Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• edited October 2012

If you cannot change library categories (from Figures to Pose, Expressions, Hair, Props, Light, Camera, etc.), some of us are able to get around the problem by launching the Library outside the Poser application.

Edit / General Preferences / select the Library tab and change Launch Behavior from Embedded to External.

Then restart Poser.

DAZ is working on a fix.

danboi said:
    I've gone bog-eyed reading through all these posts for the answer I'm looking for :) I'd be interested to know if there any Poser 9 users here that are able to use the DSON importer without the library totally freezing after the Genesis figure imports with DSON?
    Windows 7 using the 32 bit version!

Danny

The work around dosn't work on poser 9 , so unless myself & other sidegrade at a cost of about $250 to poser pro were stuck until they get a fix

Post edited by ludus210-manica_3cb56d3397 on
  • Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:
    They have been changed since then :-). You will have to reset it to see the DSON and Poser Companion files. Hope this helps a little.

I reset my V5 Pro Bundle on Sept 29. Will that have the necessary DSON Files or have they been changed since then?
    Thanks.

Yep it did. Thanks. I'll need to open up a ticket cuz they are still in my downloads from the 29th and I don't think I can reset them again...

Thanks!
    Try downloading one file first. I had that a few months back when DS4 came with an update while I still had the older one in my available downloads. So I downloaded it and surprisingly... it was the new version. :coolsmile:

Love, Jeanne

Hey Jeanne, long time no see. I tried that but alas, didn't show up. Gabi and Tori are still on version 1.0 so I'll need to have the bundle reset again. I wonder if I can do that or if DAZ can do that. Never run into this situation before. LOL

Thanks!!

• yannich_ff4dab420dyannich_ff4dab420d Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

I'm on a MAC . I own Poser 9 SR 3.1 . I created a folder inside my Poser Runtime and named it Genesis . In this folder , I have downloaded
    GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx and GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc . I have downloaded DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Mac32 too . Everything seems to be perfect but when I try to load Genesis or M5 , nothing appears in my work space . I waited about 5 minutes : nothing . I moved the folder to another place : Documents : same problem . What did I do wrong ? Thank you to help me, I tried to resolve the problem since yesterday ...

edited December 1969

Ok cool, I was able to reset it a second time and now have the DSON compatible files. Of course, now I have two sets of the V5 Pro Bundle in my downloads but no worries.
    Thanks!

• NetherworksNetherworks Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

It sounds like it thinks that your main Runtime folder is under Program Files or some other location that is protected by Windows (7, Vista).

You could try and change the "Writable Runtime Folder" under Scripts then DSON Support then Importer Preferences and see if that helps?

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, it's not worked. :(

I added the appropriate runtime folder to the Importer preferences but it still displayed the message on trying to load the genesis figures. I also tried editing the permissions for the folder, and also then running Poser as Administrator - so far no dice.

Any other suggestions? :)

Cheers,

Deedee

Sorry not sure :(

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

So do I understand correctly that if we already have the various updated for DSON items, it's JUST the Poser Compatible and DSON files we need to download (which we also could create ourselves in the latest version of DS if we follow the directions to do so) and we do NOT need to re-download the Files that say "LEGACY"?

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Well, that's no fun!

greyson5 said:
    If you cannot change library categories (from Figures to Pose, Expressions, Hair, Props, Light, Camera, etc.), some of us are able to get around the problem by launching the Library outside the Poser application.

Edit / General Preferences / select the Library tab and change Launch Behavior from Embedded to External.

Then restart Poser.

DAZ is working on a fix.

danboi said:
    I've gone bog-eyed reading through all these posts for the answer I'm looking for :) I'd be interested to know if there any Poser 9 users here that are able to use the DSON importer without the library totally freezing after the Genesis figure imports with DSON?

Danny

The work around dosn't work on poser 9 , so unless myself & other sidegrade at a cost of about $250 to poser pro were stuck until they get a fix

edited December 1969

So do I understand correctly that if we already have the various updated for DSON items, it's JUST the Poser Compatible and DSON files we need to download (which we also could create ourselves in the latest version of DS if we follow the directions to do so) and we do NOT need to re-download the Files that say "LEGACY"?

I would like to know this as well. That would save alot of time if we didn't have to download the legacy files. *crosses fingers*

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited December 1969

I would like to know this as well. That would save alot of time if we didn't have to download the legacy files. *crosses fingers*

You do NOT need the legacy files for DS4.5.
    They are only needed for DS4.
    TD

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The "LEGACY" files are for DS versions previous to 4.5..1.x and are not required for Poser

edited December 1969

Thanks THD777 and BSwan!! That is good news!

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

That's good news on the Legacy files. :)

So...once I've loaded the content, I noticed that I have a bunch of stuff in a Poser runtime and other DS folders outside of that. Poser only looks at that Runtime.

