My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread

Comments

• SerpentSerpent Posts: 4,075

The only real value of having a degree is getting past the "You gotta have a degree" hurdle put up by hiring managers.

I don't have one (you probably guessed), but I can still do the job as well or better than any of those other SOBs . . .

The thing that irks me is that I don't even get a chance to kic butt! angryI suspect they're just looking for some chea throwaway employee, le sigh.  And it's not like I can easily go back to school at 57.. if I had the cash, I would!!!  Probably get a EE instead of a CS, though.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh angry

• SerpentSerpent Posts: 4,075

The only real value of having a degree is getting past the "You gotta have a degree" hurdle put up by hiring managers.

I don't have one (you probably guessed), but I can still do the job as well or better than any of those other SOBs . . .

While I agree as an employee, I would disagree as an employer.  Certainly experience accounts for something but in this modern rapidly changing arena, experience is always with past technology and techniques.  As an individual, the quantity of accumulated experience is limited.  On the other hand, a prospective employee with a degree has probably been exposed to new ideas and new techniques distilled from many minds.  Ideas that many not have been possible or practical only a few years ago.  Also a degree shows some level of committment, whereas a long list of past employers on a resume' might indicate an inability to play well with others. (never mind the possibility that the "others" may have been moronic children.  Something that the employer wouldn't know and doesn't want to know.)

A degree indicates exposure to knowlege in a structured way.  Knowlege boiled down and crystalized for easy ingestion.  Often, specific knowlege is only a small fragment of an entire spectrum of related information.  The whole may indeed be greater than the sum of the parts.  Understanding Elm trees doesn't mean one understands the forest.

Of course, degreed people can also be boobs.   For example one's lawyer in a divorce case, or the doctor that just took out your liver instead of your appendix.

Experienced people sometimes bring with them tattered baggage that is not only old but incompatible with modern production needs.

A positive thing that many experienced people do bring with them is a level of learned quality not even envisioned by newbies.  However, unless the employer recognizes the need for the quality, sees it in the prospective employee, and is willing to pay for it in time and money, the scales will often tip toward the degree.

Believe me, I've been on the short end of this stick and have had a great deal to say about stubborn, non-visionary employers.  But this is no longer my world.  I caught the wave in the '70s and rode it for three decades, then I floundered in the white water for another before washing up on the beach sunburned.  So I do understand.  But life is not only about achieving stablity, but also about managing change.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I learned Perl in 2 weeks for a job.  I am teaching myself Javascript and Python.  I study CS tech every day, I've learned 3 new microchip architectures in the past 2 years.  I own - and study, and implenent - every new design pattern book published in the past 5 years.

Don't give mt this old and no degree means stuck in the mud of the past".  That's the biggest raft of elitist BS I've heard in a decde.

Go stereotype someone else.  Is there a way on this forum to ignore individual wastes of valuable bandwidth?

I don't know why I should bother spending time on someone who obviously has a priori made up their mind how things are.

Guess I'll be all infantile and take my ball and go home.  Now I've composed and sold an album, I'm off to write and sell a novel.

What will YOU do with your life?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686

Hmmm so sleepy but it is a rainy day sleepiness 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Hmmm so sleepy but it is a rainy day sleepiness 

rainy day sleepiness is a nice nap  smiley

it's 65% humidity in my office. tropicals. 

sippssing a nice sugarless pellegrino, with the bubbles  lol 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Serpent said:

TL;DR cheeky

I get involved in Real Life(tm) and suddenly.. THERE'S A DRAGON IN A BOX! surprisedevil

Updates: Job prospects dm, they're hiring about 100 testers in Austin and so far I've been either over or under qualified since I have no "official" QA background.  Meh.  Looking as far afield as perm jobs in NYC, Auburn Hills MI, and San Diego, CA.  I just want to settle down, work 10-12 years, and retire into a room in a nice shared house to write the rest of my life!  I always have Plan B, though.

Going to sell my big laptop and buy a smaller machine and focus on my writing.  Having recorded and sold a full album of music, it's time to move to the next item - writing and selling a novel!  I don't need a gaming laptop to run my writing software.. lol!  I have 28,000 words done, if I can focus on it, there's a good chance I can finish the darn thing to close to 50,000 before I run out of food money and burn down an IRS office.  I figure if I'm going to end up in jail, I can do a public service on my way out! devil

Not much else going on.. I apply for 2-3 jobs a dayy, except on Saturdays when it's pretty much dead.  I actually get job alert on Sunday so I stay ahead of everyone else.  I doctored my resume to remove some of my real old work to see if LESS experience will help get me hired, updated all my job boards - let's see how that works out.  Ageism, as KK has experiened,is a real thing.

I'll still drop in off and on just to pester folks.. if I stop posting check for my name in the paper! devilangry

Nice to "see" you again!  I was wondering what happened.

