Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

1303132333436»

Comments

• efron_24efron_24 Posts: 473
    edited October 2012

I have given up on this DSON - Genesis thing.

Ever since the service pack upload SR3.1 my V4's look better in Poser
    and I am able to do almost everything I want with it.

Poser 9 and V4 are perfect for the time being.

And better for my health and mood than all the programming lessons one has to take (in a language that is not mine)
    to get things working... besides the dson shop area still has 103 products (for a couple of days now) and no Shape of a Woman.. which would be the only reason to want Genesis anyway.. for me

Good luck to all.. who still try to make it all work..

Post edited by efron_24 on
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

efron_24 said:

And better for my health and mood than all the programming lessons one has to take (in a language that is not mine)
    to get things working...

Don't know what 'all the programming lessons one has to take' are. I downloaded the 3 installers, ran the 3 installers, started Poser, went to the DAZ People folder in the figure library and loaded Genesis. No programmming lessons required. Genesis loaded just like V4 - except with all mophs already there, no V4-type morph injecting required.

Don't assume everyone has had problems - or even that a significant propotion has. It is the nature of things that the people who have had problems post - because they are after help. While most of the people who don't have problems have no reason to post. It can give a very misleading impression.

and no Shape of a Woman.. which would be the only reason to want Genesis anyway.. for me

Shape of a Woman is a V4 product, not Genesis.

• TaishoBeeTaishoBee Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

I don't post here often, but I have some questions about this.

I use Daz Studio on Windows and then transfer my files to my Mac Poser 2012. The reason I do this is because I can't have both on one computer, and my Mac computer runs faster.

My questions:

Where do I save my converted files? It's confusing because of how many runtimes there are.

How do I know if something needs a Geometry or not? I'm not a native Daz user, I've used Poser since version 4.

I'm trying to make the Genesis Baby's diaper work on Poser, but it always asks me for PMD files I cannot find. How do I fix this? Are they located somewhere?

Should I try using the support asset - morph? If yes, where do I find the saved files?

Hitomi's dress converts but when loaded into Poser, it kind of explodes and looks like a hot air baloon streteched like gum. It is the only item of hers I am having a problem with, everything else for the Day Out set works fine.

Sorry there are so many questions, I have barely used DS!

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I can answer the last question or rather Wim can. He told me this:-

Some clothes have a strange problem
    You can load them OK, but when you conform them, they blow up

In that case, go the Poser Companion route. It is simple. Just go into DS4,
    load a genesis, load the converted cloth, then select genesis and do a Save
    As Wearable. Select the cloth and save. Then go to that saved thing in the
    content library, select it and then right-click on the Content Library tab
    and Select Poser Companion File. A dialog pops up and then BE SURE TO CHECK
    THE CORRECT RUNTIME and save it (Select CR2)
    I put it in bold, because I keep forgetting and can't find it anymore
    If you do this, you can drag the clothing onto the figure and then the
    conform goes fine. It is just the separate conform which blows the cloth up

• TaishoBeeTaishoBee Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    I can answer the last question or rather Wim can. He told me this:-

Some clothes have a strange problem
    You can load them OK, but when you conform them, they blow up

In that case, go the Poser Companion route. It is simple. Just go into DS4,
    load a genesis, load the converted cloth, then select genesis and do a Save
    As Wearable. Select the cloth and save. Then go to that saved thing in the
    content library, select it and then right-click on the Content Library tab
    and Select Poser Companion File. A dialog pops up and then BE SURE TO CHECK
    THE CORRECT RUNTIME and save it (Select CR2)
    I put it in bold, because I keep forgetting and can't find it anymore
    If you do this, you can drag the clothing onto the figure and then the
    conform goes fine. It is just the separate conform which blows the cloth up

Thank you for your reply! I will go and try this. :)

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

If anybody has had problems with PP2012 becoming unresponsive when Genesis is loaded, go into your General Preferences and see if Multi-threaded Bending is checked. If it is, uncheck it. I had it checked and didn't notice much when other figures were loaded as I have a quad core laptop. Since unchecking it I haven't had any issues. (Touch wood!)

CHEERS!

