.

I think during the challenges we have each learnt something and I feel they also add that valuable sense of community that makes the Carrara forum such a special place.

While we all wait for the new Carrara 9 with bated breath, I thought in Challenge #27 we should reward ourselves by showcasing Carrara herself.

So the rules are simple:

1) Make a render where not only the words 'Carrara' and '9' (or 'Nine') appear, but a  render that advertises how fantastic Carrara is as software.

It could be a design for the new Carrara 9 Box.

It could be a forest path with a sign pointing in one direction, saying 'Carrara, 9 miles.'

It could be Carrara 9 made out of replicated leaves. It could be written in the clouds by a skywriter.

It could be a render where each object you made in Carrara is labelled as such (Made in Carrara).

Most importantly, we want everyone to know that the render was made in Carrara by having a reference to Carrara somewhere IN the image (not on top of).

Basic rules will be:

1. Each participant may submit up to 3 images into the Challenge.

2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).

3. Images must be primarily set up in Carrara.

4. Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane).

5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread

6, The words 'Carrara' and '9' (or 'Nine') should appear at least once in the image.

7. Screen shot of the scene in Carrara to be included in WIP - (sorry added this later).

Please note, there is no requirement for the winner to host the next challenge, unless they want to.

Sponsor:

smileysmileysmileysmiley

Once again Daz will generously sponsor the monthly challenge with the following prizes:

1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $ 50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $ 25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Honorable Mention (4th place): $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s) ( may be used for best new comers).

I am excited to announce that the amazing Fenric has confirmed his sponsorship: details to be announced.

Fenric's Daz page is here http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fenric

He also has  a Fox Den which is currently closed but you never know what the future brings.....

Dates to Remember:

all dates are Daz Utah Time http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/salt-lake-city

WIP Thread Opens: Thursday 11 Th August (or before)

Entry Thread Opens: Thursday 1st September 2016

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Saturday 10th September

Voting Ends: Saturday 17th September

The commons thread is here if you would like to share your entries!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/108776/carrara-challenge-27-carrara-9-give-us-a-sign-all-carrara-users-welcome-big-prizes

CONCEPT VOTING RULES PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT

I was thinking maybe because we are having up to three images an entrant we could judge the winner by their scores combined. ie if their image 1 gets 24 votes, their image 2 gets 12 votes, and their image 3 gets 12 votes then they score 48.

2nd and third and HM would be as per usual - ie based on votes for one image.

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

SWEET!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Just up your alley, as supreme ambassador for Carrara!

I hope you enter.

If you win there is no pressure to be the next host anymore.

head wax said:

If you win there is no pressure to be the next host anymore.

Really? Do explain!

Yes, I believe Chickenman was kind enough to volunteer his services when the winner of the previous challenge was unable to host.

So, I better go and make that clear in the first post!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

Great idea. As soon as I saw it I had 1 idea and now even more. I'll try to get a WIP up soon. Can't believe that no Carrara modeling is required... but then I've not looked at all the past Challenges.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

So many ideas, an image speaks a thousand words, I may actually enter this one

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

ok.. who will be first to post a carrara cat render with 9 lives!

can an upside down 6 suffice?

have to think about this one .... so far I have nothing!

Good rendering everyone yes

wgdjohn said:

Great idea. As soon as I saw it I had 1 idea and now even more. I'll try to get a WIP up soon. Can't believe that no Carrara modeling is required... but then I've not looked at all the past Challenges.

thanks-a-lot :)

, oh just trying to make it a little simpler, but you are allowed to model something if you wish !

Sad said:

So many ideas, an image speaks a thousand words, I may actually enter this one

Wendy, that would be wonderful if you do, thank you! So much to say about so many things ;)

Stezza said:

ok.. who will be first to post a carrara cat render with 9 lives!

can an upside down 6 suffice?

have to think about this one .... so far I have nothing!

Good rendering everyone yes

heh, yes Number 9, the Beatle's one, hard to do as an image - maybe the Fab Four Crossing Abbey Rd flying the Carrara flag?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited August 2016

sounds good... Abbey Rd... hmmm

In the meantime I just knocked this one up to get it rolling..

Carrara text converted to a vertex model so I could push and move around. used Klaus and Noodle as extras smiley

created Gumby and used a bend and twist modifier on him because that's what you do with Gumby

and it's Thursday evening on the 11th here 

Puss and 9.jpg
    800 x 450 - 199K
    Post edited by Stezza on

classic, thanks for starting the ball rolling, great example  of what Carrara can do. Klaus looks as good as Gumby ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Gonna put my thinking cap on and have a go at this one. Got an idea forming already . . . :)

Great news TangoAlpha, looking forward to it !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited August 2016

Aha, we get to submit up to three images this time.  Makes me so happy I  could jump for joy.  One of mine will definitely be a toon render, then.

jump for joy.jpg
    800 x 600 - 55K
    Post edited by Diomede on

ha ha Toon is good, and a good jump for joy :)

I like toon

edited August 2016

this isn't what I had in mind, I want to do a forest scene! 

but this is 

something simple f rom me, basic carrara water shader on an infinite plane, night sky, the blue light is replicated fire, the text is carrara text, small spheres with a glow on them replicated on the text and an aura in the Scene parameter to give a glow around Carrara text 

Doc4.jpg
    900 x 675 - 313K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited August 2016

EDIT:  Deleted old WIP.  Will replace with something that uses at least one of the plugins I am trying to learn.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Nice Challenge I will have to see what I come up with.

