formerly male content creation thread

Comments

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322

Thank you ... I'll certainly look for all those dials then.

I could be way off base but I seem to recall that there was something somewhere "once upon a time" about creating a new morph to be the controller morph for a bunch of others for situations like that in your picture 2.

Whoa, I need to find that thread that's exactly what I've been trying to figure out.

I just realized I only have G3Ms basic wear from starter essentials.  I should probably buy a few M7/G3M outfits from the shop too, I suppose there  is a chance this may happen in more extreme poses in general.  I doubt it, but it's worth checking out. 

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

Thank you ... I'll certainly look for all those dials then.

I could be way off base but I seem to recall that there was something somewhere "once upon a time" about creating a new morph to be the controller morph for a bunch of others for situations like that in your picture 2.

Whoa, I need to find that thread that's exactly what I've been trying to figure out.

I just realized I only have G3Ms basic wear from starter essentials.  I should probably buy a few M7/G3M outfits from the shop too, I suppose there  is a chance this may happen in more extreme poses in general.  I doubt it, but it's worth checking out. 

As I recall it was not a complete "how to" and the best informed person contributing was of course Richard ... maybe he'll come by here too sometime ;-)

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

I'm assuming Sickleyield's tutorial for G3M rigging on the first page or so doesn't help with this.

I really salute you people; I have zero patience when it comes to rigging and find it the most tiresome thing in the world.

tbh - I don't know yet ... so far I've been avoiding anything to do with the weight map brushes ... TU I like fine ... click, click and done. Then I usually make some morphs. I realize that many do prefer "handles" on skirts but after so much hassle trying to find out/figure out how to legacy rig V4 etc for skirts and the like only to get basically dead ends ... the forums have greatly improved for sharing such information ... figured it was a no-possible scenario to have the skirt moving nicely like I wanted it to in a scene. Now it does!

And because of the frustrations with regards to trying to find information some years back for legacy rigging I do tend to share links to helpful resources I'm aware of because golly gee, sometime after they were off the market THEN I found out that there were merchant tools for creating all kinds of morphs etc for legacy clothing ... so guess I saved a lot of money since I didn't know about them ... now have D/S which can rig very well and I'm a happy camper :-)

Okay ... made some pants, got them looking okay [from my skill level anyways] on Genesis through to G3F. Then came G3M. Ouch.

If wanting to quickly get a pair of pants from F to M for one distance shot or some such, first pose G3M, then load and auto-fit the pants. Seems to arrange itself better that way.

Initially one might get a model from G3F or G2M to G3M either by auto-fit or via the Cross Figure ... then take that mesh into the modeler and fix it. Not by morphing first but it needs some more tessellation to "anchor" the area. Strategically placed border lines help frame the area to stay put better. In today's work I placed 4 "anchors" which helped alot but the end result is not yet finished, might need a few more or some morphs or joint morph adjustments. Thing is I do not own "all" the morphs for G3M so figured it's best to solve of this area issue without involving other morphs. I did find that one morph I had made for G3M, for some inexplicable reason was wrapped up into a negative value in another clothing item [of the basic wear set for G3M] making a mess out of that. Solution was simple, removed my morph.

So anyhow, for what's it's worth, if it helps, great, if not, well ... pants on Genesis and G2M AND G3F's clone/morph shape for G3M look fine.

003.png
    1205 x 505 - 101K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2016

Wow, I have missed qute a bit.  For some reason I was not getting notified of new posts.  Stopped in because with Snowmeggadon '16 approaching my neck of the woods I thought I would have time this weekend to work on some 3D projects.  As long as my power doesn't go out, I hope to post some updates soon.

Great work, folks.  Sorry I have not been around to encourage you. 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited February 2016

Will get back to G2M and G3M projects soon enough.  Instead, I was working on a fur trapper character that is not for G2M or G3M.  It still counts as male content creation so I will post it anyway.

- Examples of elements that I think are going reasonably well

* the leather fringe on the sleeves of the jacket drapes well when the arm poses.  I didn't like the mantle fringe on the chest so I deleted it.

* the beard is looking OK but needs some variation in length and density.

* replacing the ball at the end of the hat with a tassle is an improvement IMHO, but needs to have the textures redone.

- Example of items that need a lot more work

* the bending zones of the pants need to be remapped near the top of the thighs

* the gloves look all spindly

* the flintlock rifle mechanism is only half done, and of course the size of the rifle is wrong.

One way or another, this fur trapper project must be complete this week, so I can return to giving G2m and G3M a makeover soon.

Stay motivated, everyone!

french wip with hair.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
    fur trapper rigged 1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 28K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    diomede said:

Will get back to G2M and G3M projects soon enough.  Instead, I was working on a fur trapper character that is not for G2M or G3M.  It still counts as male content creation so I will post it anyway.

