GenX and DSF Toolbox Updates for DS 4.5

Comments

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

andolaurina 2: Yes and no. I still haven't found the time to explore the SSS features of Poser 9 in depth. If I do, I might update the Perfect Skin script or do a new script for SSS.

andolaurina 3: It might be reasonable for DS to consider the integration of auto-fit into the DSON Importer. Otherwise, it would require to completely reinvent the system, which probably isn't worth the effort. You can use the auto-fit feature in DS and export the clothing in DUF format if you want to use it in Poser.

Check out SnarlyGribbly's EZShader2 which is free over at RDNA. It's a good way to get a feel for SSS. I like EZShader2 but your script has even more pieces that I like. I nice hybrid of the two would be lovely. :) I love all your scripts. They are such time savers. I'm not sure there's much left that you have for sale that I don't own!

Before EZShader existed, I worked on my own permutation of SSS for Poser. I have some examples that I can share with you if you'd like. I used them on an upcoming product for TY2 that I have coming out.

• Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

In regards to GenX, could someone help me figure out how to convert a custom made morph (one that doesn't use any dial morphs but just one custom injection channel)? It does do that, right?

I went to a friend's house today to try out GenX and I followed the instructions as best I could but I just couldn't get it to work. I was trying to convert one of my characters (Nicola) which is a custom head morph. I just wanted to see how well the program worked before I bought it myself and started converting all my custom characters. Could someone write some simple instructions just for converting such a morph so I can see how it works for myself? I'm not at my friend's house now but I can go back tomorrow if I get some instructions.

Thank you. :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff 1: I don't know if it is possible to get results for gen 4 shoes that are substantially better than what the auto-fit tool produces. The main problem is that gen 4 people have their feet angled down and Genesis not. The other problem is that (most) shoes have a hard sole, so it would be necessary to detect which polygons are the sole and which not to keep the shape of the sole solid. In short, I think it's not worth the effort trying ...

RAMWolff 2: If SM and DAZ were not able to implement it with their direct access of the technologies for Poser and DAZ Studio, it's most likely impossible with the standard Python interface of Poser.

andolaurina 2: Yes and no. I still haven't found the time to explore the SSS features of Poser 9 in depth. If I do, I might update the Perfect Skin script or do a new script for SSS.

andolaurina 3: It might be reasonable for DS to consider the integration of auto-fit into the DSON Importer. Otherwise, it would require to completely reinvent the system, which probably isn't worth the effort. You can use the auto-fit feature in DS and export the clothing in DUF format if you want to use it in Poser.

JOdel: It should be possible to improve the transfer of long skirts within auto-fit, but again it would it be much more effort to first build something like auto-fit from ground up and then trying to find a better way to transfer some special cases.

Well if you ever get a hankering for a challenge or two let us know about the shoes and the smoothing collision thing for Poser users. Thanks for the reply sir!

edited December 1969

In regards to GenX, could someone help me figure out how to convert a custom made morph (one that doesn't use any dial morphs but just one custom injection channel)? It does do that, right?

I went to a friend's house today to try out GenX and I followed the instructions as best I could but I just couldn't get it to work. I was trying to convert one of my characters (Nicola) which is a custom head morph. I just wanted to see how well the program worked before I bought it myself and started converting all my custom characters. Could someone write some simple instructions just for converting such a morph so I can see how it works for myself? I'm not at my friend's house now but I can go back tomorrow if I get some instructions.

I have a bunch of characters for which I'd like to do the same thing. They are V4 characters that are fully custom morphs. I have the pz2's with deltas and I need to convert them to Genesis.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited October 2012

I have a bunch of characters for which I'd like to do the same thing. They are V4 characters that are fully custom morphs. I have the pz2's with deltas and I need to convert them to Genesis.

Here is how I have done this many times:
    1. Start DS4
    2. Go to the GenX tab
    3. Click load figure and load the base figure you want by navigating to the .cr2 file (V4 for example)
    4. Click "Apply Pose" and load the .pz2 that has the morph injection in it.
    5. All morphs should be listed in the window below, select the ones you want to transfer
    6. Click transfer - done
    7. load genesis and dial the V4 morph (or for which ever base figure you transferred the morphs from). This is important! The morphs are relative to the base shape so you must dial that first to one.
    8. Now locate the new morph in the Generation X section on the parameter tab (under actor).

