Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Bejaymac said:
    sedor said:
    Bejaymac said:
    Just out of curiosity, but can Poser users now save in the DSON file format with this or is it just an importer ?

This tool allows you to use Genesis (and Genesis-Content) inside Poser, you can't save with it in the DSON file format.

In that case this is yet another no brainer by DAZ, I've just seen a post over at Rendo where someone done with Genesis what they normally do with other figures, ie load the figure, dial up a morph, apply a texture, load clothing and hair, and save it back to the figure library, 400 MB of their disk space vanished doing that, it wont take long to fill a 1TB drive doing that.

I don't think it's quite that severe. I just saved a pz2 scene with 2 M5s (subdivided) a back drop and two underwear and that file is 52mb. The render I rendered in Poser with one M5 and bluebird3d's "A bright loft" only took 33. Poser doesn't support DSON natively so it can't save the scene in that format, so you can't drop that in DAZ's lap. ;)

Hmm wonder why the second half of my post didn't make it.

Repost :P
    Then there's the problem of content, it's odds on that people are going to start making content in P9/Pro12 for Genesis, and because they can't save in DSON means it wont be compatible with DS4, so our own figure will have content that we can't use on it.

*Bold text in quote* that one I can :P

DS4 still reads Poser format files such as cr2's etc. so content created in Poser for Genesis shouldn't be an issue.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited October 2012

Bejaymac said:

Hmm wonder why the second half of my post didn't make it.

Repost :P
    Then there's the problem of content, it's odds on that people are going to start making content in P9/Pro12 for Genesis, and because they can't save in DSON means it wont be compatible with DS4, so our own figure will have content that we can't use on it.

*Bold text in quote* that one I can :P

But this is an importer since Genesis is not native to Poser, so you won't be saving any of Genesis' formats from Poser. Until then, content creation should be done in DS4 with the default genesis shape. I can already see people exporting the V4 shape from poser attempting to rig clothing to it and finding out that's not how you create genesis clothing especially when the clothing starts floating in the wrong places on different shapes.

DS4 still reads Poser format files such as cr2's etc. so content created in Poser for Genesis shouldn't be an issue.

That won't work. Morphs and clothing need to be in the DSON format for Genesis.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

But you could make poser dynamics for genesis to wear. Unfortunately they won't work in DS.

• yannich_ff4dab420dyannich_ff4dab420d Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    Yannich said:
    I'm on a MAC . I own Poser 9 SR 3.1 . I created a folder inside my Poser Runtime and named it Genesis . In this folder , I have downloaded
    GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx and GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc . I have downloaded DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Mac32 too . Everything seems to be perfect but when I try to load Genesis or M5 , nothing appears in my work space . I waited about 5 minutes : nothing . I moved the folder to another place : Documents : same problem . What did I do wrong ? Thank you to help me, I tried to resolve the problem since yesterday ...

Putting a content folder, with its own Runtime folder, inside another content folder is likely to cause trouble. Since you are on a Mac you can, if you like, install content to the application folder (though it's still not advised as far as I know), or to a totally separate folder that you have told Poser to use as a library. That may not be the cause of your problem but it does sound as if the needed files aren't being found.

What Richard said. Check out the installation guide:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/start

In my installation I ended up installing to three different areas:
    - Genesis Stater Essentials TRX to a DS Content folder.
    - Genesis Starter Essentials Poser to an all-new Runtime folder not located in my regular Poser directory.
    - DSON Importer pointed at my main Poser Installation.

And then make sure to point the Poser library at the first two folders, adding them as extra Runtimes. Poser's got to know where to look to find the files.

How can I thank you ! It's like a miracle ! Thank you very much .
    Now, can I bother you ? I bought Textures,characters for M5 can I use them ? Do I have to update all my stuff ?
    Thanks again .

edited December 1969

Yannich said:
    I'm on a MAC . I own Poser 9 SR 3.1 . I created a folder inside my Poser Runtime and named it Genesis . In this folder , I have downloaded
    GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx and GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc . I have downloaded DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Mac32 too . Everything seems to be perfect but when I try to load Genesis or M5 , nothing appears in my work space . I waited about 5 minutes : nothing . I moved the folder to another place : Documents : same problem . What did I do wrong ? Thank you to help me, I tried to resolve the problem since yesterday ...

Did you install the DSON Importer where you have your other python scripts (main program folder usually, I think?)

Thank you, It works !

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    im pretty sure there is something wrong with the 64bit installer in some cases..

in a 64bit machine with 64bit windows and a 64bit sr3.1 poser with the right c++ updates and a new clean install outside the program files i still have the below message...

i have try every scenario you can imagine....

as Neo once said....

help!

Do your other Python scripts work, and is the DSON script in the same location?

yes the other scripts work...and the dson is in the same location...