Dana

Rezca said:

One of the Subnautica developers just posted this in their forum...

laugh  laugh  laugh 

Dana

MistyMist said:
    Tjohn said:

DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

I needed a retro prop for a render,couldn't find one, so I had to make it. Really out of practice.. Did not steal a single pixel, tho. smiley

Good job!

Dana

Thanks! blush

I got some of that suntan lotion but they changed their logo so the girl is wearing a full swimsuit.

Political correctness rears its head once again!

Dana

Complaint:  It says at the top of the page - Let us gift you some FREE Daz Originals.  Then it says I get a discount of $4 off DO's.  Well, how is that a free DO?  The cheapest one is $6.35, and there are only three of these then it goes up about a dollar for a couple more then up another dollar.  Free Daz Originals...plural.  Can't even get one free for $4!

Dana

DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:
    Tjohn said:

DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

I needed a retro prop for a render,couldn't find one, so I had to make it. Really out of practice.. Did not steal a single pixel, tho. smiley

Good job!

Dana

Thanks! blush

I got some of that suntan lotion but they changed their logo so the girl is wearing a full swimsuit.

Political correctness rears its head once again!

Dana

remember the Breck girls?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

I remember. Also this Mad parody (Frank Frazetta).

Tjohn said:

I remember. Also this Mad parody (Frank Frazetta).

blech reminds of caveman 

tee hee

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited June 2016
    Serpent said:

While I agree as an employee, I would disagree as an employer.  Certainly experience accounts for something but in this modern rapidly changing arena, experience is always with past technology and techniques.  As an individual, the quantity of accumulated experience is limited.  On the other hand, a prospective employee with a degree has probably been exposed to new ideas and new techniques distilled from many minds.  Ideas that many not have been possible or practical only a few years ago.  Also a degree shows some level of committment, whereas a long list of past employers on a resume' might indicate an inability to play well with others. (never mind the possibility that the "others" may have been moronic children.  Something that the employer wouldn't know and doesn't want to know.)

A degree indicates exposure to knowlege in a structured way.  Knowlege boiled down and crystalized for easy ingestion.  Often, specific knowlege is only a small fragment of an entire spectrum of related information.  The whole may indeed be greater than the sum of the parts.  Understanding Elm trees doesn't mean one understands the forest.

Of course, degreed people can also be boobs.   For example one's lawyer in a divorce case, or the doctor that just took out your liver instead of your appendix.

Experienced people sometimes bring with them tattered baggage that is not only old but incompatible with modern production needs.

A positive thing that many experienced people do bring with them is a level of learned quality not even envisioned by newbies.  However, unless the employer recognizes the need for the quality, sees it in the prospective employee, and is willing to pay for it in time and money, the scales will often tip toward the degree.

Believe me, I've been on the short end of this stick and have had a great deal to say about stubborn, non-visionary employers.  But this is no longer my world.  I caught the wave in the '70s and rode it for three decades, then I floundered in the white water for another before washing up on the beach sunburned.  So I do understand.  But life is not only about achieving stablity, but also about managing change.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I learned Perl in 2 weeks for a job.  I am teaching myself Javascript and Python.  I study CS tech every day, I've learned 3 new microchip architectures in the past 2 years.  I own - and study, and implenent - every new design pattern book published in the past 5 years.

Don't give mt this old and no degree means stuck in the mud of the past".  That's the biggest raft of elitist BS I've heard in a decde.

Go stereotype someone else.  Is there a way on this forum to ignore individual wastes of valuable bandwidth?

I don't know why I should bother spending time on someone who obviously has a priori made up their mind how things are.

Guess I'll be all infantile and take my ball and go home.  Now I've composed and sold an album, I'm off to write and sell a novel.

What will YOU do with your life?

I am surprised that you decided to be offended.  I simply pointed out the way that many employers look at the situation.  I never said old is necessarily bad, but it can be, and employers often run into it.  I even pointed out positives of experience vs degree.  The intent was not to insult, but to show why employers sometimes prioritize the way they do.  And the comments were not for your eyes alone.  There are people out there who are wondering whether a degree is worthwhile.  I say it is.  But I also say that there is also more to success than a piece of paper.

I also went through my time of learning new and newer and newest.  It was tough but I enjoyed it. However,forty five years was enough for me for one career.  Congratulations to you for continuing to produce.

As for what I'm doing with my life now?  I'm retired and I'm living it happily without significant stress,  I'm doing what I want to do instead of what others want me to do.   I'm studying things other than technology, that now interest me.  For the first time in my adult life I'm actually debt free.  Not rich, but stable.  I'm, relaxed and not depressed. 

Why you considered my comments elitist confuses the heck out of me.  I had no degree in computer science.  I learned everything I knew about computers by myself.  Regardless, my whole career was computer related.  I admit that I'm opinionated and I have a big mouth.  But if those are my greatest flaws I can live with that.