That should do it. Below is a quick example where I transferred Blackhearted's GND4 body, which is a one dial custom morph, to Genesis using the above method.
    Ciao
    TD

GND4.jpg
    600 x 988 - 103K
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited October 2012

I'll try that. I've got a lot of characters that dragging the poze file into the transfer window does nothing for. I've checked the paths and they are all right. But the character pose doesn't appear to register.

ETA: Nope. Nothing comes in. All the morphs are still at zero value. A couple of checked "Community" morphs show up in the 'BODY' heading, but they are at zero value as well.

The character is a fairly extreme morph, so things certainly ought not to be at Zero. The pz2 file opened in a text editor shows an extensive list of deltas, but still nothing comes into the transfer window and selecting 'Create single morph' brings up a window saying there are no morphs to transfer.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited October 2012

ssgbryan said:
    Is it possible to use the GenX and Gen3 add on pack without using DS4? I would like to move my favorite Gen3 characters over to Genesis, but I really, really don't want to deal with DS4 until it gets some documentation.

GenX is DS4 plugin. It does not run outside of it. However, you do not need to do anything inside DS4 except open the GenX tab and then do the transfer. Once the transfer is done, yo can use the morphs in Poser.
    TD

Post edited by thd777 on
    edited December 1969

thd777 said:

Here is how I have done this many times:
    1. Start DS4
    2. Go to the GenX tab
    3. Click load figure and load the base figure you want by navigating to the .cr2 file (V4 for example)
    4. Click "Apply Pose" and load the .pz2 that has the morph injection in it.
    5. All morphs should be listed in the window below, select the ones you want to transfer
    6. Click transfer - done
    7. load genesis and dial the V4 morph (or for which ever base figure you transferred the morphs from). This is important! The morphs are relative to the base shape so you must dial that first to one.
    8. Now locate the new morph in the Generation X section on the parameter tab (under actor).

That should do it. Below is a quick example where I transferred Blackhearted's GND4 body, which is a one dial custom morph, to Genesis using the above method.
    Ciao
    TD

This is very helpful. Thank you! Now, once you've gotten through Step 8, how do you save it out of DAZ Studio 4 so you can legally redistribute the morph for others to use with Genesis? (meaning, for use by others who use Genesis in DS4.5 as well as Poser DSON users)

Is the best way to save this for redistribution as a pz2 or some other DS file format? I'm not sure how DS4 saves files. In Poser, it involves saving a CR2 and stripping out your custom morph to make a pz2 or using a third-party python script to pull out the morph to make it redistributable.

Also, I assume that if you use GenX to port over a V4 morph that you can only redistribute the delta difference between Genesis+V4 and that you can't embed the V4 morph into your exported Genesis morph, even if you custom-sculpted the morph for V4. Is that right? Am I making sense?

edited October 2012

This is very helpful. Thank you! Now, once you've gotten through Step 8, how do you save it out of DAZ Studio 4 so you can legally redistribute the morph for others to use with Genesis? (meaning, for use by others who use Genesis in DS4.5 as well as Poser DSON users)

Is the best way to save this for redistribution as a pz2 or some other DS file format? I'm not sure how DS4 saves files. In Poser, it involves saving a CR2 and stripping out your custom morph to make a pz2 or using a third-party python script to pull out the morph to make it redistributable.

Also, I assume that if you use GenX to port over a V4 morph that you can only redistribute the delta difference between Genesis+V4 and that you can't embed the V4 morph into your exported Genesis morph, even if you custom-sculpted the morph for V4. Is that right? Am I making sense?

Morphs for Genesis are somewhat differently set up and distributed as those for V4 or other poser figures. They are installed directly into your Genesis setup into the "data" folder rather than added later via an injection. The files that GenX produces for V4 can be found in (if you use a standard path): My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/D3D Gen X/Victoria 4
    They are in the form of .dsf files and you can move them to another computer and put them into the same directory structure and they work. So to redistribute your morph you would just have to package up the directory with your .dsf files made by GenX. GenX does not include the V4 shape into into the morph (that's why you need to dial it up separately) thus as long as the transferred morph is solely your creation, you should be fine. If you want you can also dial up the morph and save a shape file for the user to quickly apply it. However you will still need to have the data folder .dsf files. The shape file just tells DS4 how to set the morphs. If the destination is Poser you would also need to generate the Poser companion files as described in the online manual. I hope I didn't tell you too much that you already knew.
    Ciao
    TD

Post edited by thd777 on
    edited December 1969

That's perfect. I know positively nothing about DS4 other than opening it a few times, loading some stuff and poking around. This was just what I needed. With this, plus the python D3D put together, I think we Poser users now have what we need to give this a go.