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

dtamm said:
    Isikol said:
    im pretty sure there is something wrong with the 64bit installer in some cases..

in a 64bit machine with 64bit windows and a 64bit sr3.1 poser with the right c++ updates and a new clean install outside the program files i still have the below message...

as Neo once said....

help!

Find PoserPro.exe, from there navigate to Runtime\Python\addons\dson, right click on dzdsonimporter.pyd and choose properties. What is the size?

it says 1,46 MB (1.533.440 bytes)

• MidnightOwlMidnightOwl Posts: 12
    edited October 2012

Hmmm... I need more coffee before trying to help. ;) Still too early in the morning for me. :(

Post edited by MidnightOwl on
    edited October 2012

Double post.

Post edited by MidnightOwl on
  • ObirusskenobiObirusskenobi Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

I was so looking forward to using DSON for poser and was even about to spend $162 on both V5 & M5 pro mobel suite bundles but it's just not meant to happen. No matter what I do I can't get it to work.

When I try and open the gensis figure here's what I get:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "K:\POSER GENESIS\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

I've got Poser pro 2012 64bit SR3, I've installed all correct 3 files that were required including the DSON importer 64 bit version. re-installed my poser to a location outside of program files, installed the genesis starter essentials in its own directory on a seperate drive and in the poser directory itself, Ive tried opening from both places but they just dont work.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

gengrab.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 664K
  • Miranas ArtMiranas Art Posts: 68
    edited October 2012

So here is my test:
    Genesis with a V4 Texture from Sabby; KerkyraHair for V4; Paladin and Paragon for M4

Is there any way to import the morphs (example the hair)?

Edit:
    Second test with Kid

gentest2.jpg
    1300 x 802 - 140K
    gentest.jpg
    1300 x 802 - 123K
    Post edited by Miranas Art on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Stupid question of the day ...

When I am resetting my products, I am getting three files (most of the time). As I am using DS and Poser, I don't know which files I need to install now and what is what:
    13429_GenesisBikini_1.4_trx
    13429_GenesisBikiniLegacy_1.4_trx
    13429_GenesisBikiniPoserCF_1.4_dpc

What is the Legacy file for? For DS4? For ... I don't know ...
    will the 1.4_trx install the same files as before or more?

Puzzled ...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The legacy files are for those running DS4 or earlier. If you are using DS 4.5 and/or Porser then you won't need it.

edited December 1969

If I convert a dress I have made for Genesis to the new DUF format and then make the Poser Companion Files. Can I distribute them and what exactly would I have to include in the package to make sure it works in both Poser and DS? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to package these files up so they can be distributed legally?

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2012

I was so looking forward to using DSON for poser and was even about to spend $162 on both V5 & M5 pro mobel suite bundles but it's just not meant to happen. No matter what I do I can't get it to work.

When I try and open the gensis figure here's what I get:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "K:\POSER GENESIS\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

I've got Poser pro 2012 64bit SR3, I've installed all correct 3 files that were required including the DSON importer 64 bit version. re-installed my poser to a location outside of program files, installed the genesis starter essentials in its own directory on a seperate drive and in the poser directory itself, Ive tried opening from both places but they just dont work.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Ok,

First off, installing the SR3.1 for PP2012 is recommended. You don't need to move Poser anywhere, that stays in Program Files.

Having installed DSON, I double clicked the Computer icon on my desktop, clicked Documents under Libraries and added a new folder in that Documents library called DAZ (the new folder effectively becomes a library) and installed all the Genesis stuff into that new library. (You specify the new library as a custom path when asked where to install the content.) In Poser, I added the new DAZ library to the main one i.e. the one that comes up when Poser launches. Doing this seems to add that new DAZ library to all the libraries and the relevant Genesis stuff can be found in those new DAZ libraries. It all worked like a charm after that.

If everyone else does likewise, then I hope it'll work for you and them too....

Below is a render, just to prove it did work.

CHEERS!

PS (Richard, I hope I got that right!)

Genesis-Male-01.jpg
    588 x 600 - 40K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Amethyst said:
    If I convert a dress I have made for Genesis to the new DUF format and then make the Poser Companion Files. Can I distribute them and what exactly would I have to include in the package to make sure it works in both Poser and DS? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to package these files up so they can be distributed legally?

Yes, in fact it's the hope that content makers will provide the companion files so that their products are available to those who simply can't run DS at all (or who simply don't want to learn yet another application). You'd need the \Data folder for your dress, the DS users files (\People\Genesis\Clothing\Amethyst's Dress, or whatever), the \Runtime\Textures folders you use and the \Runtime\Libraries\... files with the companion files, including the second copy of the .dufs from the People folder.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited October 2012

OKay got all the stuff installed but I am at a loss on how you even get genesis figure into poser. No Genesis folders show up in the poser libraries so where do I find the content? All my poser content files are in "My Documents" and this is where I pointed the GenesisStarterEssentials _1.6_trx and the GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc. I do not have DS installed on my PC so I don't understand what or why the trx file are needed to be installed. Could it be that the GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc needed to go directly into the PoserPro 2012 content file in order to show up in my libraries?