If you have indeed, as you say, gone infantile and gone home with your ball and found a way to ignore my bandwidth I guess you won't read this.  That's a shame, I've never disliked you and have admired your talents. 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited June 2016

Worst infestation of finger monkeys I 've ever seen. o_O

Post edited by TJohn on
    Tjohn said:

Worst infestation of finger monkeys I 've ever seen. o_O

clingier than ewoks

koala bear on sale  

tortures  really need the trees with the koala, cart 30 bucks already, >.<  dunno

edited June 2016

winged koalas  vs  winged monkeys.

dragons drop bigger droppings than pigeons.  statues be completely buried in dragon poo

need dragon no-fly zones.  keep off the grass?

reading about the cathars. so far makes no sense

Post edited by Mistara on

didnt make it to work today.  feeling iffy already, thinking of the 70% humidity sweat box office, was like, no way today >.<

drear grey sky.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

My first memories of being in an automobile were as a baby (under 2) in the back seat of a 1948 Hudson (as it was described to me years later).  I also remember being laid on the "back shelf" under the rear window of the car.  These days they'd put the parents away for child endangerment.  But in those days the back shelf was wide, and the back of the rear seat bench rose above the back shelf creating a shallow well or cradle.  Although I suppose if we had a collision or a fast stop I'd have bounced over the lip of the back seat top and down onto the back seat or back floor or even into the front seat or windshield.  But I didn't worry about those things back then. frown (and apparently neither did my parents!)

I remember riding in the package area behind the back seat of a 1953 Volkswagon. I can still feel that scratchy fabric. When my older brother fell asleep back there, my father would gently pick him up and carry him inside. When I fell asleep, he would wake me up. I knew where I stood from an early age.

cabin fever  lol.  lotto - bring it home

• >.<

...AIR QUALITY ALERT IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM WEDNESDAY TO 11 PM WEDNESDAY...

THE NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION HAS
    ISSUED AN AIR QUALITY HEALTH ADVISORY FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

NASSAU AND SUFFOLK.

AIR QUALITY LEVELS IN OUTDOOR AIR ARE PREDICTED TO BE GREATER THAN AN
    AIR QUALITY INDEX VALUE OF 100 FOR THE POLLUTANT OF OZONE. THE AIR
    QUALITY INDEX...OR AQI...WAS CREATED AS AN EASY WAY TO CORRELATE
    LEVELS OF DIFFERENT POLLUTANTS TO ONE SCALE. THE HIGHER THE AQI VALUE,
    THE GREATER THE HEALTH CONCERN.

WHEN POLLUTION LEVELS ARE ELEVATED...THE NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF
    HEALTH RECOMMENDS THAT INDIVIDUALS CONSIDER LIMITING STRENUOUS OUTDOOR
    PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS. PEOPLE
    WHO MAY BE ESPECIALLY SENSITIVE TO THE EFFECTS OF ELEVATED LEVELS OF
    POLLUTANTS INCLUDE THE VERY YOUNG, AND THOSE WITH PRE-EXISTING RESPIRATORY
    PROBLEMS SUCH AS ASTHMA OR HEART DISEASE. THOSE WITH SYMPTOMS SHOULD CONSIDER
    CONSULTING THEIR PERSONAL PHYSICIAN.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  Now that I'm 74, maybe I should grow up and be a lady.  Naw, it's too much fun just as I am, climbing trees, surveying the neighborhood from my roof, chasing 

sirens and flashing lights (don't have to chase far since they're usually in front of my house), playing pirates and tackle football in the front yard, and sitting on the floor playing board 

games and Legos with my grandsons.

No global warming here.  Yesterday our RealFeel temp hit 115.  Then a brief rain shower hit and the temp fell 30 degrees in 30 minutes.  Texas!

Yesterday my housemate made his famous beans for supper.  They simmered in the crockpot all day, the odor driving me crazy.  Well worth the wait.  Delicious.  The beans weren't cooked to a mush 

and the flavor was superb.  If he doesn't land a tech job soon, I may hire him out as a travelling chef.

beans good for the heart !

packet of fresh gnocchi, dunno know what to mix in it.  boils in water 

edited June 2016

Waves at Anne.

Post edited by TJohn on

I recently got a character for g3m and started playing with him but everything was great until I opened his mouth.   His teeth were black.  Wtf is with black teeth.  They even rendered black.

I recently got a character for g3m and started playing with him but everything was great until I opened his mouth.   His teeth were black.  Wtf is with black teeth.  They even rendered black.

Which character?

Too much smoking?

Dana

Tjohn said:

Which character?

SY The blue ones Genesis 3 male.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Gorgeous deep pinks and blues in the Eastern sky as the sun comes up in the teeth of another storm :)

This discussion has been closed.