• edited December 1969

has the dson importer been upgraded yet, I'm stuck on library freeze

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

people have got a workaround for the library thing. It isn't a problem on my mac anyway, but I have heard they use maybe the external library instead of embedded. It's in your poser preferences under iibrary I think.
    Love esther

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

TaishoBee said:
    I don't post here often, but I have some questions about this.

I use Daz Studio on Windows and then transfer my files to my Mac Poser 2012. The reason I do this is because I can't have both on one computer, and my Mac computer runs faster.

I'm surprised you can't have both installed - I do, on Windows (and DS2 and DS3 and Poser 8 and PoserPro 2010)

My questions:

Where do I save my converted files? It's confusing because of how many runtimes there are.

To any Runtime you like - as long as Poser hass access to the Runtime used, and as long as the \Data folder with the asset files and the \Runtime\Textures with the images are accessible it should load OK.

How do I know if something needs a Geometry or not? I'm not a native Daz user, I've used Poser since version 4.

Any "thing" has geometry - files in the \Data folder - which will be converted into OBJ files on import. Material settings don't.

I'm trying to make the Genesis Baby's diaper work on Poser, but it always asks me for PMD files I cannot find. How do I fix this? Are they located somewhere?

Should I try using the support asset - morph? If yes, where do I find the saved files?

I don't know the answer to the first part, but on the second no - you use File>Save as>Support Asset>Moprh in DS when saving a new morph (a new mesh manipulation, not a new setting for the existing morphs).

Hitomi's dress converts but when loaded into Poser, it kind of explodes and looks like a hot air baloon streteched like gum. It is the only item of hers I am having a problem with, everything else for the Day Out set works fine.

Sorry there are so many questions, I have barely used DS!

That's a known problem with some content - it happens when not all polygons are assigned to groups that match the Poser bones. DS doesn't care, so it doesn't cause issues, but Poser does need the geometry to belong to a proper group. Items with this issue will need an extra step of updating in order to make them ready for Poser - you can do it yourself with the Polygon Selection Tool in DS, then resaving the item, but unless you need it immediately I would wait for an update.

• edited December 1969

esther said:
    people have got a workaround for the library thing. It isn't a problem on my mac anyway, but I have heard they use maybe the external library instead of embedded. It's in your poser preferences under iibrary I think.
    Love esther

dosn't work on poser 9

• Kath13Kath13 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

greyson5 said:
    esther said:
    Love esther

dosn't work on poser 9

Having the same problem myself (Poser 9). I also bought the 'Men of Character II', installed them into my 'Genesis' folder, along with everything else that I have installed, and I just can't see them anywhere.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Ehm - in DazStudio the Men of character II would be in
    Parameters Tab: "Actor : Head : Male : Real World"
    Shape Tab: "Head : Male : Real World"
    I didn't get to installing the whole fun (for redownloading and general PC cleaning reasons), but shouldn't these morphs show up in Poser somewhere in the parameters tab? Maybe you have to select the head first?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I didn't get to installing the whole fun (for redownloading and general PC cleaning reasons), but shouldn't these morphs show up in Poser somewhere in the parameters tab? Maybe you have to select the head first?

I've selected both head and body and still can't find them anywhere.

• DiggerDigger Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

I bought the Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1 as it was supposed to be dson compatable but there doesnt seem to be any way to use the morphs in poser.

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Is there a possible bug where deleting an invisible conformed to genesis clothing item deletes or disables morphs from genesis?

• perlkperlk Posts: 840
    edited October 2012

I'm having this problem. Whenever I try to load anything in Poser 9, Mac OSX 10.6.8 (32-bit):

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Applications/Poser 9/Downloaded/Runtime/libraries/character/DAZ Genesis Essentials/DAZ People/Basic Female.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

Do the figures need to be in the same directory as the Python script? I have the Python script installed at /Applications/Poser 9/Runtime/Python/

EDIT: I re-installed and got errors while installing; I did ignore on many of them, but it looks like it was mostly installed. Still no love here.

Post edited by perlk on
  • KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited October 2012

Documentation Updates -

We will be spending the next few days clarifying points in the documents that seem confusing. We are going through the threads and finding the areas that need tweaking. :) Give us a couple days, and if we are still missing anything after the weekend, please let me know.

We have also created FAQs for the following:

Installing the DSON Importer for Poser - Troubleshooting and Tips

Using the DSON Importer for Poser - Troubleshooting and Tips

We will be populating these over the next few days as well in order to help with specific points.