- Examples of elements that I think are going reasonably well
       * the leather fringe on the sleeves of the jacket drapes well when the arm poses.  I didn't like the mantle fringe on the chest so I deleted it.
       * the beard is looking OK but needs some variation in length and density.
       * replacing the ball at the end of the hat with a tassle is an improvement IMHO, but needs to have the textures redone.
    - Example of items that need a lot more work
       * the bending zones of the pants need to be remapped near the top of the thighs
       * the gloves look all spindly
       * the flintlock rifle mechanism is only half done, and of course the size of the rifle is wrong.

One way or another, this fur trapper project must be complete this week, so I can return to giving G2m and G3M a makeover soon.

Stay motivated, everyone!

Size of rifle is fine... character is too small. :)

Just wanted to pop in an say hi and thanks for all the helpful info and links... I'm still only on page 1 reading SickleYield's tutorial... too busy making objects that are not clothing at the moment. Last night made a fairly simple barrel but added texture zones and a few complex shaders for a few... so it turned out rather nice.

edited June 2016

Ideas and Questions:  first the few ideas that might be easy to create.

I'm wanting to start out real simple, not having designed clothing before. Below are a few of what I believe and might be simple to make.

• Accessories... Rings, either for toe or ear, simple studs for ear, more complicated earrings, necklace.
    • Clothing... Boxer shorts, loose fitting, then onto more complex clothing like a shirt/pants that a farm worker might wear, be it M/F. Note that I've neither created anything for a figure.

Questions:

• Can't I create everything with Carrara? I have Hexagon and Blender but would need to learn at least one.
    • How should I import a figure into Carrara in order to design the clothing/accessories? Should I export from DS as Carrara or Hexagon or what?
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

My understanding is that Carrara has a built in modeling environment so if you are starting from scratch, you might want to look into that as well.  You should check out the Carrara Forum as most of the people familiar with Carrara who can answer those questions hang out there. While I have Carrara, I haven't actually used it much and don't know the first thing about modeling inside it.  I'm currently using Hexagon and trying to learn Blender for modeling.  Hexagon is a little easier to understand.  I simply export my models as .obj for use in Hexagon and Blender.  I'm not sure what the best way of sending a model from DS, Hexagon or Blender to Carrara would be.

Doesn't Carrara just open Genesis 1 and 2 figures natively with no need to import?

I think the figures do which is all you need for the modeling part.  I think the main difficulty in transferring from DS to Carrara lie in the shaders.  But again, I'm not well versed in Carrara.  I haven't actually managed to do anything in it yet.

If you're doing it to make clothing though who cares about the shaders? I don't even bother setting up the material zones when I export dummy models to Blender to model clothing on them. So long as the clothing has material zones and probably UV maps designated you set up all the shaders in DS for the final thing anyway if that's the program you want the item for (that's what I do anyway?)

I stumbled across this video on Basic dress modeling in Carrara which seems to be fairly good.  Also found that content can be designed in probably any 3D program that you choose. Knowing how to use Carrara fairly good would make it my choice.

lx said:

Doesn't Carrara just open Genesis 1 and 2 figures natively with no need to import?

Yes of course. Genesis 3 not being supported yet would need to have only the mesh .obj exported since Carrara will crash. Actually I believe it would be easier to only support the mesh .objs for any figure since it would require lower overhead... why load all the textures etc, when you only need the figure's mesh itself to design around.

I think the figures do which is all you need for the modeling part.  I think the main difficulty in transferring from DS to Carrara lie in the shaders.  But again, I'm not well versed in Carrara.  I haven't actually managed to do anything in it yet.

Exactly. I want to be sure to export from DS as the correct option. I exported the other day as Carrara units which are different than DS or Hexagon.

lx said:

If you're doing it to make clothing though who cares about the shaders? I don't even bother setting up the material zones when I export dummy models to Blender to model clothing on them. So long as the clothing has material zones and probably UV maps designated you set up all the shaders in DS for the final thing anyway if that's the program you want the item for (that's what I do anyway?)

Yes... yes. I can set material zones for shaders in Carrara as well as UV maps so that they exist and are ready to be filled in after importing the clothing/accessories into DS.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong anywhere... as I said earlier I'm just wanting to get a simple start and move on from there.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

When I made my four armed shirt I think I just converted a base figure to a prop and exported it. Simple, no fuss.

I've been working on a couple of outfits in Hexagon.  I still haven't figured out Blender, but I have a project in there, too.  I have one garment completed in Hexagon and another almost finished.  I'm curious as to when I do the morphs for the other body types.  Right now, I just have it fitted to the Genesis 2 Male basic body.  Do I go ahead and send it to DS and rig it first or do I do add the morphs for the other body types first before it's rigged and just an imported prop?  Or does it not matter?  I'm not sure if the order matters, but I thought I would ask as I was a little confused about when in the process the morphs get added to the garment.  I'm thinking it sort of makes sense to rig it first and then add the morphs after it's rigged rather than when it's just a prop, but I'm not completely sure about that.  

I'd like to get this into DS soon so I can play with it and see how it looks rendered.  I, also, still need to think about posing morphs which I have, actually, done in a limited manner with outfits I've purchased so I'm not quite as in the dark about how to do those.  I have to be honest, the taking it into DS and trying to rig it scares me a little and I'm hoping it is less scary once I get in there and actually do it.