Thanks!

There won't be any folders named Genesis - the base figure gets put in the DAZ People folder, alongside the older figures, if present.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SarunaSaruna Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Hi.

This picture is proof that Genesis has moved into my Poser 9 with help from Dson. My Genesis-Family only speak German - sorry. ;)
    Thank you Daz - I did't have any problems to install the Scripts and the EssentialStarter Content.
    Since yesterday I have renewed my PC-Membership because now I can see you have a heart for Poser-Users. too.

I love this possibility and thank you so much!

familie_genesis.jpg
    914 x 702 - 130K
    edited December 1969

Some M5 stuff I bought are updated in the store ( Genesis Evolution: Body Morphs, Yolande Hair etc ... ) but not in my downloadable item . Why ? Do I have to buy them one more time ?

edited December 1969

Sounds to me like you'll have to reset your downloads by going into your Itemised Order History.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Sounds to me like you'll have to reset your downloads by going into your Itemised Order History.

CHEERS!

Yes, I did it but the cf file and dson file are missing ...
  • WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

as Neo once said....

help!

OK. I have 64 bit laptop, 64 bit Windows 7, But I used 32 bit SR3.1 for Poser 9. Only because Poser 9 is 32 bits. It works for me. Hope this helps.

edited October 2012

Yannich said:

Oh, not sure what to suggest now, I'm sure someone else will know.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Yannich said:

Oh, not sure what to suggest now, I'm sure someone else will know.

CHEERS!

Maybe the shop owner :-)
    Anyway, thank you for your answer .

edited December 1969

Isikol said:

as Neo once said....

help!

OK. I have 64 bit laptop, 64 bit Windows 7, But I used 32 bit SR3.1 for Poser 9. Only because Poser 9 is 32 bits. It works for me. Hope this helps.

I think I know where the confusion is happening.

Poser stays where it is, you do NOT need to move this out of Program Files. I went into Computer and opened up the Documents library. I put a new folder in there called Daz, this in effect is now a library. Install the Genesis content into this library by specifying a custom installation. In Poser you add this new Daz library and all the relevant Genesis content is placed into the relevant libraries.

There does appear to be a lack of clarity in the DSON instructions.

Anyway, this does work, as I said on the previous page to this one.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

OK. I keep hearing everyone talking about going to their Documents folder. What is suppose to be in it? I looked at mine, and I have nothing that pertains to Daz or Poser 9 in it.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Just spotted this in my DSON search results:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/poke-away

That looks very useful, but, there's no mention of DSON in the blurb, so does that mean it still needs converting!?

That DSON list is starting to get confusing, particularly when things like that are included which don't appear to have been converted.

CHEERS!

Poke-away is rather an old product -when DS4 first came out, as a beta, it wasn't possible to hide body parts and the morphs were an alternative. However, they fixed that quickly (before the official release). Fortunately, since these are just morphs they don't need .duf files and do seem to work in the current version with the importer - they just appear as a group of morphs at the bottom of the list. You can also hid body parts by setting their Subdivision Exclude parameter to 1. In the image I set the collar's SubD exclude to 1 and applied the X-Away Left arm morph, so you can see both working in PP2012.

Ah, thanks for that! Took some digging to find the reply.

I'll give that one a go when I get all the other stuff.

CHEERS!

edited October 2012

OK. I keep hearing everyone talking about going to their Documents folder. What is suppose to be in it? I looked at mine, and I have nothing that pertains to Daz or Poser 9 in it.

There doesn't need to be. What the contents of this folder are are writable libraries. All you do is create one and install your Genesis content into it. You then add this new library in Poser (That's the folder icon with the + sign.) and DSON will work.

It did take me a little while to fathom that this was what the DSON instructions wanted me to do, but, it worked. By default Vue stores it's content in the Documents library and it was that which made me realise what I needed to do.

Hope this helps.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

There doesn't need to be. What the contents of this folder are are writable libraries. All you do is create one and install your Genesis content into it. You then add this new library in Poser (That's the folder icon with the + sign.) and DSON will work.

It did take me a little while to fathom that this was what the DSON instructions wanted me to do, but, it worked. By default Vue stores it's content in the Documents library and it was that which made me realise what I needed to do.

Hope this helps.

CHEERS!

I made a Poser 9 Content folder on my external hard drive. That is where I put all content for Poser, even the Genesis stuff. It works for me. And, with more and more stuff I keep putting in Poser, it doesn't bog down my laptop hard drive. The external hard drive is bigger than my laptop hard drive. Thanks for telling me what it is.

• danboidanboi Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi. I've managed to get DSON working for me in poser 9 but not fully as I still have the frozen library. I've installed the M5 pro package but I can't seem to locate the M5 gens in poser 9's library. Are the M5 Gens compatible yet?

Danny

This discussion has been closed.