Obviously there will be the required Chickenman because I can't have render with out him.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

love the theme!

hmmm, Carrara of 9 leaps to mind.  need some borg tech lol smiley

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70

Great topic and I've got several ideas! One of which I came up with for the last challenge after the submission deadline 

One question: If we submit more than one image, do they each have to be in the WIP thread first?

@chickenman ans @MistyMist, and @pnewhook great news, looking forward to seeing what you come up with ;)

@pnewhook, ah a WIP is very miuch preffered because it is part of sharing knowledge and technique

and keeping interest in the challenge, plus getting feedback,

So yes, WIPs please ;) The don't have to be complicated mind you.

cheeers !

c

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    OK will do. The WIP comments were very useful to me in the last challenge!
    edited August 2016

Here's my start towards gathering my thoughts in-scene. I figured showing off some of DCG's shader power might be fun, so the 9 is C-Enhanced! ;)

With the Beatles mentioned above, I was going to replicate "Number 9" a bunch of times going waaay off into the distance. Maybe in another image. Heck, we get three, right? 

If (if, being the important word here) I were to win one of these (highly unlikely), I would have too much fun running the next one to pass the shoe... I think that running one of these has got to be a real blast!

Carrara9_01a.jpg
    600 x 800 - 278K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

What a blast combining both Woodlands and Badlands together to make this scenery! I even brought in some terrain from the Underwater Realms kit too, but it's not in frame of this shot. It's fun how they all work so nicely with each other! :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2016

Awesome challenge idea!

Just doodling at this point but I'm getting closer to something - I wanted to do something with replicators and this is my first draft.

I'm using a bunch of different things here:

• The glowing spheres are placed using a surface replicator restricted to just the horizontal surfaces and distributed usign a black and white map
    • The darker spheres are placed using a surface replicator, also restricted to just the horizontal surfaces, and distributed using the inverse of the above map
    • Both are replicating across a shaped surface made quickly in the vertex modeller
    • The glow shader is using both Sparrowhawke's instance randomizer for some variety in the color and his falloff shader to make the spheres brighter at their center
    • The number nine was modeled in the vertex modeler and has one of the DP Veloute shaders applied to it
    • The lighting in the scene is coming from:
      • an HDRI
      • a single distant light restricted to only lighting up the number nine
      • the glow from the lit-up spheres
      • caustics! yeah! :)

Image straight out of Carrara with no post-work:

WIPSetup.JPG
    1882 x 959 - 381K
    DistroShader.JPG
    652 x 454 - 57K
    GlowShader.JPG
    1455 x 818 - 93K
    Doc45.jpg
    664 x 700 - 116K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

Slowed down already just finding a good font... there are others which are invisible.
    1st pic. I've added the name of the font at the end in order to not try them again.

2nd pic is just a cube...  For shaders I've a mixture of the ones that come with Carrara as well as some from DCG, Shader Ops and Enhance: C. I've not worked my way down the shader tree further yet. Creating new shader setting I can spend considerable time. Need to figure out how to compress the gradient... to large for me.... on the other hand I kinda like the camera facing side.

3rd and 4th pic are details of the Shader list and each DCG shader.

Object: I'm either going to have each letter and 9 either boolean embossed into their own blocks or perhaps even raised out of each.
    About the cube... I'm trying to recreate the look of the original tan block that Carrara appears embossed.

BTW: Nice looking WIPs folks. I'll get something better up once I get going. :)

Carrara_Text_01_1.png
    640 x 480 - 219K
    Carr Block_01_1.png
    640 x 480 - 53K
    CarrBlock01.png
    857 x 814 - 190K
    CarrBlock02.png
    937 x 891 - 318K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Great theme head wax ... Well thought

Here's my start towards gathering my thoughts in-scene. I figured showing off some of DCG's shader power might be fun, so the 9 is C-Enhanced! ;)

With the Beatles mentioned above, I was going to replicate "Number 9" a bunch of times going waaay off into the distance. Maybe in another image. Heck, we get three, right? 

If (if, being the important word here) I were to win one of these (highly unlikely), I would have too much fun running the next one to pass the shoe... I think that running one of these has got to be a real blast!

Nice work Dart, love the glow on that, so what shader bit did you use for us who don't have that plugin and would love to be persuaded to buy it :)

@MDO2010  and wgdjohn  thanks for the thorough explantion, that really helps new and old Carrara users.

Impressive use of caustics again @MDO2010 .

Thanks cdordoni  . Good to see Carrara getting a little well desrved love ;)