Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 1969

no, each version self contained
    infact browser objects such a particles from the older versions have issues in latter ones I have heard.

• StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

I use Carrara for animation. I have found a lot of little things that bug me, not being able to copy/paste keyframes, not selecting nested body parts on a model when moving keyframes, things like this. Puppeteer crashes when I use it, etc. What updates have been made to animation ?

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

The good news is you have access to all the installers in your downloads list. Here is how to obtain the files.

My Account > Itemized Order History > find your Carrara 8.1 order > Reset the download
    My Downloadable Products > Find the Carrara file > Download > install the software

Hope this is helpful.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

I use Carrara for animation. I have found a lot of little things that bug me, not being able to copy/paste keyframes, not selecting nested body parts on a model when moving keyframes, things like this. Puppeteer crashes when I use it, etc. What updates have been made to animation ?
    I copy/Paste Keyframes all the time in Carrara:
    - Select any number of keys to copy
    - Press 'Alt' key while dragging the selected keys to a new location.
    - From there, you are free to drag them, etc.,
    I personally love the feel of it.
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

I. Puppeteer crashes when I use it, etc. What updates have been made to animation ?

Updates? None as far a I know since introduction of puppeteer ( C8 ) which in my opinion is a dismal implementation of the Daz Studio version and as there isno documentaion you ar left to figre it out. Oh I know there is a video tutorial and I even bought infinite skills tuts but neither of these cover Puppeteer in entirety. As implemented in daz studio its a great tool and Carrara version badly needs to catch up.

I dont find it crashes but compared to Daz studio it is very laggy.

Carrara animation tools are good when you get familiar with the keyframes/NLA/ graph editor etc. You have access to every detail which is what makes it both daunting andpowerful but keep at it - you will discover its strengths even though it could be vastly improved but I dont see anything happening before version 9 whenever that might be ????

Tip - You can split an NLA clip by setting the start/finish markers and converting to master clip - it will save the portion between.Then you can drag the new clip back to the timeline. fiddley YES but just one of those things that is simple in DS/ Animate and should be improved in Carrara .

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Has anyone else successfully reloaded scenes containing Genesis content with the current beta of Carrara on Mac?

I created a relatively simple scene - one Genesis figure, V4 hair, two pieces of clothing, one Genesis and one V4 - and saved it.

When I attempted to reload it, Carrara displayed a progress dialog for a short period, and then went into some kind of indeterminate state. No scene is displayed, and the user interface is non-responsive. Carrara is, however, still running and apparently not hung.

I tried a second time and watched Carrara's processor usage using Activity Monitor. Initially, it showed a usage of about 95% CPU, spiking to just over 100%, at which point it became briefly unresponsive. Then, about the time that the progress dialog disappeared, it fell off to just 1-2% CPU, and has remained that way ever since.

The DazTmp folder (where Carrara and DAZ Studio put their temporary files) contains a single new temporary file, which is 0 bytes in length.

I don't think Carrara has strictly crashed or hung - it's still considered to be 'responding' by the operating system. However, I don't think it's ever going to finish loading the scene.

Does this fit with other people's experience of using Genesis on Carrara/Mac, or do you find that it works successfully for you? I haven't had a lot of luck with it so far.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Carrara on a 2.3GHz i7 box with 16GB of RAM, Mountain Lion 10.8.1.

edited December 1969

We are working on the final bugs to have the 8.5 build ready to release. We have one major bug that needs to be fixed, tested then we should be ready to roll out. Not sure the time frame, but it is looking good.

Based on my experience of playing with Carrara 8.5.0.172 on Mac over the last few hours, I'm surprised to hear this. In my experience, it's not even remotely ready for prime time.

I've created two scenes using Genesis figures, and neither can be reloaded. In one case, Carrara simply stops responding. In the other, it reports (rather unhelpfully) that "An I/O error has occurred". Neither was a particularly complex scene.

Applying preset poses to Genesis figures distorts the figures.

Certain kinds of pose presets, including the materials presets, are invisible in the content browser. Effectively, if you want to texture Genesis figures, you have to use Gen 4 materials.

Body parts poke through applied clothing and can't be corrected.

Importing .duf files does not work properly - parented props are misplaced, and meshes appear distorted or wrongly mapped.

I don't want to sound negative, but unless your development build is hugely different from .172, there's no way that you can release it and call it finished software.

Please do not release Carrara 8.5 before it is ready.

Now I'm going to quit whining and file some bug reports.

edited December 1969

so is the next serial going to be up in time or do I start reading a novel on Monday (or God help me, do some housework!!) instead of playing with my computer?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

so is the next serial going to be up in time or do I start reading a novel on Monday (or God help me, do some housework!!) instead of playing with my computer?

check first page please - good until Nov. 1

edited December 1969

I cannot read! I thought t was Sept1 :red:

• Falke 3DFalke 3D Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

CDZCPRO-085-0.000.032-TVE-001-EBTOMAG (Expires 01-November-2012)

Hello I can not insert the valid SN in the field. This is my Version Carrara 8 (64bit) v8.5.0.149.
    Who can i download the new beta ?

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

Download information is found on page one of this thread.

edited September 2012

Sorry I'm a foreigner, I do not look through it more.
    Know Carrara second since version But I can not find the free update version
    Carrara to ever again use with 8.5 can. The link on page 1 for the beta, leads me to the standard retail version of 8.5. As is also true of what to $ 0,
    but I find the link to the update is not yet.

greetings

Pro Licence User.