Thank you to everyone for your enthusiasm and to those that have spent time helping other users.

Kat

Post edited by Katherine on
    edited December 1969

Documentation Updates -

We will be spending the next few days clarifying points in the documents that seem confusing. We are going through the threads and finding the areas that need tweaking. :) Give us a couple days, and if we are still missing anything after the weekend, please let me know.

We have also created FAQs for the following:

Installing the DSON Importer for Poser - Troubleshooting and Tips

Using the DSON Importer for Poser - Troubleshooting and Tips

We will be populating these over the next few days as well in order to help with specific points.

Thank you to everyone for your enthusiasm and to those that have spent time helping other users.

Kat

Thanks. This is helpful. I think it didn't work because I didn't upgrade to SR3.1 for the Mac. I'll try that first.

edited December 1969

Hint - for those on Mac having problems installing 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc or 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx - they do not run as administrator, and that's why it fails to create directories or set the appropriate permissions.

I had to do this to get it to run without errors (from Terminal):

kara$ sudo ./14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc.app/Contents/MacOS/osx-intel

• edited December 1969

I have Poser 9 & my libraries freeze too. I've read this whole thread & made sure to study the first 40+ pages before I installed, so I'd do things right. I'm hoping DAZ has found a solution to this problem.

edited December 1969

Kath13 said:
    Kerya said:

Thank the lord for happy accidents. I think I have just found my missing morphs. 'Genesis' - Body - then I clicked on 'Head' - 'Male' - 'Real World' in the Parameters and voila, there they were, all the time! :-) What I was doing wrong was clicking on the head in the character and then trying to find them in the parameters. Oh happy days!

edited December 1969

perlk said:
    Hint - for those on Mac having problems installing 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc or 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx - they do not run as administrator, and that's why it fails to create directories or set the appropriate permissions.

I had to do this to get it to run without errors (from Terminal):

kara$ sudo ./14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc.app/Contents/MacOS/osx-intel

perlk - It sounds like you are trying to install the Genesis Starter Essentials into a folder that you do not have "write" permissions to. If this is the case, and Poser doesn't have write permissions to that folder, when running the DSON Importer, it will not be able to write the files it needs and will give you errors. Double check and make sure you install the content into a folder with user write permissions. :) Being forced to install the content as admin says this is probably a folder without these permissions.

Kat

edited October 2012

Kath13 said:
    Kath13 said:
    Kerya said:

Thank the lord for happy accidents. I think I have just found my missing morphs. 'Genesis' - Body - then I clicked on 'Head' - 'Male' - 'Real World' in the Parameters and voila, there they were, all the time! :-) What I was doing wrong was clicking on the head in the character and then trying to find them in the parameters. Oh happy days!

Yes, you have to have the root selected (Genesis>Body) in order to get to the Morph Dials. :) I will make sure we clarify this in the documents.

Kat

edited December 1969

Verjigorm said:
    I bought the Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1 as it was supposed to be dson compatable but there doesnt seem to be any way to use the morphs in poser.

I'm not seeing them either - please make a bug report on this.

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited October 2012

Verjigorm said:

The morphs seem to already to be in the model when you load them, select the whole body and look at the morphs on the control bars!

Post edited by rduda on
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Verjigorm said:

The morphs seem to already to be in the model when you load them, select the whole body and look at the morphs on the control bars!

That's what I was doing - they aren't under the grouping they are in DS, and don't seem to be in any other grouping either.

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Kath13 said:
    Kath13 said:
    Kerya said:

Yes, you have to have the root selected (Genesis>Body) in order to get to the Morph Dials. :) I will make sure we clarify this in the documents.

Kat

Not all morphs will be found there. To find the expressions that came with the evolution morph bundle when it first came out, you have to select the genesis head. There are also some shaping morphs that can be found there that are not found in the body. Of course the reverse is true also, there are morphs found in the body that are not found in the head.

edited October 2012

Shawn said:
    I have Poser 9 & my libraries freeze too. I've read this whole thread & made sure to study the first 40+ pages before I installed, so I'd do things right. I'm hoping DAZ has found a solution to this problem.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9860/

We have updated the DSON Importer for Poser and resolved this issue as well as a couple others.

Kat

This discussion has been closed.