Thanks for all your help & details. Very kind of you!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Bear in mind that you cannot distribute morphs brought over with GenX if you didn't create the original morph.

edited December 1969

Yep. That's what I do. Original custom-sculpted morphs.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited October 2012

Yep. That's what I do. Original custom-sculpted morphs.

For what it's worth, I used GenX to transfer over your AA John and AA Michelangelo head morphs, and didn't have any particular difficulty. I used the "Create Single Morph" option for the Actor/Head area, since they're only head morphs, and they appeared in the GenerationX/Michael 4/Head section and functioned as expected.

One thing to note, and I hope I'm not overstepping or stating the obvious: if you want end products that can be used in both Studio and Poser, you'll need to output both DSF or DUF and PZ* files. (I'm guessing that Poser will still prefer PZ files, even when dealing with DSONed Genesis stuff.) Studio doesn't know what to do with PZ files that try to deal with Genesis morphs.

michelangelo-john-02.png
    1187 x 872 - 1M
    Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

That's super-helpful, vwrangler. I was actually assuming that DS would know what to do with a pz2.

(and thanks for getting AA John & Michaelangelo! :-) )

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

andolaurina: Thanks for your offer, but I'm learning best by just trying out something myself.

LizzieP_D9S: There's no real difference between custom morphs and standard morphs when using GenX.

RAMWolff: Maybe the simplest way to use shoes for one figure with a different figure would be to separate left and right and turn them into props.

thd777: Step 3 and 4 can be done also by drag'n'drop from the content library. In step 6, it's important to select the apropriate transfer mode: "selected morphs" to transfer each morph, "create single morph" to merge all selected morphs into one new morph.

JOdel: This may be hidden morphs. Try to enable "show in list > hidden morphs/controllers" from the context menu of the morph list. If anything else fails, you may inject the morphs in Poser or DS into the figure and save it as a new CR2 to load into GenX.

edited December 1969

I may end up having to do that. Because I'm hitting a lot of them with Gen 4 figures. Gen 3 not so much.

edited December 1969

andolaurina: Thanks for your offer, but I'm learning best by just trying out something myself.

Not a problem. I do that a lot myself!

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

So just in case i missed it... has DSF Toolbox been updated at all?

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Jabba101:

Yes, the DSF Toolbox has been updated.

Reset your purchase (or purchase), and download.

D3D added a couple of things to help with changes in DS 4.5.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

cheers ;)

edited October 2012

Are there any Tutorials on porting things over the hard way, through the .cr2 export. I've got a number of ongoing characters that I'm going to have to bring over that way.

ETA: Well that turned out to be fairly easy. And I'm not sure but what it doesn't do a better job than the standard procedure.

However; I've still got things that refuse to come in, any way, any how. Even the loaded .cr2 gives me the 'no morphs to be transfered' message. Since it is not what anyone could call a subtle morph, I'm fairly flummoxed. WHat does one do in such a case?

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited December 1969

In any case (not only if there is an error message), it's not a bad idea to have a short look at the morph list to see what morphs are set to what value. If something looks wrong, you can compare it to the morphs that are active when loading the figure in DS. (Hint: In DS, you see all active morphs in the "Currently Used" section of the Shaping and Parameter tabs. In GenX, you can click on the value column header to sort morphs by value, where positive values will be on top and negatives on bottom.)