Post edited by Falke 3D on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Falke 3D said:

Sorry I'm a foreigner, I do not look through it more.
    Know Carrara second since version But I can not find the free update version
    Carrara to ever again use with 8.5 can. The link on page 1 for the beta, leads me to the standard retail version of 8.5. As is also true of what to $ 0,
    but I find the link to the update is not yet.

greetings

I don't know what's going on, but it WAS free since it's still in beta. I just went to the store and this is what I saw (signed in and PC member).

Carrara8.5Beta_.PNG
    781 x 404 - 271K
    edited December 1969

Goog God woman! if I didn't have it I would GRAB IT AND RUN at that price!!!
    put it in your cart NOW!!!
    (and hope you also get 8.1.12 in your downloads as an alternative)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't C8.5 been in beta for over a year now? And how long has it been since the last update?
    Is DAZ down to 4 developers? 3 working on studio and 1 working on carrara?
    I have to wonder if DAZ has bitten off more then it can chew. New forum, new store, new version of studio{genesis} and carrara 8.5 all in the same year.

• brian_d75022d89bbrian_d75022d89b Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

???
    Why do i have to pay now for the beta...it says $139.97??

(i own 8pro)

Wierd

edited December 1969

Goog God woman! if I didn't have it I would GRAB IT AND RUN at that price!!!
    put it in your cart NOW!!!
    (and hope you also get 8.1.12 in your downloads as an alternative)

I would, but my check won't be in until the 10th. I'm enjoying the beta in the meantime.

edited December 1969

yeah, I WAS hoping that was the temp PA production version price!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Yeah, 8.5 has been in beta for quite some time. Isn't it infterestifnfg ho DS can go from 4 to 4.5 in way less time? Methinks Carrara 8.5 isn't getting as much attention from the developers. I mean, c'mon, we Carrarans are starving. lolYeah, 8.5 has been in beta for quite some time. Isn't it infterestifnfg ho DS can go from 4 to 4.5 in way less time? Methinks Carrara 8.5 isn't getting as much attention from the developers. I mean, c'mon, we Carrarans are starving. lol

edited December 1969

you can say that again Jacob!
    oh, you did!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Uh oh, am I ifn twouble now? :P

edited September 2012

Yeah, 8.5 has been in beta for quite some time. Isn't it infterestifnfg ho DS can go from 4 to 4.5 in way less time? Methinks Carrara 8.5 isn't getting as much attention from the developers.

It's true that this Carrara development cycle has been a long one, but you have to remember that the Carrara developers have had to wait for the DAZ Studio developers to do their work. Most of the work on C8.5 is to add support for Genesis and the new file format, so the Carrara team have to wait for the DAZ Studio team to deliver code or a specification and then they can start reworking it to get it into Carrara.

They seem to have done it iteratively to some extent: earlier versions of the beta supported earlier versions of the Genesis implementation, and as Genesis stabilized, Carrara moved to integrate the new code. Still, Carrara has clearly been forced to wait on DAZ Studio, so it's no surprise that it's lagging a bit.

It's also the case that Carrara is a much more complex application than DAZ Studio, and we don't know how much of the core system had to be reworked to support Genesis.

Getting any info out of Mantis is a struggle, but it looks to me - based on the names of developers assigned to bugs - as if there are fairly distinct Carrara and DAZ Studio teams. So I think it's unlikely to be the case that Carrara development was starved in order to get Studio out the door faster. For all we know, the Carrara team may have been working on the Carrara 9 branch while waiting for the Studio team to deliver code and specifications.

I should add that I'm as eager as you are to see Carrara 8.5 delivered, but I hope they'll take the time to do it right, rather than dumping something half-baked in our laps. That being the case, I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

Post edited by bytescapes on
    edited December 1969

To me it would only be enough time to get the direct download link for the beta to
    Carrara than ever to Pro users can just use.

-Thank you ! -

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

What I fear is C8.5 getting rushed out early and buggy just so you'll basically have to buy C9 in order to have fully functional Genesis capability. Wouldn't be the first time bug fixes got pushed back to a new version.

• jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:

I don't know what's going on, but it WAS free since it's still in beta. I just went to the store and this is what I saw (signed in and PC member).

Any update on this? Is the beta no longer free (I am a registered 8.1 user)? Just tried to download the latest beta version and received the same $139 pricing.

edited December 1969

It appears that the free beta is no longer available. Maybe that means the release will be before you can whistle the "1812 Overture". Or the projected end of the world on Dec 21.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Strange - because in the paragraph below it says they are making it available for free. If that is going to be the price for 8.5...forget it!

• tylerzamboritylerzambori Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

And for me the price for the carrara 8.5 beta seems to be $199.95. That is a nominal fee?
    To pay for the bug fixes I already paid for, and didn't get? I don't think so!

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

And for me the price for the carrara 8.5 beta seems to be $199.95. That is a nominal fee?
    To pay for the bug fixes I already paid for, and didn't get? I don't think so!

The question I have regarding the pricing is: will DAZ be charging everyone the same full price when the production version hits the streets? I paid full price for Carrara 8.0 last Dec, It would be patently unfair for DAZ NOT to have upgrade pricing for Carrara. This would be insult added to injury after paying full price for Studio last year, as well.

This discussion has been closed.