I've been working on a couple of outfits in Hexagon.  I still haven't figured out Blender, but I have a project in there, too.  I have one garment completed in Hexagon and another almost finished.  I'm curious as to when I do the morphs for the other body types.  Right now, I just have it fitted to the Genesis 2 Male basic body.  Do I go ahead and send it to DS and rig it first or do I do add the morphs for the other body types first before it's rigged and just an imported prop?  Or does it not matter?  I'm not sure if the order matters, but I thought I would ask as I was a little confused about when in the process the morphs get added to the garment.  I'm thinking it sort of makes sense to rig it first and then add the morphs after it's rigged rather than when it's just a prop, but I'm not completely sure about that.  

I'd like to get this into DS soon so I can play with it and see how it looks rendered.  I, also, still need to think about posing morphs which I have, actually, done in a limited manner with outfits I've purchased so I'm not quite as in the dark about how to do those.  I have to be honest, the taking it into DS and trying to rig it scares me a little and I'm hoping it is less scary once I get in there and actually do it.

I found the adding morphs bit the most confusing and intimidating part of the process which put me off making conforming clothing too. There were some nice tutorials early on in the thread but I still felt like I was just trying random things with my eyes closed. I don't think the order really matters since you keep your original model in the other program anyway. 

Two things I found help me get used to Blender were a. there's an option somewhere in settings to switch left and right mouse (so that left becomes 'select' that did a world of good for me, and b. in the end I learned how to rebind controls and just set all my rotate/pan controls to what I used in other programs. That made it much less disorientating when I was constantly switching between apps.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try the mouse button thing.  I'll look into the other, too.  Not that I have much experience with other programs to need to Blender emulate their controls, but it is nice to know I can change something if I need to do that.

It was a bit of trial and error as I had no idea what I was doing, but morphs for clothing so they fit better or so I could move a skirt with a pose because the original skirt didn't do extreme pose morphs were the first things I learned how to do when it came to morphing.  I don't do it quite as much now that I have a lot of Zev0's Fit Control products, but before that I was finding I had to use morphing for poke-thrus and stuff all the time.  I still have to go in occassionally for fitting clothes better with certain poses, but a lot of vendors have added more morphs for those types of things with some of the newer products.

It does take some time to figure out how to do, but you can rebind EVERYTHING in Blender, which saved me a lot of time once I had it all set up just the way I liked it. I haven't done much modelling for awhile but seeing this thread pop alive again has made me kind of inspired to make something ... no idea what yet~

Most of the clothing I've made was for static poses i.e. one off renders so I didn't bother doing any of the fitting or adjustment parts. I find the Studio parts way more confusing than modelling or even doing UVs :(

When I have a little time I want to sit with Hexagon and poke at it to get used to it, then try some clothes with an eye toward dynamicalizing them.

Rigging and whatnot is a huge amount of trouble, and while dynamic isn't EASY... it's a more straightforward amount of work (and I'm starting to get the hang of it).

If it was just me, for my personal wardrobe, yeah, I'd go that route, too.  However, if someone were to make an outfit that was going to be released as a freebie then rigging would need to be done.  And, in my clothing tests I plan to do, looking into just using the dynamics is one thing I'll look into because, for just my personal use, I would think that would be the quickest and easiest thing to do.  I have an gymnastic uniform in the works because I wanted to do some renders with the Gymnastics Equipment, but there aren't any gymnastics gear for the guys out there.  Once I'm done with it, I'll probably aggressively use dynamics for my renders because I plan to use some extreme poses and I think that will work better than rigging.  I could be wrong, but I won't know until I try it.  I've already searched out reference pics for the pieces I need and I'll be working on that over the next few days.  It's fairly simple so it shouldn't take long before I have it in DS to try out in a render.

Wait what? You can make a clothing as an obj and then import it into Studio and make it dynamic?

With Dyncreator script, yes (product on Renderosity)

Ohh right, thanks.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

For this reason alone,  it's worth getting deeper into what Daz can do.  It doesn't look like it's going to happen any other way.

edited June 2016

With Dyncreator script, yes (product on Renderosity)

Have you taken a look at VWD by VirturalWorldDynamics same place and I've heard there is or is going to be a version for DS. It is for Poser but there is also a plugin being created for Carrara by Philemo.

Carrara link to discussion is Interested In A New Cloth Sim Plugin for Carrara.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    When there's something for DS I'll definitely be interested. :)
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

Well, I bookmarked this thread :)  I am planning to attempt clothing myself, so much of the information here will come in handy.  As is, I use Hex for morphing my males.  Great tips in here, thank you.

Hello Darwins Mishap(s), I'll be looking for your clothing. Sadly I quit buying G3 Figures after M7 came out since they will not yet work in Carrara. I do have nearly all of G2 and a some earlier.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

well, thank you!  Hopefully that can be soon(ish).  I am still planning to toss a G2M character in my mix here and there, with a possible female or two for each generation as I go along.   As for the clothing- I have so many ideas, but I'll have to start somewhere. lol