If some morphs are not listed, this may be due to the settings. For simplicity, the morph list in GenX only shows those morphs that are used directly in most common cases. From the context menu of the morph list, you can change this to also include hidden morphs, empty morphs, or controlled morphs.

edited December 1969

Sounds like code. I don't read code. But checking the morph list sounds like a good place to start. It probably is unlisted morphs. Since ghod knows there have to *be* morphs in there.

edited December 1969

Well, no joy there. I opened the .pz2 file in a text editor and if has something like:

actor hip
    {
    channels
    {
    targetGeom PBMCC_10
    {
    name WWW_Body
    hidden 0
    keys
    {
    static 0
    k 0 1
    }
    valueOpDeltaAdd
    Figure
    BODY
    PBMCC_10
    deltaAddDelta 1.000
    indexes 1279
    numbDeltas 1279
    deltas
    {
    d 0 -0.00185 0.00011 -0.00287
    d 1 -0.00184 -0.00029 -0.00203
    d 2 -0.00235 -0.00067 -0.00200
    d 3 -0.00141 0.00055 -0.00301
    d 4 -0.00136 -0.00009 -0.00238
    d 5 -0.00139 0.00111 -0.00345
    d 6 -0.00105 0.00079 -0.00323
    d 7 -0.00132 0.00111 -0.00356
    d 8 -0.00045 0.00065 -0.00242
    d 9 -0.00094 0.00029 -0.00312
    d 10 -0.00045 0.00016 -0.00246
    d 11 -0.00083 -0.00033 -0.00317
    d 12 -0.00013 0.00087 -0.00184
    d 13 0.00174 0.00313 -0.00072
    d 14 0.00157 0.00320 -0.00067
    d 15 0.00145 0.00284 -0.00061
    d 16 0.00159 0.00366 -0.00058
    d 17 0.00162 0.00274 -0.00062
    d 18 0.00175 0.00267 -0.00061
    d 19 0.00137 0.00422 -0.00025
    d 20 0.00111 0.00431 -0.00019
    d 21 0.00115 0.00388 -0.00043
    d 22 0.00106 0.00467 0.00016
    d 23 0.00142 0.00373 -0.00054
    d 24 0.00093 0.00466 0.00070
    d 25 0.00102 0.00482 0.00052

And then goes on in that mode for pages and pages, occasionally flagging different parts of the body. None of which means zip to me. Then I re-loaded one of the morphs onto V4 and hit the 'currently used' command in the parameters tab. The sliders are all over the place, but the entries are all 0.00 or conversely, 100%, which is obviously not true because the indicatiors are in the wrong places for that. I do have the 'show hidden properties' selected, but it isn't showing the real numbers.

edited December 1969

I copied and pasted your code and added the necessary lines to make it a valid morph injection pose. Then, I loaded Victoria 4.2 in GenX and applied this pose. The morph shows in GenX with value 1 and it was no problem to transfer it. So it should work without requiring any tricks.

Please use the context menu from the morph list and ensure that "All controlled morphs" is selected for "Show in list". Otherwise, the morphs in the single actors are not listed and hence can't be selected for transfer, even if they were injected successfully and have value 1. (Usually, the morphs in the actors are 0 because the BODY dial sets the value for them together. That's why the default option "Multi-Controlled Morphs only" hides them in the morph list.)

edited October 2012

Where does one find this 'All controlled morphs' direction? The one on the right is the fly-out from the morphs listing in the Parameters tab. The one on the left is the morphs listing in GenX. The GenX list is only Genesis morphs. The other, when I have V4 with the morph applied and 'Currently Used' selected shows a different list, but just about everything claims to be at 100% and the fly-out is the same. No 'All Controlled Morphs' entry that I can see.

Screen_shot_2012-10-30_at_2.14_.41_PM_.png
    363 x 485 - 30K
    Screen_shot_2012-10-30_at_2.10_.49_PM_.png
    302 x 579 - 50K
    Post edited by JOdel on
    edited December 1969

The morph list in the Transfer tab of GenX has its own context menu that opens when you right click in this list.

genx_context.jpg
    512 x 413 - 61K
    edited December 1969

Aha. Will try that.

edited December 1969

Yup! That did it. Thank you!

I'm sure that I'm going to be stumbling across all sorts of other glitchy stuff as I keep trying to port these figures over, but this is certainly going to get me a long way forwarder.

There is one thing, that I'd like to see in some future version (although what I think is the problem may be way off target). I've been tripping over a lot of body morphs for Gen3 figures that mess with the head as well. Which means that you can't apply the Head morph if you've got the body morph applied because it overdoes it and causes distortions.

When the body morph is dragged into the transfer window there is an entry for the head, and for the eyes. I should think that if those could be deleted before doing the transfer, that might fix the issue. But, of course I do not know for sure. In any case, there appears to be no way to delete anything in the list once it's in the transfer window. Which may be just as well, but means that there doesn't appear to be any way to make the body morph dial leave the head alone.