Can I move these Genesis files around in the Poser runtime without breaking anything? In a nutshell, the folders are poorly organized/named and need to be adjusted. I do this all the time with Poser content (excluding geometries, pmds, textures, etc.) but I'm not sure if I can rename a folder of Genesis content without breaking everything.

Help!

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,833
    edited December 1969

Just out of curiosity, but can Poser users now save in the DSON file format with this or is it just an importer ?

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited October 2012

Bejaymac said:
    Just out of curiosity, but can Poser users now save in the DSON file format with this or is it just an importer ?

This tool allows you to use Genesis (and Genesis-Content) inside Poser, you can't save with it in the DSON file format.

Post edited by Sedor on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Yannich said:
    I'm on a MAC . I own Poser 9 SR 3.1 . I created a folder inside my Poser Runtime and named it Genesis . In this folder , I have downloaded
    GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx and GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc . I have downloaded DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Mac32 too . Everything seems to be perfect but when I try to load Genesis or M5 , nothing appears in my work space . I waited about 5 minutes : nothing . I moved the folder to another place : Documents : same problem . What did I do wrong ? Thank you to help me, I tried to resolve the problem since yesterday ...

Did you install the DSON Importer where you have your other python scripts (main program folder usually, I think?)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2012

The group numbers can be changed in the material room, on the SSS node :)

FWIW, I hate the smile emoticon. It looks like I'm sneering or rolling my eyes. LOL

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited December 1969

Thanks THD777 and BSwan!! That is good news!

Ditto - thanks! That saves some downloading.

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

So...once I've loaded the content, I noticed that I have a bunch of stuff in a Poser runtime and other DS folders outside of that. Poser only looks at that Runtime.

Can I move these Genesis files around in the Poser runtime without breaking anything? In a nutshell, the folders are poorly organized/named and need to be adjusted. I do this all the time with Poser content (excluding geometries, pmds, textures, etc.) but I'm not sure if I can rename a folder of Genesis content without breaking everything.

Help!

Anybody know the answer to this? Perhaps an admin? ;-)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Help!

The Data folder must not be moved - it has the geometry and morphs, if it can't be found the content won't load. I'm not sure which, if any, of the other non-Runtime folders are needed - you could always try moving them to a safe place, then loading the content.

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Faerydae said:

Q: Are all Genesis based products compatible with Poser?
    A: No. Genesis products must be created in or converted to DSON Importer compatible file formats. DAZ 3D has already converted dozens of its most popular products into DSON Importer compatible file formats and many more are coming soon. In addition, DAZ Published Artists are currently creating new products in DSON file formats that will also be available soon.

About the "many more are coming soon" ....will all Genesis DO's be converted at some point? Just asking because I'm wondering if I should be grabbing some of the unconverted ones while they're on sale, and then just download the updates when they're converted?

This may have been missed in the sea of questions here, but any of the mods know the answer to this?

edited December 1969

Yannich said:

Putting a content folder, with its own Runtime folder, inside another content folder is likely to cause trouble. Since you are on a Mac you can, if you like, install content to the application folder (though it's still not advised as far as I know), or to a totally separate folder that you have told Poser to use as a library. That may not be the cause of your problem but it does sound as if the needed files aren't being found.

edited December 1969

OK. I have two folders on my external hard drive. One is Poser 9 (where I put everything to work), and the other one is, Poser 9 Content. I use to keep it inside of the Poser 9 folder, but with setting up Genesis in Poser 9, I had to move it on the outside of Poser 9 folder. Now Genesis works for me. My question is: Where do I load my items to? The Poser 9 folder, or the Poser 9 Content folder? Help!!!
    I'm so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The content, both the Core and the Companion files, gets installed to the folder you have listed in your Poser Library panel - I would think that would be Poser 9 Content[/quote

OK. I will try that with one item and see if it works for me. Thanks for the help.

It worked. Now if the http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ethnicity-for-genesis-bundle, actually work in Poser. I re-set my downloads, and it still won't work in Poser 9. The DSON is not in there. Can it be fixed? It says it can be used in Poser. A lot of things say they can be used in Poser for Genesis, so I re-set my downloads, and they don't have the DSON in them yet.

The ethnicity morphs should be added to the list of available morphs the next time you load Genesis from the library - since they are shaping morphs they will appear on the root (the Body of Genesis), under Actor>Head>Female>Real World and Actor>Head>Male>Real World.

• danboidanboi Posts: 10
    edited October 2012

greyson5 said:

Then restart Poser.

DAZ is working on a fix.

danboi said:

Danny

My first theory on this Greyson was that the problem is some kind of conflict between the DSON importer and Adobe Flash. I had Flash problems with the library when I first installed Poser 9. That's why I asked if any Poser 9 users had successfully installed DSON as it would be interesting check like for like with them system differences such as Flash versions etc.

Danny

Post edited by danboi on
    edited December 1969

Faerydae said:
    Faerydae said:

A: No. Genesis products must be created in or converted to DSON Importer compatible file formats. DAZ 3D has already converted dozens of its most popular products into DSON Importer compatible file formats and many more are coming soon. In addition, DAZ Published Artists are currently creating new products in DSON file formats that will also be available soon.

About the "many more are coming soon" ....will all Genesis DO's be converted at some point? Just asking because I'm wondering if I should be grabbing some of the unconverted ones while they're on sale, and then just download the updates when they're converted?

This may have been missed in the sea of questions here, but any of the mods know the answer to this?

As far as I know DAZ plans to update all DAZ Original items. I'm not sure how the work on PA items will be divided. However, some products (those with a lot of material options, for example) will take longer than others, and items that are reliant on the smoothing modifier may need some reworking or may not be amenable to conversion at all.

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Yannich said:

Putting a content folder, with its own Runtime folder, inside another content folder is likely to cause trouble. Since you are on a Mac you can, if you like, install content to the application folder (though it's still not advised as far as I know), or to a totally separate folder that you have told Poser to use as a library. That may not be the cause of your problem but it does sound as if the needed files aren't being found.

What Richard said. Check out the installation guide:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/start

In my installation I ended up installing to three different areas:
    - Genesis Stater Essentials TRX to a DS Content folder.
    - Genesis Starter Essentials Poser to an all-new Runtime folder not located in my regular Poser directory.
    - DSON Importer pointed at my main Poser Installation.

And then make sure to point the Poser library at the first two folders, adding them as extra Runtimes. Poser's got to know where to look to find the files.

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited October 2012

Faerydae said:
    Faerydae said:

I'm not a mod, but I can tell you that the manual DSON conversions are pretty painless (once you get DS4.5.x up and running right -- I had trouble with that bit), just a bit time consuming. If there are any particular DAZ Originals that you've really got your heart set on, it may be worth the effort to convert them over yourself.

Post edited by Mary Williams on
    edited December 1969

Faerydae said:
    Faerydae said:

As far as I know DAZ plans to update all DAZ Original items. I'm not sure how the work on PA items will be divided. However, some products (those with a lot of material options, for example) will take longer than others, and items that are reliant on the smoothing modifier may need some reworking or may not be amenable to conversion at all.

Thank you Richard :)

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    Faerydae said:
    Faerydae said:

I'm not a mod, but I can tell you that the manual DSON conversions are pretty painless (once you get DS4.5.x up and running right -- I had trouble with that bit), just a bit time consuming. If there are any particular DAZ Originals that you've really got your heart set on, it may be worth the effort to convert them over yourself.

Unfortunately, DS does not like me. If I could get it to run correctly believe me I'd be converting already :) Thank you though!

edited December 1969

Help!

The Data folder must not be moved - it has the geometry and morphs, if it can't be found the content won't load. I'm not sure which, if any, of the other non-Runtime folders are needed - you could always try moving them to a safe place, then loading the content.

I also want to know about this. I do not use the typical Poser runtime structure. For example, for James for M5, for my use, the Poser Companion files tjhat are supposed to go under materials and pose would go under

Runtime:Libraries:Characters:!People:Genesis:M5 James (I'd have the morphs and mats in the same folder or in a folder I create below that for them).

In DS, I am using the smart content for any DS4 stuff that comes with it, so I leave those where they are originally, but that's not my process in Poser. Since I have to actually FIND each file in my Poser Runtime, I want it to be somewhere that actually makes sense to me.

The concern is that in the Poser companion Support files, the .dsx file specifically points to the Runtime structure that is in the poser Companion files. But I'm not sure what this file actually does in Poser.

I haven't yet installed the DSON converter so haven't tried this all yet...just my thoughts right now

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Help!

I also want to know about this. I do not use the typical Poser runtime structure. For example, for James for M5, for my use, the Poser Companion files tjhat are supposed to go under materials and pose would go under

Runtime:Libraries:Characters:!People:Genesis:M5 James (I'd have the morphs and mats in the same folder or in a folder I create below that for them).

In DS, I am using the smart content for any DS4 stuff that comes with it, so I leave those where they are originally, but that's not my process in Poser. Since I have to actually FIND each file in my Poser Runtime, I want it to be somewhere that actually makes sense to me.

The concern is that in the Poser companion Support files, the .dsx file specifically points to the Runtime structure that is in the poser Companion files. But I'm not sure what this file actually does in Poser.

I haven't yet installed the DSON converter so haven't tried this all yet...just my thoughts right now

Considering you have a poser file calling python which calls a plugin which reads a duf, I'd keep all those files where they are.

This discussion has been closed.